#1 -BookDinosaur-

-BookDinosaur-

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

:signwelcomespin:

Hi! My name is BookDinosaur, but most people call me Emily. I've been an author here since June but I've been reading the stories here for quite a while before that. I love green tea, Harry Potter, Evanescence, Shinedown, history, Midnight Oil and reading in no order. I'm a Ravenclaw with a small dog called Timmy and a proud Aussie.

:Ravenclaw: &  :ausflag:

So, I think this is the bit where you ask me questions. I'd be glad to answer any and all comments you have, and these are my currently posted stories:

snake (M oneshot)
Being a wizard is a gift. Being able to talk to snakes is a rare gift. And sometimes, gifts like that can tear friendships apart.
Written for Courtneyd's Uncomfortable Challenge!

A Christmas Cat (15+ oneshot)
 Going to Hogwarts isn't as easy as it seems. It means leaving your family behind, if only for a year. And Rose Weasley is determined that her brother will have something to remember her by.
Written as a Christmas gift for my Secret Santa, Gina (justonemorefic)!

Doorsteps (15+ oneshot)

Give it back?” Vernon exploded. “I should hope we can give it back! I’m not about to let a common brat off the street share a house with my Dudley!”
An otherwise normal day, with a normal family, in a normal house.
Winner of xTimeTurnerx's Missing Moment Canon Challenge and written for AlPotterFan's Rick Riordan Quote Challenge.

gone. (15+ oneshot)

he wasn't gone.
(Denial. Denial, and then more denial because didn't they always say denial was the first step?)
Winner of the Winter Writer's Duel 2013 - Prompt Four

Trapped (15+ oneshot)

I hate this. I hate this, I hate this, I hate this. I'm just a butterfly on display in a glass jar.
But I can't tell them. I could never tell them.

Filch's Pet Peeve (15+ short story, WIP)

Peeves: Every school caretaker's worst nightmare.
When Argus Filch devises a plan to get rid of Peeves for once and for all, he never expected it to go so horribly wrong.

Inside the Tent (15+ oneshot)

Dean Thomas inside the tent.
Winner of MadiMalfoy's The Maze Runner Quote Challenge!

Thanks for stopping by!  :)

Edited by stargazer, 03 February 2014 - 04:54 PM.

y'all can call me emily 

nanoiscomingsigbymilominderbinder_zpsf87

stunning sig by milominderbinder @ TDA

nano mummy to: Mary, Maia, Sara, Mallory || nano daughter to: Lisa, Isobel, Sara, Mary, Mallory || nano wordcount: 0 / 50,000

I like to write (12+) | | ask me stuff (12+)

#2 HeyMrsPotter

HeyMrsPotter

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hello Emily! I love a new MTA to post in :D

1. What are your favourite canon and non canon pairings?
2. Which book in the HP series is your favourite?
3. How did you start writing fan fiction?
4. If you could spend the day with any HP character who would you choose and what would you do?

Have fun answering!

311rw9k.png

Banner  and profile image by Slytherinchica08, who is amazing.

#3 -BookDinosaur-

-BookDinosaur-

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hi Dee! :D

1. What are your favourite canon and non canon pairings?

I love James/Lily for sure, especially when they're well developed so that Lily's transition from hating to loving James seems natural. As for non-canon, I generally tend to avoid those pairings but I guess the Sorting Hat and Luna's Lion Hat would be the perfect couple.
2. Which book in the HP series is your favourite?

Maybe Prisoner of Azkaban? That's when Harry meets Sirius, Remus and Buckbeak (he's possibly the best character of them all) and when all the action in the series starts.
3. How did you start writing fan fiction?

Ah, I was bored last summer holidays and googled 'harry potter fanfiction'. I came across and loved HPFF and a year later, I mustered up the courage to make my own account. I don't regret that at all. :)
4. If you could spend the day with any HP character who would you choose and what would you do?

