Photo

HollyStone73The girl behind the crazy...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HollyStone73

HollyStone73

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hello!!

I am HollyStone73....Um...I am not entirely sure what to write here...I am VERY new to the writing on FanFiction despite having read stories for a few years. I am very unaccustomed to allowing anyone to see anything I have written so please be gentle. I love feedback and I am always open to answering questions and meeting new people so chat away!!

Find My Stories Here (12+-M)

#2 Siriusly89

Siriusly89

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hi there! Here are some questions for you :woot: :

Why did you decide to start writing ff?

Favourite ship and why

Favourite Character and why

Which one of your pieces are you most proud of at the moment?

Idiotic_zps4b6a03bb.png

SIg and Avatar made by the wonderful 'ladyDi' @ TDA.

#3 HollyStone73

HollyStone73

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

Yea...I love questions!

Why did you decide to start writing ff?

I don't even think I know exactly. I've always loved writing, but always had a hard time getting started. My biggest problem has always been setting a scene and getting readers to see what I see in my head. I started FF for some practice writing since I don't have to create my own world, but I could instead build on what was already laid out for me.

Also because I have always been fascinated with the whole "what if" question. It amazes me how different things could be in someones life if they had made a single different decision.

Last reason...I HATED that Snape was killed off!

Favourite ship and why

I think I would have to say Luscious and Narcissa. I was intrigued by the strength that Narcissa showed when she lied to Voldemort about Harry being dead. It showed me that she was the braver of the two of them and was able do what even her husband was unable to do in standing up and facing Voldemort down. It makes me wonder what it was that brought the two of them together.

Favourite Character and why

It is a tie between Snape & Neville. Snape because he was so not what anyone thought him to be. His suffering at the hands of the Marauders, his love for Lily and his bravery creates a deliciously deep character which leaves lots to work with in the way of story writing. Neville because I admire how he was able to rise up from wimpy timid kid to a strong & confident leader is too awesome not to love!

Which one of your pieces are you most proud of at the moment?

As much as I love "Out Of The Ruins" I think I am most proud of "Merlin's Apprentice" because it is something so outside of what I would ever have written since it was a part of a challenge. It pulled me out of my comfort zone and was far more difficult for me to write.

#4 Lady Asphodel

Lady Asphodel

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:27 AM

Hey! :D

Got a few questions for you! :happy:

1.) What made you decide to write "Out of the Ruins?"

2.) What inspired you to include an OC in "Out of the Ruins?"

3.) When you're finished with the story, do you plan to write a sequel?

4.) Do you plan to write another fanfic that involves Harry and Severus with a different plot?

Edited by Lady Asphodel, 05 November 2013 - 03:27 AM.

|| Alishya || HPFF +12 - M || MTA +12 ||

BpXB2M0.gif

|| +Lady Asphodel - AKA "Azulive"_(+12)  I'll Never Go Away ||

:Gryffindor: "Bravery in our Blood, Determination in our Hearts!" :Gryffindor:

#5 HollyStone73

HollyStone73

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

Oooo....Trying to make me think...I like it! :)

1. What made you decide to write "Out of The Ruins"?

Tee hee...I guess this is where my narcissism comes shining through. I really didn't like Snape being killed off in DH, and was really interested in what would have happened to him if he had survived. I always imagined him being incredibly uncomfortable in having his true feelings and nature exposed especially to Harry and wanted to see what that would look like.

2. What inspired you to include an OC in "Out of The Ruins"?

This was actually a difficult one for me since I have never been a huge fan of OCs. However, I could not see any cannon characters being able to be enough removed from both Harry & Snape to be able to serve as an adequate and non-partial buffer between the two of them which I thought would be essential in order to create the mentor relationship between them that I was seeking. 

3. When you are finished with the story, do you plan to write a sequel?

Oh dear...I'm not even sure. Right now I can't even see myself ending this any time soon. LOL! Which I guess I should probably think about huh...  :yes: I suppose every story needs an ending. I guess it would all depend on how quickly I get through the next 19 years.

