12 replies to this topic

#1 shez

shez

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

So....I don't know if anyone will use this. I only have one story up (link in my sig) called Clash. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Gorgeousmegaawesomeness by heartfelt.@TDA

ucv8Sbe_zps6a17e4a4.png

It's not about saving the world. First you have to survive it.

Clash (M)

#2 MissesWeasley123

MissesWeasley123

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

Hiya!

1. How did you begin writing fanfiction?

2. What era do you like best?

3. What gave you the idea for Clash?

4. What genre do you like reading most?

Have fun answering! :D

#3 Mahalia

Mahalia

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:51 AM

Hey! So, I love Clash and though I haven't finished reading it yet (I'm still only at the 4th chapter, but I'm looking forward to when I have time to read more), your characters have really stood out in my memory. They are so haunting and unique. How do you get them to be this way? Especially Albus - most of the time you will see stock, already established 'evil' characters, like Bellatrix and sometimes Lucius with Albus's psychopathic tendencies, so it is different to see the son of Harry this way. What inspired you to write him like this? 

i know there aren't a lot of questions, but I love writing different stories and characters myself, and they never seen to be done without thought, so I'm very curious about your characters  :happy:

'I will not live with a wolf at my back.' - Fenris || set by somuch @tda.

s5e0yd.jpg

rozen_maiden @ HPFF || MTA || Blog (all links 12+)

#4 shez

shez

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Wow, thanks for the questions guys!

Hiya!

1. How did you begin writing fanfiction?

2. What era do you like best?

3. What gave you the idea for Clash?

4. What genre do you like reading most?

Have fun answering! :D

1. I'm not sure, really. I've liked Harry Potter FOREVER and wasn't ready to leave the world when the books ended . I got into reading fanfiction when I was 13 or 14 and was always looking for fics that captured my imagination like Rowling. I've come a long way since then though, but there was just an idea in my head from the books that I wanted to flesh out--I searched a lot of fanfiction and there wasn't really anything out there like it. So I decided to write it, if anything to satisfy my own need for story. 

2. For reading, I like them all :). Really depends on the story. 

For writing, I try to stay away from Hogwarts or the eras Rowling's already fleshed out, because I don't think I could do them justice. Even the marauders make me nervous because people have already established personalities for them. So for writing I prefer eras where I have more freedom with the stories and characters (usually next-gen). 

3.  I've had the basic idea for Clash since I was in middle school --- I wanted to write something that explored Rowling's interpretation of magic. Too many things went into its concoction (various anime and video games and literature and history and probably physics class <--don't ask haha) but the most prominent is probably Star Wars.  I drew parallels between science,  force, and magic.

I really like how Rowling had Dumbledore define its limits (i.e can't bring back dead, can't create true love, etc) to show that wizards aren't invincible or infallible. So I've had the theme for a while now, it was a matter of filling in arbitrary holes like characters and plot to make it interesting to read. I chose next-gen and Rose and Albus because --to be quite honest --who else would you expect to make an impact on the Wizarding world if not the Golden Trio's kids? And, as long as I adhered to the epilogue, I could do whatever I wanted with them haha. Poof. Clash was born.

4. I like all genres as long as the story's well fleshed out :)  

However I do have a special inclination for the dark, mysterious stuff. Love it when writers squeeze in social commentary without preaching. Don't really like comedy (unless its super well written, the-comical-misadventures-of-Fred-and-George, or some ridiculous parody like Dramione where I know the writer's messing with me)  I DIDN'T SAY THAT. I have nothing against Dramione, I swear :)

I ramble so much haha. Thanks for asking, Mrs. Weasely123!