I can only pick one?! Buckbeak, then. Buckbeak because I don't really have to worry about whether we'll hit it off, because I won't need to use my abominable conversational skills, and because he's an ex-fugutive. Triple win!

Thank you for the questions! I did have fun answering them. :D

y'all can call me emily 

nano mummy to: Mary, Maia, Sara, Mallory || nano daughter to: Lisa, Isobel, Sara, Mary, Mallory || nano wordcount: 0 / 50,000

#4 MissesWeasley123

MissesWeasley123

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 374 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Hello Emily! I have some questions for you as well!

1. How does winning NaNo feel like?
2. How do you go on about editing your work?
3. What would you describe your writing style as?
4. Is there a piece another author has written that you like most?
5. You said you like Jily, but how about canon Snily? So it's still Snily, but Snape and Lily do not end up together.
6. Is there a character you couldn't write?
7. What's your favourite genre to write and read?

And I'll stop now since seven is the most magical number ;) have fun answering! :D

#5 -BookDinosaur-

-BookDinosaur-

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

Hello Nadia! :)

1. How does winning NaNo feel like?

Well, my when I won NaNo my family compared the noises I wwas making as akin to a dying cat, but honestly, despite that, it felt wonderful. I'd worked so hard to get to 50K, and knowing I'd acheived my goal was amazing. :)
2. How do you go on about editing your work?

Normally I edit as I go, so that when I go back and read over it again I can add a sentence here or there but I don't need to worry about spelling, grammar, etc. Of course, whe I did NaNo I had to stop editing as I go (although my inner speller point-blank refused to spell words incorrectly) so now the editing is a lot more grueling.
3. What would you describe your writing style as?

Does unknown count? Okay, I'd pick surprising because when I write something inside me takes over. Take my Winter Writer's Duel piece, I meant it to be lovely and fluffy and Christmassy, but it turned out really angsty, so I read it over and I was just like woah.
4. Is there a piece another author has written that you like most?

Ah, there are lots! I love Kiana's Acanthus, and all of Jenna's work is just beautiful. I also really like Kristin's parody oneshots. :)
5. You said you like Jily, but how about canon Snily? So it's still Snily, but Snape and Lily do not end up together.

Ah, I don't know! I mean, in my head Jily is just the perfect couple and I can't handle someone else getting in the way. :p But as with almost anything, if it's well-written or somone recommends it to me I'll probably give it a chance.
6. Is there a character you couldn't write?

Well, I would have said Dumbledore but then he decided to waltz into one of my stories and reviewers said he was characterised well, so yeah. I think the hardest for me would be trying to write about the Golden Trio, as JK has just shaped them so perfectly I don't think I could write them like she does.
7. What's your favourite genre to write and read?

I've discovered that writing angst is actually a pretty good experience, even though it makes me despressed if I do it right. :p And I love reading most things really, it's just AU I steer clear of (but then again, if it's very well-written AU I'll probably give it a chance). If you're going to make me pick a favourite I'd probably say well done romantic fluff. (I know that's two things and I'm cheating. Shh.)

Thanks so much for all the magical questions Nadia, I loved answering them! :D

Edited by -BookDinosaur-, 28 December 2013 - 05:52 PM.

y'all can call me emily 

#6 WeasleyTwins

WeasleyTwins

Sixth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hello!  I love visiting writer's MTA pages and asking loads of questions, so I thought I'd pop by! :happy:

1. What is your patronus?

2. If I were to brew Amortentia, what would you smell?

3. What is your favorite genre to write?  To read?  Why?

4. What is your writing routine?  I.e., do you have to listen to a particular artist or must it be a certain time of day?

