• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 617 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hi Emily! :D Wow, thanks for these awesome questions, I'm excited to answer! 

1. I've commented on this before, you have this amazing writing style that reads like prose or poetry and it's a pleasure to read. Do you style it like that on purpose, or is it natural for you?

Well thank you! *blushes* Writing in a sort of poetic tone or voice comes quite naturally, to be honest. I think it comes out even more when I'm writing certain stories and characters, such as historic voices like Richard in PTD or my Founders story, or the one-shots which are more description than dialogue driven. In some of my stories like GfS I've actually tried to tone it down a little because the character sounds a little more poetic than she probably should. :p 

2. I know your short story collection Resistance and GfS and several one-shots all focus on those from the Dark Side of the Wizarding War, so how do you manage with writing the other side of the Wizarding War?

I suppose in a way I feel like the "good" side is kind of Harry's turf, and it's fun to play with the bad guys and explore their motivations and stories. When writing the characters on the "bad" side I try to imagine their motivations and goals: for example, Tor in GfS is very close with her family, but also has this emerging world view which aligns her with the other side. Her personality is youthful and relatively independent whereas characters like Nott in Resistance have put all their effort and stakes into Voldemort winning, so the two have very different connections to being aligned with the Death Eaters. I love writing the darker characters since we know less about them and there's a lot of freedom in imagining how the Death Eaters might work and how they would convince people to join their side, whereas I would feel more restricted while writing the "good" side. That being said, my WIP Magpie is going to involve the main character getting involved with the Order of the Phoenix, so I have been working towards writing about them as well. 

3. Why do you love writing minor characters so much?

There's just so much freedom with minor characters! I would be so nervous to take on Harry, Ron and Hermione because I feel like their personalities are so perfectly laid out in the books that they are entirely JKR's. I've honestly never seen any of the three of them written quite right in fan fiction, and not because the authors lack talent, but because I feel like we know so much about them that it's impossible to write them properly. With minor characters, there's room for growth and potential and putting something of the writer's own self into the character's story. 

Also, one of my favourite thinks about HP is the density and complexity of the entire world JKR has created. I love to see people play within that world without repeating the same story, but exploring wizards' relation to Muggle history, or the impact of being a wizard on diverse situations which may have nothing to do directly with Harry. The world transcends the plot in a way, and I really love being able to take that world and shape it in unique ways with minor characters. 

4. What gave you the inspiration for Play the Devil?

Ooh, well at the beginning of this year I read 'The Kingmaker's Daughter' by Phillipa Gregory and it was such a fascinating book and gave me a unique perspective on Richard III: I knew a bit about him from reading the other books in her series and general knowledge but never spared him much grief. Then in February when I was living in England I read some articles about finding his body in Leicester and thought it was so interesting, how his body had just been there after all this time, and how by uncovering it they could discover all these interesting things about him, like whether he really was a hunchback, and so forth. And things just sort of escalated from there: I visited the city of York and when walking the city walls discovered the Richard III museum which is in one of the bars/gates; I read Shakespeare's play and watched it on youtube whenever I had a spare moment; I watched documentaries, read books, did a lot of research on the controversies of his reign and whether he was the horrendous villain history makes him out to be. Long story short, I found Richard to be a really dynamic figure and the obsession sort of spiralled upwards over several months. 

So I suppose the story was born from this interest in Richard and the period, and somehow the idea of time travel involving him popped into my head. It started with the scene from the prologue of PTD, where the character is searching for something, clearly out of her mind, and there is something creepy going on - I won't say more since it's probably not 12+ and don't want to spoil for anyone who is planning to read it! And the plot just built up from that image and my idea of Richard in my head, and then Rose was born and I decided to make her Rose Weasley and place the story in the HP verse. So the rather rambly response to your question is that the inspiration was born of a process more than anything else. :)

5.  Tea or coffee?

Ohh well you know what as a high school student I would have said coffee, as tea was always something my parents drank. But now that I'm in university and some sort of adult my true love is tea, it's less harsh on my poor ageing (well, sort of) body and is so pleasant and calming! :) Living among the English helped encourage this as well, the stereotypes about the English and tea are not unfounded in my experience. Now I'll have coffee if I have an exam or need to stay awake desperately but usually I stick with tea. :p

Thanks for the lovely questions Emily, you really made my day by dropping by here! <3 

Author Page [M]|| beautiful set by catharsis at TDA||Link in image rated M.

sevenfoldsig_zps6fec6171.png

NaNoWriMo 2014: original novel The Devil's Champion 

Word Count: 24,531/50,000

#17 greenbirds

greenbirds

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:42 AM

Hey Jenna! I'm obsessed with The Girl From Slytherin; it's 2:37am and I'm still up, reading it. You're such a talented writer, I could go on all day about it but I've already done so in my many reviews of TGRS as I read through your novel.

1. Did anybody inspire Terry's character? How do you paint such a vivid character, one often forgotten about in the shadows of the other members of the DA?

2. I like tattoos, too, and I want to get one. What tattoo would you get/do you already have?

3. I also liked a Midsummer's Night Dream, we finished studying it in English Lit last year and I have to say, it's my second favourite after Much Ado. What makes you like a Midsummer's Night Dream?

4. You write very, very well. I gush over it in my reviews to you, sorry, I'm really tired and over-excited by Terry and Tor. Who are your writing influences? Do you want to, or write professionally? You so should.