4. Do you plan to write another fanfic that involves Harry and Severus with a different plot?

Hey! Have you been snooping through my notes? LOL! Actually I have been working on one. As I said in a previous entry I am fascinated with "What if?" scenarios. SO...in my current idea in progress the "What if" centers around Harry & Severus and what would have happened in second year if the Weasley brothers had never stolen the car and rescued Harry themselves. Super fun stuffs! LOL!

Thanks a bunch for the questions! And FYI...Chapter 19 should be finished & submitted by the weekend. 

:flowers2:

#6 Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin

Inquisitorial Squad

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Rumpel popping in to ask some questions!

1. You've mentioned that you've had experience with patients suffering from PTSD, and you've incorporated said experience into the character's sufferings in Out of Ruins.  While I'm sure that makes it easier, does it also cause some mild distress on your end?  I'm just asking, because when I'm writing I tend to empathize with my characters too much, and I feel like I would be traumatized right alongside them.

2. Alexis is a fabulous OC, where did you come up with her characterization?

3. Where do you find yourself thinking about what to write, the most?  (ie: For me, it's when I'm driving.)

4. If you could spend 10 minutes talking to any HP character that you wanted, who would it be?  What would you ask them?

Where fate makes dreams go up in smoke.

SigEverto_zps1d3f04a6.jpg

Crazy Rumpel Writing (12+) :: Interrogation Center (12+)

#7 HollyStone73

HollyStone73

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Ack!!! Just saw this now! So sorries!!

1. You've mentioned that you've had experience with patients suffering from PTSD, and you've incorporated said experience into the character's sufferings in Out of Ruins.  While I'm sure that makes it easier, does it also cause some mild distress on your end?  I'm just asking, because when I'm writing I tend to empathize with my characters too much, and I feel like I would be traumatized right alongside them.

Hmmm....Good question. Way to make me think! LOL!

PTSD has become sort of a fascination to me. Ok that sounds weird...let me explain...My husband was deployed in "no joke" combat zones a total of 5 times (so far) in both Iraq & Afghanistan. Throughout that time I was active duty myself and a then civilian technician working in mental health clinics on military bases. The things that my husband had seen/done/experienced would be enough to absolutely break much lesser men and yet he's been completely unaffected mentally. However, I saw individuals in my office who had experienced much lesser horrors that were on the edge of a having a complete breakdown. So I have kinda made it my mission to dedicate myself to researching PTSD to find out why people have such different reactions and what is it that prompts people to have such different tolerance levels in hopes of being able to implement new prevention strategies on individuals likely to experience traumatic experiences (Ie...soldiers, first responders, police etc...) to lesson the emotional/mental impact of the events. 

Recently PTSD has become an issue of public interest and has been (most times) incorrectly portrayed in most all of the popular media venues. So "Out of the Ruins" has kind of become my own personal way to get some more realistic portrayals of PTSD out there. Plus it was always a huge plot hole that I thought was missing from the books. With everything that everyone experienced I could not foresee everyone just continuing on happily with their lives with absolutely no emotional backlash. So in a way...writing about it is a sort of catharsis for me in a "this is what PTSD is REALLY like" kind of way. (If that makes sense...)

2. Alexis is a fabulous OC, where did you come up with her characterization?

Ok...so this may sound odd, but I kinda built her off Snape. I just started thinking about the kind of girl that Snape would need in his life. While I have nothing against Lily, I feel like she was not a good enough fit for him. With all of his habits of secretism (is that a word...secretness? I dunno...) and concealment of his emotions he needs someone that can get through to him in ways that no one else can. Which is why she can read emotions. (Something I have always wished I could do! Imagine trying to treat patients and being able to know exactly what they were feeling?! Awesome sauce!) So she needed to be someone who can stand on her own against him, have a few tricks up her own sleeve and just enough of an air of mystery to show Snape how it feels! LOL!

