3 replies to this topic

#1 GingeredTea

GingeredTea

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

I suppose I am not the first one to feel flustered about what, exactly, to write here. 

Hi. Hello. Nice to talk to you... 

I guess that’s a good start. 

I’ve been reading and writing HP fanfiction for a long time (2004, I think) but only really delved back into it recently. Right now I am revamping my oldest and most constant story series “Devlin Potter”, but I DO have plans for other stories! 

Mostly, I am just looking forward to talking to anyone who has any interested in my writing - because that’s just darn cool. I’m a red haired, green eyed girl that’s not even five foot tall so there is no reason to be afraid of me - honest! 

Alright, so some people fear my tongue, but I’m much more well behaved when I am typing ;-) 

Perhaps some day I will have figured out a better thing to put here, but then I will probably forget to request an edit for this page and then you’ll never know I figured something better out! 

I like to ramble....be warned. The great thing is, you don’t have to read my whole ramble...another benefit of communicating with me through writing. 

Anyways, I look forward to talking to you. 

Devlin Potter's Story(M) - Both Lord Voldemort and Harry Potter live on, and the second wizarding war continues to rage. But when the Dark Lord kidnaps Harry's son, he discovers a boy who looks far less a Potter than a Riddle, raising questions about the parentage of the supposed Muggleborn girl Harry married. Four years later, Harry is reunited with the son he thought was dead and must face the fact that his boy is no longer the Devlin Potter he was born to be. "I'm not that boy anymore, you know. I'll never be him - ever - and you should send me back, because I'm not yours anymore."

#2 CambAngst

CambAngst

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:22 AM

Hi, there! :bye:

I was all ready to write another review for Devlin Potter tonight, but the doctor gave me a prescription today that left me feeling rather spacy. I'm not sure a review would be all that coherent at this point. But I'm great at asking questions, even if I do feel a bit loopy. So here goes:

• The concept behind your Devlin Potter story has to be one of the most unique I've ever come across, and I read a fair bit of AU. Where did the idea(s) come from? What was the inspiration that got you going?
  • I absolutely love the mythos you've built up around werewolves in your story. I've very rarely seen an author delve so deep into everything from their social hierarchy to their senses to the coloration of their eyes. What is your favorite piece of head canon where Harry Potter-style werewolves are concerned? What is your least favorite?
  • How long do you expect Devlin Potter to be when you're finished?
  • You said that you've been reading and writing Hp fan fic since 2004. Is there a story in the Archives that I probably haven't read but I really should?
  • How much time do you spend writing and editing in a given week? Do you set specific time aside or just make time when you can?
  • I think you're immensely gifted at drawing out the mental states of your characters. You use small, physical details, and the repetition of short, punchy bits of inner monologue very effectively. Do you have a favorite author or authors whose work helped you to master this style of writing?
  • There are a few "major" canon characters that we haven't seen at all in Devlin Potter so far: Fred and George, Luna and Neville come to mind. Any plans for them to make an appearance?
  • What type of story would you like to tackle when Devlin Potter is finished? Any plans?

Seven is the most magical number and just like the Dark Lord, I've managed to overshoot by one. ;) Looking forward to reading your answers!

You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be. - Albus Dumbledore
My Author Page (stories range from 15+ to M) - My MTA Page (12+)
Posted Image

#3 GingeredTea

GingeredTea

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:07 AM

Ooooh, this will be fun. I’ve just been slogging through a scene that I must have tried to write ten different ways, so I’m feeling a different kind of spacey. Answering some questions might be a good switch up! :D

1. First of all, that is a huge compliment, so thank you. If you had asked me in 2004 what inspired me I probably could have answered, but I’m not quite sure anymore to be honest. I think there was a fanfic out at the time that featured James as being Voldemort’s son and the blood connection intrigued me as an idea, but I didn’t think that it was very likely (although I recall really enjoying the story itself - “Prongs Rides Again”, “Second Chance” ...maybe one or both or a combination). We didn't know about Horcruxes yet so it was easy to tell there was some kind of connection and blood seemed like a  reasonable enough one to spur several stories being written about it. 

So I think the story started with pondering for a bit if it was plausible that Voldemort had any children that we wouldn’t know about - and Alexandra was born in my head. I decided that even Alexandra wouldn’t know, but then knew she’d need to know eventually, which is where Devlin came in. A little copy of Tom Riddle. Alexandra goes to visit her somewhat estranged, magic-bewildered mother, who she hasn’t spoken to since she married Harry, which her mother didn’t agree with (“You’ve told me about that monster - isn’t marrying him just asking for trouble?”). She brings with her Devlin. 

“You already know who he looks like, don’t you?” She accuses and she feels tears of injustice prickling at her eyes. Of course it would happen this way. Of course this would be one more thing she would use to keep the pain of the topic fresh between them.” 

And so, that is how Alexandra learns that her mother wasn’t a muggle after all. 

