• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Debra20

Debra20

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

Hey guys. So I thought I'd start an MTA page since I am slowly becoming more and more involved with the writing part of HPFF. You can find my stories here (12+ and M). I love talking about fics and the writing process, so feel free to ask me anything, I promise I will reply as soon as possible :)

I've been involved with the process of writing for some while now, but only recently have I had the courage to put it out to the public. I've always been pretty self-conscious about the fact that English is not my main language, so I've avoided as much as possible any opportunity to show my work. But HPFF has taught me the real meaning of support :) So here I am, opening up to you all! Can't wait to hear from you :hug:

breathtaking set by that guy.@TDA (12+)

c5V5a9T.png

My Stories (12+ to M) \\ MTA (12+) \\ Review Thread (12+)

#2 MissMdsty

MissMdsty

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hey there!  :hug:

Let's get some quick questions!

1. What inspired the plot for your HC entry, the story about Fred's journey in the beyond?

2. Have you ever considered writing humor and romance stories? Is there a style that doesn't appeal to you in some way or that seems too hard to get just right?

3. When will we be seeing a multi-chaptered story from you? 

4. What is the one thing that you need to get inspired? 

AZ1lJ5g.png

set by penseé @ tda

Author Page (15+ M) || MTA ||

#3 Debra20

Debra20

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 492 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Ral! I am so happy you're the first to ask me questions. Thanks a million for stopping by :hug:

1. What inspired the plot for your HC entry, the story about Fred's journey in the beyond?

I think it was mostly the merging of two different ideas. On one side I have always been interested in mythology, and the Seven Deadly Sins has been a classification I've always loved to read about. On the other side, I always wondered if what happened to wizards after death is different to what would happen to Muggles. I suspected the two instances were different, so I thought "different how?". I didn't follow any specific process to be honest. I always build up my ideas on "what if's" :p This was a big what if: what if Death was in the mood for a bit of amusement and chooses to tempt Fred with a promise (not telling what that is yet, but there is a hint dropped during the first chapter)? Since Fred is very distraught at his current situation, he accepts and thus has to overcome 7 tasks which have the Seven Capital Sins at their core. And voila :D

2. Have you ever considered writing humour and romance stories? Is there a style that doesn't appeal to you in some way or that seems too hard to get just right?

* Romance definitely. As much as I love adventure, I am a hopeless romantic :p I'm not sure about humour. I really enjoy reading humour stories, but I'm not that sure I'd be as good as some people are at it. I think real humour is very wittty and I don't know if I'm made for it. Occasional humour sure, but stories with humour as the predominant genre...hmm, tricky

* I haven't tried all the styles yet, so I can't be sure what works for me best and what doesn't, but I suspect mystery is not quite as easy as some might think. You need to pay careful attention to a lot of things (foreshadowing, how much you leave the reader to figure out, etc)

3. When will we be seeing a multi-chaptered story from you?

Very soon. After the HC in fact. My Fred story (Soul Pieces) is planned as a novella, with a chapter dedicated to each sin ;)

4. What is the one thing that you need to get inspired?

Imagination. I get inspiration from real life (music, situations people are in, fights, friendships, perks, habits, etc) and other novels as well, but there's nothing better than your own imagination to cook the best story ever! I'm an incurable over thinker, so many ideas come easily to me. What's not that easy is putting them on paper and expanding them. That I need research for ;)

c5V5a9T.png

#4 CambAngst

CambAngst

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hey! :bye: I hope you don't mind a few questions from little old me.

1. I am seriously in awe of people who write with style and elegance in a language that isn't the one they grew up speaking at home.  :worshippy:  How do you think this affects your writing? Do you feel like you have to plan more carefully and think things through better when you're writing in English?

2. I see you're taking the plunge into the world of longer stories. Yay! How does your planning process work? Is the story already mostly worked out in your head or did you leave yourself a lot of room for the story to evolve as you write? How do you track characters, events and plot threads as you move from chapter to chapter?

3. Do you set aside a specific time to write each day/week or do you just write when the muse is upon you?

4. It looks -- at this very early stage of the game -- like you might be writing a story where Tonks and Bellatrix have some interaction aside from just trading curses and insults. In my experience, this is unprecedented. What gave you the idea? Which of the two characters do you identify with more strongly?

5. Is there a character that you'd love to write, but you just haven't found the right idea yet? What attracts you to them?

6. OK, deep question time: Do you ever find that immersing yourself in the world of fiction (HP or otherwise) changes your expectations for how people should interact with one another? Does it ever affect you in real life?

7. Related to Question 6: If you learned about a dangerous, evil magical person sealing a part of their soul in a locket, you would totally expect Ral to drop what she was doing and help you find it and destroy it, even if it was protected by a legion of zombies, am I right? :p

That's all I have right now. Looking forward to seeing your answers!

