12 replies to this topic

#1 marauderfan

marauderfan

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

Hi! I'm marauderfan. I started writing fanfiction about six years ago. I love trees and I can play the piano upside down. This page is where you can ask me anything - if you have any questions or comments for me I'd be glad to answer them!

My currently posted stories are:

The Brave at Heart (Novel, M)

Melanie Hastings' worst problem is four boys from Gryffindor whose favourite pastime is to play pranks on Slytherins. But sometimes friendship can form in unlikely circumstances, which begins a whirlwind year of competition, mischief, and secrets... with the increasing threat of Voldemort on the horizon.

Divided: The Tale of the Hogwarts Founders (Novella, 15+)

They were the four greatest witches and wizards of their time. They had a shared vision. But their friendship couldn't overcome everything. This is their story.

How I Saved the Wizarding World with Hair Potions, By Gilderoy Lockhart (One-shot, 12+)

The world as seen through the eyes of seventeen-year-old Gilderoy Lockhart.
This is the story of how I became marvellous.
That's a joke. I was always marvellous.

Haunted (One-shot, 15+)

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace” – Jimi Hendrix

Swept Away (One-shot, 12+)

That fool You-Know-Who. He caused such a fuss at the Ministry, so it was really his fault Miriam Zhou found herself as a stowaway on a ship bound for Africa in order to meet a time-travelling shaman.
For the House Cup 2013: Hufflepuff.

Thanks for stopping by my MTA page!  :)

Edited by long_live_luna_bellatrix, 20 August 2013 - 02:35 AM.
Requested

:Hufflepuff: TBBBWHAPABYHDBWNOHPWHT :Hufflepuff:
magical sig by emmaweasley
hufflepuffforhousecupanimation_zps66657b
my stories [12+] | MTA [12+]
coming soon: chapter 3 of When Summer Fades

#2 WeasleyTwins

WeasleyTwins

Sixth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

Hello darling!

1. What is your favorite pairing to read?  Why?

2. How would you say you've changed as a writer?

3. What is your favorite thing about HPFF?

4. Do you have any favorite fanfictions right now that you'd recommend?  If so, what are they?

5. Do you write original fiction?  If so, what?

6. What makes you a Hufflepuff?

7. What are some of your favorite books outside of HP?

:happy:

The Seams [M]

2013 Dobby Awards Winner for Best Minor Character

2ebbytt.png

Author's Page [M]                   Meet the Author [12+]

Gorgeous set by alchemyfreak123 @ TDA

#3 marauderfan

marauderfan

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Hi there!

1. What is your favorite pairing to read?  Why?

You know, I don't think I have one favorite - is that weird? :p  My favorite pairing from the books is probably Ron/Hermione but I haven't read much fanfiction about them, to be honest. In terms of fanfiction, maybe James/Lily, because they both change so much. But I like generally any pairing that doesn't completely disregard canon. (I realize I just kind of hopped around your question there, but I hope that answered it!)

2. How would you say you've changed as a writer?

That's a good question. I'd say I've changed a lot, mainly because I've been writing for so long! (My first piece of original writing that I remember was one I wrote when I was about 13 - a story about a bunch of one-dimensional characters who go to camp and build a treehouse. :laugh:) I had to write a lot when I was in university, so I learned a lot about writing (though that was mainly research/analysis papers) and then when I came back to writing for fun, there was a huge difference between that and my high-school stuff. I think I've improved the most at descriptions and characterization (although I still have plenty of room for improvement :p)

3. What is your favorite thing about HPFF?

I love the community! We're all writers here and it's lovely to be surrounded by such talented writers, reading wonderful stories - but add on top of that the fact that we have a house cup competition and everyone is just so nice! I love the writing part, obviously, but even more than that I love meeting all these other great people who also like to write fanfiction. :)

4. Do you have any favorite fanfictions right now that you'd recommend?  If so, what are they?

So many! There are a lot of talented writers on HPFF! Lululuna's "The Girl from Slytherin" is really great. And "Keep Calm and Carry On" by my_voice_rising. Also anything by teh tarik - her descriptions are stunning. And if you're into silly parodies, Cassius Alcinder's Voldemort parodies are pretty fabulous.

5. Do you write original fiction?  If so, what?

I do! I'm writing a sci-fi novel that deals with the ethics of science, and space travel. :geek:

6. What makes you a Hufflepuff?

I think I have traits of all of the houses, so it actually took ages for me to choose :p But I'm definitely more Hufflepuff than anything else. I'm a very loyal person. And I think one of the main qualities of Hufflepuff house is that they are super friendly and accept everyone, not just the brave, smart, or ambitious - it's the equality house! Hufflepuffs appreciate fairness, and social/environmental justice is really important to me.

