16 replies to this topic

#1 TidalDragon

TidalDragon

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

Howdy! I've met some awesome people through responding to reviews and participating on the forums, but I figured it was finally time to go a little bit deeper! 

I'm wide open, but if you want to talk about my own stuff, you can find my Author Page here (Page 12+; Stories M).

Completed: Apogee (M); Calculus (M)

In-Progress: Evolution (M)

Up Next: Outside (M); Shadow Kingdom (M)

Accio questions!

#2 MissesWeasley123

MissesWeasley123

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

HEY!

1. Apogee was brilliant. How did you manage to grasp Remus' character so well?
2. What sort of planning do you do for your stories?
3. Your reviews are great. How often do you review?
4. Who would be your favourite character in Harry Potter?
5. James/Lily or Snape/Lily?

Have fun answering!

standing in the way of the light by patronus_charm [M] and

Avalanche by maraudertimes [M] are great stories!

qt1OS5l.gif

:Gryffindor: ^Elenia is a Graphics Goddess^ :Gryffindor:

this stuff i've written. [15+] whoa, questions. [12+] erm, a gallery [15+]

#3 randomhpffwriter

randomhpffwriter

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Hi :) Here to show you some MTA love.

1) I know that you're a hard-core Harry/Ginny shipper. What is it about them that makes them a great couple, according to you?

2) What is your view on non-canon stories? :p

3) Your reviews are fantastic. What are the things you look into while reviewing a story?

4) If you had the chance to try either Butterbeer or Fire Whiskey, which one would you pick? ;)

5) If you could add one thing to the epilogue, what would it be?

That'll be all for now :) Looking forward to your answers!

:Gryffindor:

QiLjOhD.gif

Bravery in our blood. Determination in our hearts!
Worship this awesome-ness by Elenia! :worshippy:

I've written some stories (12+) Questions awayy! (12+)

#4 TidalDragon

TidalDragon

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Howdy! Thank you both for stopping by (Yes I have been hovering about the forums since I opened this to see if anything happened)!

MissesWeasley123

1. Apogee was brilliant. How did you manage to grasp Remus' character so well?

First off, thank you! :D  As for Remus, I think it all started with the fact that given he's a werewolf, his life had an incredible connection to the moon, so I wanted to involve the moon in the story. In trying to do that, I also realized that the moon, with all its duality, is very similar to the deeper duality in Remus. He's loyal - but he left his wife in the middle of a war. He's brave - but he's deeply insecure about his safety and place in the world. Those who know him recognize him as a good man - but he has to strain to find that in himself. He's basically a tortured man who is desperate for the connections and life that so many take for granted. I then just used that as a base really and tried to make that coalesce in vignettes of his final day that addressed relationships and realities of huge significance to him before his death under the light of his tormentor causes him to reflect and finally achieve a measure of peace.

2. What sort of planning do you do for your stories?
Hmm. Well, I do kind of plan, in the sense that I always have a vision for where I want to start, where I want to end up and certain big moments along the way. I don't write it down or anything, I just have a mental sense about it I guess that's firmly locked in my head. Where I tend to change things or struggle is in the middle areas while I'm progressing from one big moment to the next. In those cases, you'll probably consider my planning method to be flat out weird. I basically act out the characters involved in my head, stopping if something feels wrong and rewinding and revising the scene until when I act it out in my head it just "feels right". Then I have to of course turn that into words, which I sometimes do better than others...  :shrugs: I've probably described this really poorly - and I also totally understand if you are now backing away

3. Your reviews are great. How often do you review?

Thank you again! In terms of frequency, I'm almost constantly reviewing these days. Generally, between work and raising my son, writing my own stories, and the timetable I've imposed on myself for review requests, requests account for most of my reviews. The rest primarily involves seeing someone's chapter update in their status and deciding to give it a chance or something I'm trying to do a much better job of at the moment, R&R-ing for my wonderful housemates like you.  :Gryffindor:

4. Who would be your favorite character in Harry Potter?

Wow. This is hard. I don't think I could really pick just one, so I'll give you my top three. Harry, Ginny, and James Potter (I).