You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be. - Albus Dumbledore
My Author Page (stories range from 15+ to M) - My MTA Page (12+)
Posted Image

#5 Debra20

Debra20

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 492 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Dan! It's so lovely to see you here!!

1. I am seriously in awe of people who write with style and elegance in a language that isn't the one they grew up speaking at home.  :worshippy:  How do you think this affects your writing? Do you feel like you have to plan more carefully and think things through better when you're writing in English?

I don't know if it affects the planning side of the story, but it's a definite challenge when it comes to the actual writing. What's difficult, for me, about writing in a language that's not my own is that I can get easily frustrated because more often than not I have this image in my head, like a movie playing in real time, and I know the feel of the moment, but then I lack the words to properly express what I'm seeing. The part that's most affected by me being a bilingual, so to speak, is definitely description. I spend a lot more time describing a scene, than writing dialogue or anything else. And I'm not referring to describing the way a character feels (Jo has taught me many adverbs :p), but technical descriptions like a house, a room, clothes, how a character looks, etc. I lack the needed vocabulary to explain, as I would like to, what I'm seeing in my head...which makes me not very happy  :twitch:  Not to mention that I mess up the syntax of the sentence because we place words differently :blushing:

2. I see you're taking the plunge into the world of longer stories. Yay! How does your planning process work? Is the story already mostly worked out in your head or did you leave yourself a lot of room for the story to evolve as you write? How do you track characters, events and plot threads as you move from chapter to chapter?

For Blood Ties, which is a story that could (and I am stressing the word could) be taken as a missing moment (because we don't really know what Tonks was up after the Battle of the Department of Mysteries up until the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, except a few things), I have written down everything I know that happens to Tonks from canon. For example, we know that after the Battle of the Department of Mysteries she stays in the hospital for a bit, or that Harry meets her at The Burrow when he is taken there by Dumbledore, etc. These are the major canon events that I intend on following. After I've done this, I just started filling in the gaps with my story.

I don't plan everything down to the last comma, but I do have some important events I want to include. The rest comes as the story progresses. I jot down any idea that comes to my mind in my notebook for future reference, then I will come back to them and see if they can be added or not, if they really make sense in the context of my story, etc.

I found that I work best with worksheets like the one Jo has released for Order of the Phoenix. I have this time line for Tonks and other important canon happenings (like Emmeline Vance and Amelia Bones dying, for example), then I add to it as I go along. Since this is a more character driven story, there are not nearly as many plot threads as the story I'm planning for the First War, so it's easier to keep track of everything that happens or has to happen. I am not a strict planner, I do like to have a bit of leeway, but I need to have at least a general outline of each chapter and the story in its entirety. To give you an example, the outline for my first chapter of Blood Ties looks something like this: "Tonks once again remembers the fight at the Ministry and decides to ask the only person who could tell her more about her aunt, her mother. Andromeda snaps and has a weird reaction that only helps to deepen Tonks's curiosity" Everything else written in the chapter come in the spur of the moment

3. Do you set aside a specific time to write each day/week or do you just write when the muse is upon you?

Definitely when my muse is upon me. I do write better at night, when my family has finally settled down and I can turn on my inspiring music and just focus on the chapter, but there have been times when I've written for more than 4 hours at noon, or at 10 AM in the morning...

4. It looks -- at this very early stage of the game -- like you might be writing a story where Tonks and Bellatrix have some interaction aside from just trading curses and insults. In my experience, this is unprecedented. What gave you the idea? Which of the two characters do you identify with more strongly?

Yes, you are quite right about it. The story focuses heavily on the relationship between Tonks and Bellatrix. They are the main characters and they will have most of the spotlight, together with Andromeda because she plays an important role in her daughter's change. Well, to be honest, the idea is from the challenge that I've entered haha. The character I unknowingly picked was Tonks and I just sat there thinking what could possibly turn Tonks on the Dark side, and then it hit me. The only possible person is Bellatrix. Apart from the brutal, sadistic tendencies Bella most definitely has, I also see her as an excellent manipulator. I just can't picture has as the insane type, all the time. There must be more to her than her scary obsession for torture. We see her leadership nature in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, when she takes charge of the chaos there and separates Death Eaters into pairs, ordering them in different directions. There are these little hints, like the one I just mentioned, scattered throughout the books that lead me to believe that Bellatrix has skills that we don't know much about, and this is what I'm trying to explore about her in my story. The darker, but less insane side of Bellatrix Lestrange.

Since the story is written from Tonks's point of view and she is the one undergoing the 180 degrees change, she is the character whose thoughts and feelings I have to explore most, and until know it has been a very interesting experience. To answer your question, I definitely identify stronger with Tonks, even if I have to admit that writing Bellatrix in all her darkness and viciousness is very captivating. For a long period of time I was tempted to study criminal psychology, but I never pursued this path because I realised that in the long term it would affect my life as well. But writing is a totally different thing. In writing I can explore the mind workings of someone like Bellatrix, without worrying much about my own mental health, since I am not directly exposed to it. It remains purely on the theoretical level ;)

5. Is there a character that you'd love to write, but you just haven't found the right idea yet? What attracts you to them?

