Photo

FlaviaThe lights are on, somebody should be home!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flavia

flavia

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Ok, so I used to have a MTA but then I went away so it got deleted so I'm making a new one!  Yay!

Some fun facts about me:

• My favourite food is toast
  • My favourite colour is GREEN (Even though I'm a Gryffie)
  • My name is Bec (or Rebecca...you pick)
  • I'm an ex-teacher, now studying to be a costumier and my goal is to either live in New York and work in the theatre or move to the UK and make costumes for period dramas.  My ultimate dream is to be a costume designer but that's ever so slightly more difficult.
  • I'm an Aussie, and darn proud of it! 

And most importantly...

• I love Harry Potter like a bee loves honey, like zombies love brains, like the Doctor loves the TARDIS, like Voldy pants loves not having a nose, like sand loves getting everywhere(!), like Monty Python love making up hilarious songs about stuff, like Hagrid loves Aragog, like a hipster loves instagram, like Hermione loves the library, like....like...like... oh I can't think of any more! 

Feel free to ask me lots of questions, I love talking about myself :p and give me some more ideas for my 'loves like a' list!

Facing Tomorrow (M) | My Stories (12+) | My MTA (12+)

homecopy_zps56d51ddc.png

Fabbity Fab Icon by Emccentric & Adorbs Siggy by Kelso.  both @ TDA

#2 nott theodore

nott theodore

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Nab!

Since I'm currently obsessed with your stories and I've literally read everything you've written so far, I have things to ask!

What's your inspiration for writing?

How often do you write?

Do you write original fiction as well?

What's your favourite genre to read/write? (In fanfiction and original)

Who's your favourite HP character and why?

Which is your favourite HP book?

If you weren't in Gryffindor, which house would you be in?

What would your Animagus/patronus be?

Wow, that's a lot of questions.  I should probably shut up now!

25yyfjl.png

Icon and signature by Violet@TDA

My stories [12+] My MTA [12+]

#3 flavia

flavia

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Yay!  Excitement!  Questions!

What's your inspiration for writing?

I take a lot of inspiration from my own life, either personal experiences (which there are more of in Facing Tomorrow) or things I see around me.  Like I'll be sitting on the train and watching someone and I'll start developing an idea around them.  I also get inspired by other books, movies etc, like not as in plagarism, but the way two characters interact or a small detail that might just wiggle its way into my story.

How often do you write?

As often as I can!  I like to write in large blocks of time, so often I'll set aside an afternoon or evening or if I can spare it, a whole day for writing.  I'd rasther knock out a whole or half chapter in one sitting that doing a paragraph here and a paragraph there.

Do you write original fiction as well?

Yes-ish.  I'm just getting in to it, but I'm not sure if it's something I'll get really in to.  We'll have to see.

What's your favourite genre to read/write? (In fanfiction and original)

I'm not sure I have one favourite, but I'll try to narrow it down a bit! 

In FanFic, I like NextGen and Post-Hogwarts, I tend to prefer things with OC's because I find that I'm scrutinising them less than with canon characters, but I am rather partial to a well-written Marauders story.  Definitely Canon though, I really don't like it when things go off-canon.

In Original Fiction, my moods change like the weather.  I'm in a bit of a YA/Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic phase at the moment, I've just finished reading the delirium series by Lauren Oliver.  But I do really love classics (Esp. Jane Austen and Children's literature (Narnia, Alice in Wonderland, Anne of Green Gables etc)

Who's your favourite HP character and why?)

Fred and George Weasley, hands down. 

Which is your favourite HP book?

Prisoner of Azkaban.  The storyline is so incredibly clever!

If you weren't in Gryffindor, which house would you be in?

Probably Hufflepuff.  I would say Ravenclaw because I think I have a lot of 'claw-like tendencies, but I'm also far too lazy when it comes to academics.  Plus, I tend to be pretty loyal to the people I care about, but once again, Lazy, so there goes the hardworking thing!  hehehe...so a Gryffie I will be :)

What would your Animagus/patronus be?

This is such a tricky question because I think that 'what should it be' and 'what do you want it to be' are two very different things.

I think I'd like to either be some kind of bird because I love the freedom and the idea of flying.  Or I'd like to be a dog because I think that suits my personality (bouncy and mental one second, calm, quiet and sleepy the next, but always affectionate).

Incidentally, I just took a animagus quiz and got an owl first and a deer second so maybe one of those?  I like the owl idea :)

homecopy_zps56d51ddc.png

#4 CambAngst

CambAngst

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hi, there! Can I tell you how much I've been enjoying our review swap this month? (That wasn't one of the actual questions, by the way. Just an ice-breaker. ;) ) I've really enjoyed reading Facing Tomorrow so far. You're doing a fantastic job with it!

OK, here are the actual questions:

• I've been very impressed with the way you've written the mental health aspects of Emily's story so far. Do you have any sort of background in this area? Any personal experiences that inform your writing?
  • What's the best thing about being an Aussie on a site where most of the members are Brits and Yanks? What's the worst thing?
  • What led you to get out of teaching?
  • Do you set aside a specific time each day (or week) to write, or do you just write when the muse is upon you?
  • If JKR allowed you to exchange one of the "good" characters who died in the books for one that lived, who would be your choices and why?
  • If you had never read the HP books, do you think you would be writing your own fiction anyway? What are your other inspirations?
  • A few people I know think that there's an inherent sexism in the HP books because the "leading" characters (Harry, Dumbledore, Tom Riddle) are all male while the "supporting" characters (Hermione, McGonagall, Bellatrix) are mostly female. Agree or disagree?