5. James/Lily or Snape/Lily?

Hmm...are you trying to push my buttons? Are you? James/Lily all the way. I don't feel like James/Lily are perfect. If you read my WIP, Evolution (M), you'll see that though James/Lily is endgame, I dedicate a lot of time to developing a James/OC relationship that I feel could have been a legitimate alternative for James if I hadn't predestined it to end. As for Snape/Lily, my specific reasons can be found in other threads, but when I think Snape/Lily I think no. Just no. I've tried to understand it many times, in many different ways and I just can't do it.

randomhpffwriter

1. I know that you're a hard-core Harry/Ginny shipper. What is it about them that makes them a great couple, according to you?

Harry/Ginny!  :hug: Well as you can see from above, I really like Ginny as a character. Is that part of it? Probably. But I also think they are ideally suited. Why? I'll try to keep it brief. #1 Their interests align - see Quidditch, rule-breaking, and family (or for Harry, the people he perceives as his "family"). #2 Their personalities align - see sense of humor, sharp tongues, and standing up for others. #3 Physical attraction - Harry/Ginny have it; Harry/Cho did too, but the other issues made that crash and burn. #4 Ginny gets Harry - Ginny brings him comfort when he's low and she bucks him up when he's being inappropriately dismissive or sulky on a level that no one else does; she's also unfazed by his celebrity #5 Harry gets Ginny - Harry understands that Ginny is an independent firecracker and doesn't want to be treated with kid gloves, he also understands Ginny's darkest experiences in a way that nobody else can; he appreciates who she is, unlike the rest of Hogwarts, who were primarily fixated on how she looks. Yes, this is the succinct version...

2. What is your view on non-canon stories?

A complex question!  I definitely appreciate a well-done AU fic. Once I finally finish my WIP novel, I'm going to start a novel-length one (with possible sequel potential). While I prefer the AU to involve a major change that precedes Hogwarts Era and thus triggers more fundamental alterations to not just one or more characters, but society as well, that's not a hard-and-fast rule. I also definitely appreciate a well-done story where a canon character simply breaks from what we would expect of them whether that is in terms of their actions, who they're paired with, etc. The key words here I suppose are well-done. With AU fics or non-canon portrayals and pairings the big risk is that the plot or characters just aren't believable - changes need to be consistent and need reasonable development and explanation. Hopefully that is the kind of answer you were looking for?

3. Your reviews are fantastic. What are the things you look into while reviewing a story?

Thank you as well! :D Generally when I review, the first thing I look at is word choice. I'm a trial attorney by trade so I really look for what I call strong, evocative language. Your words cannot merely express an idea, they need to paint a picture, set a mood, or make me feel something (that's the evocative part). They also need to be carefully selected from among possible synonyms for maximum impact. Not a big moment? Use the pedestrian word (if you haven't already overused it). Crucial point? Bust out one that is more emphatic or find another method of making it like a superlative. I also pay really close attention to dialogue tags. Sometimes I get really frustrated with myself when writing if I get repetitive or uninventive here, but including actions, expressions, and strong, evocative language in dialogue tags is huge. It gets people more into the conversation. Other than that I look broadly at plot, characterizations, and balance of description, inner thoughts, and dialogue mostly. The biggest questions with plot? Is it believable, does it flow/transition well, and is the pace too fast or too slow? The biggest with characterizations? If the plot gives no reason for someone to not be portrayed consistently with canon, are characters canon-compliant? If it's an OC, do we learn not just about their looks, social circles, and abilities, but get to understand them on a deeper level? If it's a non-canon pairing, does the development of the relationship make sense? And with balance my only concern is whether the whole thing put together works.

4. If you had the chance to either Butterbeer or Fire Whiskey, which one would you pick?

Hmm. Butterbeer. It's always the has beens, sad saps, or irresponsible stag night revelers drowning in Fire Whiskey isn't it? 

5. If you could add one thing to the epilogue, what would it be?

Ahh! In the movie, me as an extra in the scene!  :p In all seriousness though, something simple. Maybe Harry, Ginny, and their kids making their way through the station and Harry helping a bewildered muggleborn get on the platform? It would be a nice little full-circle type thing to get them onto the platform for the rest of the epilogue I think. I actually didn't mind the epilogue after a while. It irritated me when I first read it, but over time I've come to love its simplicity.

Thanks again for stopping by! You are both awesome!  :clap:

#5 nott theodore

nott theodore

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

Hi Kevin!  I meant to get here earlier but I've got some questions for you! :D

1. Both Nadia and Adi have commented on your brilliant reviews - thirded!  Before joining this site, have you ever done something similar to writing reviews before?

