Mahalia

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Mahalia

A little about me ...

I've been off and on hpff for a good 5 years now, and I'm quite happy to be back. I write in depth stories that focus on characters and their development, and I tend to not focus on the going ons in Hogwarts.

I churn out stories like nobody's business, but then freak out because I'm so overwhelmed and disappear for a good year.

... I'm working on that.

I am an avid responder, and I take my reviewers and questions pretty seriously. I write to make myself and others happy, but it is just a hobby, hence why I write fanfiction. I do write original fiction stories, but it really depends on my mood.

Right now my older stories are going through some serious edits. Hopefully my authors page gets cleared up and all nice soon :)

That's really it! Feel free to ask me anything and I'll get to you asap!

May xx 

'I will not live with a wolf at my back.' - Fenris || set by somuch @tda.

s5e0yd.jpg

rozen_maiden @ HPFF || MTA || Blog (all links 12+)

#2 nott theodore

nott theodore

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 430 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hi May!  I'm Sian :)  I'm spreading some love around the MTA pages, so I've got some questions for you:

1. I really enjoyed reading your one-shot the futurist. What was your favourite part about writing it?

2. Do you have a trick for getting inside a character's head when you write them?

3. What's your favourite genre to read?  Is it different to your favourite genre to write?

4. What are your strengths as a writer?

5. What are your weaknesses?

6. What makes you a Slytherin?

7. What's your favourite thing about HPFF?

Have fun answering! :D

25yyfjl.png

Icon and signature by Violet@TDA

My stories [12+] My MTA [12+]

#3 Mahalia

Mahalia

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hey Sian! I love your name :happy:  

1) I'm so glad you liked reading it! I love getting positive feedback :) I absolutely loved getting into Lucius Malfoy's head - I really wanted to make sure that I covered all aspects of his persona that we are exposed to in the books - him as a loving father/husbad, a coward, however quick to calculate his surroundings and make the best of his situation. I also wanted to highlight that he was a strategist - Voldemort's best, actually, hence the battle scene. I think a lot of stories focus on one or the other with him, and I didn't want to do that. He's too deep for simplicity.

2) I wouldn't exactly call it a trick, but I research like crazy - wiki, study what JK said about them and other characters around them, and even what their actors say about the character. Of course, I find it easier with characters I like (Lucius, Draco, Hermione..), and I don't do it with all my stories, but if I'm determined to make it believable, studying is my key :) if it's an OC, I fill out character worksheets, write pretend interviews, etc. It sounds crazy, and it is :p

3) I love to read humour and romance, but I really struggle at writing it. And I love to write action/adventure and romance (lately), but I can't read it. It's strange!

4) My strengths, if I were to go on what other's mention in reviews, would have to be my descriptions and story flow. I love a good description, and think that it can really make or break your readers and story. I tend to go over my story's 7 times before I stop adding and subtracting paragraphs, and then I do the extra editing because of this. I'm paranoid, but my favourite writers focus heavily on description, and I hope to get as good as them one day :)

5) The dreaded tense is my weakness :( I get so excited, I literally forget where I'm at in my story. It's a work in progress, and hopefully it will change (maybe). I'm so thankful I have access to beta readers here, otherwise I would be doomed!

6) That's a tough one! I'm ambitious and cunning (I think quickly in situations, social or other), however when faced with any problem that may cause drama or danger, I'm more cowardly than a mouse. Seriously, the thought of bungee jumping gives me goosebumps. I couldn't be brave for anything :p That makes being a Slytherin sound bad, but it's not! Mind and intellectual accomplishments speak more to me I guess... and this is where Pottermore put me, so ... who am I to judge?  :blushing:

7) Well, right now I'm loving the new site! I also love the community, the oppurtunity for feedback and help with your writing, and the support. I don't think I could have come this far in my writing without it all. It's amazing!

Anyway, thanks so much for stopping by! I loved answering your questions, and it's so nice that you came over an asked  :happy:

s5e0yd.jpg

#4 toomanycurls

toomanycurls

New Blood in the Queue

• Validator
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:12 AM

This is kismet, I am returning to FF after a long hiatus as well. ^_^

How was it returning after so long? 

How do you keep track of your plot ideas?

When you sit down to write a new fic, how much if it is pre-planned?

.:Rose:.

Author Page | MTA  (12+)

#5 Mahalia

Mahalia

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hey kismet, welcome back after so long! :) I hope you are enjoying being back as much as I have so far.

