22 replies to this topic

#1 teh tarik

teh tarik

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Hello, I'm teh. :happy:

I joined HPFF in October 2012, and I think it's time to start one of these MTAs.

My stories can be found here (M).

Any questions?  :happy:

new Remus/Sirius oneshot is now up!
28jxqwg.jpg  212d9xv.jpg  2ntuva.jpg
all icons by etherealnetwork@lj

I'm most likely fictional & making myself up as I go (M)

#2 nott theodore

nott theodore

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hi teh! I'm so excited you got one of these and that I get to christen it (unless someone posts here first :p)

So, questions:
1. How long does it take you to write a chapter or one-shot?
2. How do you come up with such beautiful descriptions?
3. Which of your stories are you proudest of?
4. Which was the easiest to write? Which was the hardest?
5. How did it feel to win a Dobby? :D
6. Is there a character you'd like to write about but haven't yet?
7. Who are your favourite authors in fanfiction and in original fiction?
8. And finally, if you could spend a day in the magical world, what would you do?

That's all for now (I should probably stop before I take all the questions :p). I look forward to your answers!

11t360m.png

Set by anyroad @ TDA

my stories [12+] my mta [12+]

#3 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

teh! You're one of my favorite people to admire from afar (generally because my up-close admiration gets a bit creepy).

1. When and why did you start writing?
  2. What's your process like?
  3. What are your fic guilty pleasures and pet peeves?
  4. Do you have any original fiction you're writing or want to write?
  5. Other favorite fandoms outside of Harry Potter?

I was also going to ask you about your penname, because I always saw it as an intentional misspelling of 'the', plus something else, and then I decided to google it first before embarrassing myself, and I realized you were milk tea :p

s61ytfo.png 2TgY3WG.png nzvqOQV.png

author's page | art/tumblr | all links [M]

#4 MissesWeasley123

MissesWeasley123

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

teh! I wanted to join in on the fun :D

1. What's your favourite paring - canon and non canon?

2. Do you have an era you enjoy reading?

3. How do you find time to write?

4. Why did you decide to begin writing HPFF?

5. And finally, if you could meet one person from the cast and one character, who would it be?

Have fun answering :)

#5 teh tarik

teh tarik

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Yay, so many questions already! :hug:

Hi teh! I'm so excited you got one of these and that I get to christen it (unless someone posts here first :p)

So, questions:
1. How long does it take you to write a chapter or one-shot?
2. How do you come up with such beautiful descriptions?
3. Which of your stories are you proudest of?
4. Which was the easiest to write? Which was the hardest?
5. How did it feel to win a Dobby?
6. Is there a character you'd like to write about but haven't yet?
7. Who are your favourite authors in fanfiction and in original fiction?
8. And finally, if you could spend a day in the magical world, what would you do?

That's all for now (I should probably stop before I take all the questions). I look forward to your answers!

Sian! ♥♥ Thank you muchly for this christening!

1. Depends! Any time from a week to two months. Or more. Eep. I'm not the speediest of writers, and I don't have a lot of free time, and quite a lot of planning goes into my oneshots (waay more planning than individual chapters of a WIP, as I realised...).

2. Aww, I'm glad you like my descriptions!  I enjoy reading fic with a bit of description to them - not too much, though; my favourite kind of descriptive prose is the type which is vivid in terms of imagery, but which also uses simple, everyday words in new, striking ways. That's what I try to do with my descriptive writing: use words that are vivid, avoid too many abstract metaphors and instead focus on the literal, and arrange words in ways they're not often arranged in. Hopefully, I don't sound too pretentious! It's all about rearrangement, sometimes. 

3. I'm not sure! It changes from time to time, and right now I'm quite fond of my House Cup oneshot, All the tombs of Egypt are empty. It's a vastly silly fic, and it's definitely not my best-written piece but I had a lot of fun writing it, and I did finish this in little more than a week, all 5000 words of it.

4. Easiest? you can write the book, I hardly planned that one out; the story just happened - probably one of my favourite things I've written. As for the hardest fic, ugghh, so many of them were quite difficult to write. I had a lot of trouble with Growth, and a fair bit of trouble with The Network, which I haven't posted up yet. And A Lightness was quite tricky as well, because it just wouldn't end. It seems that I generally find writing to be a very difficult thing to do. :p Which it is.