5. What are some of your favorite authors and books outside of our lovely HP?

:give_rose:

The Seams [M]

2013 Dobby Awards Winner for Best Minor Character

2ebbytt.png

Author's Page [M]                   Meet the Author [12+]

Gorgeous set by alchemyfreak123 @ TDA

#7 -BookDinosaur-

-BookDinosaur-

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

1. What is your patronus?
I think my best guess would be a fox, or possibly an owl? I mean, I'm pretty smart, but I'm also quite cunning (my second House was Slytherin) but I'm also really lazy, so actually maybe a cat would suit me, even though I'm not really a cat person.
2. If I were to brew Amortentia, what would you smell?
Well, I absolutely love the smell of old books, so definitely that. I also have a strange affiliation with the bitter smell of sap, so that too, and the third thing which comes to mind is jasmine. I don't know whether they'd smell nice all at once, but oh well. ;)
3. What is your favorite genre to write? To read? Why?
Ah at the moment I think I like writing angst best, because it's so draining for me but it's so lovely to write somehow. But it changes from time to time. And to read, probably something like fluffy romance or humour or parody, anything which makes me laugh. But if it's something that really well-written I'll probably enjoy it anyway.
4. What is your writing routine? I.e., do you have to listen to a particular artist or must it be a certain time of day?
I don't have a set routine really, I just write when I have the time or when I feel like it. The one thing I do need is privacy and nobody looking at my work, even if it's just that I'm tucked into the corner of the living room typing. I also dislike loud noises, although I can ignore it if I have to. Music is pleasant but not really needed.
5. What are some of your favorite authors and books outside of our lovely HP?
There are so many! I love Tamora Pierce's work, she's fantastic at setting her stories in completely different worlds and pulling it off seamlessly (no pun intended). Rick Riordan's work is great, I love Philippa Gregory's War of the Roses series, The Hunger Games series, The Fault in our Stars, To Kill a Mockingbird, Black Beauty, The Princess Bride, The Help and I need to stop before this gets too out of hand. :p

Thanks so much for all the questions, Shelby, I had fun answering them! :D

y'all can call me emily 

#8 nott theodore

nott theodore

nott a prefect anymore

• 618 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

Emilyyyyyyy! :hug:  You have an MTA page! :frolic:  Now I get to ask you questions about your lovely stories!

1. How has your time on HPFF changed since you started writing?

2. What's your favourite thing about the forums?

3. Which of your stories is your favourite?

4. What qualities do you think make you a Ravenclaw?

5. You've read so many books this year (I've been snooping on the 50 books challenge thread) - is there a writer aside from J.K. Rowling that has influenced your writing a lot?

6. Can you give us any clue about when we'll get to read your NaNo novel? :happy:

7. Which of the characters you've written about so far has been your favourite?  Which was the hardest one to write?

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll be back at some point - Merry Christmas!  :jazzy:

Posted Image

Set by anyroad @ TDA

my stories [12+] my mta [12+]

#9 -BookDinosaur-

-BookDinosaur-

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:10 AM

Siiaaaan! :hug: Ah, thank you!

1. How has your time on HPFF changed since you started writing?
I think I've become more experienced and more confident in myself and my writing abilities. I'm trying to be a more active part of the forums as well - I've entered a couple of challenges and been posting a lot more.
2. What's your favourite thing about the forums?
The community spirit! Everyone is just so lovely and friendly to everyone else all the time, and it's great to have a place where I can rave about HP. :wub:
3. Which of your stories is your favourite?
Ah, I don't know! I think at the moment gone. is because it's the first really angsty piece I've written and I had so much fun writing it. :)
4. What qualities do you think make you a Ravenclaw?
Well, I'm book smart (ask me to do something practical like cooking and I'm terrible), I've always striven towards more academic goals, and on a more petty note, blue is my favourite colour. Plus most of my friends are very witty people, so you can tell how much I value that. :)
5. You've read so many books this year (I've been snooping on the 50 books challenge thread) - is there a writer aside from J.K. Rowling that has influenced your writing a lot?
Tamora Pierce creates amazing heroines for her books, they're such brilliant characters so it try to follow that lead whenever I can. I definitely learnt a thing or two from John Green about angst, and the action sequences in Rick Riordan's work are pretty good. :) There are more, of course, but I don't want this to get out of hand.
6. Can you give us any clue about when we'll get to read your NaNo novel?
Ohh. *coughs uncomfortably* Well, I'm editing it now, and I think it will make an appearance before January is over. In the worst case scenario it might not be put in the queue until February? But I'm trying to avoid that. ;)
7. Which of the characters you've written about so far has been your favourite? Which was the hardest one to write?
I like Jaz, she's completely crazy and I can pretty much do or say anything with her and it'll go. That hardest one would be a toss up between Lily in Trapped and the unnamed Muggle woman in gone. because they were both quite angsty characters, and Lily especially was very bitter, but the Muggle woman was grieving hard, so I guess they're a tie. :p

