#1 800 words of heaven

800 words of heaven

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

So. Hi, first of all.

Secondly, I JUST REALLY WANNA TALK TO YOU GUYS! - In a totally non-creepy manner. So feel free to talk away!

And bear with me here, whilst I learn my way around the wonderful world of online forums. I wonder if it was so tricky back in Roman times as well...?

I suppose I should give a little low-down on myself and my writing. Well, I've been reading HP fanfic for a very long time, but have only recently started to write. I'm a way sporadic updater, but I DO want to finish all of my two stories! So if you're waiting for them - they will happen! Like a House on Fire (my first fanfic EVER) is undergoing beta-ing, so updates will just be edits for the moment, and Not Normal's next chapter will happen as soon as I can figure out how I want to say what I want to say.

In the meantime, feel free to read Problems, my first ever one-shot (I dunno why I haven't written one before this, because I absolutely love reading them and they're more my speed, writing wise, as well), if you want a good old dose of fluff!

Adios, amigos! And keep smiling! :D

Tamora Pierce Quote Challenge (12+)

o8855u.jpg

Author Page (12+ to M) | MTA (12+)

#2 Siriusly89

Siriusly89

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hi there! :D

1. Where do you get your inspiration from?

2. What is your favourite era to read?

3. Favourite ship?

Idiotic_zps4b6a03bb.png

SIg and Avatar made by the wonderful 'ladyDi' @ TDA.

#3 800 words of heaven

800 words of heaven

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

Hello! And welcome! :yahoo:

1. Hmm... I've never really thought about this. Plot bunnies usually just hop right in! Quite often, I'll get ideas from what I'm reading/watching at the time, and run with it from there. Also, what tends to happen with me, is that I get a lot of little ideas - not enough to be stories on their own, but still deemed special enough to merit a place in a story. That's why I'm such a slow writer as well. I have to wait a while before enough ideas accumulate themselves into stories! But yes, major inspiration comes from what I'm reading - not plots, but little things like how to foreshadow in a certain way, or explore a particular theme in one way, then another.

...I'm not that coherent, am I? :no:

2. I got into fanfic reading Marauders era (and also, incidentally, writing) and I think it still remains my favourite, although I do quite enjoy Next Gen fics. I think, the thing about both these eras is that there's just enough known about them, to ground them in canon, yet still go completely crazy with it!

3. Fave ship? Can I name more than one? Because I have more than one! A perennial favourite is Jily. It was the main ship of the first fanfic I ever read, and I've never stopped loving it. I love ScoRose (is that a thing?) as well. They were the first Next Gen ship I ever read and I think they're just a lot of fun! Teddy/Victoire has grown on me, and so has Ron/Hermione.

Well... I'm not good at answering these questions clearly, am I? It's just that I like too many things! :shy:

Thanks for the questions!

o8855u.jpg

#4 Laurenzo7321

Laurenzo7321

Second Year

• Prefect
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:36 AM

Heya!

It's been a while since I got the chance to read Like a House On Fire but I thought I'd come and ask you a few questions anyway!!

1. What's your fav era to write?
  2. Who's your fav character to write?
  3. Where did the inspiration to Millie White come from?
  4. When did you start reading the HP books? How did you get into them?
  5. HP movies or books?
  6. If you could save any ONE character from death in the series who would it be and why?
  7. What are your favourite and least favourite bits in the books?
  8. What's your opinion on the HP films? Actors/Actresses, good bits/bad bits etc etc

Posted Image

Beautiful Signature Set by my Elenia@TDA!

| My Authors Page (M) | My MTA Page (12+) | My Review Thread (12+) |

#5 800 words of heaven

800 words of heaven

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Hello! *waves enthusiastically*

Wow! Awesome questions - don't mind the rambling answers!

1. Okay. This is tough. With four stories published, I've tried my hand at three different eras, and it's difficult to choose just one. Post Hogwarts can be fun, because you have established characters with semi-established endings, so you simply fill in the blanks for yourself. Marauders' Era I think will always have a special place in my heart because it was the first era I ever read and for which I wrote, but the problem is, you know how it ends for these guys, and it's a tiny bit sad, so for me, writing with these characters is always a bittersweet experience. Next Gen might be a bit of a winner for me right now, simply because as an author who's a bit of a stickler for canon, there's a lot of scope with characters, settings, plots, etc. I can make these characters do practically anything I want and not hurt myself by mucking up canon. So I guess... Next Gen wins for me!

