• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:54 AM

Hi! :D Thank you so much for these awesome questions! 

1. If you had to compare yourself to a Quidditch ball, which would you be and why?

Haha, I love this question. Hmm, I'm probably most like the snitch. I can be quite solitary and like my alone time on occasion, and I'm pretty all over the place like the snitch is during the match. :p

2. The Wandering One (M) is one of my five favorite stories on the archives. It seems like it would be immensely challenging to write. Do you have a method that helps you manage balancing all the historical and realistic elements of the various locales with the magical elements and character development?

Thank you! :) That's so lovely to hear. The story is generally based off of places which I visited last year when I was traveling, and so most of the locations which Victoire visits are ones I've experienced firsthand. The legends and stories which she learns about while traveling are usually taken from the local history or lore, like the giant at the Giant's Causeway, or the golem in Prague. In that way, the story is quite easy to write, because the inspiration is already there. My method for each chapter has been to make a list of the things which stood out to me most when I was in those locations, and then to think about how the local stories could fit into the wizarding world. A big part of it is finding the more mystical aspects of a place: like with the Flanders Fields chapter, for example, we know that many people would have died there, and that ghosts exist in the wizarding world, so it would fit that the ghosts of soldiers might still be lingering about. So it's this weird mixture of finding the most interesting thing about a location and tying it into the HP world. 

I'm not sure if this answers your question, haha. But the story is far easier to write because I've actually been to those locations. The hardest chapter so far was the Romania chapter, as the characters needed to go there and sort out some loose ends, but I've never been to a dragon sanctuary or to the wilderness in east-central Europe, for that matter. So writing the setting was far more difficult in that chapter than in the others. 

3. Same story - Victoire's characterization is very unique and absolutely excellent. What parts (if any) of yourself you see in her and what parts (if not all) you crafted solely using your creative abilities?

I'm so glad you like her! I would say that Victoire is quite like myself because we react similarly to situations. Victoire is a good listener and she usually keeps her sass and talking about herself down to a minimum when she's meeting somebody interesting - I wouldn't say she's shy, as traveling by herself and meeting these questionable characters requires a certain amount of boldness, but she's not an intrusive character which makes her good at letting the cities and other characters tell their stories. For example, she doesn't tell Alexander to go away and leave her alone in the first chapter - she's too polite for that, but she's privately very irritated and runs off from him instead of being honest. That's definitely something I would do.

Victoire is also a bit of a free spirit and her love for traveling and need for independence - like her feelings about breaking up with Teddy - was definitely inspired by myself. Wow, now that I look at it closely, she is very much like me! :p

4. You have participated in an immense number of challenges. What do you like so much about them? Which was your favorite?

Yes! I really like the aspect of working on a deadline, and it helps a lot with actually getting the story written and posted. I can actually get things done when there's a deadline involved, and a challenge deadline is even more effective than a personal one. I also love the feeling of participating in a challenge and knowing that at least one other person wants to read the story, it's very encouraging. And of course, challenges give me all kinds of fun ideas which I might not have thought of. 

Picking a favourite is so hard! I'm going to cheat and say two. I really loved the 'Fairly Magical Fables' challenge, as it gave me the chance to try out a more fairytale-esque writing style and era, and I ended up producing a mini-novella out of it which I really enjoyed. The concept of the challenge was so cool and it was fun tying in the story of the Pied Piper to the wizarding world. My other favourite was the 'Art Tells Stories' challenge where I wrote a short story about the Fat Lady. It just flowed so well when I was working on it and I thought the challenge idea was amazing since it was all about Hogwarts lore, and that story is one of my favourites which I've written. 

5. If you could ask one question of one canon character, who would it be and what would you ask them?

I would love to meet Hagrid and ask him about his life: how it felt to be different from the other children, his emotions and reactions when he was expelled, and what it has been like to be victimized and targeted by the Ministry and other institutions his whole life and yet still stay such a positive and loving person who, despite being very physically strong and powerful, is very gentle and not bitter or vengeful. For the one question, I suppose I would ask him, "How have you negotiated your place in this world, and what would you say to other children who are different?" And to meet Hagrid regardless would be so wonderful - I'm working on a story about him now so that might have inspired this response. 

Thanks again for all the lovely questions, they were so fun to answer! :D

slytherinsig_zpscd7be9c7.gif

Author Page [M]||Wonderful set by Wistful. 

Go Slytherin!

#32 nott theodore

nott theodore

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hi Jenna!  I know I'm very behind on your stories, but I wanted to stop by with a few questions!

1. How did you come up with the plot for Sevenfold?

2. Was it difficult writing a murder mystery?  What was the most challenging aspect?

3. How difficult was it to write from Louis's point of view?  (If I'm write, this is the first longer story you've written that's from a male perspective?)

4. Which of your stories are you proudest of?

QiLjOhD_zpsc5f38e9a.gif?t=1403108694

Gryffindor House Cup 2014 set by Elenia!