2. You're given 24 hours in the wizarding world with no travel restrictions (because obviously you can apparate).  What would you do?

3. Remus in Apogee was wonderful.  Have you always thought of him the way that you wrote him here?

4. Do you have a favourite era to write?  And is it different to your favourite era to read?

5. If you could name your top five stories on the archives, what would they be?

6. What qualities make you a Gryffindor?

7. What is your thought process when it comes to starting a new story?

8. What's the strangest place you've ever had inspiration for a story from?

I look forward to reading your answers! :)

QiLjOhD_zpsc5f38e9a.gif?t=1403108694

Gryffindor House Cup 2014 set by Elenia!

:Gryffindor: Bravery in our blood, determination in our hearts! :Gryffindor:

my stories [12+] my mta [12+]

#6 TidalDragon

TidalDragon

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:27 AM

Howdy Sian! Thank you so much for dropping by! I'm always impressed by your lists of thought-provoking questions when I peruse the MTA section and now I get to answer some myself - huzzah!  :shout:

1. Both Nadia and Adi have commented on your brilliant reviews - thirded! Before joining this site have you ever done something similar to writing reviews before?

Hmm. I suppose so, at least in a sense. Before becoming an attorney, I competed in mock trial for a total of ten years throughout various levels of schooling. During that time (and to this day) I also coached the activity. That required me to really evaluate people's presentation - a lot of which includes word choice, balance, pace, flow, description, and storytelling ability (particularly re: opening statements). With the spoken word it is obviously somewhat different and there are other presentational aspects to consider, but I think a lot of my reviews focus on word choice, balance, description, and more broadly storytelling ability, so I think there are definitely connections. I honestly hadn't thought of this before, but you've given me an excellent realization! Perhaps my reviewing will help improve my coaching too!

2. You're given 24 hours in the wizarding world with no travel restrictions (because obviously you can apparate). What would you do?

Well, I'd have to visit Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade - so that probably knocks out at least six hours right there. I think I would attend (at least part of) a professional Quidditch match (it's my stage now, so I'm boldly asserting there would be a match to see). We'll say that takes about three hours. Then I would eat at the Burrow (because I'd obviously be welcome and I love my food) and probably spend some time answering Arthur's questions about Muggle things. With what would probably be the remaining 12 hours, I would try to experience other wizard cultures - perhaps a succession of portkeys to the United States, a South American country, an African country, and finally ending up with my last three hours in Nepal, which I would use as a launching point to apparate to the summit of Mount Everest. Naturally I'd leave myself time to apparate back down and hope the local wizarding population is kind enough to help me get home after I've milked the very last minute...

3. Remus in Apogee was wonderful. Have you always thought of him the way you wrote him here?

First of all, thank you very much! To answer your question though, yes. My major aim in Apogee was to adequately capture the complexity of his character and his relationships with Tonks, Teddy, his world, his legacy, and himself. I don't know if I really did all that, but that's what I set out to do. I have always thought of Lupin as a deeply introspective, but deeply loving man who exists in constant conflict between how he sees himself, how others see him, and how he hopes to be seen by those who mean the most to him. He is a flawed man, who does so much to help others, but is simultaneously self-defeating at times. It's hard to put into words really without a story I suppose, but to the short answer is again, yes.

4. Do you have a favorite era to write? And is it different to your favorite era to read?

Hard question! Well, I guess in terms of what I've published so far, it's in three different eras. If I had to pick only one favorite, it would be post-Hogwarts because you can still play with the major canon characters, but you have a bit more latitude to develop them and watch them grow. While you can be incredibly versatile in any era, I think post-Hogwarts allows you to be especially creative in contrasting hope and darkness because that's how I look at the time after the war being and I find stories with that contrast compelling. The Marauders' Era is a close second though. I love the freedom to explore it provides while still having some ties to canon and retaining the ability to contrast hope and darkness (albeit in reverse from post-Hogwarts).

