• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

Hello! I'm Lululuna, but people in real life call me Jenna. I've been on HPFF since a spontaneous day this past January when I came up with an idea for a prologue, and I've been writing for the site ever since. A proud, poutine-loving Canadian, I'm currently travelling through Europe before returning to the land of the moose in mid-August, after which I plan on picking up the slack on my writing and reviewing. I love writing, literature, politics, dogs and all other animals, travelling, history, airports, fairy tales, making new friends, notebooks, tattoos, yoga, pubs, Irish accents, villains, hiking, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream,' cloud formations, pots of tea and Harry Potter, in no particular order.

Feel free to ask me any questions! :)

Author Page [M]|| beautiful set by catharsis at TDA||Link in image rated M.

sevenfoldsig_zps6fec6171.png

September Writing Goals: The Devil's Road: 3,982/20,000. Magpie: 0/15,000.

Sonnets to the Dark Lady: 2,094/12,000. The Wandering One: 2,460/5,500.   

#2 WeasleyTwins

WeasleyTwins

Sixth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:56 AM

Hello darling!  I want to be the first to ask you questions on your new MTA (congratulations, by the way - I love MTAs)!

1. Right now, what is your favorite pairing?  Why?

2. What do you think is your biggest strength as a writer?

3. What do you think is your biggest weakness as an author and how do try to improve?

4. What is your favorite part of HPFF?

5. Do you have a background in writing?  If so, what?  If not, what are your aspirations as a writer?

6. What is your favorite popular fiction novel?  Your favorite classic/piece of "Literature"?

7. And lastly, what do you think makes you a Slytherin?

That's all for now, Jenna!  I can't wait to read your responses! :hug: :wub:

The Seams [M]

2013 Dobby Awards Winner for Best Minor Character

2ebbytt.png

Author's Page [M]                   Meet the Author [12+]

Gorgeous set by alchemyfreak123 @ TDA

#3 patronus_charm

patronus_charm

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 663 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

I decided to come and visit your MTA!

1. If you don't mind telling me, how long are you planning on Magpie being?

2. You have such a variety of stories on your page, which genre/era of stories is your favourite?

3. Your stories always have such a high level of detail, do you research it all? If so, how long do you spend doing it?

4. Is it tricky having to incorporate everything that happens at Hogwarts in The Girl from Slytherin?

Ok I'm done for now! :D

oHj3rse.gif
author page [12+]| mta [12+] | gallery [15+]

currently writing: essays for school :(

#4 nott theodore

nott theodore

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hi Jenna!  I've been hoping you'd get one of these for a while :happy:

1. Now that you're writing two Hogwarts era novels, both narrated by female characters, do you find it hard to keep their voices separate?

2. Is there a pairing/era/genre that you love reading but would never write about?

3. Do you find it difficult to keep up writing two novels at the same time?

4. Which of the stories you've written so far is your favourite?

5. You've written so many different genres and characters - is there one that you find easier than the others?

6. Is there a story that you've written/are writing that you feel deserves more recognition that it receives?

That's all for now - I look forward to your answers! :hug:

11t360m.png

Set by anyroad @ TDA

my stories [12+] my mta [12+]

#5 marauderfan

marauderfan

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Hello! Exciting to see you've got a MTA page now! So I have some questions :)

1. Where do you get your inspiration for your stories?

2. Who is your favourite character to write?

3. What do you think is the best fanfic you've read on HPFF?
4. What is your favorite kind of tea?

Ok and I think that's it :)

Jayne2_zps9bcf5f52.png

my stories [12+] | MTA [12+]

coming soon: chapter 4 of Icarus

#6 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

Ah, you guys are so wonderful for asking me questions! I was way too excited to answer these, haha!

WeasleyTwins - Hello darling!

1. Right now, what is your favorite pairing? Why?

I have a weakness for Fred II/OC! I love unusual and underrated pairings, though they quickly become my head canon, and a few authors have done such an amazing job with characterizing Fred, like in "Knock on Wood" by Moonyxluna and "Hormones" by Mistress. Fred in my mind just seems so sincere and silly and unique.