3. Where do you find yourself thinking about what to write, the most?  (ie: For me, it's when I'm driving.)

LOL! I usually get struck with the best ideas when I am walking to and from classes at my university. It is a super large campus and I usually spend on average about 2 hours traversing between classes and the parking lot etc. So I put on my Pandora, enjoy my walk and observe the weird people on campus. That is usually PLENTY of inspiration! :)

4. If you could spend 10 minutes talking to any HP character that you wanted, who would it be?  What would you ask them?

More thinking....Yikes! I guess I would have to say Narcissa Malfoy. I would LOVE to know what her motivation was in marrying Lucius and would love to get a little more insight into the family dynamics. She has always seemed like the strong one to me but, I see her as someone that is willing to let her husband think that he is in control. And yet when her situation was most dire her bravery shown the brightest and her devotion to her son led her to act in ways that so many others would not dare to. Defying Voldemort, Lying to him....Amazingly complex woman like so many others that JKR created!

Thanks for the questions!! I love them!! Keep 'em coming!

Edited by HollyStone73, 27 February 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#8 ScarletEye158

ScarletEye158

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Hey there! I have some questions for you about your writing! :happy:

1. How did you get into reading and writing fanfiction?

2. Are your favorite genres, eras, pairings, and ratings the same for both reading or writing? Or do you like to read certain things and write other kinds pf stories?

3. Who is your favorite ship to read and write?

4. Do you find it easier to write characters that are already created for you (Harry, Ron, Hermione, Luna) or would you rather make up your own characters?

5. Have you ever written anything that wasn't fanfiction before? If not, have you ever wanted to?

6. Do you have any stories/plots coming up that you're excited to write?

can't wait to hear back from you! :)

siggybyEstella_zps7e4c27e3.png

amazing set by Estella! <3 

Amanda (12+) | My Stories (12+) | MTA (12+)

#9 Lady Asphodel

Lady Asphodel

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hey Holly! Have more questions for you!

1.) Do you listen to music to help you carry out your writing?

2.) Which of your favorite authors inspire you the most besides JKR?

3.) Do you prefer to write original fiction or fan fiction?

4.) Do you ever have those nights where you stay up until you lose all the hours of your sleep and you have wait till you can find time to get some rest? :p I know I do.

5.) Did you like Severus Snape in the very first movie/book before the other books of the series came out?

6.) How do you get past writer's block?

|| Alishya || HPFF +12 - M || MTA +12 ||

BpXB2M0.gif

|| +Lady Asphodel - AKA "Azulive"_(+12)  I'll Never Go Away ||

:Gryffindor: "Bravery in our Blood, Determination in our Hearts!" :Gryffindor:

#10 HollyStone73

HollyStone73

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

Yea!! Lots of questions!!! To avoid a double posting I am putting both of y'alls questions/answers in one post. Hope neither minds!  :good:

ScarletEye158
1. How did you get into reading and writing fanfiction?
I kinda stumbled across fanfiction accidently. After reading DH I was desperate for more information about what happened to everyone. I guess I didn’t feel like it ended well and I was left wanting more. I knew that JKR had done interviews and things where she went more in-depth about things so I started googling and one of the first things that came up was HPFF. I began reading a story and it was so good I thought for sure JKR had written it herself. I was hooked almost immediately. I couldn’t get enough and began reading through stories like crazy. Eventually, despite how much I loved the stories I read, I kept thinking about how it didn’t fit with what I think should have or would have happened. So…I began writing my own stories.

2. Are your favorite genres, eras, pairings, and ratings the same for both reading or writing? Or do you like to read certain things and write other kinds pf stories?
Hmmm….I never really thought about it, but I suppose I tend to stick to the same general genres. I’ve never been into fluff and excessive romance stories and can’t seem to get into parodies. I think drama, angst and dark are my general favorites because they seem to be the most believable and realistic. 

3. Who is your favorite ship to read and write?
This may sound kinda weird, but I am pretty attracted to pairs like Molly/Arthur, James/Lily, Lucius/Narcissa and Frank/Alice. I think the main reason for this is because there are still so many places to go with them. Their stories weren’t told as deeply which leaves an air of intrigue that seems to need to be explored.