As for reading, I can really read just about anything in terms of eras if it's written well. I prefer to shy away from Founders'...and Hogwarts too (unless it's an impeccable AU), though credit to you and Bow, Begin (M) for making me re-think my position on the Founders' Era if I can ever get my time squared away right to do some more exploratory reading.  :good:

5. If you could name your top five stories on the archives, what would they be?

SO HARD. Especially since I'm pretty new. In no particular order: The Wandering One (M) by Lululuna, Clash (M) by shez, Gravel on the Ground: From the Ashes (M) by 1917farmgirl, This Devilry (M) by academica, and (I'm going to cheat here) The Nightingale's Lament (M) by you and The Unknown (M) by maraudertimes. I cannot say this enough (and most people probably already know it about these stories) but they are SO GOOD and all the authors SO TALENTED.  :clap:

6. What qualities make you a Gryffindor?

Well, I would say I'm brave - though perhaps not in a typical sense - because I would characterize my bravery as a sort of relentless faith and determination in my ability to succeed at the path I've chosen. Wow. That sounds incredibly conceited, but I promise I'm actually a relatively humble guy. But I also come with the classic Gryffindor flip of recklessness. Professionally I am incredibly focused and organized, but personally I take chances and I have made big mistakes. I don't regret them because they've (almost) always led to something good, but yeah...they've still been bad choices in retrospect. I know there's this fierce debate about whether loyalty belongs solely to Hufflepuffs, but I'm going to include it here because I think we Lions are entitled to claim it too. Loyalty is my number one value. Period.

7. What is your thought process when it comes to starting a new story?

That depends. If it's for a challenge, I'm going to do something that pushes me in a new direction. I will find a way to make sure that happens in my challenge entries. If it's a story I've just decided to write on my own, if I can't see it being at least novella-length, I'm probably not going to do it. As I've mentioned in other topics on the forums, my writing process is a little unorthodox. To get to where I want to be, I need to be able to act out my own story in my head and feel it and grow with it, so that's the reason I prefer longer things for my own stories. Once I've decided to write one of those though, I usually have all the big moments (waypoints) in mind and then leave myself free to adapt in between them - though I never write out of order. I hope that answers your question?  :whistling1:

8. What's the strangest place you've ever had inspiration for a story from?

I don't know if it qualifies as truly strange because it partly includes music, but I was listening to a particular song while being forced to settle for toast and leftover grits for dinner and I suddenly imagined my next project after Evolution is finished - exploring an incredi-dark AU founded on no prophecy + Voldemort wins in the 80s. Man, that sounds like too a really over-used AU doesn't it? But seriously, when I ever get there, it's going to be awesome - you just have to trust me.  :yes: And I have primarily the gruel-like consistency of grits to thank for it. May the edit reflect that I actually love grits despite the harsh reality of their consistency.

Wow! That was hard! But it was also incredibly fun! When I stop procrastinating the end of my next chapter of Evolution and my one-shot for the only challenge I entered that is still open, I'll absolutely repay you!  :bye:

Edited by TidalDragon, 01 May 2014 - 12:30 AM.

#7 MissesWeasley123

MissesWeasley123

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:53 AM

I'm not stalking you promise :p

1. I see you ship Hannah/Neville! Woohoo! Did you ever at any point ship Neville with Luna? What do you like about Hannah that seems like she would be better with Neville than Luna would be?
2. What are your thoughts on non canon pairings like Ron/Luna or Harry/Hermione? If they had happened, would you have been upset?
3. What was the last book you read?

Hm, that's all for now :D Looking forward to your answers Kevin, have fun answering!

Edited by MissesWeasley123, 29 May 2014 - 01:58 AM.

qt1OS5l.gif

#8 TidalDragon

TidalDragon

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:50 AM

Howdy Nadia! Good to see you here again! And for the record, I'm totally okay with people stalking my MTA thread...  :thumbsup: Anybody else out there? :crickets:  :p

Anyway...on to your questions!

1. I see you ship Hannah/Neville! Woohoo! Did you ever at any point ship Neville with Luna? What do you like about Hannah that seems like she would be better with Neville than Luna would be?

Nope. I just never saw it. I actually discussed this with Karou/flameseeker3000 the other day. For me, Hannah is just a better complement. By the end of the series, Neville's bravery, loyalty and fierce protectiveness shine through. While he's still reserved, he has become a leader who leads by example. I see Hannah as also being protective and loyal, but she fills in one of Neville's gaps in that she's more outgoing. On the other hand, I see Luna as more suited to who Neville used to be. Neville was shy, different, and lacking confidence. Luna is self-confident and self-aware, but she's still a quirky outcast I think in most people's eyes. There's also the added point that Neville is more grounded in reality and I think would have difficulty over time indulging Luna's constant inquisitiveness and flights of fancy. I can see where Neville/Luna has underdog appeal, but I just don't see Neville as an underdog by the end of DH. He's moved beyond that and he's moved beyond (in my opinion anyway) the point in his life where he and Luna would work.