2. What do you think is your biggest strength as a writer?

Hmm, that's tough! I suppose I'm good at writing very quickly and expressing my thoughts into words. Often I'll get an idea and will write a sentence and a whole story will emerge without even thinking or over-planning it. I also think I write best in first person, though I've been trying to branch out and experiment with third person as well!

3. What do you think is your biggest weakness as an author and how do try to improve?

I have always struggled with dialogue and writing it convincingly. Also I have a lot of trouble with structuring stories, if that makes sense. I always seem to get lost somewhere around the third quarter of the story. However, I think writing HPFF has helped me improve a little, especially with writing Hogwarts era since the skeleton narrative is already laid out by the books. A funny thing about writing HPFF in my opinion is how each chapter is "published" as it is written, whereas if an author was writing an original fiction usually they'd go back to look at and edit the book as a whole, rather than chapter by chapter. In response to this style I've also been trying to do more outlining, though my stories always seem to take on a life of their own!

4. What is your favorite part of HPFF?

I love the community, and having access to both such wonderful writers and thoughtful reviewers. I'm pretty shy and self-conscious about my writing so getting positive feedback is so meaningful. Also, I love giving feedback on others' work, so having the chance to be constructive and helpful is so rewarding as well.

5. Do you have a background in writing? If so, what? If not, what are your aspirations as a writer?

Sort of- in high school, I attended a special arts high school for literary arts: it was quite intense, I auditioned with a portfolio of (now cringe-worthy) work in the eighth grade and was with the same group of talented writers for all four years. We did a lot of writing and peer-editing every day, and it definitely shaped me as a writer and reinforced the idea that this was all I wanted to do. Now, in university, I do more academic writing and journalism, which is very different but which I also really enjoy. Right now, I see myself working as a journalist someday, perhaps in politics or foreign correspondence, and hopefully finding the time and inspiration to write at least one novel. But I would also love to write a non-fiction novel as well... ah, I just want to do it all!

6. What is your favorite popular fiction novel? Your favorite classic/piece of "Literature"?

This is so tough, how to choose?! Though I've read a lot of amazing books recently and many of them have quickly become favourites (the books 'The Remains of the Day' and 'The Swimming-Pool Library' have definitely been recent big influences for me), I think I've always been very inspired by the Tortall-based series by the amazing Tamora Pierce. I first read her series 'Protector of the Small' when I was quite young - and then every other book she's written - and she really represents how I'd like to be as a writer in terms of characters, style and the art of creating a world. I love going back to my family home since I always know I can re-read her books over and over again and return to that feeling of excitement and creativity.

In terms of the classics... since childhood I've had an infatuation with Shakespeare's 'Midsummer Night's Dream.' I even made a movie of it at the age of eight with my plastic toy horses in which each horse had to audition and then play one of the parts... haha. I've memorized large chunks of it and studied it in school and the last time I was in London saw it performed at the Globe Theatre which was purely magical.

7. And lastly, what do you think makes you a Slytherin?

I love this question! I'd have to say I chose Slytherin because of my main fan fiction character, Tor, being a Slytherin, and wanting to do her justice. I think I also like the idea of being part of the underdogs, though that in itself might not be very Slytherin-esque! Also, I am quite ambitious, and definitely have some sneaky moments and sly characteristics. But to be fair, I could probably fit into the other houses as well. I'm a bookworm and often quite academic-oriented like a Ravenclaw, compassionate and prone to empathizing like a Hufflepuff, and have a brave and reckless streak like a Gryffindor might. What is so wonderful about all the houses is how diverse they are, and how each member is different and embodies the house in a different way. But I'm definitely very pleased to be a snake!

Thank you for all the amazing questions lovely!

patronus_charm: Hi Kiana!

1. If you don't mind telling me, how long are you planning on Magpie being?

That's an excellent question! I have a very rough outline of the story, but I plan on it spanning over a year of Verity's life. It's also very detailed and each chapter is turning out rather long, with lots of little sub-plots and stories along the way. So, judging by the way 'The Girl from Slytherin' is turning out, I'm guessing at least 30 chapters for 'Magpie.' And perhaps even a sequel, but it's too soon to start thinking about these things... well, maybe...