““I prayed you wouldn’t look like him and you didn’t. You looked like me, except for your hair. You had magic, of course. It was quiet magic and I almost thought you wouldn’t make it into Hogwarts, but you did. I knew if you went there, looking just like me, someone would recognize you and we would be found. I couldn’t do that, so we moved.”” 

I suppose that little scene was what started it all. The kidnapping began because I wanted to show what Voldemort would do, when also faced with this look-alike. I didn’t think he would notice, which is why the story opens with the torture scene. He doesn’t see the boys resemblance to him and it is only after that he realizes the connection. 

So I suppose the story was born from a couple one-shots - in my head, not written down at the time. I like fiddling with ideas. 

Devlin had no outward inspiration - he just came alive for me. 

2 To be very honest, I’ve never read a fanfic about werewolves (or any other fiction). I took a course in college about the origins of wolves though. I’m glad my writing is convincing enough to think it was inspired. I chose to go that deeply into it, however, because I needed to express that there was this oddness, or sharpness, about Devlin. It was inspired after thinking about what other victims of Crucio suffered combined with how I decided Wolfsbane must work. 

Devlin isn’t exactly normal for a werewolf, which we might be mislead to believe he is since we’re not as often in Geoffrey or Remus’ head. We’ll see more of this very soon in the story and we will realize that something disrupted Devlin’s wolf. In my story, for instance, Severus Snape refers to Wolfsbane as working like a “liquid Occlumency”, allowing the human mind to remain in control of the werewolf, like it does the other days of the month. It recreates the barrier that is present between werewolf and human. But Devlin is different. 

3 The original first ‘book’ was 44 chapters long or 108,359 words long, but I think this one will be less chapters (I’ve made them longer, generally) but definitely more words. If I compared them apples to apples (which they really aren’t - this rewrite changes some major plot points that differ) then we would be just about half way done. The sequel was 67,855 words at the time that I stopped it (because I wanted to finish the rewrite first) and was nowhere near to being done. I also had a really fun AU inside of an AU side-story going on - so the answer is: pretty big. Like I said, I like fiddling with ideas. “What if...” was and still is my favorite phrase. 

4 Oh man, yeah probably - but I donno if I have any of my old bookmarks (this would be the 3rd computer change!) Ask me this in a few weeks and I’ll try to collect some examples. Demons Amongst Us was a fabulous WIP that I still remember to this day, though. 

5 I have like no time. I steal time from other places, lol. I cram a lot of writing into my lunch break and late at night when I should be watching that show I like with my boyfriend, but end up sitting at my computer unable to stop typing. 

Some weeks everything goes smoothly and I get a couple hours (break + nighttime) but sometimes I just end up mulling it over at any opportunity I can. Honestly my best ‘writing’ happens while I am asleep. Right before sleep I lay there and think of a scene that has been bothering me so intensely that I usually end up dreaming about it and wake up simply knowing how it needs to go. When I write it is like a reel of images - I see it all like a movie. 

6 No. My writing teacher in Highschool hated my writing style. “These sentences are too long - these are too short!” :) It has pretty much always been that way - although I have come a long way in the way I make it all pretty and polished and my flow has improved a lot. I used to get logged down in details but I have learned now what are the most important or lend the most to the current mood I’m trying to set.

When things get intense in my stories I always imagine the words coming between the quick beat of a heart - I guess that’s the short punchy bits? I get hung up on details of things. Sometimes I forget to contribute to a conversation because I’ve been regarding the tiny muscle movements of their forehead, or which way they have tipped their head, or the way someones voice sounds when they are upset, overjoyed, or just woken up. 

7 Oh, this is a good one! Since this story surrounds Devlin we are mostly limited to the people he interacts with - and right now Harry and Alexandra haven’t really introduced him to the Order crowd. That said, most of those characters I can promise are alive. 

I’m not sure, actually. I had one titled “Only Blood Remains,” but I think I’d really have to finish Devlin’s story to even move onto that. Devlin has kinda consumed me. I’ve always liked playing with ‘what if’s’ though, so it would probably be another AU. 

Hope my answers aren’t too long winded, but you should know better, since you have read my replies to your reviews! 

Edited by GingeredTea, 20 November 2013 - 04:10 AM.

Devlin Potter's Story(M) - Both Lord Voldemort and Harry Potter live on, and the second wizarding war continues to rage. But when the Dark Lord kidnaps Harry's son, he discovers a boy who looks far less a Potter than a Riddle, raising questions about the parentage of the supposed Muggleborn girl Harry married. Four years later, Harry is reunited with the son he thought was dead and must face the fact that his boy is no longer the Devlin Potter he was born to be. "I'm not that boy anymore, you know. I'll never be him - ever - and you should send me back, because I'm not yours anymore."

#4 HEG

HEG

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

Here are some questions:

1. What inspired you to write Devlin Potter?

2. What is your favourite quote?

3. Which is your favourite HP book?

4. How long have you been writing?

5. What position would you play in Quidditch?

Enjoy!!! :D

Qhp49Cb.gif

:Gryffindor: Bravery in our blood, determination in our hearts :Gryffindor:

Awesome sig by Eleina!! @hpff and tda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users