:Gryffindor: Bravery in our blood, determination in our hearts! :Gryffindor:

my stories [12+] my mta [12+]

#33 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 583 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:14 AM

Hi Sian! :D Ah, I'm so glad I checked this - thanks for the lovely questions! <3 

1. How did you come up with the plot for Sevenfold?

I was looking at the Murder Mystery challenge and liked the idea of the copycat killer - where a murderer is paralleling a historical killer. My first idea was to have it be Jack the Ripper who was being copied, just because I know a bit about Ripper lore, but then I got the idea of tying in the murders to HP characters from the second wizarding war and came up with the idea of Ada being the sevenfold killer, and the rest of the plot was born from there. 

2. Was it difficult writing a murder mystery?  What was the most challenging aspect?

In a pretty tightly structured mystery like Sevenfold, it was important to make sure the right clues were being revealed at the right places, and to set up the mystery in a way that would allow the reader to figure out the killer if they were very perceptive without making it too obvious. So finding that balance was quite challenging. One thing I did do was make a chart with each suspect and each victim, and write down whether that suspect could have a motive/method/access to that victim, so that they couldn't be ruled out until the story needed them to be. 

3. How difficult was it to write from Louis's point of view?  (If I'm write, this is the first longer story you've written that's from a male perspective?)

It was - Louis was my first real male narrator for a longer story. I think because of his personality and voice, by the time I got to the second or third chapter it felt quite natural. It's funny, because I was originally going to write with James as the main character, but changed halfway through the first chapter to Louis - James is a lot more wild and energetic and impulsive in my head canon, so Louis, who is more perceptive and insecure and careful, fit the role and my style of narration far better. I think if I'd stuck with James as the main character it would have been a lot harder to write him, but Louis was relatively easy to relate to. I'd love to try more male characters in the future! 

4. Which of your stories are you proudest of?

I'm not sure if this is because I talked about it in the other questions, but quite possibly Sevenfold at the moment. I think it came together with structure and plot in a way I've never been able to write before, and I'm quite pleased with both how the mystery unfolded as well as the characterizations and voice turned out. The story feels very complete and I wouldn't change much if I could write it all over again. Also, I was recently editing over the final three chapters and had this weird moment where I objectively looked at it and said to myself, "that is some very nice writing" - the ending sort of gives me chills and feels despite being its writer. I don't have many moments of pride like that so it was sort of sweet. I've learned a lot from writing Sevenfold: about male characters, mysteries and plots, and even how it just feels to complete a story, and I'm actually pretty proud of that! :) 

Thanks so much for the questions, darling!

Go Slytherin!

#34 nott theodore

nott theodore

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

Back again!  :D

1. How did it feel to have your story winning bonus points and being posted on the home page of the archives? (Congratulations!)

2. Do you tend to write on paper or on a computer first?

3. Where do you do most of your planning?

4. Do you have any tips on how to write so much so quickly?

QiLjOhD_zpsc5f38e9a.gif?t=1403108694

Gryffindor House Cup 2014 set by Elenia!

:Gryffindor: Bravery in our blood, determination in our hearts! :Gryffindor:

my stories [12+] my mta [12+]

#35 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 583 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Hehe hello again!  :wub:

1. How did it feel to have your story winning bonus points and being posted on the home page of the archives? (Congratulations!)

Oh wow, thank you! :) It was such a lovely surprise, especially considering the amazing quality of all the entries. It's been especially nice hearing positive feedback from people on that story especially since it's quite personal and close to my heart, so it really did mean a lot. 

2. Do you tend to write on paper or on a computer first?

Usually on a computer, since it's faster, but on occasion and especially if I don't have instant access to a computer I'll use my notebook/school book/a napkin/whatever is available and then transcribe it later. I tend to do a lot of planning and outlining on paper as well: usually my first step when thinking of a new story is making a list of everything I want to include, so I'll almost always start in my notebook. 

3. Where do you do most of your planning?

I tend to get a lot of ideas when either walking or traveling (trains, cars etc). It gives me time to think away from the distractions of the Internet and other people and often I'll think about a story and carry it around it my head until I have the time to sit down and write/type it out. I also love sitting in coffee shops and doing some planning and writing there, and find the atmosphere so healthy for writing. 

4. Do you have any tips on how to write so much so quickly?

I'm not sure if I'm in the best place to answer this right now judging by my slow start in JulNo this month. :p But what usually works for me is a combination of things. First, it helps to set aside specific times for writing, like signing up for a rat race or even just closing all web browsers and opening a word document and staring at it until your fingers start moving. Or sometimes I'll go to a coffee shop with the specific purpose of writing. During the school year, I would do this, and have a list of all the things I wanted to do. So it might be: 1. Read David Copperfield (20 mins). 2. Do poli sci readings (20 mins). 3. Write Play the Devil (15 mins). And then cross things off as I went along, so writing and schoolwork sort of balance one another out, but also serve to inspire each other and get in the reading/studying/writing mood. 

Another tip is to do a lot of planning, both on paper and in your head. Sometimes when I sit down to write a chapter, I've been thinking about it all day and already know exactly what's going to happen, so the words flow really quickly. I especially found this with Sevenfold since it was quite meticulously outlined (for me) and was quite easy to follow that pattern. 

Thanks for the awesome questions, my dear! They were so fun to answer! :D

Go Slytherin!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users