2. You have such a variety of stories on your page, which genre/era of stories is your favourite?

When it comes to novels, I love writing angsty stories which center around romance, horror and mystery. Also, Hogwarts era is the main one which appeals to me for these longer works, maybe because the plot is already sketched out in the HP books and there's something wonderfully challenging about adding new angles to the original story. However, I've also discovered an unexpected love for writing one-shots and short stories centering around minor characters, like in 'Resistance,' so it really depends what I find inspiration for. And I do want to write a fluffly Next-Gen someday!

3. Your stories always have such a high level of detail, do you research it all? If so, how long do you spend doing it?

Thank you! A lot of my writing comes from my own observations and experiences, and is based on historical events or legends. I should probably do more research than I do: usually I do a quick Internet search to check facts and then write whatever feels right for the story. I actually find researching the HP verse - character connections, potions etc. - to be the hardest, and tend to skimp on the researching when I get confused or frustrated. Being in journalism school has taught me to do fast and accurate researching, but I still always seem to do the minimum and concentrate on the fun part of writing the story.

4. Is it tricky having to incorporate everything that happens at Hogwarts in The Girl from Slytherin?

It is! I think it would be a little easier if I had access to the actual books, but since I've been away from home for months I've been relying on the Internet and the movies to inspire the events of Tor's Hogwarts. Life at Hogwarts is so rich and complex, and it's difficult to incorporate the entirety of the castle and all the little quirks and events. Something which helps me tie the story to canon is the inclusion of canon characters who make little cameos, like Ginny and even Hermione and Terry's friends. It's tricky, but I do love it!

Thank you for the lovely questions darling! They were so fun to answer!

nott theodore- Hi Sian! I don't know why it took me so long to get one, but I was so excited to see your questions!

1. Now that you're writing two Hogwarts era novels, both narrated by female characters, do you find it hard to keep their voices separate?

Surprisingly, not yet! I find that both Tor and Verity are quite similar to myself, and they react and address situations the way I probably would. But despite this, they are rather different: Tor is a lot younger and more immature than Verity, and she is constantly in conflict about what to believe and what side to take. Tor takes after that side of me which always wants things to be precise and decided, and being in the middle isn't acceptable for her. Meanwhile, Verity is less idealistic and a lot more cynical than Tor, though she's also quieter and observes more about the world around her. She's less self-centered, and more mature because of her age and the grief that she's lived through. When I need a break from one of them it's a relief to have the other to change to, and I think because of this I find it easy to keep them separate!

2. Is there a pairing/era/genre that you love reading but would never write about?

To be honest, my favourite stories to read on this site are well-written, fluffy Next Generations, especially about obscure members of the Weasley family or even a solid James/OC. I enjoy the unexpected Rose/Scorpius as well, if the story looks at the relationship in an original way, but I don't think I'd ever be able to write one. I would love to write a Next Generation fic someday, maybe focusing around Fred II or Louis or Lucy, but only if I felt the story would do the Next Generation era justice, so that will probably be far in the future. For now, I'm more comfortable sticking with my angsty Hogwarts-era girls!

3. Do you find it difficult to keep up writing two novels at the same time?

Not yet, especially because the stories are so different and provide a nice break if I've spent too much time writing one. If I was writing two novels which were both set at Hogwarts at the same time, that would probably be much more difficult. Also, TGFS and Magpie are at such different stages: TGFS is over half-written, the plot and ending is decided on, and the style is much more minimal and simpler than Magpie. Verity's story is just beginning, and is a lot more complex, and so I take much more time writing and editing those chapters than with TGFS. Starting out two or more novels at the same time would be quite difficult to balance, I think, but since they are different enough it's not so bad.

4. Which of the stories you've written so far is your favourite?

Hmm, I have love/hate relationships with each of the stories on my author page! If I had to choose, I'd say maybe my one-shot 'Ice to Ashes,' mainly because it pretty much just wrote itself. I didn't even realize who the narrator was until I was a few sentences in, and I barely edited it. Of all my stories it really came from pure inspiration, which is such a cool sensation to write! I could never choose a favourite between my two WIPs, just because I'm so invested in them, but I definitely love them both as well.