5. ALSKJDJWYWYCBZVLKZZ ← this word, accompanied with plenty of tears, neatly sums up my feelings. I wish I knew how to pronounce it. I'm more than a little overwhelmed. I honestly didn't think I was going to win anything because I only write oneshots, and I dunno, I've always thought that oneshots aren't as memorable as longer stories. GAH, I'm just so grateful and surprised and humbled and I can't thank everyyone enough!

6. Oh, I have a lot of plunnies for characters I wish to write! I can't decide which to write next. Probably Sanguini, the vampire, for a challenge. I've never written vampire stuff before. I also seem to have a Rose/Scorpius oneshot plunny which won't go away. And I have a plunny for Merlin. And I also want to write an AU fic about the Dumbledore family. Too many!

7. I don't actually read a lot. *hides* I'm just so busy! And whatever free time I have, I use it to write. On HPFF, I pretty much love everything written by Toujours Padfoot. Her plots are gripping, her characters are so detailed and her descriptive prose is gorgeous. And her crackfics are choking hazards. And there are so many other HPFF authors whose works I really want to read, but can't seem to find the time. With OF, one of my favourite contemporary authors is Helen Oyeyemi; I love her book White is for Witching. Her writing is amazing. And intimidating. Every time I read something by her I have an existential crisis and I seldom recover.

8. I suppose I'd explore as many places as possible. Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, the Ministry etc. And take photographs of all the weird, magical plants and animals. And borrow someone's wand and see if I can do magic. Possibly purchase as many things as possible as souvenirs. Or something! I'm not sure!

teh! You're one of my favorite people to admire from afar (generally because my up-close admiration gets a bit creepy).

1. When and why did you start writing?
  2. What's your process like?
  3. What are your fic guilty pleasures and pet peeves?
  4. Do you have any original fiction you're writing or want to write?
  5. Other favorite fandoms outside of Harry Potter?

I was also going to ask you about your penname, because I always saw it as an intentional misspelling of 'the', plus something else, and then I decided to google it first before embarrassing myself, and I realized you were milk tea :p

Gina!! ♥♥ I promise you that my teeth do not bite - not really - so please don't keep your distance! And gah, thank yoouuu!! Yes, yes, milk tea; you've found me. :p

1. When I was nine or ten or something, out of the blue I just felt like writing a poem about the sky. Er, so I did! There was no reason at all; I just felt like writing. Anyway, the poem was a bit random and really childish, but I was kinda proud of it and showed my parents and they thought it pretty cute and all. After that, I only wrote sporadically. I started some things but never finished. Wrote a whole lot of rubbish poetry in my teenage years. Wrote fanfic for some anime but lost interest quickly and stayed away from all fandoms for years. Only when I went to university and took a short course in creative writing as part of my English degree, where I was forced to write seriously (in order to pass and graduate :p ) did I start to find writing exciting. And then last year, I discovered HPFF after 10 years of having nothing to do with fanfic or any fandom, and I'm more than a little hooked.

2. Nothing very out of the ordinary, I'm afraid. I get a plunny, and I make notes until I get satisfied or sick of it. And if it doesn't go away, then I start writing. If it's a oneshot, I usually plan the whole thing out first, figure out a style or structure or type of voice, plot the chronology of events, and then I start. Sometimes I write scenes out of order, and at the end I just switch things around, restructure and reorganise information etc. If I'm writing a chapter of a WIP, I just make a few brief notes and start writing; I don't plan as much for chaptered fics. I devote a lot more energy to oneshots (because they're complete things and you only have one shot at them sorry for the bad pun hahaha) than I do to single chapters!

3. Aha. Time travel. I kinda like them...sometimes. I don't care if it's Hermione going back in time to get together with Sirius or to kill Tom Riddle only to end up falling in love with him..etc. Just generally time travel. I'd love to read some time travel crackfic as well. In fact, I'm looking for a fic where the wizarding world is utterly ruined because every household possesses a timeturner and so everyone has been messing around with time and everything has become one giant mindtwist. Another guilty pleasure of mine would be crackship fics. :p

I don't know about pet peeves. I'm quite a tolerant person, actually. That being said, couples who shout in CAPSLOCK ALL THE TIME are rather irritating.