2. Ooh! Another difficult one! I make it a point to only write characters I like, because I find it super difficult to write characters I don't like. Sirius is definitely more fun to write than Millie (from Like a House on Fire), simply because Millie is quite different from the way I am, and Sirius thinks more along the lines of the way I think. Ellie is also a lot of fun to write (from Not Normal), simply because we share a lot in common. But right now, I think I'm enjoying writing Regulus Black the most (he appears in Not Normal) just because he's quite different from any other character I've written so far, and he just has so much potential!

3. Haha! This character was thought up quite a few years before I wrote her down, so she has quite a few elements of what I was and aspired to be when I was a younger and different person. I think she's partly inspired by Luna (but just a little), but mostly, I wanted a sort of normal girl (sort of being the key phrase here) who could hold her own against the legendary Sirius Black. You have no idea how much I adore Sirius (or maybe you do), but when I started writing the story, I didn't want any of my fangirling to trickle into my female lead. Her character's obviously changed over the years, but yeah.Sirius is actually a lot of inspiration for her character design. My Sirius has always been quite fleshed out in my head, with very few changes, so I looked at specific traits of his, and either matched or mismatched them for Millie. They're not supposed to fit quite so perfectly as say, James and Lily do.

4. I moved to the country in the year that the first HP movie came out, so I was thrown right into the hype of it all! I went to see the first film in the cinemas, and got so scared by the ending (I was pretty young, and I really didn't know what to expect) that I was terrified of reading the books! But the year after that, my grade 2 teacher decided to start reading the first book to us in class, but I moved schools before we finished it, so I just HAD to finish the book by myself! And from there, my love affair for the series began!

5. The books, definitely, but I seriously enjoy the movies as well! I think they're super important parts of the fandom, and have gone a long way in boosting the popularity of the series. Also, it's a great way to be introduced to British cinema and its wonderful actors!

6. I'd like to selfishly say Sirius, but in all honesty, I get why he had to go. This is really difficult, actually. Hmm... I'd probably have to go with Remus in the end, because that's a choice that's selfish as well as selfless. There are very few good father figures in the series (only one comes to mind at the moment, and that's Arthur), and I think Remus was shaping up to be one of them. He was pretty decent towards Harry, but he always hated himself so much for being a werewolf. I think fatherhood would have gone a long way to help him with this, and I just think he'd have been an awesome dad!

7. Favourite bits would have to be when Remus, Sirius and the Trio are all chilling up in the Shrieking Shack, trying to work out what on earth's going on. For me, this was the first hint of a bigger world out there, than what we just read in Harry's adventures, and that was super exciting! Least favourite bit - I can't remember where it is exactly, but it was in the fifth book, and Harry's yelling at Snape for some angsty reason. There's a lot of caps lock, and I remember reading it for the first time and feeling really uncomfortable and embarrassed on behalf of Harry, for some reason!

8. I think the films are great! Sure, they aren't perfect, but I think they did a bang up job overall. My least favourite film had to be GoF, because it was really disjointed for me. I think the slower pacings for OotP and HBP couldn't be helped, because the books themselves were also slower paced. My favourite film is PoA, just because it's such a wonderful change from the first two films - the music especially, as well as the use of lots of big open spaces for scenes was beautiful! And Harry's hair, of course! I love the actors and actresses who portrayed the characters, although I was always a little disappointed in the way the films portrayed Ginny. She's such an awesome character, and I think that awesomeness didn't come through that well, making her relationship with Harry seem really weird and sudden. One of the controvertial things I do love that they added, but wasn't there as much in the books was the Harmony ship. I think it was great that they explored that possibility, because it could've happened!

I've written such long answers here! Hope you don't mind, but I loved doing this! Thanks for the amazeballs questions!

o8855u.jpg

#6 Katty01

Katty01

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Do you prefer reading the fan fics on this site or writing fan fics for this site?

If you were an animagis, what animal would you be? ( i know you are probably what this has to do with anything, but to me this says a lot about your personality and your writing)

If you had to choose between the three leads of the hp books, which one is your least favorite and most favorite

*Krissy

#7 800 words of heaven

800 words of heaven

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

Hola, amigo!