5. You've written so many different genres and characters - is there one that you find easier than the others?

Definitely Hogwarts-era, since the plot and characters are already roughly there. Also, I love writing minor characters (as I'm sure you've noticed!). The presence of the minor character is what inspires the inspiration for the whole story: Tor was always going to be Astoria, not just any Slytherin girl; Verity was always going to be the Verity who makes a brief appearance in WWW, not just any girl who works in Borgin and Burke's; the prisoner in the fourth chapter of 'Resistance' was never going to be any man but Stan Shunpike. Creating an entirely original OC would be difficult for me, and so it's writing these minor characters into original depth which I really love and find comes easily.

6. Is there a story that you've written/are writing that you feel deserves more recognition that it receives?

Ah, this is tricky! I feel so honoured and blessed for every reader and positive response on any of my stories, though I feel like the first few chapters of TGFS are much weaker than the later chapters and might turn readers away, when I wish they'd give it more of a chance! Also, I've worked really hard on 'Magpie' and would of course love for it to get more recognition, but I think that will come as I add more chapters.

Thank you for the great, thought-provoking questions! I hope you enjoy the responses!

marauderfan - Hello there! Ah, I know, it was really about time I got one, and it's so exciting to see all these questions!

1. Where do you get your inspiration for your stories?

Often, the original idea is triggered by a fleeting moment or thought which I know I have to write about. For example, I thought about Astoria as a character and the idea for the prologue of TGFS immediately followed, fully formed into my mind. And then the rest of the story took off quickly from there. The idea for the George/Verity pairing in 'Magpie' actually came from a dream which I can't even remember. Verity was going to be a barmaid at The Leaky Cauldron until I gave her a last name: I chose Burke since it's the last name of a friend of mine, and remembered about Borgin and Burke's, and realized how interesting it would be to write Verity as a girl who worked there, which is a major theme of the story. I'm also inspired by events and people I meet: for instance, in my one-shot (for now...) 'The Wandering One' Victoire is pretty much my personality put onto paper, Bill as the concerned father is entirely based on my dad's annoying but endearing worrying when I travel, Condescending Alexander is a medley of irritating people I've met while abroad, Teddy being a dramatic boyfriend was inspired by an ex-boyfriend and the description of the Giant's Causeway is entirely written from my memory of it. So, to answer your question I guess I get inspiration from anything and everything!

2. Who is your favourite character to write?

I love Tor, she flows very naturally and her antics and thought processes make me laugh. She's a lot easier to write than my other MC because I know her so well, and truly enjoy it. I also love writing Pyxis Nott, he makes me laugh and he's such a typical boy, but with a serious streak. Also, when writing 'The Wandering One' I really enjoyed Victoire, so there may be more of her someday in the future!

3. What do you think is the best fanfic you've read on HPFF?

How to choose?! The first story I read on here was 'Delicate,' and I loved it as an introduction to fan fiction. It really deserves all the recognition it receives: the story is so funny and entertaining, and the characters and real life situations are so intricate and developed. The portrayals of the canon characters as adults and the Next-Gen kids have really become my head-canon. Another amazing story is 'Innocent' by MarauderLover7: it's so creative and well-written and works incredibly well as a AU fan fiction, and I'm very impressed by how perfectly canon all of the characters are. I find that a lot of stories use fan fiction as an outlet for a story that could be OF, but this story really belongs as a work of fan fiction and honestly adds to the HP books in my mind.

4. What is your favorite kind of tea?

Amazing question! I love Yorkshire Gold, which I've been drinking obsessively since moving to England. And English Breakfast Tea has been a salvation when traveling in places like Italy where anything else costs an arm: it's a familiar taste of home whether it comes in a teapot or a McDonalds cup! But I've recently experimented with herbal teas, like a strange berry-flavoured one I had at an afternoon tea event which grew on me right away, so perhaps I'll be venturing further into the herbal tea realm.

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave these questions for me, I loved answering them! Everyone, I'm so sorry for taking ages to respond, but please know your comments really gave me the feels and were so much fun to reply to!

#7 nott theodore

nott theodore

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

Jenna! :hug:  Now I'm finally up to date with your main WIPs, I'm back with some more questions for you!