4. Before joining HPFF, I only wrote OF. All short stories, though. All my OF stories are rather unmagical, and are mostly grounded in real life. I haven't had any ideas for a longer multi-chaptered OF, but if I do get one, I'll be sure to try it out!

5. I've read some Sherlock fanfic, and I'm a fan of the show. I also love Merlin, which is quite probably my current favourite series even though it's over. I'm sorely tempted to write Merlin fanfic, or possibly some crossover with HP...gah, I really don't have the time, though! I don't follow any other fandoms.

teh! I wanted to join in on the fun :D

1. What's your favourite paring - canon and non canon?

2. Do you have an era you enjoy reading?

3. How do you find time to write?

4. Why did you decide to begin writing HPFF?

5. And finally, if you could meet one person from the cast and one character, who would it be?

Have fun answering

Hiya, Nadia! ♥♥ Yay, questions!!

1. I have no favourite pairing!! I love a wide range of pairings, including the more obscure ones. I like Harry/Luna, Harry/Hermione, Ron/Hermione, Cho/Harry, George/Angelina, Remus/Tonks, Albus/Gellert, Tom/Minerva, Sirius/Lily, Luna/anybody, er...and so on. I even read a really good Fleur/Tonks story once, and that had me shipping them.

2. Founders, Post-Hogwarts and Hogwarts era fic are some of my favourites. I also quite like Other Era.

3. Ugh, ugh, time! :( Sometimes, I don't find time at all. I set myself really, really tiny goals. As long as I write something every day, even if it's just 200 words, I'm happy. Sometimes when I'm at work and my brain is on the verge of exploding from all the boring stuff, I kind of sneak in a bit of writing there. But in the end, all those bits and pieces of writing will add up to a complete story! It does take time, but I'm usually too busy that I don't have much choice.

4. I actually joined HPFF because I was actively searching for a place to put up my story. And I started writing HP fanfic because I was just browsing about on tumblr and came across some lovely HP fanart (some of them were quite sad, though!), and I felt like writing again. Hmm, I dunno, these writing urges come out of nowhere, I swear.

5. It would be nice to meet Harry. Boring choice, I know. I'm not sure which cast member I'd like to meet; I prefer to admire them from afar!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR LOVELY QUESTIONS! ♥♥♥

#6 gubby

gubby

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

Hiiii teh! I feel vaguely stalker-y because ever since I came across your work I've been meaning to figure out how to express that I would like to stalk your work without, um, actually stalking you. So I'll do my vaguely stalkery activities in the open, because you're a fabulous author and woohoo, this is awkward--

So.

1. I just read Apple Trees, which has been on my fancy Reading List thingy for the last few days, and I'm kind of blown away. How did you come up with that plot?!

2. What authors/books/fics/whatever are your biggest inspirations?

3. Which tropes do you love to see in fic, trope-y/cliche as they may be?

4. I see that your username has to do with tea? So what (other than milk tea) is your favorite kind of tea?

...... gosh I don't even know how to ask stuff anymore! Anyway  :bye:  :give_rose: Keep up the great work! (Because I will be keeping an eager eye out for it when I get the chance. From the stalking of your work.)

my author's page is twelve plus

and my icon is by ravleen at tda

#7 patronus_charm

patronus_charm

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

hey teh! i'm feeling lower-case letters today if that's ok with you! (i'm trying not to cringe at the lower-case i but now i've started lower-casing everything i can't stop!). also let's forget about the fact i've read apple island and haven't yet reviewed it...

1. you have converted me to things all lavender/padma! do you plan on writing more slash or was that your only foray into it?

2. i might be going to malaysia in the coming years so what would you recommend doing there?

3. will you ever write a major character e.g. one of the trio?

4. growth was one of the most mind blowing things i've read! why did you choose to write merope at that time as i've never seen it written by anyone else?