5. Who's your favourite character from TGFS?

6. Who's the most difficult character to write?

7. Why Yaxley, as opposed to the other Death Eaters?

I apologise again for this. I'm so annoying. Bea xo

Edited by BeaJerry, 03 January 2014 - 02:43 AM.

author page(12+) // tumblr(M)

"And the moon we love like a brother, whilst he shines through the roof." 

fluorescent adolescent(M) [a teenage love story of mild extremes]

#18 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Hi Bea! :D Thank you for the lovely reviews and these awesome questions, you really have idea how happy it makes me that you like the story!

1. Did anybody inspire Terry's character? How do you paint such a vivid character, one often forgotten about in the shadows of the other members of the DA?

This is such a good question! I think all my characters are inspired from a mixture of people and my own personality, but Terry was at least a little inspired from the boy I was seeing when writing GfS. For the most part, however, Terry sort of created himself. I wanted someone who was quite unknown and forgotten as you said, and so there's a lot of freedom in his personality and relationships. I liked how he was part of the DA, however, because it showed that he was interested in fighting and standing up for what he believed in. He had to be a very moral character, and he's very conscious of others: these qualities make him the kind of person who Tor can empathize with and relate to, but he also has a mischievous and silly side. Writing the chapter from his perspective and exploring his thoughts towards Tor and his friends really helped me establish his character as well, and I feel like I know him a lot better now.

2. I like tattoos, too, and I want to get one. What tattoo would you get/do you already have?

Yay! Tattoos are so cool. I don't have any at the moment but I have a few ideas which I've been stewing over. If you know about Achilles in Greek mythology, he's killed by an arrow which hits him in the only weak point on his body which is his heel. And so an Achilles heel represents the weakest point. I really like the idea of getting a quote from a poem which is really important to me on my Achilles heel so that when feeling weakest, I could think of that and be stronger- it sounds a little silly! :p I have a handful of lines from favourite poems which I've been thinking about, and most of my tattoo ideas involve words of some sort. But I really want to be 100% before getting one. 

3. I also liked a Midsummer's Night Dream, we finished studying it in English Lit last year and I have to say, it's my second favourite after Much Ado. What makes you like a Midsummer's Night Dream?

That's awesome! Hmm, I can't remember exactly how my love for the play started but I was very interested in it when I was quite young- I might have read an abridged version or been told about it or something. Then I found my parents' huge crusty volume of 'The Complete Works of Shakespeare' and devoured the play when I was a little older, and put on little performances with my toys reading the parts. :p I've seen it performed three or four times, once at the Globe Theatre in London which was SO COOL, and know the most passages from MND than any other Shakespeare play. I think it's just such a magical story, I've always loved the fairies and how devious they are, and how the play delights and confuses everyone but in the most imaginative way. The fairies' lines especially are just perfect and really take the reader/viewer away into their world. 

4. You write very, very well. I gush over it in my reviews to you, sorry, I'm really tired and over-excited by Terry and Tor. Who are your writing influences? Do you want to, or write professionally? You so should.

Aww, thank you! *blushes* You're really so nice! I would love to write professionally someday, if I find the right story. My problem with writing has always been the structure of the story and it always seems to trail off and become weaker about 3/4 of the way through the narrative, so writing on this site for now has been really helpful in teaching me to write a complete story arc. My writing influences I would have to say are JKR, of course, for many reasons, but principally because she has this incredible skill for world-building and creating characters and pieces of the puzzle which fit together so eloquently. Then Charles Dickens, because he writes in a sort of maximizing style, with words and words and words and hundreds of characters and thoughts and themes. He writes in excess, whereas so many writers these days are told to cut down to the bare bones of the story and only say what is important. I think I take after Dickens in that I want to have dozens of characters all with their own stories which make it into the main narrative, and he's proof that writing like that can be well done as well. Hmm, then I'd also have to put Phillipa Gregory into the mix. Her books helped me first get interested in historical fiction and her style of prose and narration is really beautiful and powerful.

5. Who's your favourite character from TGFS?

I adore Pyxis, and I wish I could put him in every single chapter. He was one of the first proper OCs I ever created and he's just so much fun to write! He's a really good friend to Tor, and I love how there's nothing romantic between them: they're just kindred spirits. Pyxis is going to be tested a lot in the coming story, and I really enjoy exploring his character even farther.

6. Who's the most difficult character to write?

I find Snape quite difficult. I think he's one of those characters who is really hard to get right, and I feel that he's been a bit OOC in my story because he's a lot nicer to the Slytherins than he would be to Harry and company. With Snape, there are so many motivations and bitter memories which lurk beneath the surface, but the degree to which that is revealed to the watcher is very small as he is good at concealing his emotions, so it's really hard to find a balance. 

7. Why Yaxley, as opposed to the other Death Eaters?

Good question! I thought about creating a Death Eater Mr. Greengrass, but it felt more in line with canon to choose someone who already existed and had an impact on the books. Yaxley interested me because he's quite highly placed in the Ministry, and has somehow avoided suspicion for being a DE. He's very smooth, controlled and ambitious, and he isn't insane and sadistic like some of the darker DEs, and he's not as obviously slimy and manipulative as Lucius. I liked the idea of him sort of pulling puppet strings and being talented at mind control, since we know he was the one who Imperiused Pius Thicknesse. So he made a perfect character who Tor could easily love and idolize, since he keeps his crimes very well hidden under a smooth and charismatic front. The main difficulty was the issue of her name, but since we don't know much about Astoria anyway I decided to make it fit. :p

Thanks for these amazing questions, lovely! I had a lot of fun thinking about the answers. :D You've pretty much made my day (today and yesterday) with all this feedback and praise. <3 

#19 toomanycurls

toomanycurls

Site Statistician

• Validator
  • 563 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:23 AM

I've decided to come stalk your MTA page as I've review swapped with you quite a bit and have a few questions! :D

1. What made you connect the Fat Lady with the Smiths?
2. In Shadow, how did you decide on the woman who the incubus visted everynight? Was there something about her child that seemed fitting?
3. What was your inspiration for Holly and the Mistletoe? 
4. What challenges did you face in writing The Enchanted Ground without using pronouns to describe Thackeray?
5. In Miracle, what kept Narcissa and Andromeda so close together through their various adventures and even after decades apart? 