1. Was it difficult to get inside Terry's head to write the most recent chapter of GfS?

2. What first fave you the idea to write from the perspective of someone who has grown up on the "bad" side?

3. Which of your one-shots did you enjoy writing the most?

4. Which of your stories are you proudest of?

5. I know you're studying politics as part of your course - do you think it's important to include those sorts of themes in your stories?

6. What's the best thing about getting to live and study in England for a year?

7. Are there any canon characters that you find really difficult to write?

Okay, I'm finished for now! :)

11t360m.png

Set by anyroad @ TDA

#8 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

Sian!!! How did I manage to forget about the awesome questions you left me?!! 

1. Was it difficult to get inside Terry's head to write the most recent chapter of GfS?

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Even though Terry is a canon character, I think of the Terry in GfS as my creation, so I know him quite well and wanted to help readers to get to know him a bit better. He also has some aspects of my own personality so writing him flowed pretty naturally. I was concerned about capturing a boy's voice and making it believable, but the experience was actually such a fun challenge, and I'd love to try more male characters in the future. 

2. What first fave you the idea to write from the perspective of someone who has grown up on the "bad" side?

When creating GfS, I decided first that I wanted to write about Astoria, but she didn't necessarily have to have grown up as the daughter of the Death Eater. The next step was when the scene from the prologue jumped into my head, and along with it many of the conflicts which develop in GfS: having to choose between family values and personal morals, leading a double-life, and the pain of Tor seeing someone she loves being tortured with nothing she can do to stop it. This scene showed me I wanted to write about someone who has to change everything about herself through the course of the story, and the difficulties of that. But in general, I think writing someone who sort of walks the line between "good" and "evil" is so interesting and dynamic, and it's been amazing so far. I love Tor, but I can;t always like her!  

3. Which of your one-shots did you enjoy writing the most?

Ah, how to choose! Each one is special for a different reason. 'Derwent Demented' because it was so silly, and because I wrote it scribbled into my notebook when I was literally soaked to the knee in when visiting rainy York- re-reading it makes me relive that experience. 'Grizzled' because writing about dementia and ageing is a real release for me, since I've witnessed so much struggle and pain in my own family, and writing about it makes it a little clearer for me, and because that story was for the first challenge I entered. 'Ice to Ashes' because it literally wrote itself and even I had no idea what was going on, and I think that process of pure inspiration and creativity taking over is a really special moment which I don't get to experience every day.

4. Which of your stories are you proudest of?

I think my new story 'The Fall of the Town.' I feel like it's pretty unique, and there's a lot of clever little references and ideas in there which I secretly pat myself on the back for! :p It's also closer to the kind of OF I'd like to write someday, and I think it really demonstrates what I truly love and appreciate as a writer, and I feel like I've grown already even though there have only been three chapters so far. 

5. I know you're studying politics as part of your course - do you think it's important to include those sorts of themes in your stories?

Definitely! Reading and writing hpff has helped me examine the political allusions and rhetorics in the HP books, and it creates an element of truth and depth in my opinion. My short story collection 'Resistance' in particular and GfS and "Magpie' to an extent have political undertones and references as well, especially in the latter since Verity is outside of the sheltered world of Hogwarts and beginning to question the corruption of the Ministry. I'm currently taking a course where we study Foucault, and the genealogy of concepts like biopolitics and the foundations of racism, which I plan on tying subtly into these stories as well. I think that adding historical-political context and relevance to a story takes it to the next level.

6. What's the best thing about getting to live and study in England for a year?

England is perfection to me. There's something about the history and the landscape and the people that fits perfectly into my life. I loved connecting to and living within another national history, although of course English history is important to us Canadians as well! I have a slight obsession with historical literature and English novels, and being able to actually see these places in person made it more real to me. For example, I got to see Chatsworth, which was Pemberly in the Kiera Knightley film of P&P, and have a picture standing on the rocky cliff where she stands with her skirts blowing in the wind. Visiting Hampton Court was so incredible, I had to keep pinching myself that this was actually one of the palaces where Henry VIII would have spent time. Battlefields, castles, historic homes where poets once wrote... okay, I'm getting nostalgic just reminiscing. I've already started planning and budgeting to get back as soon as possible! :)

7. Are there any canon characters that you find really difficult to write?

Snape. I think I might be able to tackle him in first person, but writing him through Tor's eyes is really difficult for me. Oh, and the twins, just because their brand of silliness is so unique and specific. There are a few canon characters who I prefer to steer clear of- like Lucius (who knows what goes on in that cold blond head of his?) and the Marauders, since I don't think I could do them justice without butchering them. I also think Harry Ron and Hermione are hard for any author: since JKR developed them so much, any story about them that doesn't follow JKR's original style and voice seems to fall flat to me, so I'd be terrified to take them on as principal characters. 