2. What are your thoughts on non-canon pairings like Ron/Luna or Harry/Hermione? If they had happened, would you have been upset?

I'll answer your second question first. The only non-canon pairings that would have upset me if they had appeared to be endgame canon would be ones that don't make sense without a lot of extra growth or development of the relationship between the characters. For instance, Draco/Hermione  :couch:. Tracking back to answer your second question, I'll lead with this - my answers will shock some and possibly ruffle some feathers. I'll lead with the feathers. Where Ron and Hermione are concerned, I was just never sold. I mean, I get it. And I'm totally okay with Ron/Hermione. But that's all I'll ever feel for it...it was okay. I can definitely see either of them with other people. Now for the shock (for those that know my OTP). I actually originally shipped Harry/Hermione. :ohmy: Even after HBP, I was quite "ehh" on Harry/Ginny. :ohmy:  :ohmy: I still thought Ginny was a great character, but being young, I wanted that obvious literary power couple - the hero and the heroine. Just before the release of DH though, I re-read the series (being a bit older and having more life experience). And it was like BOOM! :nuke: Harry/Ginny is totally brilliant. And they actually fit a lot better than Harry/Hermione ever would (again, just my opinion). That said, I can still read Harry/Hermione. I prefer it as an angsty Hermione-POV settling for Ron, or seeing what she missed in Harry/Ginny, or something like that. But as long as the characters are not OOC, I can also read a Harry/Hermione pairing, so long as it's well-developed (not fluff) and well-reasoned (not Weasley-bashing, Ginny as super-manipulative or unfaithful, etc. :yucky: ). So...that was an incredibly long answer right? But basically I can read most any pairing so long as it fits those criteria: well-reasoned and well-developed. I'll always have my preferences: Harry/Ginny, James/Lily, Neville/Hannah!  :D But I'm not so close-minded as to ignore good stories just because they violate that.

3. What was the last book you read?

Well, this is embarrassing  :blush:. The last fiction book I read was like...nine months ago? Penguin Lost by Andrey Kurkov. It's super! Very dark. And a sequel. But super! The last book of any kind I read though was The ABCs of Traffic Law (last month). Scintillating I know, but I really needed to enhance my knowledge of certain aspects of it for my job and now that I'm done - mission accomplished. I'm promised I would read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (as recommended by a friend) next, but I have no idea when that's going to happen. I'm kind of afraid to mess up my writing by reading any fiction right now...

Thanks for the questions Nadia! You are awesome!

Edited by TidalDragon, 29 May 2014 - 02:52 AM.

#9 MissesWeasley123

MissesWeasley123

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

Kevin you almost make me okay with Hinny :p

I mainly just wanted to comment because FINALLY. SOMEONE WHO HAS HEARD OF THE NAME OF THE WIND BY ROTHFUSS BESIDES ME. Definitely read it when you get the time :p

and because I don't want to spam, I'll ask you another question :p

1. I read your Pansy story. Wow. Being a guy is it hard to write a girl? Especially a jealous Astoria and then just Pansy in general?

qt1OS5l.gif

#10 TidalDragon

TidalDragon

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:14 AM

Well. Now I've officially received a recommendation to read it from every person who had heard of it. Impressive. I will have to find time for sure!

1. I read your Pansy story. Wow. Being a guy is it hard to write a girl? Especially a jealous Astoria and then just Pansy in general?

First off, I'm assuming a good "wow", so thank you! Is it hard being a guy writing a girl? Woof. This question you dropped just because you "don't want to spam" is SO HARD, Nadia! After several failed attempts to clearly convey how I approach it, I'll keep it simple. I am frequently nervous about how my female characters will be received. Writing female-only, private interactions is a challenge. Giving detailed descriptions of a female character's appearance (outside a male POV) is a challenge. Writing the girl's POV on attraction, flirting, and interactions with their crush, significant other, or spouse. What isn't a challenge? Writing the internal stuff. We're all more the same in that regard than either gender wants to admit. We all want to do well. We all want to look good. We all want to love and be loved in return. I'm going to assume you think I do a good job at it (if so, I'm very flattered). I wish I could tell you how I do it, but I've tried to type that out and I really can't.