Hey! So, I love Clash and though I haven't finished reading it yet (I'm still only at the 4th chapter, but I'm looking forward to when I have time to read more), your characters have really stood out in my memory. They are so haunting and unique. How do you get them to be this way? Especially Albus - most of the time you will see stock, already established 'evil' characters, like Bellatrix and sometimes Lucius with Albus's psychopathic tendencies, so it is different to see the son of Harry this way. What inspired you to write him like this? 

i know there aren't a lot of questions, but I love writing different stories and characters myself, and they never seen to be done without thought, so I'm very curious about your characters  :happy:

Ooooh lovely question Mahalia and so glad you're enjoying the story :) *rolls up sleeves*

Rose and Albus started out really boring and one-dimensional in my head. Rose was going to be Hermione 2.0 and Albus was going to be a rebellious Slytherin (Slytherin b/c of Harry's comment in the epilogue). They started out in two different stories. Then as I developed their individual plots I found them lacking something very important--foils, balance, etc. So I combined their worlds and they've come a long way since then. Mostly, they've developed in causation to each other and other horrible things I put them through haha. I put them through an event and ask myself, ok, how is this going to impact him/her? How's it going to change his views?

I'm not really sure where Albus developed his psychopathic tendencies -- I've always loved characters that explore the grey realms of morality --but initially he was just supposed to be highly-precocious boy, fed up with being in his father's shadow.  Little by little I've added nuances, some formulaic and other entirely spontaneous, and I think Rose and Albus have become more than just archetypes of their parents. And they're always developing, even now. I don't like to analyze my own characters because I want to leave that up to the lovely readers, even though I have my own interpretation of who I consider them to be :) 

I think the trick to writing Albus is never letting readers know where his head is at. Of course there's an explanation for his actions but its more fun to guess and assume and slowly watch it unravel than be told what it is. So, to answer your question, yes, I have put A LOT of thought into my characters --especially Albus --but I try to leave all that work in the background. Readers only see the finished product :)

Lovely questions! You people are amazing!  

ucv8Sbe_zps6a17e4a4.png

Clash (M)

#5 spreaddapoo93

spreaddapoo93

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hello! I just started reading your phenomenal fic, Clash, and would mostly just like to give you five thumbs up! It truly is a remarkable read, highly unique in all aspects, from story to character to writing style, which is rare to find in this day and age (with fan fiction or novel writing in general).

I guess most of the interesting questions have been nabbed by MissesWeasley and Mahalia (really great questions, and wonderful answers that you've given)... I'm thinking of some questions now... Hmm...

1) Your writing is (as I've said before over and over) amazing/unique/crazyawesome. Do you plan on becoming a novelist, or...? What exactly do you think of when thinking of your future?

2) Is there a particular way to conceptualise your chapters/storyline? What's your writing process? Like, do you pan it out all the way through before writing, or do you take it as it comes? (Clash looks so effortlessly strung up, and is so wonderfully detailed that one can't help but feel you've pretty much perfected every aspect of the story before updating each chapter...)

3) What are your 5-10 favourite books, or books that you feel have impacted you as a writer?

I'll probably keep pestering you for a while. All the best!

Birthday Tradition, Every Rockin' Year: "Girls' night out, you say? How about eleven hours of Lord of the Freakin' Rings, Extended Edition, in full costume? And... Lembas bread straight out of the oven, anyone?"

#6 shez

shez

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

Hello! I just started reading your phenomenal fic, Clash, and would mostly just like to give you five thumbs up! It truly is a remarkable read, highly unique in all aspects, from story to character to writing style, which is rare to find in this day and age (with fan fiction or novel writing in general).

I guess most of the interesting questions have been nabbed by MissesWeasley and Mahalia (really great questions, and wonderful answers that you've given)... I'm thinking of some questions now... Hmm...

1) Your writing is (as I've said before over and over) amazing/unique/crazyawesome. Do you plan on becoming a novelist, or...? What exactly do you think of when thinking of your future?

2) Is there a particular way to conceptualise your chapters/storyline? What's your writing process? Like, do you pan it out all the way through before writing, or do you take it as it comes? (Clash looks so effortlessly strung up, and is so wonderfully detailed that one can't help but feel you've pretty much perfected every aspect of the story before updating each chapter...)

3) What are your 5-10 favourite books, or books that you feel have impacted you as a writer?

I'll probably keep pestering you for a while. All the best!