Thank you for these lovely questions, my dear! <3 

#9 MissesWeasley123

MissesWeasley123

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

I figured it was time for me to stop by over here! :D

1. What was your initial reaction to reading my review when I said that Pyxis was a girl and had feelings for Draco? No seriously, I wanna know :p

2. Who are your favourite authors on HPFF?

3. Favourite real life authors?

4. As you travel, are all the different accents rubbing off on you? ;)

5. Your favourite Canadian stereotype?

6. What perspective do you enjoy writing most in?

7. Do you ship any non canon pairings?

That's it for now Jenna, have fun answering!

12620xh.png

thefifthmonth @ tda & bloodstream7 @lj 

this stuff i've written. [15+] whoa, questions. [12+] erm, a gallery [15+]

#10 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

Hi Nadia! :D Gah, I completely forgot about your lovely post, I am so sorry! 

1. What was your initial reaction to reading my review when I said that Pyxis was a girl and had feelings for Draco? No seriously, I wanna know  :p

Haha honestly at first I was just confused! I figured you must have mis-read it, and then I went and checked the chapter to make sure that Pyxis is, in fact, identified as being a boy! Darn those androgynous pureblood names. :p Although Pyxis harbouring a secret crush on Draco (whether male or female) would be a pretty funny plot twist considering how Pyxis generally resents and dislikes him, hehe.

2. Who are your favourite authors on HPFF?

Ah, so many! If I had to pick a select few, MarauderLover7 (the author of Innocent) is incredible, and I highly recommend any canon-lovers to check it out. I sometimes think she must be JKR in disguise. I'm just discovering Violet Gryffindor's work and it's really stunning writing. Mistress is another brilliant author, and my_voice_rising, Toujours Padfoot, WeasleyTwins and shez are a few others who come to mind. But there are so many others too!

3. Favourite real life authors?

JKR of course. Phillipa Gregory: I've learned so much about history and writing from her books. Jodi Picoult is a genius. For contemporary fantasy writers, I quite like Cassandra Clare and Rick Riordan (guilty pleasure). Then of course there are the writers of my childhood, CS Lewis and Frances Hodgson Burnett and Noel Streatfeild. I'm recently re-discovering 19th century literature, and Charlotte Bronte and Charles Dickens and Sir Walter Scott and Jane Austen all have a place in my heart. 

4. As you travel, are all the different accents rubbing off on you?  ;)

A little! I've lived in England twice in my life, and both times I brought some English slang back to Canada. I'd ask people if they were "alright" as a greeting, and I'm always saying "cheers" or using words like "bin" instead of garbage can. Also, while Canuck/American speech goes downward at the end of a sentence, the Brits' speech seems to go up in intonation at the end of the sentence, and sometimes I've found myself talking with that inflection as well. I'd also like to think my French improved a little while in France/Belgium, though that might be wishful thinking!

5. Your favourite Canadian stereotype?

In practical terms, the stereotype that Canadians are "nice" has been very useful to me. It's strange, and makes me feel a little sorry for my American friends, but as soon as I identified myself as Canadian while traveling people would perk up and tell me about their relatives in Vancouver or somewhere really specific and be very welcoming. I had a Canadian flag sewn onto my day bag and this was a great conversation starter and I met so many people by their noticing the flag and getting all excited about Canada.

In terms of amusement, I think the moose and polar bear stereotypes are fantastic. I've (unfortunately) never seen either in the wild, being a city-slicker, but my dad tells this great story about how he was out for drinks with a Southern US military chief for work and warned the guy to not, under any circumstances, get out of the car on the way back to his hotel, because it was the polar bears' hunting season and they were extra vicious or some nonsense like that, and Dad claims the guy believed him. I really need to try that trick on some poor foreigner someday!