5. you make unlikely characters interact in stories e.g. ginny/irma pince is there any reason for this or were you just thinking yolo?

i hope the lower-casedness of it wasn't too annoying and i hope you have fun answering these!

also (i can't believe i almost forgot!) CONGRATS ON YOUR DOBBIES!!!! (yeah, i let it go there :p)

oHj3rse.gif
author page [12+]| mta [12+] | gallery [15+]

currently writing: essays for school :(

#8 teh tarik

teh tarik

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:27 AM

Aahh, questions from gubby and Kiana!! :wub: I didn't know you guys have read Apple Island! I only have like 20 reads for that story, and I thought they were all mostly from myself, reading that chapter over and over, trying to nitpick and find new places to edit. Thank you for reading!! ♥♥

Hiiii teh! I feel vaguely stalker-y because ever since I came across your work I've been meaning to figure out how to express that I would like to stalk your work without, um, actually stalking you. So I'll do my vaguely stalkery activities in the open, because you're a fabulous author and woohoo, this is awkward--

So.

1. I just read Apple Trees, which has been on my fancy Reading List thingy for the last few days, and I'm kind of blown away. How did you come up with that plot?!

2. What authors/books/fics/whatever are your biggest inspirations?

3. Which tropes do you love to see in fic, trope-y/cliche as they may be?

4. I see that your username has to do with tea? So what (other than milk tea) is your favorite kind of tea?

...... gosh I don't even know how to ask stuff anymore! Anyway  :bye:  :give_rose: Keep up the great work! (Because I will be keeping an eager eye out for it when I get the chance. From the stalking of your work.)

waahaskjd gubby, this is so lovely! Thank you so, so much!! ♥ You have my blessing to stalk. Go forth and Stalk!

1. I was wondering if you were indeed referring to my new short story! Because "plot" is a very vague thing in that fic. It goes backward, and the events of the story are only loosely connected to each other.  Anyway, I decided to join a recent challenge on the forums (the First Chapter Challenge where you write a nice, interesting first chapter to a longer story, although as usual, I couldn't make the deadline), and thought I might write a Remus/Tonks fic going backwards into happier days... But I found the idea somewhat dull because I didn't just want to retell the life events of those two, who are already relatively popular characters in fanfic. Anyway, I came across the Wikipedia page for Avalon, which apparently translated to "Isle of Apples" and I thought it was such a pretty name! And such a fascinating legend. So I made note of that. I wanted to have some sort of mystical place in my fic, like a local legend, something fairly mysterious. And that was pretty much that. One thing I can't explain is how Andromeda came into the picture. I simply can't remember when I decided to switch from Remus/Tonks to Andromeda, but I suppose it must be because I've always preferred to write lesser-known characters.

Aah, I'm so flattered you're reading this fic! Now I actually have to go and update it.

2. I wish I had more time to read. ;( I observe people a lot in real life, sometimes, their mannerisms, and the way they react to certain things. And in almost every book/fic I read, I always pay close attention to an author's style, to see how they achieve certain effects in their writing. Alright. I haven't answered your question at all. I like anything by the author Helen Oyeyemi. Lovely, complex writing. I'm also quite fond of Annie John by Jamaica Kincaid.

3. This is a hard one. Sometimes I'm not even aware some things are considered tropes! That being said, I do enjoy dark, brooding heroes and heroines sometimes. Or maybe time travel. Or dead characters coming back to live in AU fics.

4. Yeah, 'teh' means tea, and 'teh tarik' is a kind of milky tea, which I don't actually enjoy too much because it can get very, very sweet. I did like it a lot when I was younger, though! Nowadays I just drink jasmine tea and green tea and earl grey tea, and once, oh my god, I went to a cafe that served chocolate tea. Normal black tea but with the most haunting, enticing aroma of chocolate. Can't explain it properly! But it was so gorgeous!!

Thanks for your questions, gubby! :wub:

hey teh! i'm feeling lower-case letters today if that's ok with you! (i'm trying not to cringe at the lower-case i but now i've started lower-casing everything i can't stop!). also let's forget about the fact i've read apple island and haven't yet reviewed it...

1. you have converted me to things all lavender/padma! do you plan on writing more slash or was that your only foray into it?

2. i might be going to malaysia in the coming years so what would you recommend doing there?

3. will you ever write a major character e.g. one of the trio?

4. growth was one of the most mind blowing things i've read! why did you choose to write merope at that time as i've never seen it written by anyone else?