Aww you're too kind and lovely questions! I'm always excited when I get a new reader :)

1. My future O_O....UMM I'd just like to get through high school right now. I plan to major in biology but that might change. 

I've can't really see myself as a full-time writer. It's always been more a hobby for me than a career pathway, something I do while procrastinating on what I should be doing, and I think if it became what I should be doing then I would stop doing it. Yes, it's very psychological. But honestly, I don't think I could sustain a continuous writing streak...which is why Clash only has 7 chapters right now. I've written maybe a handful of unfinished original works but that's about it. I write when the mood strikes me or when I'm creatively bored/inspired.

I'd like to do something with science in my future, unless someone decides to pay me for procrastinating. If I write  FINISH a novel and get it published, it will probably be in my spare time.

2. Whoah I'm glad Clash looks effortlessly strung-up (trust me, it's not haha). Umm...it's a mix of both, really. A lot of careful planning goes into every chapter but I often end up changing things on the fly. I have the major events and developments panned out in my head, but I don't know how its going to transfer on paper. The only thing set in stone is the ending which I've had before I even started writing.

The first two chapters were written together but everything else is as it goes. I'm not big on making outlines. I have a design for every chapter though.

I don't like meandering narrative so I give each chapter an initial purpose--exactly where I want it to take the story, either by development of plot, character, exposition or some mix. Then I fill in blanks. I never know exactly what's going to happen to Rose or what Albus is going to do until I start writing, which keeps me on my toes as much as the readers. For instance, the Rose/ Scorpius pairing in the second chapter was intentionally treated as a joke (Albus pokes fun at it) and meant to end just there but then later I decided to  take it in a different direction, and it's kind of been building alongside the story.  

Sometimes I write chapters, hate them, and open up a new word document.  Sometimes, I rewrite old scenes. Sometimes, I create entirely new ones. It depends on my mood, really. Clash is read in fragments because I write it in fragments. Each chapter is written over a period of days, and then edited like 3 times.

I'm kind of selfish, so I tend to not write things I don't want to read myself (which is why the exposition in the story is very focused and to-the-point.) If I think something's redundant, I'll take it out completely. I assume that readers are able to connect the dots between scenes, which gives me freedom to pursue more and more than rehashing the same-old information. 

This is probably more information than you cared to know but yeah, in summary, I don't really have a definite process.   

3. I think that just about every book I've read (and liked) has had some sort of impact on my writing. Everyone talks about classics so I'll just mention a couple of them: Hounds of the Baskerville, Dorian Gray, Lord of the Flies, Lolita , The Kite Runner, War and Peace, Lord of the Rings+Hobbit, The Call of the Wild, Dracula, 1984, anything by Dickens, anything by Twain, anything  by Poe.

Here's my list of Miscellaneous-Random-Books-I-Liked-That-Come-To-My-Head--At-This-Particular-Moment: Misery by Stephen King, And then there were none by Agatha Christie, The Bartimeaus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, Rotters by Daniel Kraus (SCARY BOOK), Atonement by Ian McEwan ...Harry Potter? Yes, I will tack that on here now.

My biggest influence is probably Stephen King though. The way he delves into his characters' psychological complexities, humanizes villains, pulls horror from of the mundane gahhh.

Ok, I'm done rambling. And feel free to keep 'pestering' me haha :)

--Shez

ucv8Sbe_zps6a17e4a4.png

Clash (M)

#7 spreaddapoo93

spreaddapoo93

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hello again~

Thanks for taking the time to reply! It's much appreciated!

I know what you mean about the future. My sister and I joke about the paths we had chosen, because we always had a tonne of hobbies to start with, from writing to art to films etc. that it was difficult to discern what to make our future job and what to keep for spare time. I do regret not studying more scientific stuff though. I did well in biology, physics and math, and I ended up in art school !! :p I can feel that part of my brain rotting away. But I always figure I could study more later on. Get ten different degrees and majors :)

Thanks for your detailed axcount of your (non)process. It's interesting to see what goes on behind the page. It's remarkable, because it's so unfathomable on the readers' part, seeing the final product, like a magic show with no idea of the inner workings.