7. What are some of your favorite books outside of HP?

Hmm.  Since you didn't limit me to a number I'll rattle off a list just off the top of my head... Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Catch-22, To Kill a Mockingbird, 2001: A Space Odyssey, 1984, and Pride and Prejudice.

Thanks for the lovely questions! :)

#4 MissesWeasley123

MissesWeasley123

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

Hi! I just read your Gilderoy Lockhart story, and here I am!

1. What inspired you to write the Lockhart fic?

2. Comedy - you're full of it. Where do you get it from?

3. Favourite ship?

4. If you could do one spell for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

Thats all for now :D I look forward to reading your responses! Have fun replying :)

standing in the way of the light by patronus_charm [M] and

Avalanche by maraudertimes [M] are great stories!

qt1OS5l.gif

:Gryffindor: ^Elenia is a Graphics Goddess^ :Gryffindor:

this stuff i've written. [15+] whoa, questions. [12+] erm, a gallery [15+]

#5 marauderfan

marauderfan

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

Ooh yay more questions! Thank you!

1. What inspired you to write the Lockhart fic?

I had either just re-read CoS or watched the movie (I don't remember which anymore) and Lockhart's antics just crack me up! And I just started wondering what on earth was going through his head. So I decided to write from his POV! He's a very oblivious narrator which only made it more fun to write :D

2. Comedy - you're full of it. Where do you get it from?

Oh wow. I'm not sure, really! I've never thought about it. Maybe it's just because I'm a weird person, so bizarre things just come naturally to me :p I do read/watch a lot of comedy though - I love Douglas Adams, Monty Python, The Mighty Boosh, etc and I feel like I'm probably subconsciously influenced by the stuff that I read and watch.

3. Favourite ship?

Probably Ron/Hermione :)

4. If you could do one spell for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

Accio, definitely. Then I wouldn't have to spend half an hour searching for my keys all the time.

Thanks for the questions, I had fun responding to them!:)

#6 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 584 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hello! :) 

1. In your stories, you do such a wonderful job of capturing the voice of canon characters like Lockhart and Luna. Do you prefer writing canon characters or OCs? What is the hardest part of writing canon?

2. What kind of stories do you like reading on this site? Is there a particular genre/era/pairing you love reading, but would never write?

3. I notice that you have a Founders story on your author page, though I haven't had the chance to read it yet! What are the challenges and rewards of writing Founders?

4. You've already said why you're a Hufflepuff- is there one House at Hogwarts you would never be in?

5. If you could go shopping at one store in Diagon Alley, Knockturn Alley or Hogsmeade, where would you pick?

That's all for now! I can't wait to read your responses! :) 

slytherinsig_zpscd7be9c7.gif

Author Page [M]||Wonderful set by Wistful. 

Go Slytherin!

#7 marauderfan

marauderfan

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

Ahh!! Sorry it took me so long to see this - I rarely look at this thread and had no idea anyone had posted in it :shy:

1. In your stories, you do such a wonderful job of capturing the voice of canon characters like Lockhart and Luna. Do you prefer writing canon characters or OCs? What is the hardest part of writing canon?

Aw, thank you!! That is such a huge compliment :) As for what I prefer - I'm not really sure! :laugh: With OCs you have so much freedom with the character, and can tell really different types of stories - I wrote a sailing/time-travel one for the House Cup and I couldn't have written that story about a canon character. But the canon characters are the ones we know so well, and already love them from the books (...in general. Not all of the canon characters are loveable obviously :p). I'd say the hardest part of writing canon is adhering to the way JKR wrote them - if I'm going to be writing about the same person, I want them to act the same way, to think the same way that they were written in the books, so I have to get inside their heads and really understand them so they come across as genuine.

2. What kind of stories do you like reading on this site? Is there a particular genre/era/pairing you love reading, but would never write?

I like SO many kinds of stories on this site :p That's the great thing about HPFF. There are funny stories, ones that make you think, ones that you just adore the characters, etc. I read stuff from basically all genres and eras. As for the second part of the question - I try to challenge myself in terms of genre, so I don't think there are any I'd never write. But as for era or pairing - I don't know if I'd write a next-gen. I've seen some great ones out there, but I have never written one and I probably won't - at least not in the near future. I don't know if I'd have enough of a story to tell about them! :laugh:

3. I notice that you have a Founders story on your author page, though I haven't had the chance to read it yet! What are the challenges and rewards of writing Founders?