5. you make unlikely characters interact in stories e.g. ginny/irma pince is there any reason for this or were you just thinking yolo?

i hope the lower-casedness of it wasn't too annoying and i hope you have fun answering these!

also (i can't believe i almost forgot!) CONGRATS ON YOUR DOBBIES!!!! (yeah, i let it go there :p)

Hellooo, Kiana! ♥♥ Thank you so much!! :wub: And I don't mind the lower-case; feel free to keep those capitals away!

1. Gah, what a lovely compliment! I can't believe I've made you like that pairing so much! I'm so glad. That was one of my very brief forays into romance, actually! If I have plunnies for more slash fics (and romance), then I'll definitely write them. I really enjoyed writing Lavender/Padma together.

2. That sounds great! It depends what you like to do, actually. If you like shopping, there are plenty of malls which sell stuff relatively cheaply. There are lovely beaches on the east coast if you like the seaside and snorkelling and swimming. Or if you're more of the hiking type, there are national parks and rainforests. Malaysia is pretty well-known for its food because of its high ethnic diversity and mixing of cultures, so many people often go about on an eating fest. :p Feel free to ask me more closer to your date of travel!

3. Ginny was the closest I've come to writing a major character. And if I have a plunny for Harry or Hermione or Ron, then I'll definitely consider writing them!  It's all about the plunny.

4. Wah, thank you! ♥ I'm actually really surprised at how well this fic seems to be doing. I think there are quite a number of Merope fics on the archive, though! But most of them actually focus on her relationship with Tom Riddle, or her traumatic childhood and family life. I couldn't find one that actually focused on her pregnancy, which was when she was completely alone and abandoned. I honestly don't know how she survived, because pregnancy is far from an easy thing, and Merope in addition had been through a lot of trauma and stress. As for why I wrote her, I was trying to find something to write about for hte horror/dark challenge. My first choice was actually Peter Pettigrew and his silver hand (the one that Voldemort gave him), and how he starts to become really terrified of that hand, but in the end I scrapped that idea and started thinking of all the characters of HP who have led really miserable lives...and settled on Merope.

5. I love doing that! I always love it when two or more unlikely characters come together ; it's always so interesting to see how they react to each other. But in the case of the Ginny and Irma fic, it wasn't actually just yolo. :p I signed up for a challenge (which, again I did not complete in time), and was assigned Irma Pince on April Fools' Day. And when I got Irma, I immediately thought 'library' and 'books', and books in HP made me think of 'The Monster Book of Monsters and Riddle's diary (both of which appeared in the fic), and the diary of course led me to Ginny, and thus, the fic was born!

Yay, thank you, Kiana! :wub:

THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR QUESTIONS!! ♥♥

PS: I can't tell you what an enormous effort it was to hold back on the onslaught of smileys that I wanted to use. The board keeps disallowing me.

#9 Josette_Phoenix

Josette_Phoenix

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:51 AM

Hello there!! Yay, I'm glad you got a MTA!

1. What book(s) besides HP do you go back to read over and over and why?

2. Which HP character do you empathise with the most - as in, if you were in the HP universe, which character would you most likely be? If that makes sense ...

3. Does a particular type of music/band/musician inspire you? Do you listen to any music when you write?

4. What was/is your favourite subject at school?

5. What would you do if you could be a wizard for one day?

Have fun answering!! Cheerio :bye:

Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home  J. K. ROWLING

Author Page (12+) l Blog (12+) l Emily Dickinson Quote Challenge (12+)

#10 teh tarik

teh tarik

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Hello there!! Yay, I'm glad you got a MTA!

1. What book(s) besides HP do you go back to read over and over and why?

2. Which HP character do you empathise with the most - as in, if you were in the HP universe, which character would you most likely be? If that makes sense ...

3. Does a particular type of music/band/musician inspire you? Do you listen to any music when you write?

4. What was/is your favourite subject at school?

5. What would you do if you could be a wizard for one day?

Have fun answering!! Cheerio :bye:

Jo!! :wub: Thanks for dropping by! ♥ Yeah, I know I'm a bit late to the MTA scene!