Reading or writing... hmm. I started by reading on this site, and to this day, this site remains my fave for HP fics, so it was natural for me to want to start writing for this site. I guess I enjoy both in different ways. Whilst both activities aren't exactly mutually exclusive, they are quite different in my head. I enjoy reading, because I get to see some awesome works and write reviews for them, thus helping me think critically about my own writing, as well enjoying a good story. I also enjoy writing though, but for different reasons. I like creating stories and sharing what's in them with other people, and receiving critique for them, so I can improve myself. Does that kida answer the question?

I'd have to say a tiger for my animagus, I think. They're fierce, and independent, but they're also super protective of their families!

Out of the Golden Trio, I think Harry might be my least favourite, because he spends quite a lot of time being angsty and wallowing in self-pity. Whilst that's completely understandable, given his circumstances, I sometimes can't help thinking, "Stuff happens, dude!" Right now, Ron is my most favourite because he's a pretty chill bloke, and takes life as it comes. I think he and I have a few things in common, and he's always just so endearing!

Wonderful questions! Loved answering them (especially the one about my animagus form - can't say I've ever thought about it!)

o8855u.jpg

#8 Katty01

Katty01

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

1. What is your favorite cannon or non cannon 'ship?
2. Who is your favorite author not on this site?
3. Who is your favorite author on this site?

*Krissy

#9 800 words of heaven

800 words of heaven

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hello, there!

1. I don't really have a favourite ship, really. I like to read Jily and Rose/Scorpius, as well as other Next Gen ships. I must admit for having a bit of a soft spot for Sirius/OCs as well, and Draco/Astorias have me aww-ing quite often. As far as non-canon ships go, this is really difficult, because I'm a bit of a stickler for canon, so as a rule, I don't like them, although I totally support a Neville/Luna pairing as well as Draco/Apple - I seem to have these ships in common with David Yates, apparently!

2. By favourite author not on this site, do you mean like not fanfic authors? I'm gonna go ahead and assume that, so I can answer this question, because I don't regularly read fanfic on any other site other than this. I don't really have a favourite of all time, but I am a huge fan of James A Owen whose amazing fantasy series needs far more popularity and recognition than it has, Garth Nix, simply because Sabriel is an amazing book, Julia Quinn, Sally Mackenzie, and Lisa Kleypas, because I'm a sucker for funny historical romance like that, and Tamora Pierce. More than authors though, I tend to fall in love with individual books or series. I find that, for me at least, authors can vary so much from series to series, or even book to book.

3. Once again, no one fave author, but I do have a few that I would recommend: deceptive_serenade, dream_BIG, justonemorefic, and gubraithianfire are all really good authors.

Thanks for the questions - super fun to answer!

o8855u.jpg

#10 Katty01

Katty01

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

If you could have any quidditch position, which would you hold? ( just we are clear this means beater,chaser,seeker, or keeper)

Which potion would you most like to own? (My personal fave is liquid luck)

Which Hogwarts class would you most like to take?

I know these are all a bit off topic, but they are fun to ask and read the answer to.

Last, i can sorta tell your a sucker for Sirius/OC by your fics

-ginnys twin (Krissy)

*Krissy

#11 800 words of heaven

800 words of heaven

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

Haha! Nah, they're not that off topic! Also, they're super fun questions to answer, really!

I wouldn't really play Quidditch, because I have this huge fear of heights, but I guess if I did, I'd like to be a Beater, just because they get to hit things with clubs really hard! It sounds like it could be loads of fun. But seriously, if I had a choice, I'd definitely be a spectator!

I reckon Liquid Luck would be pretty awesome, but some Pepper Up potion would be super duper helpful. I get colds fairly regularly, and whilst I'm only stuck in bed for three days, I feel terrible, and I hate that feeling. I'd much rather lie in bed of my own lazy accord, so a potion to fix me of my cold would be great!

I'd love to take Astronomy and Ancient Runes (I cheated, I know, by choosing two). I've wanted to be an astronaut since I was eight years old, and I'm taking Astronomy at university now, but it would be really awesome to have taken it from such a young age for seven years. I'd love to do Ancient Runes as well, just because I love languages, and a dead one very specific to the Wizarding community would be super fascinating to study! I could go into more detail about what I'd want to study in each, but I fear you'd think me a complete weirdo for doing that!