Thank you so much for all the questions, Sian! :hug:

y'all can call me emily 

#10 marauderfan

marauderfan

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

You left me questions, so it's only fair that I do the same! So here goes :D

1. What is your favourite part about writing? What is easiest for you, and what is the hardest?

2. What made you decide to write a fic about Filch and Peeves?

3. You write really excellent angsty/sad characters. How do you do it?

4. Some of your stories feature OCs and some focus on canon characters - which do you prefer to write?

5. What is your favourite spell in the HP books?

6. if you could be any tree, what would you be and why?

...well, you don't have to answer #6 if you don't want to, haha. That's all for now, I'm sure I'll be back again! Enjoy :)

Jayne2_zps9bcf5f52.png

my stories [12+] | MTA [12+]

NaNo: 0/50,000

#11 -BookDinosaur-

-BookDinosaur-

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

Aww thank you Kirstin! :hug:

1. What is your favourite part about writing? What is easiest for you, and what is the hardest?

I love just writing, sitting just there and feeling like I'm being productive and ideas are coming. The easiest part for me would be the writing as well, because all the planning and fussy stuff is out of the way and I can just write. I think the hardest thing would be when I have to go back over my work and edit it, especially if I've tried to turn my inner editor off while actually writing the piece (*cough* my NaNo novel *cough*). :p

2. What made you decide to write a fic about Filch and Peeves?

Ah I always loved Peeves in the books and Peeves fics (The Tale of Waldorf Peeves by ToujoursPadfoot is hilarious) and Pottermore mentioned something about some previous caretaker trying to capture Peeves and failing, so the idea manifested itself into Filch's Pet Peeve. ;)

3. You write really excellent angsty/sad characters. How do you do it?

I do? :blink: Thank you! All I do is try my best to get into their heads really. I've felt like I was trapped, so I tapped into that, multiplied the feelings and wrote angsty/bitter Lily, and for the Muggle woman I just remembered sadness and let her feel it. I'll give you a hint, if you start getting depressed then you're doing it right. :laugh:

4. Some of your stories feature OCs and some focus on canon characters - which do you prefer to write?

I think I prefer to write minor canon characters, because I already have an idea of what they're like, but I still have room to develop them the way I want to. With main canon characters, I'm too scared to try and write them because JK has already done such a wonderful job, and with OCs I need to make them up from scratch. So yeah, I'd say minor canon characters. ;)

5. What is your favourite spell in the HP books?

Either Wingardium Leviosa or Accio. Goodness knows I need them in my life. :laugh:

6. if you could be any tree, what would you be and why?

The manchineel for sure. I mean that's a deadly poisonous plant everywhere - wood, sap, leaf and fruit. Wow that sounded sadistic.

Thanks so much for the lovely questions Kristin, I had fun answering them, especially the tree one. :D

y'all can call me emily 

#12 patronus_charm

patronus_charm

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 679 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

HAI THERE EMILY. 