As far as jealous Astoria, she wasn't too tough. I knew all along how I wanted to play her in this story and other than the end, she was pretty easy. Pansy was more difficult. She has a very distinctive attitude in canon (because she represented girls that JKR didn't like when she was younger). I wanted to make her less one-dimensional. I needed her to keep that attitude, but also explain how she got there and how she now struggled. I needed to write her exclusively among people she actually liked, and among people she now had to privately hate. And the whole thing I'm not going spoil here. Hopefully I did that. Again, I guess I've done a completely unsatisfactory job of telling you how, haven't I? :sorry:

At any rate, thank you very much for the free question!

#11 nott theodore

nott theodore

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 537 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

Kevin!  I've been wondering a few things ever since reading Porcelain Marionette (which is wonderful, by the way) and wanted to stop by!

1. What made you want to write such a dark story from the prompts?

2. Which part of writing the story was the most difficult?

3. Is this now your head canon for how Draco and Astoria got together?

4. How did you come up with the title?

QiLjOhD_zpsc5f38e9a.gif?t=1403108694

Gryffindor House Cup 2014 set by Elenia!

:Gryffindor: Bravery in our blood, determination in our hearts! :Gryffindor:

my stories [12+] my mta [12+]

#12 TidalDragon

TidalDragon

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:14 AM

Howdy Sian!  :happy: Thank you for the kind words (and for stopping by)!

1. What made you want to write such a dark story from the prompts?

Bear with me, because I definitely didn't look at them and say - "dark story time" - it was more of a thought-chain thing that just happened as I read down the list.

So it started with me wanting to write about Pansy and give her a little more depth by exploring her post-war. Then when I saw the Ministry of Magic as a location, I thought, Pansy always acted better than everyone and I bet in school she probably thought she would be some super-influential mover-and-shaker. The war had to have turned that on its head with her beliefs and her suggestion to turn over Harry to Voldemort, so I can inflict some suffering by making her bottom of the totem pole and keep her attitude nicely by exploring her thoughts about it all. Then I saw Remembrall and knew I had to do something really different with that one - what better way than to explore the old question - what happened to Draco/Pansy? And then I thought of all the Draco/Astoria portrayals out there where Astoria is a "different" Slytherin who helps Draco grow and drives him to bury his past and said, you know, I want to flip that on its head. Let's do both at once and make Dark Astoria the reason behind the end of Draco/Pansy. The story was born.  :shifty:

2. What part of writing the story was most difficult?

First, was the incorporation of the phrases from Pansy's childhood indoctrination throughout the story. I had to write those in a way that made them easily repetitive and almost cult-like, but that I could still somehow incorporate later in the story after Pansy is out from under the thumb of her parents and Governess. And then I had to actually incorporate them in a way that wasn't too ridiculous or over the top.

Second, Pansy's "morning-after" she was first obliviated by Astoria. I wanted to capture her confusion there and the post-obliviation sensation I imagined might linger after such a powerful memory was purged while avoiding alcohol as the culprit. I wanted to give the setting a darker tone as some subtle foreshadowing that everything was not as it seemed, while writing Astoria as so kind and so helpful that you would never see the end coming.

Last, obviously the ending. I wanted to give Pansy some emotion in the scene, despite the fact that she's been raised to be pretty cold, but without having her "lose it". Then I had to do the Dark Astoria reveal, all the while praying people could look back and think - man there was this nugget and this, and it makes sense but how did I not see it?! because I wanted it to have some real shock value without being totally without set up.

Honestly, this piece as a whole took a lot out of me. :sweat: That's probably why I have not been able to get straight back into Evolution as I planned. 

3. Is this now your head canon for how Draco and Astoria got together?

Sort of? It's a yes in the sense that it's much harder for me now to imagine Good Astoria. But at the same time, part of me still says no because I just always got the vibe from canon that Pansy was more into Draco than he ever was to her. True, the whole pureblood courtship thing I included could take care of that, but it would still bug me a little. It can be my head canon until someone dislodges it though.  :p

4. How did you come up with the title?

To start, full confession - I am really obsessive about my titles. I will often spend hours thinking them up. Sometimes I have to take breaks from brainstorming a title like many people take breaks from writing a chapter. And I can't even start writing a fic until I've titled it so...