6. What perspective do you enjoy writing most in?

First person, definitely. It's my comfort zone, and I find it quite difficult to give a character real depth without it. Writing in first flows very naturally for me, while I find third to be awkward and stilted. That being said, I've been trying to experiment and challenge myself by writing in third, and I definitely think I've improved a little. Third person brings a detachment and better ability to critique the characters and show more of the bigger picture than first, which is liberating in a way.

7. Do you ship any non canon pairings?

Hmm, well my main WIPs are Astoria/Terry (as you know) and George/Verity, both of which are non-canon, but also could fit into canon. However, for the most part I believe in people getting together with who they're meant to end up with in canon. I like weird and unusual pairings, like Rose/Krum in 'Over the Edge' by Arithmancy_Wiz which is pure unexpected deliciousness. I'm just waiting for the day someone comes up with Draco/Rose story, and life will be complete.

For the most part, however, I prefer that stories stick to canon. Ron or Hermione casually breaking up in stories makes me sad, because I think those two are made for each other and only like them paired with someone else if it's written very, very carefully and in a way that makes sense with their characters in canon. I've tried to get into Dramione, I really have, but somehow it just hasn't clicked yet. So I guess the long-short of it answer to your question is definitely, as long as they're written in a believable and canon-consistent way.

Thank you so much for these awesome questions! I had a blast answering them. <3 

#11 nott theodore

nott theodore

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hi Jenna!  You're doing great so far with NaNo, and I'm here with some more encouragement!

1. What's your favourite thing about writing The Fall of the Town?

2. What gave you the inspiration for it?

3. How much have your recent travels given you inspiration for stories in general?

4. What do you think is the most important thing about history and learning history?

Happy writing! :hug:

11t360m.png

Set by anyroad @ TDA

#12 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for these awesome questions Sian! You're the best! :D 

1. What's your favourite thing about writing The Fall of the Town?

Hmm, so many things! I love it because it's quite different from my other stories and really gives me the chance to experiment with my writing style. It's really the only story I've written in a more detached third person form where it jumps around between different people, and I really like that as it gives me the chance to get out of the characters' heads for a while. :p I love letting my descriptive muse run wild as well. Also, adding historical detail is a real joy in that story, and I think I wouldn't have had the confidence to write 'Play the Devil' without practising writing in history with FotT. 

2. What gave you the inspiration for it?

I was given the prompt of writing the story of the Pied Piper for the Fairly Magical Fables challenge. It took me a bit of brainstorming to decide that I would fit the story into the HP-verse through the Founders, and by putting Hamlin in Scotland. I did some research on the story, and created characters like Blind Johnny and the crippled son of the mayor as inspired from tellings of the original story. I liked the idea of how what exactly happened in Hamlin was a mystery of historical records, and how nobody would have really know what happened, which inspired the idea of Hamlin's fate being a tragic and forgotten mystery in HP world.

3. How much have your recent travels given you inspiration for stories in general?

So, so much! I think that if I hadn't travelled this year, my stories would be very different. For example, my short story collection 'The Wandering One' is largely based on experiences I had: in the Paris chapter, Victoire has her drink stolen by a passing local, is nearly pickpocketed on the metro by two little boys, and has a night picnic under the Eiffel tower, all of which are exactly how they happened to me in Paris. 'Magpie' is strongly situated in London and a lot of my love for the city keeps coming through. Also, 'Play the Devil' is set in both modern and medieval cities like London and York and certain English shires which I've visited in the past. I've learned how much I love situating a story in a particular setting, and how much more rich and complex the story feels to me if I can really envision that landscape while writing. :)

4. What do you think is the most important thing about history and learning history?

Hmm, well I have a large personal obsession and love for history, and enjoy it both creatively and academically. There's something magical about traveling to a place that is historically relevant and learning and imagining the stories of the people who once dwelled there. In a more general sense, I think it's really important for everyone to have some understanding of world history and why society and the world is the way it is now. When I was traveling this summer with some of my high school friends I was shocked to find out that two of them had no idea about the history of the twentieth century. I asked them when WWII was and they had no idea and guessed... the 80s. And then I asked them if they knew when the Cold War was and they guessed... in the 1800s. I think that's a classic example of intelligent, thoughtful people just not caring to know about the past, and it makes me sad, because I don't think it's possible to properly live in society without having some understanding of struggles and formative events of history. 