What a great question! I think the biggest challenge for me is keeping the dialogue realistic. Sometimes it sounds a little too modern - but of course the English language didn't exist as we know it in the tenth century so there's really no way to say! The rewards - well, I just love that era of history and I find it so interesting. (I did a fair bit of research to write that story and found out some cool stuff along the way!) And mainly it's just so different to everything else I've written, and that's really rewarding for me. That period of time is Hogwarts' beginning, so I really enjoyed setting the foundations of how Hogwarts could have developed, at least in my mind!

4. You've already said why you're a Hufflepuff- is there one House at Hogwarts you would never be in?

Not really. Sorting quizzes have put me in Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. I'd say I'm the least Slytherin - I am ambitious sometimes, but only about certain things and I'm a little too indecisive otherwise :p

5. If you could go shopping at one store in Diagon Alley, Knockturn Alley or Hogsmeade, where would you pick?

Is it a cheap answer if I say Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes? Because I would love to go there - mostly just to talk to the Weasley twins, and also to check out the coolest prank merchandise in London!

Thanks so much for the questions! ♥

#8 -BookDinosaur-

-BookDinosaur-

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:19 AM

HI KRISTIN! :D Decided to pop by and ask a couple of questions.

1. Where do you get the ideas for your most ridiculous parodies, like the Lockhart and the Barty Crouch Jr ones?

2. What's your favourite genre to write?

3. Is there one genre you like readng but would never attempt to write?

4. How do you approach writing Marauders era stories?
5. Your one-shot Haunted focuses on Peter - how dis you get inside his head, so to speak?

6. What word would you choose to describe your writing style?

That's all for now. :)

:Ravenclaw: y'all can call me emily  :Ravenclaw:

sXRIrly_zps82a34d44.gif   

beautiful sig and icon made by the lovely Kiana/patronus_charm

JulNo wordcount: 66,622 / 75,000 II currently writing: HC stuff

I write a wide variety of things (12+) | | ask me questions! (12+)

#9 marauderfan

marauderfan

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hi Emily! ♥

1. Where do you get the ideas for your most ridiculous parodies, like the Lockhart and the Barty Crouch Jr ones?

Usually they come out of nowhere with little prior planning :laugh: I think I had been re-reading Chamber of Secrets and Lockhart's antics just cracked me up, and I wondered, what does he possibly think while he's doing this? and decided to write a story about him. I set it in his school days so I could have fun with other characters I like writing :)

As for Death Eater's Kitchen... well. That one was mostly written during a layover in an airport at about 4 in the morning, and I just let my sleep deprived brain go wild. I was hungry, so I wrote about food. And I'm a biologist, so Barty tries to save the world from pollution. Most of the silly things in that story were added in at a spur of the moment. I wish I could say there was some amount of intelligent planning that went into it, but... :p

2. What's your favourite genre to write?

Humour, probably! I'm not very good at planning out plots, or being philosophical, but I can cobble together a bunch of weirdness and have it turn out relatively well!

3. Is there one genre you like readng but would never attempt to write?

Actually no - I like to step outside my comfort zone and try writing things to challenge myself, so I think I'd give a try at writing any genre. That said, I like mysteries but I'm not sure if any attempt of mine to write one would be spectacular. I'd probably give away the mystery in the first chapter!

4. How do you approach writing Marauders era stories?

Hm. Well, I guess it's different depending on the story. The era as a whole, at least to me, is distinctive because of the abundance of fun and silliness that would come from the four Marauders being at Hogwarts, but also a lot of sadness because of the first wizarding war that was going on outside the school. At-school Marauders would be really different to post-school Marauders for that reason. Of my two one-shots set in that era, one (Haunted) is solely about the war and not fun, and the Lockhart one is about fun, not the war. My novel includes both silliness and war stuff. I'm not sure if that answers your question, but I hope so.

5. Your one-shot Haunted focuses on Peter - how dis you get inside his head, so to speak?

It was quite hard to do so actually, because Peter is such a dislikeable character and hard to identify with. I attempted to figure out what circumstances might have made him the way he was, and then, given what he did, what he would be feeling. I used the little things we know from canon too, like in OotP how Peter was the type who never felt like he fit in, and how he pleaded to Harry in PoA about how Voldemort would have killed him, and just went from there.

6. What word would you choose to describe your writing style?

Eclectic, maybe? Variable? Depending on the genre and the character who's narrating, I tend to write in different styles, so it's hard to say. Like the way I write from Luna's POV is entirely different to Peter Pettigrew's - I try to keep the writing style in the personality of the character. wow I'm really failing at the one-word thing....

Thanks for the lovely questions, I had fun responding!