1. Uh, haven't done a lot of reading lately..*cowers* But at one point of my life I was reading and re-reading The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa. It's an amazing and very thought-provoking and slightly depressing book, but it's an intensely introspective one, thus there is a complete absence of plot. I suppose if I had the book with me now, I'd still probably reread it from time to time; it's just such a profound book and it really makes me think about my own life, and my own thoughts; it's the sort of book that maybe sharpens your own self-awareness. Or something like that.

2.  Yep, course it makes sense! Who would I be...hmmm...it would most probably be someone obscure, not well-known, who doesn't do anything particularly special...uh, maybe Susan Bones, because I don't really know her. :p I'm just simply not like most of the main characters in HP!

3. I don't listen to music when I write. I find it pretty distracting, actually. My music tastes have varied hugely over the years, but right now, I'm not listening to anything at all. My car radio is broken, and I only have the chance to listen to music when I'm driving. And I'm tired of all the songs on my mobile because I've listened to them over and over and they're all at least a couple of years' old. :p When I really need some music, I just sit down at the piano and compose a few tunes, which I never remember, though! 

4. It was English Lit. I think it was because I wasn't too terrible in it?

5. Do all the spells! Try them all out, try to fly on a broom, clean the whole house with a few simple spells, and learn how to brew a love potion (bahaha!).

Thank you so so much for your lovely questions, Jo!! :wub:

#11 harrypotterlover1

harrypotterlover1

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hey, after reading some of your brilliant stories I thought I'd come and ask some questions!

1. I loved 'You can write the book' so how did that happen, did it just 'pop in to your head'?

2. Which character do you hate most in Harry Potter?

3. What does winning a Dobby feel like?

4. Do you think that 'fantastic beasts' will make the fandom grow even bigger?

5. Which one of your stories do you think is the weakest?

6. If you were talking to someone whose never read anything that you've written before, which story would you suggest they read first?

Look forward to reading your answers :)

#12 teh tarik

teh tarik

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 568 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:16 AM

Hey, after reading some of your brilliant stories I thought I'd come and ask some questions!

1. I loved 'You can write the book' so how did that happen, did it just 'pop in to your head'?

2. Which character do you hate most in Harry Potter?

3. What does winning a Dobby feel like?

4. Do you think that 'fantastic beasts' will make the fandom grow even bigger?

5. Which one of your stories do you think is the weakest?

6. If you were talking to someone whose never read anything that you've written before, which story would you suggest they read first?

Look forward to reading your answers :)

Cannons! I saw your questions yesterday :) Apologies for the delay in responding and thank you so much for stopping by!

1. Aww, thank you! you can write the book is probably one of my favourite things I've written, and it's probably strange, since nothing actually happens in the story. As I mentioned in the story disclaimer, I was quite heavily influenced by the OF short story mentioned. I wanted to try out that particular structure and style, and I chose to do so with the Creeveys. It's probably one of the easier stories I've written because I planned very little for it, merely sat down and started writing. In a sense, it did pop into my head. :) Sometimes life and living, in general, just hurts, especially when you've lost someone, and I wanted to convey that sense in this story. And it really means a lot to me to hear you compliment this fic so wonderfully. 

2. Tough question. I'd have to say Peter Pettigrew. Something about him really creeps me out. He's dangerous.

3. I think someone above asked this question and I just smashed my keyboard and said, "THIS'. Well, I don't know; it's such a huge honour and I really, really am so grateful and overwhelmed and awed that people enjoy and support my writing so much. As  writer, there's probably no greater reward than having your work being appreciated to such an extent. It's amazing.

4. I don't know about this one. I think it might entice back those who've already left the fandom; I'm not sure whether it will attract a whole new legion of fans since FAntastic Beasts is not a particularly well-known book compared to the HP novels. I don't think people who were not previously interested in HP will join the fandom with the news of new films, but I do think that it will certainly increase activity among existing and former members of the HP fandom.

5. The Network has its share of flaws. So does Other Side of Glass. Both of these are multi-chapter fics. I think I'm a little better at oneshot writing, to be honest. My new WIP Apple Island is also starting to look pretty tricky.

6. All the Tombs of Egypt are Empty is a pretty silly fic, but I enjoyed writing that. It does have a bit of a plot in it; I think I might recommend that to people :p Just for fun! Despite its length, it's fairly easy to read (I think); my other oneshots are probably a little heavier and might turn some people off.