Anyway. Remember that seemingly super-fast seamless process I described in question 1? Not so seamless. When I first saw Pansy, I spent a good amount of time before scrolling down in which I rapidly planned a multi-chapter fic more centered on how Pansy had basically been created and manipulated her entire life by her family, their belief system, the pressure of being a Slytherin, and then post-war being forced to bow to the will of the Shacklebolt regime and the collective hero-worship of Harry, Ron, Hermione, etc. (who she hated). So from that came the idea of Pansy as a "marionette". Then I knew that Pansy was a hard girl who would've been shaped to act like and think of herself like royalty. So from that came "porcelain" - people often use that word to positively described someone, typically female, who appears flawless (i.e. their skin most prominently). But the reality of both that and porcelain dolls (which a porcelain marionette would be) is that they are actually fragile if dropped. And post-war, the world would have come crashing down on Pansy. 

In the end though, after completing the rest of the process I described, I realized the title could still apply. The family, belief, and post-war issues would still all be there, but now Astoria would just be another pulling the strings in Pansy's life without her noticing until it was too late.

Thank you very much for the thought-provoking questions! They were both tough and enjoyable to answer!  :thumbsup:

Edited by TidalDragon, 02 June 2014 - 12:18 AM.

#13 Infinityx

Infinityx

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

Whoo! Found your page. :D Some questions for you!

1. What inspired you to give such a plot twist in Calculus and leave me in shock? Really, that poor girl who was sent to Azkaban. :( Just. Why. (I shall review soon, promise.)

2. Puddlemere United or Holyhead Harpies? :D

3. Do you always underline certain words?  :p What's your OTP? 

4. If you could only write one era for the rest of your HPFF writing life, which would it be? 

5. Would you rather fight a Welsh Green or a Swedish Short Snout? :D

6. Which Hogwarts class would be your favorite?

7. aaand since I keep seeing you ask this question, which Quidditch ball would you compare yourself to?

Have fun! :D

Author Page (M) 

JulNo Word Count: 30,012/50,000

celsa sub conveniant aquila sapientes mentes - let wise minds gather under the proud eagle

#14 HEG

HEG

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

Here are a few questions!

1. What is your favourite sport?

2. Who do you like to ship the most?

3. Why did you get into writing?

4. Who is your favourite out of the Golden Trio?

5. How do you come up with plot ideas?

Have fun answering!!

Qhp49Cb.gif

:Gryffindor: Bravery in our blood, determination in our hearts :Gryffindor:

Awesome sig by Eleina!! @hpff and tda

#15 TidalDragon

TidalDragon

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

Questions!  :yahoo:

Howdy Erin! I'm glad you found it - I love your questions! Sorry for omitting your smilies BTW, but I've got to have room for mine, right?

1. What inspired you to give such a plot twist in Calculus and leave me in shock? Really, that poor girl who was sent to Azkaban.  :( Just. Why.

First of all, I don't know how to do that fancy "spoiler" thing - so anybody who is reading or wants to read Calculus, but isn't done yet. SPOILERS!

I guess for me, I started with the idea in mind that I wanted a plot-twist ending. The story itself was going to be somewhat in the mold of a classic procedural, but I wanted to do more "season finale" style than "standard episode". Then I almost immediately decided that twist would be Hermione as mastermind. We're post-war. Hermione is flashing her ferocity by powering through reforms. There's this huge obstacle that could make much of it meaningless right at the bitter end. And she's had it, right? So we know she's a Gryffindor so she has the nerve and bravery (admittedly a darker look at the latter) to do this. She is brilliant - almost in Ravenclaw - so we know she has the intellectual wherewithal to plan this out and have the perfect patsy ready to go. Plus she's nearly guaranteed to know the investigative team the way I laid out Harry, Ron, and Neville's positions in the Auror Office - so she has a little more latitude. And Hermione has the capacity for truly cruel rationality - we cannot forget Marietta Edgecombe. As far as why? Honestly? Because I wanted to.  :devil:

2. Puddlemere United or Holyhead Harpies?

Holyhead Harpies. Because Ginny.