#10 toomanycurls

toomanycurls

New Blood in the Queue

• Validator
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

I thought I pestered you with questions before now - oh well, I'm here to grace your page with my inquiries. :D

1. Would you ever write a Firefly/HP Crossover? (I mean, if you could pretend they were in the same time period)

2. What would you change about the HP series if you could?

3. Who is the easiest for you to write? Out of canon characters

4. What would you talk to Dumbledore about given an afternoon to blast him with questions?

5. Which character from HP is a true tragic figure to you?

.:Rose:.

sXRIrly.gif

House Cup set by emmaweasley and patronus_charm | Author Page | MTA  (12+)

#11 marauderfan

marauderfan

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

Hi Rose! Thanks for visiting my page with your great questions! :)

1. Would you ever write a Firefly/HP Crossover? (I mean, if you could pretend they were in the same time period)

Hmm - I had never considered it, but now you've planted the idea in my mind and... well, I won't say no because it could happen! I've never written a crossover and it might be interesting to try. Probably not though.

2. What would you change about the HP series if you could?

Albus Severus Potter's name. Actually most of the kids' names in the epilogue. Maybe the entire epilogue. :laugh:

3. Who is the easiest for you to write? Out of canon characters

oh goodness - oddly enough, it's Lockhart! Yeah, I don't know what that says about me... :laugh: His narration just came really easily to me - maybe because he has such a one-track mind (the one track being himself) and I never had any second guesses on what he would do in a given situation. After that, probably Remus.

4. What would you talk to Dumbledore about given an afternoon to blast him with questions?

Ooh, that would be the best afternoon! What a great question. First I think I'd like to talk about socks, as he seems to be a fellow appreciator of strange socks. Then maybe I'd try and steer the conversation into the philosophical. Everything Dumbledore says in the books is so great - deep and thought provoking with a touch of humour, and I'd love to just soak up some life advice and words to think about. And then I would ask if I could go to Hogwarts.

5. Which character from HP is a true tragic figure to you?

I think Sirius is. A good and brave person who lost everything, endured the worst for over a decade for something he didn't do - if that's not tragic, I don't know what is. I know he's a flawed character and does reckless and stupid things sometimes, but that only makes him more realistic, and overall he's a good person. I wanted to throw my OotP book across the room when he died (but I didn't, because that would probably have dented my wall, and I would have lost my page.)

#12 HeyMrsPotter

HeyMrsPotter

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:43 PM

Kristin! You've left me some AMAZING reviews lately (have I thanked you a million times for that yet?)

1. If JKR was to write another Potter book, what would you like it to be about?

2. If you went to Hogwarts what would be your favourite subject?

3. What's your writing process like? Do you plan your stories in a lot of detail?

4. How did you discover fanfiction?

Enjoy :D

20533at.gif

Banner  and profile image by EmmaWeasley

TBBBWHAPABYHDBWNOHPWHT!

#13 marauderfan

marauderfan

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

Dee! How fortunate that you posted when I myself was creeping through the MTA's, so you get a really speedy response! :p

1. If JKR was to write another Potter book, what would you like it to be about?

Well, that depends if it's to be about Harry or not. If it were about Harry I'd like it to be about some sort of adventure he has as an Auror. If it were just a story set in the HP world but not about Harry, I'd love to read about some historical wizards and witches, I think. Like something cool that happened at Hogwarts/the wizarding world in the 1600s. Luckily, there are probably at least 28398 fanfictions on those topics so I have that at least! :p

2. If you went to Hogwarts what would be your favourite subject?

Hm, that's a good question! They all sound so cool, though that's of course just my Muggle viewpoint :p I think Charms would be pretty cool - it kind of covers some of everything. But to be honest my favourite would be either Herbology or Care of Magical Creatures. In real life I always loved ecology/the natural sciences so magical plants and animals would definitely be my thing. 

3. What's your writing process like? Do you plan your stories in a lot of detail?

It's kind of chaotic, to be honest! My first fic wasn't planned out very well - I had written scenes here and there and kind of strung them together, although over the years it took to write that, I learned how to plot it out better. Now I primarily write shorter things. I outline the basic ideas and organize it, and then essentially start typing and see what happens.

4. How did you discover fanfiction?

It must be 8 years ago now, I was a member of Mugglenet's Chamber of Secrets forums, and one day I ventured out of the "make theories about what's going to happen in the last book" section and into the fanfiction because I kept seeing recommendations of one particular story all over the place, and thought maybe I'd give it a try. Beforehand, I had wanted nothing to do with fanfiction because I didn't really "get" it, but I read that whole fic in one day and I've been hooked ever since! :p

Thanks for the questions! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users