I think that's all I have for now!

.:Rose:.

eLiV2uH_zps11186152.png

Amazing set by lightleviosa5443@tda  | Author Page | MTA  (12+)

toomanycurls.png

#20 maraudertimes

maraudertimes

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hello! :D

1. Why did you decide to join the HPFF and HPFF forums community?
2. I'm almost certain that you've written in every era so far. Which has been/is your favourite to write in and why?
3. Where do you draw inspiration from?
4. What would you patronus be and why?
5. What would you think of when conjuring a patronus?
6. Out of all your MCs, which is your favourite and why?
7. If you could ask J.K. Rowling one thing about the HP verse, what would it be?
8. Which one of your stories are you absolutely, completely in love with and why?
9. Top 5 favourite fics on the archives and why?
10. Top 5 favourite spells and why?

11. Why did you decide to write a fic about the Fat Lady? (I really like A Chronicle of Wasted Time and was wondering how you came about the story).

12. I absolutely love your characterizations in The Girl from Slytherin (although you may have caught on to that with my latest review), so I was wondering how you came about some of the characters (Tor, Tor's immediate friends, Tor's sister).

13. How did you come about the plot for The Girl from Slytherin?

Hope to see what your answers are soon!

Lo:)

IMG_3875_zps1c1b3ab3.jpg

Signature by savyinwonderland@TDA || Avatar by 800 words of heaven @ HPFF

My Stories (12+)|| My MTA (12+)

#21 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Hi Rose! :D

1. What made you connect the Fat Lady with the Smiths?

Hmm, as I recall it was one of those immediate connections I made which fit the era I wanted to write the Fat Lady in. I had been interested in Hepzibah for a little while and the women seemed to tie together in a way, since they were both a little vain and silly and surrounded by luxury. Then when I started writing the Lady she turned out quite differently, but that's how Harry sees her. It worked out very well, as Hepzibah was clearly quite rich and so her mother might have a portrait done, and the era was perfect, so the connection pretty much just worked itself out! 

2. In Shadow, how did you decide on the woman who the incubus visted everynight? Was there something about her child that seemed fitting?

I actually started writing the story with no game plan. I was about halfway through with no clue how I was going to tie in the incubus to the HP-verse. I thought of the "wizard from the east" being an incubus child and then of course it fit that his counter-part would also be. I'd already come up with the idea of the woman who dressed like a man being the incubus' lover and all the pieces just fit perfectly. So when the reader finds out who she was, that was sort of when I found out as well, plus a bit of tweaking! 

I always thought ... that child... was a little too good to be true. I mean, he knows everything, is a brilliant wizard and thinker, and is also far superior to his siblings from what we know of them. I felt it was very fitting that there be a reason for his brilliance - that his father wasn't a regular wizard but an incubus. I got really excited when I had the realization I talked about above because the whole puzzle just fit together smoothly! 

3. What was your inspiration for Holly and the Mistletoe? 

Well I was originally going to write about an old man who tended the greenhouse and never had any romance. But I couldn't think of a good way to make that significant and tie it in. So I thought it might be nice to write about a house elf in that position instead, since they generally left out of stories and don't usually have a voice. I had no inspiration for writing a regular mistletoe-kissing story but really wanted to submit something to the Duel so out came Holly and Dobby. I was also quite inspired to write a very symbolic piece, where the mistletoe is both a positive and an entrapping thing which divides Holly from society and selfhood, so building on those ideas of being 'other' to the typical romance story helped to build up the story. 

4. What challenges did you face in writing The Enchanted Ground without using pronouns to describe Thackeray?

Oh dear, so much trouble at first! I basically had to be constantly alert and find new and creative ways to say things. I think it helped that in my mind, Thackeray is actually gender neutral: I have an idea of Thackeray's biological sex but that's not set in stone, and Thackeray is essentially gender-less in my head. If I had just been withholding the gender from the reader but had known myself, it would have been far harder. 

That being said, it got a lot easier by the third chapter and felt very natural to write Thackeray. I would actually recommend that everyone try this if they're looking for a challenge as it added a new need to write carefully and perceptively. The tricky part is finding alternative ways to say lines like "Thackeray grinned: his/her eyes were golden." Instead, I would say something like: "Thackeray grinned, and the golden eyes gleamed." So I had to play around with words and phrasing far more than usual. 

5. In Miracle, what kept Narcissa and Andromeda so close together through their various adventures and even after decades apart? 

Hmm, I think other than my wanting there to be a happy ending, I think there would still be bonds of sisterhood that would hold firm. Bellatrix in my opinion was too far gone and had caused too much harm to ever be forgiven by Andy, but Narcissa was her little sister and her close companion. Also, both of the sisters lose almost everything: their parents, Bella, Tonks and Lupin, Lucius (who rots in Azkaban for the rest of his life in my opinion), Draco (who in my head as well goes a little crazy after the war). So they have that bond of love and grief and need which brings them back together in the end. 

Thanks for the amazing questions, dear!  <3 

Hi Lo! :) Thanks for stopping by! 

1. Why did you decide to join the HPFF and HPFF forums community?

It just sort of... happened. I think discovering HPFF gave me a reason to write and helped me re-discover my passion for writing in a safe and fun environment. I wrote the beginnings of GfS and just thought, well, why not post it? :p And then I started seeing posts and things mentioning the forums and was intrigued and then got lured in by the challenges and review swaps and all the awesome ways to get involved, to both help others and be helped. I'm really glad I dared to venture over and check out the forums as I really can't imagine not having them now! 