1. Other than green tea, do you like any other herbal teas?

2. Given that you've lived in quite a few countries, would you ever incorporate them into a story?

3. Relating to the previous question, have the many cultural influences influenced your work?

4. You've written quite obscure characters such as Filch and Dean is there any reason for this?

5. Which is your favourite book by Philippa Gregory?

6. Is there actual Japanese in your NaNo novel and does Japan make a cameo appearance?

Ok, that's all for now! Sorry for the sort of randomness of the questions :p

oHj3rse.gif
author page [12+]| mta [12+] | gallery [15+]

NaNo Mummy to Chivalrous, Georgia, Sarah, Sian, Sophie and teh <3

#13 -BookDinosaur-

-BookDinosaur-

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

HAI THERE KIANA. :D

1. Other than green tea, do you like any other herbal teas?

I really like jasmine tea and chamomile (although I don't drink chamomile that often) and sencha and genmaicha are also favourites. :)

2. Given that you've lived in quite a few countries, would you ever incorporate them into a story?

Yes I would. In my NaNo novel my OC lived in Japan before going to England for her mother's job, and I think that stuff happening in different countries is really interesting - look at Acanthus!

3. Relating to the previous question, have the many cultural influences influenced your work?

I think they have

4. You've written quite obscure characters such as Filch and Dean is there any reason for this?

Writing about minor canon characters is something I really enjoy, because the groundwork is already there for us, but there's still enough space in there that you can develop the characters more. Also, you can write more things with minor characters, for example Filch trying to get rid of Peeves. You couldn't write that with, say, Fred and George because we already know it didn't happen and I'm not really that much of a fan of AU. ;)

5. Which is your favourite book by Philippa Gregory?

Ah how can I pick?! Well, I think I can narrow it down to the Cousin;s War series? But The Other Boleyn Girl was so amazing as well. Kiana, I can't choose! Okay, I'll go with The White Queen because it was the first book I'd read of hers and all the politics and witchery is so intense and intricate and fascinating. Plus, the War of the Roses is a really interesting historical time.

6. Is there actual Japanese in your NaNo novel and does Japan make a cameo appearance?

Yes there is! My MFC is a Japanese girl (Kaori) who becomes friends with Freddie II and the novel basically revolves around their friedship. Japanese does make an appearance, particularly when Kaori is with her mother and family. :) I'm not sure about them actually going to Japan yet though, we'll have to wait and see for that one.

Thank you for all the lovely questions Kiana! Answering them was so much fun. :D

y'all can call me emily 

#14 maraudertimes

maraudertimes

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Hello Emily!

I have a few questions for you to answer! :D

1. Why did you decide to join the HPFF and HPFF forums community?
2. You write mainly one-shots and smaller stories. Was it a challenge writing your NaNo novel?
3. Where do you draw inspiration from?
4. What would you patronus be and why?
5. What would you think of when conjuring a patronus?
6. Out of all your MCs, which is your favourite and why?
7. If you could ask J.K. Rowling one thing about the HP verse, what would it be?
8. Which one of your stories are you absolutely, completely in love with and why?
9. Top 5 favourite fics on the archives and why?
10. Top 5 favourite spells and why?

11. Am I allowed to ask about when we get to read your NaNo novel, or is that still top secret? :p

Thank you so much!

Lo:)

IMG_3875_zps1c1b3ab3.jpg

Signature by savyinwonderland@TDA || Avatar by 800 words of heaven @ HPFF || My Stories (12+)|| My MTA (12+)
Storm (M) by BookDinosaur || I Am Reality (M) by newgenerationlover || Hurricane Luna (15+) by Veritaserum27

#15 -BookDinosaur-

-BookDinosaur-

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

Hey there Lo! Thank you for stopping by! :D

1. Why did you decide to join the HPFF and HPFF forums community?

I'd found HPFF the boring way (googling Harry Potter fanfiction and clicking on whatever came up) and had been reading stuff here for quite a while. I stumbled on the forums and I found that there was such a lovely community spirit here, with everybody being really lovely and friendly to everyone else, and I wanted in. So I joined, and a bit later I published my first story, and it's safe to say I don't regret a moment of it. :D

2. You write mainly one-shots and smaller stories. Was it a challenge writing your NaNo novel?

Not really, actually - I don't think it's the writing that bothers me too much, especially because I didn't have to edit along the way. The thing that bothered me most was the editing that came later. I think it really helped that this story was  a short story collection more than anything else, really. It revolves around a friendship so I didn't need to do a lot of continuous writing, which definitely helped me.