4. Do you find it easier to write characters that are already created for you (Harry, Ron, Hermione, Luna) or would you rather make up your own characters?
Definitely not! I actually get VERY nervous when writing cannon characters because I feel that there is more pressure on me to get them “right”. Some of the minor characters that aren’t as fully developed are a little easier, but I still find myself rewriting and changing things a lot. While I do tend to write a lot of AU I realize that some characters will change in response to those new situations, but I do try to keep things as close to cannon as possible.

5. Have you ever written anything that wasn't fanfiction before? If not, have you ever wanted to?
It’s funny you ask because I am currently writing an OF which I hope to begin posting on the OF sister site that is set up. It’s actually a dark/angsty drama that will (hopefully) end with some majors feel goods. 

6. Do you have any stories/plots coming up that you're excited to write?
As a matter of fact I do. ☺ (Although I will probably end up kicking myself trying to keep three novels going) I am interested in trying to explore an AU in which Sirius is able to convince Dumbledore of his innocence and is granted custody of Harry at a very young age. I know that this has been done probably to death, but I think I have a fresh take on it all. We’ll see I guess.

Lady Asphodel
1.) Do you listen to music to help you carry out your writing?
When I write I usually am watching television, (usually when the husband has one of his weird Ancient Alien shows, or his classic car rebuilding or auction shows just to keep myself awake LOL) but I get most of my inspiration while listening to my music. Lately I have been listening to a lot of Skillet and other rock bands. Honestly I just put my Pandora on the Skillet channel I made so it is a lot of those types of bands. I find they help get me into a darker place to write some of the more emotional stuff.

2.) Which of your favorite authors inspire you the most besides JKR?
This is pretty sad, but lately the only books I have been reading have been kid oriented. LOL! I did just finish reading the Hunger Games which resparked the post-war “doom and gloom” frame of mind so maybe that. Then I have been trying to read through Game of Thrones, but have spent more time reading textbooks than any thing else.

3.) Do you prefer to write original fiction or fan fiction?
This is a toss-up because I WANT to write more OF but I get too easily frustrated with that, so I always end up switching back and forth. In all honesty I usually have at least 2 HPFF stories open on my laptop and one of my OFs. It’s all a pretty disorganized mess. Sometimes I am absolutely amazed that I get anything accomplished at all.

4.) Do you ever have those nights where you stay up until you lose all the hours of your sleep and you have wait till you can find time to get some rest?   I know I do.
I regularly am up until 2 or 3 AM either writing or doing homework since most of the day is spent either in classes or trying to balance all of my RL stuffs. (BLECH!) I usually try to sleep in on the weekends. Unfortunately with my husband gone with army stuffs for weeks, Months or years at a time, this isn’t always possible. Luckily with my son getting older I can usually try to feed him breakfast and head back to catnap for a bit or catch a nap during the day. He’s a super awesome kid way wise beyond his years and I definitely very lucky. When the husband is home, he is the early rises and usually, unless we have something happening won’t come and bother me until after 10AM or so. (I have everyone trained well! LOL!)

5.) Did you like Severus Snape in the very first movie/book before the other books of the series came out?
I don’t think I can say that I liked him like I do now, but I had felt for certain that there was something different about him besides what Harry saw him as. Especially after it was discovered that Quirrell was the bad guy. After then, whenever Harry got all accusatory towards him I became immediately defensive. I have to admit I was mildly devastated from the end of HBP to the end of DH where I literally shouted at my book, “HA!!! I KNEW IT!” Lol! (Yea, I’m one of THOSE people that get WAY too into my reading that I forget where I am and what I am doing.) Lucky for me, by the time I got around to discovering the books all of them were out and DHP2 was only several weeks away from being released in theaters so I did not suffer for long years as others probably had done by waiting for the books to be released. 

6.) How do you get past writer's block?
Heh….Funny you ask since I just had to ask for help with that one myself. Currently I am re-reading one of mine I am stuck on (I won’t scare you by saying which one, lol) and plan on having a HP movie marathon with my son over Spring Break which should ignite some things. (And no fears…I know where I want to be going, just a little stuck on how to get there. If that makes sense.)

:thanks: Thanks SOOO much to both of you for making me feel special with your questions!! Lots of loves & hugs!  :thanks:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 Ghouls, 0 Ghosts, 0 Goblins