Hey there, it's DarkRose from the forums.
First off: you, my dear, are a very good writer. In fact, I'm going to favorite this story when I'm done writing here and go see if you've posted anything else I can troll around. :]
Okay, secondly: your characterization of Tony and Ron and actually everyone was really great. I loved all the characters. You wrote for them so well.
Third: This is AU, yes, but I was wondering if you read Deathly Hallows? :] If so, then you already know what I'm gonna say about Fred and the names of Hermione and Ron's kids. If not, then you're going to spazz right now and try to figure out what I'm saying. Still, if you wrote with Fred and these unique kids on purpose: props to you. :]
Fourth: I loved that you made Tony a squib and a vet! So rarely do people write about squibs that it's tragic. And the vet part was a really cute addition.
Fifth (wow this list is getting long): These lines, "After she died, Dad made peace with his oldest enemy. I'll never forget the time I came home and found them there, both asleep on the couch, shaggy ginger hair brushed with grey melding seamlessly with shaggy ginger fur flecked with white. Misery loves company and they shared a desperate aching love for the same missing person, a love strong enough to bury even the largest of hatchets." literally brought me close to tearing up. So sad... poor Crookshanks. :[ (being part-Kneazle must help him live for so very long, haha)
Sixthly (is that even a word?): your passage of time was really well done. Years were passing, people were changing and growing up, life was moving on, and it all flowed seamlessly.
In conclusion: really, really awesome story. I loved it. You did very well. :D
Author's Response: So, you need to know that I've been sitting here, grinning like and idiot, for at least ten minutes after seeing your review pop up. It seriously made my day! Thank you oh so much! And then to say you favorited it, on top of that? And THEN to say you are intrigued enough to read more? Yep, cloud nine and not coming down for a bit. :D
Now, on to respond to the rest of the review.
2. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Sometimes I really struggle with keeping people in character, but this one was much easier. Once I had the first sentence, I just sorta knew "Tony", if that makes sense.
3. Ah, Deathly Hallows. That wonderful book (and I do mean that) that I have a love/hate relationship with. Yes, I've read it, and for the most part, I love it. 98% of it I love. But 2% I don't. I absolutly HATE that Fred died, and I'm not fond of how some of the epilogue played out. Sometimes I suck it up and stick to canon, but sometimes I throw it out the window and write as I imaged or wished it would have ended. This was one of those times. Glad you were able to enjoy the fic anyway!
4. Once again, thanks! It was fun to imagine Tony's character, and I really needed him to be a squib to have that unique perspective of his family. Another reason this had to be AU. Hugo and Rose just didn't work in this.
5. (That's okay, I like long lists.) Awww, thanks! I'm glad someone picked up on that part! I'm a sucker for cats, and the image of Ron with Crookshanks each missing Hermione kinda broke my own heart. And yes, I'm counting on the part kneazle stuff to extend his life.
6. That was the hardest part of writing this, figuring out how to do it without slapping readers in the face with it. So glad it worked!
Thank you so much for this amazing review! I'm so glad I requested in your thread! You rock. :D