I will definitely check out the books you mentioned. I know and have read a number of them, but there are others I have neglected. Can you believe I've never read Stephen King? Just never had any reason to, but now I do! Especially after that film Writers/Stuck in Love--some high appraisal for It that made me itch to read it.

I have a few more questions:

1. The notion of experiences vs sheer imagination in a writer. What standpoint do you think your writing / storytelling takes?
2. What do you most envy in a character (maybe in yours), and what do you hate most?
3. I've always been in love with despicable characters. You have quite a number of despicable characters, albeit with human qualities, in your story. Was that how you had always intended to write them? What are your thoughts on despicability?
4. Do you listen to specific music, look at some kinds of art or watch specific movies specifically for your writing? To inspire you / get you in the mood?

I know you know this by now, but I absolutely adore your work. You have such mastery over the style of fragmentation, multiple actions, characters, time periods, etc. It's terrifyingly great. For all the despicability of the characters, seeming dreary hopelessness, cutthroat dog eat dog world in which they are thrown into... I love the daring with which you take on the story! Bravo!

Much love ;)
~spreaddapoo
Birthday Tradition, Every Rockin' Year: "Girls' night out, you say? How about eleven hours of Lord of the Freakin' Rings, Extended Edition, in full costume? And... Lembas bread straight out of the oven, anyone?"

#8 shez

shez

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

Hey there! You're back again (sorry it took me so long to reply to this. I'd forgotten all about having a MTA page).

1. The notion of experiences vs sheer imagination in a writer. What standpoint do you think your writing / storytelling takes?

I’m a firm believer that experiences and imagination go hand-in-hand when it comes to writing. Though for (this) fan fiction—and because I haven’t got the sort of experiences that would allow me to draw from experience-- I’m definitely drawing more from imagination than anything else. Plots and characters---I’ve drawn from media around me, morphing and meshing it into what I want. Emotions are more difficult to capture, and I think they need to come from a personal source. Anger, betrayal, embarrassment, hatred, all the varying degrees of sadness—I think everyone’s had them and I’ve probably drawn from my experiences. It’s not deliberate though, nor is it conscious. LOL I don’t go into some depression-box to write Clash.  

I’m not as old as the more experienced writers out there, so I do tend to rely more on whimsical fancy/ sheer imagination/ the-principle-of-making-stuff-up-as-I-go. So yeah.

Experiences=10%

Imagination=90%

2. What do you most envy in a character (maybe in yours), and what do you hate most?

Tough question! I definitely envy Rose’s courage/sheer determination, Albus’ intellect, and Scorpius’ good nature/ loyalty.

Hate: All forms of cruelty, arrogance, selfishness---Well, I wouldn’t say I hate these qualities, because they’re necessary for a successful character. I’d hate them in RL people. I guess what I hate the most about characters is when their actions contradict their nature, or they’re bland/shallow/one-dimensional. But these are more Author flaws than character flaws.

3. I've always been in love with despicable characters. You have quite a number of despicable characters, albeit with human qualities, in your story. Was that how you had always intended to write them? What are your thoughts on despicability?

I never set out to create a cast of despicable characters haha. Characters weren’t even in my head when I started planning this fic---it was always about plot. And since the plot was so dark, I ended up, unintentionally, creating not-so-morally-righteous characters to fill the holes. It was never about good vs. evil, or being heroes and saving the world. That’s been done a thousand different ways. Clash is a slow spiraling descent into hell-on-earth, a chain of dominos in which one horrifying event triggers a grander cascade, mistakes haunt forever, and no one gets off easy. The characters are evil-via-circumstance and their fates are inevitable---the question is how they get to the end. For me, personally, it’s always been about the plot, because I’ve had it charted for so long. Characters were devised to move it forward.