Thanks for these lovely, encouraging questions! :D They were so fun to answer!

#13 quixotic

quixotic

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

Mind if I ask you a couple questions?Sorry that mine are pretty random :)

1. What's the inspiration behind your username?

2. What's your favourite HP book and why?

3. If you arrived in Diagon Alley, which shop would you enter first?

4. Do you have any pets?

5. What's your favourite day of the week?

wrax50.gif

patronus_charm is amazing! Ravenclaw for the win!

:Ravenclaw:

#14 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

Yay, more questions! I'm just being spoiled this weekend. :D

1. What's the inspiration behind your username?

Haha, okay well this is a bit of a strange story. Basically in Canada we have a yoga clothing store called 'Lulu Lemon' which is really popular and sells the most comfortable and awesome yoga clothes ever. When I was living in England, my Canadian friend and I were lamenting how there were none of that store in the UK and nobody knew what they were missing out on (I got a few funny comments on my apparel some days, haha). So we were talking about this right before I was trying to think of a username and I decided to use it, and then tied in the 'luna' part for at least some relevance to Harry Potter. Plus I wanted a username that sounded like an actual name and was one word, so it just fit perfectly! :D Such a great question!

2. What's your favourite HP book and why?

This is so tough. For years my favourite was Prisoner of Azkaban- I was always mildly afraid of how creepy Chamber of Secrets and Goblet of Fire were and I think PoA is kind of the transition point from the more goofy and light-hearted tone of the earlier books to the darker themes of the latter books. But I also love Half-Blood Prince, just because it's so enjoyable to read, and Deathly Hallows, perhaps because it's the one I've read the fewest amount of times and it's so different from the others, so there's always something new I discover while reading it. 

3. If you arrived in Diagon Alley, which shop would you enter first?

Hmm, possibly Gringotts- I have this picture of what it's like in my head and would love to actually see what it's like inside. Or possibly the magical menagerie, as I love going into pet shops (though feel sorry for the poor animals being stuck in there) and a magical pet shop would be even more amazing, and I'm sure I'd leave with a new pet or two. I think I'd save WWW for last, to be honest, just to savour the excitement of getting to go in there. :p

4. Do you have any pets?

I do! I have a miniature golden-doodle who sadly lives back home with my parents. He's a puppy and he's crazy and and bouncy and fluffy and ginger and incredibly cute and popular- way more of my neighbours know who he is than who I am. His name is Geordie, though apparently my parents nearly named him the same name as my boyfriend at the time, which would have been pretty hilarious. I've had a variety of other pets throughout my life (fish, hamsters, cats, dogs, a horse...) and am in serious withdrawal being away at school without some puppy loving.

5. What's your favourite day of the week?

Right now, I'd say Thursday, because I don't have class that day yet it's in the middle of the week so I'm still pretty productive and not as lazy as on the weekends. Also, there's something really exciting about knowing Friday is coming up. :p 

Thank you so much for these awesome questions! <3 They were a lot of fun to answer. :)

#15 -BookDinosaur-

-BookDinosaur-

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hi Jenna! I figured it was time to get myself over here after reading all your lovely stories. :D

1. I've commented on this before, you have this amazing writing style that reads like prose or poetry and it's a pleasure to read. Do you style it like that on purpose, or is it natural for you?
2. I know your short story collection Resistance and GfS and several one-shots all focus on those from the Dark Side of the Wizarding War, so how do you manage with writing the other side of the Wizarding War?

3. Why do you love writing minor characters so much?

4. What gave you the inspiration for Play the Devil?

5.  Tea or coffee? :p

Edited by -BookDinosaur-, 25 December 2013 - 02:07 PM.

y'all can call me emily 

Margaerysideways-lookalert-unreadable_zp  Margaerystaringcunning-calculating_zpsb2  Margaeryunreadable-determined_zps2604e99

all icons made by me

currently: editing The Golden Year - chapter one

I like to write (12+) | | ask me stuff (12+)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 Ghouls, 0 Ghosts, 0 Goblins