2. I'm almost certain that you've written in every era so far. Which has been/is your favourite to write in and why?

Hehe, yes, I think the only one I haven't really taken on properly is Marauders. That's a tough question! I started out with Hogwarts era stories as there was already an existing structure to follow along with for the books, so that is quite helpful in structuring my stories. But I think my favourite stories are the ones which exist in 'Other' or 'Founders' eras, since the HP-verse is so complex and diverse and there's a lot of amazing facets of it to explore. I'm also a huge history nerd so stories that take place in the past are so exciting. So if I had to pick one, I think I'd say 'Other.' 

3. Where do you draw inspiration from?

Everywhere! A lot of my story ideas and inspirations come from literature I study in my classes, and from books in general. I find a lot of the character interactions are based on my own personal experiences. Traveling is also very inspiring - I have a lot of little stories and places I've picked up and put into my stories. For example, my short story collection 'The Wandering One' is essentially biographical, minus the magical elements. And a lot of the little stories in 'Magpie' are based on anecdotes I picked up while traveling. 

4. What would you patronus be and why?

Ah... I think I did one of those tests and it said a porcupine because I'm prickly, but I think the test thought I was far meaner than I actually am. :p It would probably be something like a cat - independent, good at entertaining itself, and quite perceptive, but also able to be sociable. Cats are sneaky like that, haha. 

5. What would you think of when conjuring a patronus?

This question is so hard!!! Umm, well when I first moved to England last year I was staying in London for a few days and the very first morning I left the hostel and just breathed in the fresh air and was so happy and exhilarated at having this whole city that was all mine for the next few days. So possibly that memory. Or, later that year my parents and sister came to visit and travel with me and I was just so excited to see them at the airport, so perhaps that memory as well. Or, I might just think about sitting in a coffee shop and writing - that's one of my favourite pastimes and even just imagining it is quite wonderful! 

6. Out of all your MCs, which is your favourite and why?

Right now, probably Rose from 'Play the Devil.' I've poured a lot of myself into her and she's a lot of fun to write. I think my handle on her personality and her voice is the best out of all my MCs and the way she sees the world and confronts adversity is very relatable. Plus, she's just really witty and flawed and funny. But really, she's the shiny new toy of the moment, and this question is a little like being asked to choose between children. 

7. If you could ask J.K. Rowling one thing about the HP verse, what would it be?

"When does Voldemort sleep, what does he eat and where does he go to the bathroom?" This has seriously been bothering me for forever. I probably sound ridiculous, but NEED to know!

8. Which one of your stories are you absolutely, completely in love with and why?

I LOVE THEM ALL. Okay, but if I really had to choose, probably Play the Devil or A Chronicle of Wasted Time. PTD is just like, my baby. It's the story that came together the fastest and it's so much work but a lot of fun to write and I think it's probably my best work so far. I've been neglecting it recently, but it's never far from my thoughts, and I just wish somebody else had written it so I could just grab it and read it and find out what happens already without having to do the work myself! :p But CoWT was just so lovely to write and I think of it very fondly as well. 

9. Top 5 favourite fics on the archives and why?

Agh! *goes to look over favourites* Well, definitely 'Delicate.' I think it's the ultimate next gen fanfiction. It confronts teen pregnancy in a very humble and realistic way, but also has a vivid cast of characters which are just seamlessly written. It's entertaining and silly and heartbreaking and endearing and very real. I think it deserves all the recognition it gets, and it's a perfect introduction for somebody just getting into fan fiction. 

Then, Innocent by MarauderLover7 is really, really brilliant. It's an AU about if Sirius had escaped from Azkaban when Harry was young and adopted him, and it's honestly just flawlessly written with so many sub-plots and characters and twists. It's over 450k and the author is so dedicated and updates weekly and has such a creative imagination and beautiful style. But I think that the characters are perfectly in sync with canon, every single one. It's truly of a majestic quality and everybody should read it if they're in HP-withdrawal and want to read something deliciously canon. 

Breaking the Quidditch Code and its sequel by Mistress are just pure entertainment glory. Mistress is such a vivacious writer and she creates really real characters, and whenever I'm in a sad mood reading some of her stories cheer me up right away. So that's definitely one of my top five. 

*continues to scroll*

Ah, Run by Toujours_Padfoot is really fantastic. I just think it's so creative and imaginative and I love how the author plays with the afterlife and brings back so many characters. The story is amazing for its idea, but the writing is also very lovely. I only wish I had been a better reviewer at the time of reading it because there are so many things I'd like to have said and commented on the first time I read it! 

Honour Among Thieves by starryskies55 definitely needs to be on this list too because it's just such a creative idea and really goes to show how much freedom there is while writing fan fiction. The author is so good at action scenes and it's just a really entertaining and exciting story. 

*takes deep breath* okay, and I also love so many other stories! Basically anything on my favourites list is absolute lurve. 

10. Top 5 favourite spells and why?

All the classics basically. Petrificus Totalis just because it's so convenient and poor Neville. Accio because I lose things/am too lazy to get up so that would be THE MOST USEFUL EVER THANKS. Like if I was a wizard I would just sit on my couch and accio things non-stop. Umm, Avada Kedavra because it sounds like Abracadabra which is quite ironic. Homenum Revelio because it would save me having to check under the bed and in the closet each time I get home (a little paranoid). And potential Protego because I would never need an umbrella, assuming it works as a rain repellant. So, yes, clearly all the spells which make life easier are awesome in my book. 