I’ve always seen Rose as a sort of controlled chaos, someone who commits horrendous acts for albeit noble reasons (i.e. her brother). She has her fair share of mental/physical/psychological obstacles, so it’s not like she gets off easy.  (I’d never do that mwahahah!)   

Albus is more chaotic chaos, often doesn’t caring who he hurts in the midst of his schemes. He is more amoral than immoral, often unable to comprehend the magnitude of his crimes until after. He’s got a chip on his shoulder as well, and a decent amount of psychological trauma, and slips up more times than he’ll admit.  

I could launch into a whole nature vs. nurture debate but I won’t haha. Ultimately, I enjoy writing ‘despicable’ characters because they’re a nice break from your typical protagonist. They have more unconventional growth arcs and make for a more fascinating character study. And as a writer, they give me a broader/more interesting range of things to write about. As a reader, I’m drawn to those I mayb not necessarily think like. For instance, villainous characters are fascinating because that they possess admirable qualities, like strength, but also something dangerous ones, like disillusion and a twisted logic that only makes sense in the mental bubble they create for themselves. We are expected to marvel at their dark skills and feel torn by our attraction to something that can never return the favor (albusalbusalbusalbus).

4. Do you listen to specific music, look at some kinds of art or watch specific movies specifically for your writing? To inspire you / get you in the mood?

I-am-one-of-those-weird-obsessive-people-with-playlists-for-every-character haha. It depends on the sort of scene I'm writing, really. For Rose, I listen to a lot of Florence and the Machine type of things. Mostly classical music (Danse Macabre is one of my absolute favorites) for Albus, because he has the sort of formality that can't be captured in modern-day pop... well occasionally a little Eminem. When I want to pump out a horror-driven scene, Eminem and/or dubstep is gold.

I'm really not sure. A lot of cynical music from varying genres. I have playlists, but it would be silly to type them all up here.

Sometimes I go on DeviantArt and browse through the digital section to get me in writing muse (the people on there are REALLY talented).

I have certain books I reread, does that count?

To get into writing mood, I sometimes watch movies/shows involving serial killers/detectives/awesome villians carefully/ constructed heists. I’ve liked Sherlock, House of Cards, Hannibal (movies, show was too gruesome for me), Nolan’s Batman series. My current obsession is Prison Break.  Netflix FTW!

Thanks for the awesome questions!

Edited by shez, 27 February 2014 - 05:56 PM.

ucv8Sbe_zps6a17e4a4.png

Clash (M)

#9 AlPotterFan

AlPotterFan

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

Hello there! I've stopped by with some questions for you!

1. Have you planned Clash from beginning to end or have you only planned some parts of it out?

2. Do you have an idea of how many chapters the story is going to be?

3. Once you've finished writing Clash (which I know won't be for quite a while), do you have any other story that you've already planned out or are thinking of writing?

4. Do you find the idea of writing fanfiction about the other limits of magic (like creating true love) appealing and why or why not?

5. What's your favourite part about writing Clash?

6. How did you come across HPFF?

aminorsetback_zps26133880.png

Author Page/Signature Link (12+ to M)| YOU CAN CALL ME GRACE | set by moonlace @ tda

#10 shez

shez

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:01 AM

Hello there! I've stopped by with some questions for you!

1. Have you planned Clash from beginning to end or have you only planned some parts of it out?

2. Do you have an idea of how many chapters the story is going to be?

3. Once you've finished writing Clash (which I know won't be for quite a while), do you have any other story that you've already planned out or are thinking of writing?

4. Do you find the idea of writing fanfiction about the other limits of magic (like creating true love) appealing and why or why not?

5. What's your favourite part about writing Clash?

6. How did you come across HPFF?

Hey there! Nice to see you!

1. Clash is meticulously planned and has been for a while - though I'm always changing things on the fly. The main events intended to happen are planned chapter by chapter all the way to the end, and I've had the end planned for a very long time. It is 75% planned - I leave some parts spontaneous for when I'm writing them. 