How was it after returning after so long?

I was very, very happy to be back. Hpff has such a wonderful community, and it was lovely to just start writing again and receiving feedback from your hard work. Not to mention reading other works and talking to other authors. I didn't realise how much I relied on support from hpff until I came back, and I can actually see how much my writing improves from it. Not to mention, I love interacting with the people on here, and giving them my own support towards their works. It is just a very nice feeling to be back in this community.

How do you keep track of your plot ideas?

Ohh, now my secret comes out  :blushing: I am, honestly, not a very good 'author'. I don't really keep track of my plot ideas, and in some of my older works, like Not Once, Not Ever and Leather and Lace it shows through with my sporadic, 'free' writing. I actually had to abandon Leather and Lace recently because when I started writing it, I didn't write the plot down, relying on my memory solely. So, of course, after my 2/3 year hiatus, I have totally forgotten what I was writing and trying to achieve with that story. It's sad, and I should learn from my mistakes, but I haven't. Whenever I try to write my plots or a chapter synopsis, I get so wrapped up in following what I have written in these outlines, I can't actually write the chapters. So far, for my current story, I have written the basic, main plot, and it's left all side plots open, leaving me some of that free writing so I don't become obsessed. So far, all is going well, so let's hope it stays that way  :happy: I have a pretty good memory for my own stories, and nothing really changes from my first thoughts, keeping it relatively easy to keep track on my ideas.

When you sit down to write a new fic, how much of it is pre-planned?

It really depends on the story. One-shots, like the futurist. and A Liar are pre-planned around the character themselves. I will think of a significant event that has shaped their personalities and just write the event in one sitting. Sometimes, when I get ideas, it will stay in my head for a day to a week, but I never write anything down about the plot until it is perfect in my mind. This is mainly because I don't want to worry so much about my idea (like I said before, I can't write a story if too much is pre-planned).

Bigger stories, like Kamikaze, remain in my head. I'll have my basic plot, usually a paragraph talking about the characters, their purpose in the novel, and what is going to happen in the beginning and then the end. However, all that happens in between is based on how I think the characters will react in the situation. For example, for a chapter, I could write one sentence to base the chapter around - Draco leaves the hospital and goes home; Daphne has made a device to help with communication between the group. All that happens in between is completely unplanned. I had Astoria appear in this chapter, out of whim, and I just let the characters react themselves. If Draco says this, what will Astoria say? If he kisses her, what does she do? I'm very much a character writer instead of a plot writer, however the beginning and end of my story will always stay the same.

Thank you for taking the time to ask those questions! They were a lot of fun to think on and answer!  Again, I hope you enjoy your time back writing fanfiction, and being a part of the community once more  :happy:

s5e0yd.jpg

#6 MissesWeasley123

MissesWeasley123

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

Hello Mahalia! I'm Nadia :) Been going around spreading some questions, and thought I'd stop by!

1. What is your OTP?
2. Do you have any favourite authors on the archives?
3. What's youe writing style like?
4. Seen anything happen in RL that made you all warm and fuzzy inside?

That's all for now =)

VeLeFiW.png  lefRyZ3.png  zHEDsgu.png

I write stuff sometimes. {15+ to M}      

For you, a thousand times over.[12+]

(The Khaled Hosseini Quote Challenge)

#7 Mahalia

Mahalia

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hey there Nadia! So sorry about the late reply - I've been really busy lately :/

1) What is your OTP?

Haha, well I actually didn't even know what OTP was until a few months ago! I love reading Lucius/Narcissa stories in fan fiction, and I also loved them in the books. I have never really been able to write them comfortably myself. I'm afraid I wouldn't do them enough justice - they are such a versatile pair, and it is really interesting to see where people take them in their own stories. 

2) Do you have any favourite authors on the archives?

I love reading anything by cedrixfan - a retired author, but her stories still remain amazing. I'm also a bit of a justonemorefic fangirl. She is an amazing and versatile writer, with incredible character depth.

3) What's your writing style like?

Wow, that's a big question! My writing style is ever changing, but if there is one thing that stays, it is a perceptive attention to characters and the events around them. When I write I try to keep my characters both in canon and have them react realistically. I believe that a story cannot exist without some kind of characterisation (this can also apply to inanimate objects, if done correctly), so my writing style, and philosophy, encompass this whole theme. I'm also a sucker for less dialogue, more interactions and actions, and to never, ever begin a story or chapter with dialogue, if it can be helped. I have rules when writing, and I stick to them as much as I can (probably why I struggle so much, too).