11. Why did you decide to write a fic about the Fat Lady? (I really like A Chronicle of Wasted Time and was wondering how you came about the story).

Thank you! I was actually assigned the character for the Art tells Stories challenge, but had liked the idea of writing about her for a while. She was one of my Unexpected Voice challenge prompts but nobody picked her! I wanted to write a historical story and one which might provide a new perspective on a canon character, and had also seen what JKR said about magical portraits on Pottermore and thought it was really cool to tie that in. 

12. I absolutely love your characterizations in The Girl from Slytherin (although you may have caught on to that with my latest review), so I was wondering how you came about some of the characters (Tor, Tor's immediate friends, Tor's sister).

Hehe thank you! Hmm, Tor just wrote herself in a way. She's very stiff, very stuck inside her own head, and very... hmm, eloquent in a way. She over-analyzes things and is easily misled or confused, and has a hard time sticking to her decisions. She was the one who mostly just came into my head and developed herself throughout the story - I think main characters often do that. 

As for her friends, well, they all play a sort of specific role which I had in my head from the beginning of the story. So, Taurus has his own problem, Phin plays a certain role in that problem, Amaris has her own fate. So all the OCs have their own motivations which I thought of from the beginning of the story, even if Tor isn't always aware what was going on. For Pyxis, I wanted Tor to have a goofy guy friend who is kind of her foil, in a way. I imagined from the beginning that he would be the sillier character while Theo was always the boy she had a crush on since he was older. So they all sort of operate in different ways and play a certain role in the story later on. They start out as rather likeable if a little evil Slytherins and branch out from there. 

As for Daphne, I didn't want her and Tor to be particularly close. They have really different personalities, and I just felt it was right for Daphne to be very restrained and cold and manipulative. She represents what Tor should be, but I also wanted them to have some tension and rivalries as well as some sisterly loyalty and love beneath it all. 

13. How did you come about the plot for The Girl from Slytherin?

Hmm, well for a long time I just loved Draco and wanted to write about him and a girl who loved him, so I had the idea to write about Astoria. But then I also had this idea for what happens in the Prologue, which didn't really work, so I decided to write about Tor pre-Draco and got a little carried away from there. The thing is, since then I've realized how many stories center around Draco (and Hermione, mostly) and gotten a little dis-enchanted with him, and also remembered what a loser he is in the books, so I'm not sure if I could write the story again if it would turn out the same way. I also had no idea that the bad-girl turned good/falling for a Muggleborn was a typical fan fiction plot - I thought I was so creative! :p When I was outlining, I pretty much just made a list of cool things to happen ("Dad visit" - "fight" - "prank on Griz") and waited for the story to get there. A lot of it has been quite spontaneous while writing. But I'm really excited for the series to GfS as it's going to be SO different from the first, and the plot is completely different from everything else I've written.

Thanks for the AMAZING questions, both of you! :D I had so much fun answering!

#22 nott theodore

nott theodore

nott a prefect anymore

• 646 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hi Jenna! I've got a few more questions for you!

1. What effects do you think that writing fanfiction has had on your writing?
2. Which of your shorter stories has been the one you've enjoyed the most?
3. Have any of your stories surprised you, in that they've changed as you were writing them?
4. In The Enchanted Ground, what was your favourite part about writing a character that didn't have a specific gender identity?
5. You seem to write a lot of historical fiction. What is your favourite part about writing fanfiction set against an historical backdrop?

That's all for now! :hug:

nano word count: 50,191/50,000

11t360m.png

Set by anyroad @ TDA

my stories [12+] my mta [12+]

#23 Laurenzo7321

Laurenzo7321

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Hi there! Just stopping by with some questions :)

1. You've written so many stories! Where do you get your inspiration from?
  2. You also seem to write so many different era's and pairings! Do you have a favourite?
  3. I see you have a Bellatrix story on your AP! How was it writing her? She's such an interesting character
  4. Which one of your characters do you think you're most like? Which one of your characters is your favourite?
  5. Which of your stories did you find hardest to write? Which one was easiest?

That's all for now! Thank you :)

Rules of the Game (M)

RulesOfTheGameSigYellow_zps782ac48f.png
Beautiful signature set created by yellow@TDA

| My Authors Page (M) | My MTA Page (12+) |

#24 love_is_magic_

love_is_magic_

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hi! *heaves huge pile of questions onto table and tries to decide on a few*

1. Wow, so you have a lot of stories! How do you stay motivated to write and how much, on average, do you write a week?

2. You also have left a highly admirable amount of reviews  :worshippy: what is your reviewing process? Do you write as you read, or write it all at the end?

3. Referring to question 2, what are your favourite stories to R&R? What draws you to a story and makes you decide to read it?

4. What makes you a Slytherin and how did you know you belonged in that house?

5. If you were in the Potterverse and you were in the same year as Harry, who would your best friends be?

I can't wait to read your responses! Sorry for adding to the mounding pile of questions you already have to answer  :confused:

Beautiful Signature by &thenboom @ tda                                                                                                                          

11lkcwi.png

Christy - Author's Page (12+) - My MTA (12+)

#25 AditiDraco95

AditiDraco95

Inquisitorial Squad

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

Hey! Here with some questions and love ;)

1. I just read Noble a while ago and I have to say it was nothing short of awesome. What would you say was the hardest part of writing it?

2. Holly and the Mistletoe was also a very sweet one-shot. How did you get the inspiration to write the house-elf pairing, especially a Dobby/Holly one?

3. Is there a "writing ritual" that you follow before you can write? For example, being in a certain room, listening to music, pre-planned notes, etc.?

4. Out of all the stories you've written, if you had to recommend one of them to someone, which would you recommend and why?

