Well, I'm certainly not sorry to hear that you've started writing another story (I was beginning to feel the withdrawal when you hadn't update the Girl From Slytherin in a while, but that's all better now). Needless to say, this was outstanding. I've never read another author's work on this site that pulls me in the way yours does - you write so beautifully, you don't just put words together. Instead, you create beautiful sentences and stories, and I could read your stories for that reason alone. But then there's the fact that the stories themselves are brilliant as well! This is a bit like the Girl From Slytherin in a way, because it takes place during the books, only from another perspective. I love it.
I found it a bit confusing in the beginning, though. I have to ask about it: at first, you said it was 1996. Then she remembered the spring of 1997? And then she went back to 1996. Maybe you could make that part a bit clearer :)
Verity seems very interesting, indeed. I love how she liked to collect stories - and those she heard were just horrible. The part with Old Wendy was so tragic! How fate just had no mercy on her, and how she ended up in Azkaban, and how it drove her mad... so sad.
Sebastian is quite interesting as well. However, since you said that this is a George/OC story, I assume that he won't be around for very long. I could almost feel in the air between them that they were about to break up sometime soon - after all, Verity misses who he used to be.
There were little details that just made me sure that I'm going to love this story, so I thought I'd point out my favourite parts:
- Her parents being co-owners of Borgin and Burkes. I can't wait to see what they're like! Maybe it will be a bit like Tor/Yaxley, only I don't think Verity's parents will be nearly as bad as Yaxley is.
- How you had Ernie Macmillan's brother shake their hands and say "terrible, terrible." How very much alike they must be. It's so interesting to think about the life at Hogwarts from the POV of someone a few years older than Harry. It must be completely different.
- Giving Penelope an identity besides being Percy's girlfriend. I hope to get to know more about her story.
- Sebastian, Percy and Penelope competing against each other to be the best student in their year.
- And lastly, these words: "her song trapped within the walls close to my heartbeat, its steady rhythm just out of tune. Her story forever stored within me" Are you sure you're not a reincarnation of some old, famous poet?? I do hope you'll write a book one day. I know I'd buy it.
I noticed one typo: "the three faces to alike and so unlike" I think 'to' should be 'so'.
So to sum things up: I absolutely loved it, and I'm adding it to my favourites. I can't wait to see where it will lead. (I hope you're not sick of me showering you with praise, which is basically all I do when I review your stories, haha!). I look forward to reading more. I also hope you'll update the Girl From Slytherin soon! (yes, that was a hint.) ;)
Author's Response: Hello! :D Please know how much I loved receiving this review, and how excited I am that you enjoyed this new story! :) It really made me so, so happy!
You are seriously just too nice to me. All your kind words are so thoughtful and encouraging for me, and I'm very flattered that you enjoy my writing! :) I just can't handle the wonderful!
I'm glad you enjoyed the first chapter and Verity, and I'll clear up the confusion about the dates! Basically, it takes place near the end of OoP. :) I'm glad you like Verity, and Old Wendy, who I really enjoyed adding in there. Knockturn Alley is really fun to imagine, and I enjoyed populating it with interesting characters!
Yes, Sebastian doesn't come across in the best light, does he? He's not a bad guy, they've just grown apart a lot and Verity does see him with sometimes red-tinted glasses, which isn't very healthy in a relationship! And as for George, well he'll be coming along soon! :P
Thank you for pointing out those enjoyable details, it's very helpful and reassuring to find out what you noticed and enjoyed! :) I had so much fun coming up with these minor characters and placing people in Verity's year. Even though the story doesn't place at Hogwarts, there will be a lot of references and probably flashbacks.
Thank you so much for this review, really I can't express how lovely it was! :D (And updates are coming... soon! I was on hiatus because of exams but have the next chapter of GfS written, minus one scene which I can't quite get right! :P) Thank you again! :)