That's all I have right now. Thanks!

You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be. - Albus Dumbledore
My Author Page (stories range from 15+ to M) - My MTA Page (12+)
Posted Image

#5 flavia

flavia

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Oh yay!  I only just saw this but I got so excited when I did.  More questions...I love questions :)

I've been very impressed with the way you've written the mental health aspects of Emily's story so far. Do you have any sort of background in this area? Any personal experiences that inform your writing?

I have some personal experience in this area, I have suffered from anxiety and depression in the past...still do actually although it's fairly high-functioning these days.  I am rather passionate about mental illness because of this, mostly about the stigma that's attached to mental illness and how this creates a sense of shame amongst people who suffer from mental disorders and feel the need to hide it.  I just saw this as a good opportunity to write about it in a very realistic way, and I'd had this story idea floating around for a while so that's where it came from.  I've also met a lot of other MI sufferers (we tend to be able to 'sense' each other I think lol!), so I've also learnt a lot about other's experiences that way.  Naturally, I also do in depth research for my writing. 

What's the best thing about being an Aussie on a site where most of the members are Brits and Yanks? What's the worst thing?

The best thing is getting to know people from all over the world and making new friends who I otherwise wouldn't get to meet.  The worst thing is time zones!  I always seem to be online when everyone else is asleep!

What led you to get out of teaching?

Short answer - I had a nervous breakdown.  Long answer - I was never really happy as a teacher (sound like someone we know? :p) and it had never really been my passion, I'd just chosen it because I was good at it and it was a secure and sensible career option.  I had been flirting with the idea of studying costume for about a year before I got sick, and when I had to take time off work I had a lot of time to think about options and eventually bit the bullet and made the leap (double metaphor FTW).

Do you set aside a specific time each day (or week) to write, or do you just write when the muse is upon you?

I look at my writing every day that I can, maybe four or five days a week, but sometimes I can't seem to write at all.  Other times, I can't seem to write fast enough to keep up with my thoughts, but I try to write every day that I get the chance, even if it's just a bit of editing or planning. 

If JKR allowed you to exchange one of the "good" characters who died in the books for one that lived, who would be your choices and why?

Part of me wants to say 'The series is perfect the way it is, every death served a purpose,' and whilst I do believe that, there were two deaths that just broke my heart: Dobby and Fred.  I sobbed like a baby when Dobby died because it was just so moving, so poignant, so unnecessary.  and Fred breaks my heart because all I can think about is how poor George has to go through life without him by his side :(  Gah!  I'm getting teary just writing this!  I don't know who I would trade either of them with though.  maybe Hagrid, because I honestly thought he was going to die anyway, but no...I can't do that, it's like asking me to kill of one of my own children!  (not that I have children but you know what I mean) 

If you had never read the HP books, do you think you would be writing your own fiction anyway? What are your other inspirations?

I've always written for my own amusement, but I never let anyone read my writing or took an interest in improving my writing skills until I found HPFF.  I think a lot of it was the variety of stories and the people here on the forums that inspired me to write and instilled that sense of 'betterment' in me as a writer.  So actually I don't know if I would be writing very much if it hadn't been for HPFF, and if I was, it would be absolute dribble!

A few people I know think that there's an inherent sexism in the HP books because the "leading" characters (Harry, Dumbledore, Tom Riddle) are all male while the "supporting" characters (Hermione, McGonagall, Bellatrix) are mostly female. Agree or disagree?

I totally disagree!  One thing about feminism that bugs me is this sense that one gender is better than the other.  I believe that men and women are equal but not identical.  They play their irreplaceable roles in the world and it's the same in HP.  I find it a little offensive that people would classify McGonagall or Hermione as less important than Dumbledore or Harry, and to those people I would suggest they didn't really understand the books at all, because the Harry Potter series is overflowing with strong women.  I mean the crux of the story is a woman (Lily) who performed the strongest piece of magic in the whole series by loving her child so much she put her life before his.  McGonagall is an absolute BOSS who has more strength than she receives credit for, Hermione might be an annoying know it all but she is remarkably brave, incredibly intelligent and saves the day just as much as Harry does.  The idea that because the main protagonist and antagonist are male, the book is 'sexist' is so narrow minded, because the story is so much bigger than Harry or Tom Riddle.

Thanks for the questions!  I had loads of fun answering them :)

homecopy_zps56d51ddc.png

#6 -BookDinosaur-

-BookDinosaur-

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

Hello! Pick me! I'm an Aussie as well. Yay for Aussie pride!
Can I just say I've read everything you've written? Do I sound too stalkerish there?

Random Questions:

Blues or Maroons? (I want to threaten you to make you say Blues, but since you're one of my favourite authors, I can't do anything to you. Gah.)
NRL, NRU or AFL?

Okay, moving on to HP questions:

What is your favourite canon pairing?
Favourite non-canon?
Least favourite canon?
Least favourite non-canon?
Where do you get inspiration from?
How do you get over writer's block?
Favourite stories on the archives?

I think that's all for now. :)

BookDinosaur - A proud RAVENCLAW :Ravenclaw: | Call me Emily!

bookdinosaursiggy_zps7dd4a0d7.png

Amy made this amazing siggy and it is the boss.

Camp NaNo: 38,587/50,000

Author Page (12+) | Review Thread (12+) | My MTA (12+)

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users