5. Would you say you write "for yourself" or "your readers/reviewers"? 

That's all I think. Thanks :)

A Proud Slytherin | My stories (12+ to M

DyPdhck.png

Sig Set by 365kate.

#26 Maelody

Maelody

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

Hey there! :D Thought I'd pop by with a few questions! :D

1: In case you haven't noticed, you've posted 22 stories on the archives. Do you have a favorite story? Which is it? Why?

2: I've read Enchanted Ground (in which I'm surprised by the amount of different updates you've made since then to other stories!) and I must say, it was truly beautiful! What did you like best about writing such a modern relationship while still trying to keep it quiet on why it was so very modern?

3: How do you come up with ideas? And how do you keep up with all your ideas for all of your constantly updated stories?

That's all for now! :D A few of the questions have more than one, so have fun with that, and I look forward to seeing your answers!

1/5 Round two Slytherin vs. Gryffindor!

~My Author's Page(M)/My MeetThe Author Thread(15+)/My Blog(15+) Sig by: Me!~

challenge.jpg

My challenge ~ The Awareness Challenge! (12+) ~ Write For A Cause!

#27 SamMalfoy93

SamMalfoy93

TheHeiroftheQueue

• Validator
  • 920 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

Hey, Jenna! I have questions for you! :D

1. You've written a lot of stories. What was your favorite to write and why?

2. On the flip side, what was your least favorite or hardest to write and why?

3. Do you prefer darker stories or lighter stories (to read and to read). Why?

4. What's your favorite era?

5. You say you love history. Me too. Is there a period in time you'd love to write about or you have written about? What do you like about it?

See you soon!

Sam TheHeirOfSlytherin (12+-M) S.D.W.W.S
Posted Image
Set by aigue-marine @ tda.

#28 HollyStone73

HollyStone73

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hello!! Question time!!

1. Your stories all have a ton of very intricate and well-thought out little details and things. Do you write these in as you go or do you find yourself having to come back and add details later?

2. What time of day do you find you are the most productive for writing? Does the mood of your story affect when you write?

3. Do you have any HP characters that you absolutely would never want to write?

4. How do you overcome writer's block?

5. While I like almost all of my stories I have one that is the least polished that I cringe at when people read & review them. Do you have any stories like that?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

#29 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 617 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

Wow, so many questions! :D This is so exciting, thank you all! 

nott theodore: 

1. What effects do you think that writing fanfiction has had on your writing?

I think I've improved a LOT, first of all. Writing is one of those things where the more I do, the more confident I feel and I think my stories have improved significantly. I've also developed an ability to just pump out words and more words, which I think is very useful! If I'm working on a 1500 word essay for example, I remind myself that's only a third of a chapter, and it feels a lot more feasible. 

2. Which of your shorter stories has been the one you've enjoyed the most?

How to choose?! Well, I really loved writing The Enchanted Ground, and keep wanting to return to it. In fact, I wrote a companion one-shot for it, so I must enjoy it! But I was also really happy with A Chronicle of Wasted Time, it was a lot of fun to imagine. 

3. Have any of your stories surprised you, in that they've changed as you were writing them?

The Wandering One has a little, partly because I didn't plan it as being longer than a one-shot. I wasn't planning on making romance a focus at all, and then things just sort of happened and now there are all these little details which I never planned. 

4. In The Enchanted Ground, what was your favourite part about writing a character that didn't have a specific gender identity?

I liked how by the end, it felt totally natural to write Thackeray without a gender. I think it helped the quality of my writing as well, as I had to find other ways of saying certain sentences. Also, I loved the message that gender doesn't matter, only love does, and it was really cool to see how people reacted to it. 

5. You seem to write a lot of historical fiction. What is your favourite part about writing fanfiction set against an historical backdrop?

Hehe yes! Hmm, I really like interpreting JKR's magical world and interpreting what it might have been like. I also really like history in general, and tying in little details and ideas that I never thought of before. Having another era to play in is a really fun way to challenge myself. 

Laurenzo7321: 

1. You've written so many stories! Where do you get your inspiration from?

Oh dear, everywhere really! Sometimes from challenge prompts, or from thinking about random minor characters, or sometimes a line from a poem or song will get into my head. One example is my story The Sea Serpent of Cromer, which was a hybrid inspiration coming from a mention on the HP lexicon of the sea serpent, and from wanting to write a story about Nicholas Flamel in Ireland. I combined the two plunnies to write the story. 

2. You also seem to write so many different era's and pairings! Do you have a favourite?

Ahh, this is quite hard to decide! I quite like writing historical eras, especially the 15th century in my story Play the Devil. It's a fascinating time but with enough mystery to make room for creativity.

3. I see you have a Bellatrix story on your AP! How was it writing her? She's such an interesting character

It was tricky! Honestly I was quite terrified to write her, but the hardest part was probably finding the balance between her sanity and her thirst for blood. I think of her as being very aristocratic and self-centered, and I really wanted to capture that. She's not just running around killing people for no reason, it makes sense to her and she enjoys it. I think I would have felt more comfortable writing her as a minor character, but I did enjoy her!

4. Which one of your characters do you think you're most like? Which one of your characters is your favourite?

I think I'm a lot like all of my main characters in different ways, and at this point, especially Rose from Play the Devil. I have her impulsiveness and we react in similar ways. Verity from Magpie is quite similar to me as well - she's a little quieter, and very curious and always trying to learn new things. As for my favourite... hmm, probably Rose. :p She's just so much fun and she comes so naturally. 