To be honest, out of the four fics I've written, only one of them is SIrius/OC. Let's not mention the fact that it is my first, longest, and most regularly updated fic, though!

Wonderful questions (and I loved your answers, too)!

PS: I just realised that I'm replying, like, half an hour after you posted these. It might seem a bit weird, but I just didn't want to study for my chem test today!

o8855u.jpg

#12 Katty01

Katty01

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

Ok, I know this is not the purpose of the MTA thread, but when will you update Like a House on Fire? I'm dying of suspence here.

Ok, onto the questions!

1. If you had to switch places with ONE hp character for ONE day, who would it be, what would you do, and why?

2. Where do you write (ex. On your bed, by the couch)

3. What would the smelly love potion smell like to you?

4. Does grammar and spelling matter in a fic?

Bye for now! Sirius-ly, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE UPDATE!!!!!!

*Krissy

#13 800 words of heaven

800 words of heaven

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hello, again! I'm not sure when I'll update Like a House on Fire. I have an idea for the next chapter, but words still elude me! But hopefully it shouldn't be as long a wait as last time!

1. I'd probably swap with Albus Dumbledore just because he gets to see so much stuff and do so much stuff and knows so much stuff! I'd just like to be him and see what on earth he gets up to on an average day as the headmaster of Hogwarts/part-time saviour of the wizarding world!

2. I usually write sittng on my beanbag in the middle of my bedroom floor. My beanbag is exceptionally comfy! I have tried writing in bed, but I find myself falling asleep too easily!

3. I have no idea what it would smell like! And quite honestly, I don't really want to find out! However, if I had to take a guess, it would probably smell like clean laundry, Dettol soap, and toothpaste. I appear to be rather obsessed with cleanliness.

4. Grammar and spelling matters heaps in a fic! I'm a bit of a linguistic freak, so I've actually looked at this in depth. Grammar and spelling do so much more than just annoy those who use it. They facilitate communication in a whole heap of ways. They aid cohesion, so your story is easier to read and understand, and there is a world of difference between "hole" and "whole"! Punctuation is great for creating rhythm, flow, and add character to your story. Also, you can use grammar in so many different ways to create so many subtle nuances! It's a seriously underrated tool, in my opinion! Of course, I'm not going to hate on a fic for the occasional typo, or a wayward comma, but in general, good grammar and spelling are things for which I look when I read any kind of text, because they tell me so much about the overall quality and communication skills of the author, because the author might have something great to say, but if I don't know whether you mean "their" or "there", I'll have trouble getting that message!

Wonderful questions, as usual! I love replying to them!

o8855u.jpg

#14 Katty01

Katty01

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

If you had to chose ONE genre to write your entire life, what would it be?

Do you play any instruments?

Is there a character you want to write, but haven't?

Bye for now!

*Krissy

#15 800 words of heaven

800 words of heaven

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

I CAN PICK ONLY ONE GENRE?!?!?! WHY WOULD YOU INFLICT SUCH PAIN ON ME?!?!?! Well, I'd probably choose humour, because I'm not good at it, but I'm not bad at it, so there's heaps of room for improvement, with the added bonus that I'm still confident in my skills to get at least some laughs. Also, I think it's a really underrated genre, and there's a lot of scope in it. You can do practically anything with humour, which is wonderful, because I would never get bored!

I do, in fact, play an instrument - sort of. I began learning how to play the guitar in grade 3, but I'm really depressed to say that I'm not much better than I was when I started out! I do enjoy it, though, and get really into it when I play Love Story by Taylor Swift, Dream Catch Me by Newton Faulkner, A Thousand Years by Christina Ricci, and an old fave - Mr Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan, I believe!

There is one character that I want to write, and it's Astoria Greengrass. I have kind of written her, but I want to write more - like a novella to novel more. I have an idea, too, but I don't want to start writing it just yet, because I have ideas for a middle and some of the end, but like nothing for the beginning. Also, Phineas Nigellus Black, if I can ever manage it - which I might be able to soonish, and Bellatrix Lestrange, who I want to write, but can't because I love her character design so much that I fear that I wouldn't do justice to it. And considering that you've now consigned me to writing one genre only for the rest of my life, it would be even more impossibly difficult!

Edited by orderofthephoenix, 04 May 2013 - 02:00 PM.
edited out personal info -ootp

o8855u.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users