Thank you for your lovely questions, Cannons!  :wub:

#13 randomhpffwriter

randomhpffwriter

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Teh! I can't believe I have't been here yet.
I have some questions for you :)

1) What inspired you to write Apple Island? It's such an unique concept, and I think you know how much I love it!

2) How long do you think Apple Island will be?

3) I see that you tend to write more stories centered around minor characters. What is it about minor characters that you like so much?

4) Do you plan your stories? If so, how?

5) I love your writing style. I love how you make the chracters thoughts and emotions seem so raw, and I absolutely adore your vivid descriptions? Who or what is the inspiration behind your writing?

6) I know that I'm quite late, but how does it feel to have won a Dobby?

That's all for now. I'll be back soon! :) 

Try the Gift-It Challenge (12+)

2vtzfar.png

Icon by legendson. Sig by anyroad.

I've written some stories (12+) Questions awayy! (12+)

#14 MissesWeasley123

MissesWeasley123

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

Hiya again!

1) AH SANGUINI THE VAMPIRE IS SO PERF. Tell me, what was your inspiration for it?

2) Why do you love Dennis so much?

3) I've noticed, that everything you post is perfection. Literally. ;) How do you go by editing your work?

4) Would you ever tackle a Next Generation?

And I'd like to finish off by adding how much I love your stories. I love your page, and will soon be trying to make my way through everything. But seriously, the way you write is amazing. 

#15 teh tarik

teh tarik

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 568 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

Ugh, I'm sorry I took SO LONG to answer your lovely questions, Adi and Nadia! NaNo stole all my life, I swear.

Teh! I can't believe I have't been here yet.
I have some questions for you :)

1) What inspired you to write Apple Island? It's such an unique concept, and I think you know how much I love it!

2) How long do you think Apple Island will be?

3) I see that you tend to write more stories centered around minor characters. What is it about minor characters that you like so much?

4) Do you plan your stories? If so, how?

5) I love your writing style. I love how you make the chracters thoughts and emotions seem so raw, and I absolutely adore your vivid descriptions? Who or what is the inspiration behind your writing?

6) I know that I'm quite late, but how does it feel to have won a Dobby?

That's all for now. I'll be back soon! :)

Adi! :wub:

1. Aww, thank you! I'm so glad you liked Apple Island! It's a very new story for me, and it certainly is a new style and subject matter that I'm trying out. I wrote it for the First Chapter Challenge which was held a few months ago, though I never got it in by the deadline, of course. My original plan was to write a Remus/Tonks, exploring their life but in reverse chronology, from their moment of death to the happier moments. (Because Remus/Tonks in the proper order is only going to end in misery for everyone :p ) But I wasn't too inspired with that one; I wanted to try something different. In the end I settled with Andromeda. I combined a lot of different ideas in my head, and I'm also fond of Arthurian legend (hence Avalon or the Isle of Apples), but I didn't want to write a grand, sweeping tale of mythical proportions. That got me thinking of writing something smaller, a local legend. These things hold as much mystery and intrigue as large-scale epic myths and legends. And among all that, I want to situate the story of Andromeda and her changing family. She's quite an interesting character to explore, given the amount of suffering she must have been through - almost all her loved ones being lost to the war.

2. It's a short story, so I'm guessing four or five chapters. I do have a vague idea of what is going to happen in those chapters. I hope to start writing this fic again during the December queue closure!

3. It's fun to explore them! Some of the things that the minor characters have been through are really extraordinary, though of course, these pale in significance to what the Golden Trio experienced. But to look at these things from the perspectives of those characters...it must have been really life-changing. They must have felt so much. I'm interested in giving life to them, in seeing them portrayed as real people despite their occasional caricature-ish depictions in canon. You can take certain minor events in canon and make them absolutely personal and haunting through the perspectives of affected minor characters. e.g. Colin's death through Dennis' eyes, Lavender being attacked by Greyback etc. 

4. I do plan some of them. I just collect as many ideas as possible and write them down, and then I start rearranging them in order, and then I write! It's the rearranging parts that require a lot of work; for instance, some scenes will have more impact when juxtaposed with certain other scenes. If I see something happen in real life, or someone says something interesting, I note them down, and possibly fit them into my own stories.