5. Which of your stories did you find hardest to write? Which one was easiest?

The hardest story would probably be Magpie, I think. I didn't plan it as well as I should have before writing, and the plot has changed a bit. There are so many characters and sub-plots, and I find the chapters end up so long with so much detail because it takes a while to get to the plot of the story. The easiest is probably The Girl from Slytherin, as I've written so much of it and it flows quite easily now. 

love_is_magic: 

1. Wow, so you have a lot of stories! How do you stay motivated to write and how much, on average, do you write a week?

Hehe, yes! Hmm, I usually try to write every day, at minimum a thousand words or more I would say when it all adds up. *pulls out calculator* Okay, so I wrote about 50k in February, so about 1,700 every day! Eek! I stay motivated by just being really into my stories and wanting to write them, and also by making lists. I'm trying to update all my stories once a month and meet each challenge deadline, so having those dates to finish the stories by helps a lot. 

2. You also have left a highly admirable amount of reviews   what is your reviewing process? Do you write as you read, or write it all at the end?

Thank you! It depends on the story and the type of review. I usually read the story first and then pick through it, sometimes making notes as I go about lines I liked and things to comment on and what not. With one that is requested or where the author has asked for feedback, I'll go through more thoroughly and usually read it one day and come back to it in a little bit. My reviewing depends a lot on how tired or energetic I am at the time as well, which is why the lengths of my reviews tend to vary quite a bit. 

3. Referring to question 2, what are your favourite stories to R&R? What draws you to a story and makes you decide to read it?

I like historical stories especially, and stories about mysteries and time travel and riddles. Ones that involve some guesswork are so fun to review because then I get to read the author's responses, and can even look back on my reviews later and wonder how I did with analyzing each chapter and guessing the mystery! I usually look for really well-written summaries when choosing stories, or look for ones that have been recommended. 

4. What makes you a Slytherin and how did you know you belonged in that house?

When I picked Slytherin, my main story was about a girl in Slytherin and I wanted to show some solidarity with her! Haha, but also I have some Slytherin traits - I'm ambitious and hardworking, and have pride and strive for greatness (I guess. Whatever greatness is :p). And Slytherin just felt right - I've never regretted it since!

5. If you were in the Potterverse and you were in the same year as Harry, who would your best friends be?

Ooh, well Terry Boot and I would probably be dating (he's a main character in one of my stories and he's a lot of fun so I think we'd get along!). Haha, and so then our best friends would be Anthony Goldstein and Michael Corner. I also have a soft spot for Susan Bones and the other Hufflepuffs so perhaps them as well. I feel like Penelope Clearwater would be a sort of older mentor, and Hermione and I would probably hang out in the class we shared where none of our friends were and have boy-talk, although we'd rarely hang out otherwise. Haha, this was such a fun question!

Aditi: 

1. I just read Noble a while ago and I have to say it was nothing short of awesome. What would you say was the hardest part of writing it?

Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it. I think that as I pretty much spent an hour and twenty minutes writing it, I was a little worried about whether I actually was happy with it or whether it was rubbish and I just hadn't had enough time to sit on it. Also the story turned out quite violent so I wasn't sure if that was too much or if it suited the story. 

2. Holly and the Mistletoe was also a very sweet one-shot. How did you get the inspiration to write the house-elf pairing, especially a Dobby/Holly one?

I was originally going to write about a lonely wizard who worked in the greenhouse, but I couldn't think of a way to tie it into canon. I'd only read a couple house elf stories before and wanted to try it - I quite like writing stories from non-human perspectives as well. Dobby was the natural house elf to tie into the prompt, and the themes of freedom and being trapped and enslaved fit well with his message. 

3. Is there a "writing ritual" that you follow before you can write? For example, being in a certain room, listening to music, pre-planned notes, etc.?

Hmm, sometimes! I'll often write out ideas and a plan in my notebook first, sometimes make some graphs and lists and things. I also really like writing in coffee shops so I'm a lot more productive there than at my house! For each chapter, I usually make a list of things I want to touch on and then refer back to that as I write each chapter, so making a list is really helpful.

4. Out of all the stories you've written, if you had to recommend one of them to someone, which would you recommend and why?

Hmm, probably Play the Devil, as it's the story I'm most proud of and I think it probably displays some of my best writing and what I really want to be writing. If I were a reader approaching my page, that’s the story I would choose to read.

5. Would you say you write "for yourself" or "your readers/reviewers"? 

For myself, I think. I do believe that if I didn't love to write, I just wouldn't bother, so it's really important for me to keep interested in each story. I think I used to long for more readers and reviewers a lot more, but now I'm a lot happier to just post the story and see what happens and to be happy I wrote it, instead of thinking about the readers and worrying if anybody likes. It's a funny transition but one I'm quite happy about. 

Maelody: 

1: In case you haven't noticed, you've posted 22 stories on the archives. Do you have a favorite story? Which is it? Why?

Hehe, and it’s soon to be 24! :D I love most of them equally, and for different reasons, but I'd have to say maybe Play the Devil, because I think it's my most creative and well-written story relative to my other ones, and then The Girl from Slytherin, because writing it flows so naturally and I worry a lot less about the quality of the writing there - I just have fun with it. 

2: I've read Enchanted Ground (in which I'm surprised by the amount of different updates you've made since then to other stories!) and I must say, it was truly beautiful! What did you like best about writing such a modern relationship while still trying to keep it quiet on why it was so very modern?

Aw, thank you! It was a really interesting challenge to keep Thackeray gender neutral, but I wanted to focus less on the gender and more on their relationship. It was a lot of fun especially coming up with all the schemes they had for the environmental projects, so writing the story in general was really exciting.

3: How do you come up with ideas? And how do you keep up with all your ideas for all of your constantly updated stories?