Snape is the character I'd simply love to write, but I know and feel I'm not ready for him yet. I have the perfect idea for him and I will write him one day, but I still need to grow as a write to be able to do him proper justice because my idea involves Snape as an adult, not a child. If I will ever be able to do him justice, then I'll know I've reached the best I could offer in terms of HP fanfiction. You could say he's my dearest and highest ambition :wub:

Dumbledore is also a daunting project. There's just something about him I'm not sure I could capture, because I can't put my finger on what it is exactly. It's like that person, a girl or a boy that everyone loves. They have that something - something, like invisible glue that attracts everyone. You don't know what it is, but you know it's there and not every person has it. That's how I feel about Dumbledore. He's an incredibly difficult character to write, especially from his own POV. His mind is too brilliant for me...yet, at least

6. OK, deep question time: Do you ever find that immersing yourself in the world of fiction (HP or otherwise) changes your expectations for how people should interact with one another? Does it ever affect you in real life?

Out of everything you've asked me today, this is the hardest question. I think I spent more than 10 minutes thinking about it haha. My answer is yes and no. To give you an example, the story I am planning for NaNo (the First War one) is going to feature Alice and Frank Longbottom and their struggles with the War as members of the Order and newly weds. Since I can't not mention this to make my point, I am going to tell you that their relationship will be a strong one. A rocky relationship of course, because those were not easy times, but their bond will be unbreakable and no matter what they might go through, they will eventually end up together. In this sense, yes, I would like to see more relationships like this in real life. Couples that fight thought the difficulties of married life and outside of the marriage life, rather than throwing in the towel at the first obstacle.

On the other hand, I hope relationships like the one I am about to write between Bellatrix and Tonks don't happen in real life :laugh: So we can safely say that what I write does affect my personal life in some way, but not very deeply and not permanently. I try to portray relationships as realistic as possible, so I guess it's inevitable that real life mingles with fiction when you do this

7. Related to Question 6: If you learned about a dangerous, evil magical person sealing a part of their soul in a locket, you would totally expect Ral to drop what she was doing and help you find it and destroy it, even if it was protected by a legion of zombies, am I right? :p

Totally! I wouldn't care what she was doing at the time (I refrain from giving examples in case she accuses me of considering her too shallow again :p). But I also know that I wouldn't even need to ask because she'd offer her help alone :wub:

Thank you so, so much for these thought provoking questions. They made me really happy! (hope you are not disappointed with my answers)

c5V5a9T.png

#6 unwritten_curse

unwritten_curse

Head of Gryffindor

• Validator
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

Hi there! I've come with some questions for you!

1. I see that you took place in the Speed Dating challenge (me too!). What was the experience like for you? Did you approach the writing differently because of the time limit?

2. Glancing at your Author's Page I see that you've explored the Horror/Dark genre quite a bit. What about the genre appeals to you? 

3. On that note, what genres haven't you explored yet and why? Are any genres out of your comfort zone?

4. What has been your favorite aspect about writing fanfiction? Also, have you dabbled in original fiction? If so, what have you written? If not, do you plan to?

I look forward to your answers. :)

HouseCupSigElenia_zps3a952394.gif

signature by Elenia @ TDA

[ hpff | mta ] links 12+

#7 AditiDraco95

AditiDraco95

Inquisitorial Squad

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

Hey :)

1. How much of a challenge was it for you to write Bellatrix in Blood Ties? 

2. How did you get inspiration to write Soul Pieces as it is based on a very unique and interesting concept? 

3. According to you, what is the easiest part of the writing process? 

4. Do you plan your stories completely beforehand, or do you write as the ideas flow? 

A Proud Slytherin | My stories (12+ to M

DyPdhck.png

Sig Set by 365kate.

#8 SamMalfoy93

SamMalfoy93

TheHeiroftheQueue

• Validator
  • 916 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

Hey! :D

1. Where did you get the idea for Blood Ties? Why Tonks?

2. Which genre do you prefer to write in?

3. What's your favorite era?

4. Who's your favorite character?

See you soon!

Sam TheHeirOfSlytherin (12+-M) S.D.W.W.S
Posted Image
Set by aigue-marine @ tda.

#9 HollyStone73

HollyStone73

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

It's question time!!

1. Many of your stories involve the "grown-ups" of the HP world (Lucius, Bella, Alice etc...) Do you find writing them easier than the "children" (Harry, Hermione etc...)?

2. How much time do you process and lay out a story line before you actually begin writing a story?

3. Do you ever see yourself venturing into any next-fen stories?

4. How important is keeping characters in cannon when writing?

5. If you could meet JKR and ask her any one question, what would it be and why?

Can't wait to hear your answers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users