2. Right now I have about 30-35 planned total and we're on -what- chapter 13? But it could definitely go over depending on if certain events decide to span multiple chapters or I add another arc in somewhere. However, I intend to a lot of progress on the story this summer because things will get hectic for me when college starts. 

Yeah, Clash is going to be a while haha......but that doesn't mean I can't write something else alongside it! I've thought about writing a  (less ambitious) kind- of - prequel to Clash [ Rose, Al Scorp's Fourth Year] mainly to give background on the characters and character relationships RIGHT BEFORE the parents disappear and Rose resurrects Hugo and things go haywire like in Clash, and told from a moderately- humorous Scorp POV. It would have a mini whodunnit plot as well and a generous amount of Scor/Rose. It would be 10 chapters (30k probs) that I DO have planned, if I ever get to writing it [and if it's something readers are interested in haha].

The other story I've had in my head for a while spans Tom Riddle while he attends Hogwarts, because I've been getting into young/handsome!Riddle/OC fics for a while [teehee]. I plan to follow Rowling's timeline of events but also take my own liberties with our favorite evil villain before he becomes evilEVIL. ...I have some very unique ideas for this one. 

Do let me know either of these ideas would be something you're interested in reading :)

4. Yeah, definitely! I went with the conquering-death because it's just something I found very appealing from the books [and how many steps Voldemort takes to try to become immortal]. Creating true love sounds very cool - though I can't think of where I'd go with that right now. Write a very complicated romance? Haha maybe....

5. Definitely the characters. Despite my meticulous planning, the characters have a way of surprising me when I get around to writing them. For instance, the Scorp/Rose pairing never ACTUALLY happened in my planning - it was just meant to be a joke. Now I'm rolling with it and have completely re-invented their arc. Lots of things Albus gets up to go very different from the drafts. Even though I'm the writer, I'm basically the unraveling the story alongside the readers, because I'm never sure exactly things are going to go until I start writing.

6. Random browsing, I think. I probably googled 'harry potter' and stumbled across this thing called fanfiction haha.

Edited by shez, 19 June 2014 - 02:04 AM.

ucv8Sbe_zps6a17e4a4.png

Clash (M)

#11 Midnight spark

Midnight spark

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

Hey! I wanted to tell you that i absolutely LOVE Clash! I don't have any questions, or anything like that, but thought you should know. Just one doubt: Can we see the old-aged Rose anytime soon?

PS: Your signature says 'you and me', and that's a dialog Albus said to Rose in CH 17, right? When he shows her those memories and she stops him from going? And after that she says 'I love you' to him! That part made me smile sadly because Al really should admit that he loves Rose too. :)

e1hKy7u.png

Poison Ivy | word count: 0                    

#12 shez

shez

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

Hey here! Thanks for stopping by and yes, we'll be seeing old-aged Rose and Mr. Walker in the next chapter!

Haha I was wondering if anyone would make the connection between my sig and the chapter -- I've had that scene planned out for a very long time since, say, the beginning. Glad you' enjoyed the chapter and you'll have to keep reading to find out if Albus ever returns the notion! :)

ucv8Sbe_zps6a17e4a4.png

Clash (M)

#13 stillroisin

stillroisin

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:35 AM

Hello! So I don't think these questions are precise repeats, let's see!

1. Did any other media inspire Clash (specific films, television, music)? And in what way?

2. What did you think of the HP films?

3. Follow up: who did you think were the best and worst casting decisions?

4. Top five, desert island, favorite stories/authors in the archives?

5. Top five, desert island, favorite albums/books/movies?

6. If you could say anything to Albus, what would it be?

7. If Clash were to be turned into a film, who would you cast as Rose, Albus, Scorpius, and the Head?

OK, back to twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the next chapter! Hope college is going well! You should totally sign up for a creative writing class at some point--I'm certain it would be an easy A for you ;)

My Author's Page (15+)

28bqps3.png

bloom. (M) by milominderbinder :: I Am Thomas Riddle (15+) by luvinpadfoot :: Out of Order (M) by crestwood :: The Protector (15+) by hangingwallflower

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shez, MTA, author, story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users