5. Thank you! This is a tricky one. I don't have any specific person/story that inspires me, but I try to learn as much as possible from every single piece of fiction that I read. I don't read a lot, unfortunately, due to time constraints, but when I do get the chance to pick up a novel, I pay close attention to how writers structure their stories, how they depict their characters, how much detail they use, what sorts of details they use, the language and POV and how they deal with time skips and what works and what doesn't...etc. Basically, I study everything I read, which means I take a long time to read things. I get inspiration from any piece of fiction!

6. Ugh, ugh, ugh, honestly I'm going to tear up again. It means a HUGE deal to me when someone reads and reviews my story positively, but to have people actually voting for them and thinking they're good enough to win is just.../cries, I mean to have your writing appreciated is just...claksjdkmsc (cue incoherence and keyboard smashing). I'm honestly very humbled by the whole experience.

Thank you for your lovely questions, Adi! ♥♥

Hiya again!

1) AH SANGUINI THE VAMPIRE IS SO PERF. Tell me, what was your inspiration for it?

2) Why do you love Dennis so much?

3) I've noticed, that everything you post is perfection. Literally. ;) How do you go by editing your work?

4) Would you ever tackle a Next Generation?

And I'd like to finish off by adding how much I love your stories. I love your page, and will soon be trying to make my way through everything. But seriously, the way you write is amazing. 

Nadia! :wub: Thank you for stopping by again! 

1. AH THANK YOU ♥♥ Seriously, your response to this fic is just mind-blowing! I actually came across a fanfic with Sanguini in it, and he was a character I'd completely forgotten. Suddenly, it dawned upon me that THERE ARE ACTUALLY VAMPIRES IN THE WIZARDING WORLD. And then I wanted to write about Sanguini. And with writing vampires, I simply couldn't ignore the whole lot of vampire narratives existing out there; I wanted to write a sort of vampire compliant with the Potterverse but also have a slightly different interpretation to the contemporary vampire figure. Contemporary vampires are very glamorised (pun intended ahaha) and honestly, they sound so much better than staying a boring old human. I don't like my characters to have such good fun, so for poor old Sanguini, I let him live forever, physically, but he pays for it with his rapidly deteriorating mental condition. Also, there's something of a footnote in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them about the conflict of whether vampires should really be put in the 'Beings' division as opposed to 'Beasts'. That also partly inspired my portrayal of Sanguini.

2. WHY DO I LOVE DENNIS SO MUCH? WHY IS THIS QUESTION SO PERFECT AND SO EMBARRASSING...haha... :p OK, don't we all have a particular character that we love to write and whump and mistreat? Or is it just me. Well, I started being obsessed with liking Dennis Creevey when I wrote my oneshot you can write the book, which is still one of my favourite things I've written. It's just something that's close to my heart and Dennis just grew on me. It's such a sad story, him losing his brother. Neither one of them were particularly popular characters in the books; I get the feeling that others thought they were a bit weird and definitely rather annoying. But it's quite clear that they were close to each other, so it probably didn't matter what others thought. AND THEN COLIN DIES. Seriously, I think I'm a lot sadder for Dennis than I am for George Weasley and that's saying a lot (at least  George got married and had kids and he always had a supportive family around, anyway). There's no such information on what happened to Dennis :(

3. Aww, shucks! *blushes* THANK YOU ♥ Editing is something of a headache for me these days. Especially for longer things I've written, because that would mean re-reading everything and every single sentence, sometimes reading them aloud to make sure they don't sound too awkward or clunky. And if things don't really sound great, then I might have to rearrange parts of the story and such. Sometimes I delay editing quite a lot, so even if I finish writing something, I might not post it to the queue immediately because I've been lazy with the edits. Other times, I get so eager to post things to the queue that my editing becomes quite slipshod, and then I notice all these typos and grammar problems and continuity errors and I'm forced to take it off the queue to clean them up.

4. I am writing a ScoRose oneshot! It's originally meant for the Poetry Inspired Challenge which like, ended three months ago. :p But I started writing this before NaNo, and then got sidetracked by Sanguini, and then NaNo happened, and now I'm trying to finish this before queue closure! I don't have any plans to write longer chaptered Next Gen.

Thank you for your amazing questions, Nadia! ♥♥

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users