3. Where do you draw inspiration from?

Everything! A snippet of conversation with my friends, some of the lovely graphics on TDA, the Challenge section of the forums, other books. I think writing has become a real outlet for me and my writing often reflects my mood at the time.

4. What would you patronus be and why?

Hehe, I took this quiz once and it told me that I was a penguin. It was surprisingly accurate, quite scary actually, and the description was very right. So yep, I'd be a penguin. :p

5. What would you think of when conjuring a patronus?

Probably just me and my friends hanging out and cracking awful jokes and laughing until out sides hurt. For me, it's really the small things that make me happiest. Maybe just being with my family.

6. Out of all your MCs, which is your favourite and why?

Such hard questions! Uh, I think I can relate to Lily from Trapped most, actually. There was a stage in my life where I went through quite a tough period, and it was a very bitter, pent-up time for me, and Lily can share that sentiment. I like Freddie as well though, he's a fun person to write about.  Jaz is just crazy, she's a blast to write as well. Oh dear, those are about three people. Is that cheating? :p

7. If you could ask J.K. Rowling one thing about the HP verse, what would it be?

Ohhh no, only one question? Darn it! Um, I'd probably ask something about Lily and James. Because they're my OTP, and I would love to know what the short-term, long-term and trigger reasons of what caused Lily to change her mind about James.

8. Which one of your stories are you absolutely, completely in love with and why?

I don't know! I love them all. Maybe my NaNo novel though, it's the first longer piece I wrote and because it was my first NaNo win, it will always have a special place in my heart. Also, friendship is something I absolutely treasure, and my NaNo novel is based around that. :wub:

9. Top 5 favourite fics on the archives and why?

Oh wow, this is hard! Right - in no particular order:

The Girl From Slytherin and Play The Devil by Jenna/Lululuna. The Girl From Slytherin because it's written in a beautiful style that sounds like prose, it's written from Astoria Greengrass' POV dutring the Second Wirarding War and because the layers and layers of detail in the story is stunning. Play The Devil because it deas with next-gen so realistically, because the War of the Roses is one of my favourite periods in history and because the premise of time-travel to the War of the Roses era is fascinating.

Acanthus by Kiana/patronus_charm. Acanthus because it's a wonderfully written suspense/mystery sort of story and it's what kind of got me to ship ScoRose.

Off The Rails by water_lily43175. Off The Rails because it deals with the world of Quidditch and the details here are absolutely fantastic. It deals very realistically with the pressures of being a sportsperson and the characterisation of James as he spirals down and then climbs up is fantastic.

Shut Up And Kiss me by Jack/soapman333. SUAKM because it was the first novel(la) I came upon when I discovered HPFF. It's a fluffy story and I adore reading fluffy puffy fluff, which is what this story is made of. :D

Wow, I hope that wasn't too long of an answer, haha!

10. Top 5 favourite spells and why?

Oh geez. Uh - Accio because it's super useful, I'd never lose anything again and I wouldn't have to get up to fetch anything. Silencio because I could get my friends to shut up whenever I wanted. Geminio so that I could duplicate money and go buy all the books I want. The Lumos charm so that I wouldn't need to switch on lights and I could have light anytime I need, and the Patronus Charm because I want to know what my patronus would actually be. ;)

11. Am I allowed to ask about when we get to read your NaNo novel, or is that still top secret? :p

Haha no, you're allowed to ask! I just might not tell you. Nah, I am trying to edit it! But it's awful, all the mistakes and just awful awkward things I somehow managed to stick into the silly little thing is making it a nightmare. It will be up soon, hopefully. ;)

Thank you so much for all the lovely questions, Lo! I really enjoyed answering them all. :)

Edited by -BookDinosaur-, 03 February 2014 - 11:29 AM.

y'all can call me emily 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users