4) Seen anything happen in RL that made you all warm and fuzzy inside?

My dog is pretty darn cute. Anytime he hugs my friend's cat when we visit, I'm pretty sure I turn to jelly. Turns out staffy's really like cats ;) I was also at a primary school last week for some volunteering work and one of the girls in the class I was sitting in helped a little boy with his reading, and when they were done he hugged her. It was really sweet  :happy:

Thank you for stopping by! I wish I could answer longer, but I must be off :( I hope you have a lovely day!

s5e0yd.jpg

#8 harrypotterlover1

harrypotterlover1

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

OK, I'm here with some questions if you want them...

1. If you had to pick one moment from HP that is you favourite what would it be?

2. Do you do that thing where you compare every other book to HP? I'm always doing that. 'yeah it was a good book but....HP is better' or is that just me?

3. Do you get inspired by reading fanfaction?

4. If there was another Harry Potter which era would you like it to be about?

5. Do you like brownies?

6. Do you write OF?

7. What would your animagus be?

8. Why do you write?

:D :D :D :D

Evasive Normality (M)

5z1gjs.jpg

Author Page (12+ - M) ll MTA (12+) ll Reviews (12+)

Thanks to Lady Asphodel @TDA for the amazing set

#9 Mahalia

Mahalia

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

Hey there! Thank you for the lovely questions :) I am so sorry it took me a while to get here - I've been away these past few days, but it is good to be back.

OK, I'm here with some questions if you want them...

1. If you had to pick one moment from HP that is you favourite what would it be?

2. Do you do that thing where you compare every other book to HP? I'm always doing that. 'yeah it was a good book but....HP is better' or is that just me?

3. Do you get inspired by reading fanfaction?

4. If there was another Harry Potter which era would you like it to be about?

5. Do you like brownies?

6. Do you write OF?

7. What would your animagus be?

8. Why do you write?

1. Ohhh... From the books, probably when Harry and Hermione saved Buckbeak and Sirius in PoA. I read it when I was younger, and it literally blew my mind. I seriously read that book so many times after that, just because of its amazing ending. And in the movie ... I would have to definitely say when Lucius Malfoy hands over his wand to Voldemort. *shiver* I couldn't imagine a worse - or more deserving - fate for Lucius, and the scene was just perfectly executed, I thought.

2. Haha - yes, and it drives my boyfriend mental! Lately I'm reading more novels that are so different that it becomes impossible for me to compare for this reason :p

3. I find it hard. I think, inspiration for me comes a lot from originality in characters, and not in plot - making inspiration in fanfiction very hard, as character wise, they aren't original. OC fics and NextGen have inspired me occasionally, but not to the same extent as reading a novel I borrow from the library. 

4. Oh, I think definitely the Founders! I would love to know how they built Hogwarts, what every motivation drove them there, and who they are. They seem like such fascinating characters!

5. I love brownies! 

6. Ah, this question! I dread it :p Yes and no... When I was younger, I used to write a lot of OF - it was all I did - but lack of confidence and an over-active imagination had me stressed to the maximum, so I stopped, and started to read and write fanfiction. Now, I really only write fanfiction. My original stories are great - I love them - and occasionally I will write about them because the characters won't leave me alone, but it is never anything substantial. I'm also studying Early Childhood Education at Uni, and writing is nothing more than a hobby - I've never wanted a job out of it. Maybe one day I'm write and finish all my ideas, but in the meantime, it is just for fun and fanfiction fills my fun factor well.

7. I think, it would definitely be my childhood dog, Spider - he was a German Shepherd x German Pointer. He was like my Guardian Angel when I was younger - whenever I screamed, he would be next to me in a second, ready to protect. I've had dogs since his passing, but none of them had that same level of devotion, loyalty and dedication.

8. I write because I have to. My imagination is insane - filled with characters and places and scenes playing out in my head. If I didn't write, I think I would go crazy. Fortunately for me, I also love to write - I love the sound of keys on a keyboard, I love reading my old works, and I love improvement, and writing is one of those hobbies that you can constantly improve on.

Thank you again for taking the time to ask those questions! I had a wonderful time answering them :)

s5e0yd.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users