I keep lists! Sometimes ideas come from experiences or people I know, or I'll see a cool name or poem and want to write about it. I have so many word documents with plans for stories as well, but just no time to work on them! 

SamMalfoy: 

1. You've written a lot of stories. What was your favorite to write and why?

I really loved writing Play the Devil, because it came together so nicely over NaNo and despite having a really complicated plot, it sort of wrote itself. But since NaNo ended I’ve been focusing on my other stories and kind of neglecting it. In the past few months I especially loved writing ‘A Chronicle of Wasted Time’ because it was such a nice break and was quite fun.

2. On the flip side, what was your least favorite or hardest to write and why?

Hmm, well off the top of my head I find working on Magpie to be tricky sometimes. It’s such a complicated plot and tends to ramble and go off on tangents, and the mystery is a little confusing since I’ve changed it around quite a bit.

3. Do you prefer darker stories or lighter stories (to read and to read). Why?

It really depends on my mood. I think as a writer I’m better at darker stories than lighter ones, but recently I tried my hand at writing a more fluffy story and it was actually quite fun. Reading is completely mood-based, sometimes all I want to read is a silly, fluffy story if I’m having a rough day.

4. What's your favorite era?

I quite like Next Generation because there’s a lot of freedom and so many directions to take the story and the characters. I especially appreciate when Next Gen stories tie in really smoothly with canon and do justice to the canon characters.

5. You say you love history. Me too. Is there a period in time you'd love to write about or you have written about? What do you like about it?

Ah, well my story Play the Devil takes place partly in the fifteenth century during the War of the Roses, and I really love writing that period. It’s so dark and dangerous, but there are so many fun details and scenes to write – like jousting, or feasts, or even just the process of getting dressed in a fancy gown or the awkwardness of having to use a chamber pot. And then I really like tying in the wizarding world with that era as well.

HollyStone73: 

1. Your stories all have a ton of very intricate and well-thought out little details and things. Do you write these in as you go or do you find yourself having to come back and add details later?

Thank you! It's a bit of both. Usually I come up with the "twists" and the little secrets which will reveal themselves in the stories, but sometimes things will come to me during the writing process. Sometimes I'll have a list of stories I want to tie in, and other times random ideas will just fit in perfectly - for example, with my story Shadow there's a big twist at the end which is, in some ways, the most important part of the story, but I hadn't decided on that twist until I'd already written the first draft. 

2. What time of day do you find you are the most productive for writing? Does the mood of your story affect when you write?

Interesting question! I tend to do more writing in the evenings, I think because that's my usual homework time and I'd rather write than study. :p But I'll often squeeze in some writing between classes during the day, or more accurately during class because I seem to get a lot of ideas then. I'm not very good at writing in the mornings for some reason. Funny thing about the second part of the question - I tend to scare myself when writing really creepy, dark stories in the night, so I try to avoid those stories in the evenings! 

3. Do you have any HP characters that you absolutely would never want to write?

I'm pretty terrified of Snape, just because I would want to do his biting sarcasm justice and it would be very tricky. He's so distinctive that he intimidates me. Also the Golden Trio - I think they're just impossible for anybody to write other than JKR because they're such complex characters. With minor characters there's more room for freedom but I'd be so worried about every action and word with the Trio that the story would definitely flop if I had them as a major character. 

4. How do you overcome writer's block?

I try to challenge myself and set deadlines by which time I want to have the story written, and that's been working quite well. I also really like doing rat races where I have no choice but to write really and it usually yields decent results. If I have writer's block for a new story, I might go work on one I'm more familiar with for a while and then sit down to write the new one, just to get words on paper and in the mood for writing. 

5. While I like almost all of my stories I have one that is the least polished that I cringe at when people read & review them. Do you have any stories like that?

Haha, well all of my older stuff basically! The earliest 10 or so chapters of my first novel, The Girl from Slytherin, are pretty brutal so I do cringe a little bit when people choose that story out of all the other more-decent ones on my page to read. I think the story's later chapters are okay, it's just the early ones which were me trying out the story and seeing how it felt to be writing again. I thought about editing them, but other than adding a couple of things and fixing typos I quite like keeping the bad chapters up as testament to how much I've improved in a year - it makes me happy, because if improved this much in one year, I'll be so much happier and a smoother writer in another year! (well, hopefully!) So I think in a way everybody needs those less-polished stories.

Thank you for all the wonderful questions, everybody! :D I'm sorry for taking so long to respond! 

#30 TidalDragon

TidalDragon

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:50 AM

Howdy! Dropping by with just a few serious questions (and some oddball extras just for fun)!

1. If you had to compare yourself to a Quidditch ball, which would you be and why?

2. The Wandering One (M) is one of my five favorite stories on the archives. It seems like it would be immensely challenging to write. Do you have a method that helps you manage balancing all the historical and realistic elements of the various locales with the magical elements and character development?

3. Same story - Victoire's characterization is very unique and absolutely excellent. What parts (if any) of yourself you see in her and what parts (if not all) you crafted solely using your creative abilities?

4. You have participated in an immense number of challenges. What do you like so much about them? Which was your favorite?

5. If you could ask one question of one canon character, who would it be and what would you ask them?

Can't wait to read your responses!  :)

AND STILL I DRIFT (12+) - A NANO 2014 PROJECT

NANOWRIMOadetuikjhgfdsawertyiuokjhgfdsrt NANOWRIMOazasaawert6uijhgfdswe4rt6yuikjh NANOWRIMOweptyujgfdwrtyuilkjhgfdswertyui

EVOLUTION (M)  |  STARVING ARTISTS (12+)  |  APOGEE (M)
ICONS BY TOREADABOOK @ LIVEJOURNAL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users