3. What's your OTP?

Harry/Ginny - all the way. I have rambled too many times about them, but they are awesome. Excellent complements for one another. Also, don't believe the haters. They all tend to hate on Ginny and if you keep it objective, Ginny is awesome. (And yes, I do always underline certain words. :p I use it instead of italics because for some reason I just don't like how they look on the forums - and I don't want to be that guy that uses a different font than everyone else).

4. If you could only write one era for the rest of your HPFF writing life, which would it be?

Well, I'm going to modify this a little bit to include "after you're done with Evolution". But given that tiny tweak, it would be Post-Hogwarts for sure. I just love being able to focus on the more immediate aftermath of the war with the canon characters (or, I don't know, write some crazy AU that won't get out of my head that is primarily going to be set in Post-Hogwarts and could possibly become multiple novels...).  ;)

5. Would you rather fight a Welsh Green or a Swedish Short Snout?

If I pick the Welsh Green and live to tell the tale, it's a conversation piece when I meet Fleur Delacour. But it's also kind of the wimp dragon of the lot in GoF... Then the Swedish Short Snout has alliteration going for it, plus it's pretty hardcore. And it's rarely seen or encountered by humans. I'm going to go with the Swedish Short Snout. Way cooler to talk about if I live.

6. Which Hogwarts class would be your favorite?

Charms or Defense. As you can see from the icon in my signature, I have a certain tendency to improvise (yeah..."wing it"). They seem to have the most capacity for that. Plus Charms seems to be the most ubiquitous area of magic, so if I can pick only one, then Charms. An added reason - because while I'm not afraid to stride into battle if need be, my default is diplomacy.

7. aaand since I keep seeing you ask this question, which Quidditch ball would you compare yourself to?

I'm the Quaffle. I tend to go with the flow in life, but I always find my way to the goal.

Howdy to you too Missy! Thanks for the questions! I always enjoy broad ones.

1. What is your favourite sport?

You don't even realize how hard a question this is! :ohmy: I'm an intense sports fan. College (American) football is a family thing and so passion for that is in my blood. Baseball was always my first love and I loved playing it and had the most eventual success with it. Soccer/Football was the sport I probably had the most natural talent at and I am really into it too. Ultimately, I have to go with baseball. I played it the longest and got the furthest with it. And I love the intellectual aspect of understanding the strategy that is demanded for really any fan to actually appreciate it. And there's always something special about a first love, right?

2. Who do you like to ship the most?

Harry/Ginny. They are the best. They can cheer me up. They inspire me. I just can't say enough about how much I love Harry/Ginny.

3. Why did you get into writing?

Generally? Well, I guess I've always been more verbal than anything else. I also have a mind that's kind of constantly running - it's a total double-edged sword in my life, but I still wouldn't trade it for the world. It's just sometimes I need to write it all down. I was also really imaginative at a very young age and coming up with stories and such and so writing became the natural outlet for those (even if they were terrible because I was like 5). Now, writing non-fiction is crucial for me professionally. As for fiction, the challenge to constantly improve yourself is always great for me. The process is also inspiring, cathartic, or both for me depending on what I'm writing. I really needed writing to bring me out of bad times I've been through recently and it hasn't let me down.  :happy:

4. Who is your favorite out of the Golden Trio?

Well, it's not Ron. Choosing between Harry and Hermione is incredibly difficult, but I'm going to have to go with Hermione. Her suffering really gets glossed over by a lot of people and to endure what she endured and do what she had to do to help Harry succeed - and then not break - that alone is amazing. Then you add in her smarts and the depth of her friendship...yeah. Hermione.

5. How do you come up with plot ideas?

I wish I had a brilliant answer for you. Outside of challenge prompts, which I just sit about and think for awhile about how I could do something cool, they really just pop into my head. Sometimes it's me asking myself "what ifs" (hello AU plot ideas) or hearing a song or just pondering a character or relationship (romantic or otherwise) in the books and I feel compelled to write it. I suppose it's important to note too that I really don't often start with a particular plot in mind. Instead I start with characters or connections or conflicts in mind and the plot kind of rises up around them along the way. I feel like this is probably the most woeful answer a person on HPFF has ever given to this question, but it's just the honest truth for me.

WOW! So that turned out to be incredibly long! Thank you very much Erin and Missy for the questions! You're both great and I had a great time answering them! Don't be strangers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users