6 replies to this topic

#1 Sheriff

Sheriff

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

I've only been here about 18 months. Thought I'd better get round to having one of these.

I'm thoroughly expecting another 18 months to pass before anyone gets bored enough to post, though.

Come on world - surprise me...

#2 ScorpiusRose17

ScorpiusRose17

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

Well I guess I will be the one to surprise you! :D

Okay first I'll ask you some questions about your stories and then I will ask some random ones that I always love to ask.

Story questions:

1) What inspired you to write a story about Slytherin House Post War in Lion, Eagle, Badger, Snake?

2) Was Snake Bites an easy sequal to come up with from Lion, Eagle, Badger, Snake?

3) Which character from your stories are your favorite and why?

4) I love Lione, Eagle, Badge, Snake. What inspired you to write about your OC Characters and including more main Next Gen characters?

5) Do you have any futuer stories coming up?

Random Questions:

1) If you looked into the Mirror of Erised what would you see and why?

2) What would your Boggart be if you stood facing it?

3) If you HAD to be in ANY other house which would it be and why?

4) Do you have a favorite Ship?

5) Favorite/Least Favorite Character of the Series? Book? Movie?

Okay well that is all I have for now, but I am pretty sure I will be back to ask more as I continue reading your awesome stories!

~ScorpiusRose~

1envcw_zpsbe41df0a.png

*Amazing set by: SwissMiss@tda*

*New Story: Always (15+) Lily/Severus* *New Story: The Fates Design (M)* *Author Page (12+ -M)

#3 Sheriff

Sheriff

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

Yay! So excited, I’ve probably put way, way too much detail in... but what the heck!

1) What inspired you to write a story about Slytherin House Post War in Lion, Eagle, Badger, Snake?
If I’m honest there’s not a simple answer to that question. LEBS began in about 2005 as “Loose Cannons” – hence the titles of the first two chapters – and was supposed to be about Quidditch. I managed about a chapter and a half, got bored, and abandoned it for the best part of half a decade. Then, five years older, and five years wiser (perhaps), I stumbled back into fanfiction with a totally altered world view (that’s what happens when you stop being a student and enter reality), and an understanding that the Slytherin qualities of cunning, ambition and manipulation (whilst making sure other people can’t tell this is what you’re doing) are pretty much what make the world work. The idea of leaving the boys to fend for themselves then just seemed to fit with what I’d imagine would happen post-war. I mean, can you see anyone wanting Slytherin four months after the Battle of Hogwarts?

2) Was Snake Bites an easy sequel to come up with from Lion, Eagle, Badger, Snake?
Yes, pretty much – quite a lot of Neal and Greg’s characters and actions are drawn from my experiences of teaching and living in a boarding school, whilst I do have to admit to having wanted to draw some of the more canonical OCs into my work to see if it could gather wider reading appeal: OCs never seem to attract the casual reader like some other plots can do. I was torn, though (and still am) between this and “Snakes and Ladders”, the story of the boys’ Second Year, both of which are currently 7 chapters long. I can’t tell you anything about that one, though, without wrecking LEBS!

3) Which characters from your stories are your favorite and why?
Boring answer alert – it has to be Greg. They’re all focused on him as the central character (with a lot of help from his friends), but everything ultimately revolves around his traits that he’s the kind of boy who won’t sit back and watch things unfold, but will go out and make things happen. I’ve taught a few kids like this, and they are fantastic to have around, because you just know they’re going to find a way to make you smile, even if it’s just through being who they are. He brings the others along with him, too – that year group would be great to teach!

4) I love Lion, Eagle, Badger, Snake. What inspired you to write about your OC Characters and including more main Next Gen characters?
Mainly real life! I’ve often heard that you write best about what you know, and a lot of the plots and details that come in to LEBS as the story evolves draw on aspects of life that I’ve studied, or found myself heavily involved in, and places that I love. Greg’s born in Devon, and the OCs in Snake Bites come from Oxford and Ascot, places which I think I know well enough to capture with the necessary detail to hold the reality. The Next Gen characters are a bit of a Slytherin trick to see if more people will read it if it mentions Albus... that and the fact that the DH2 film epilogue irritates the backside off me (there’s less cardboard in the art department), and I need a different mental image of it...

5) Do you have any future stories coming up?
Well, I expect Snake Bites and Snakes and Ladders will take the best part of the next two years to complete, given the amount of free time I don’t have to write with, but after that I intend to craft a few one-shots looking at several of the supporting characters’ backstories. Hopefully they’ll fit in with some of the story challenges that I’ve seen around. I don’t plan on getting to a stage where I am fighting off plot bunnies!

1) If you looked into the Mirror of Erised what would you see and why?
I think I’m lucky enough right now to have one of the best jobs in the world, and I’ve never really found myself wanting anything that I’ve not just been able to go and do... so I suppose I would hope that 20 years down the line, I’ve a family of my own and a kid like Greg.

2) What would your Boggart be if you stood facing it?
I’ve often wondered that, and struggled for a decent answer. My biggest fear is dogs, irrationally so, and it’s been that way since I was about four... but I am a long way towards conquering that now (Cesar Millan helped). I suppose my other fears would be letting my students down, though, so the boggart would probably be a big, snarling, mastiff, with blood dripping from its jaws... ugh. I think I might take a trick from Ron’s book, too, and get the blighter on roller skates.

3) If you HAD to be in ANY other house which would it be and why?
Ravenclaw. I hate being beaten in anything cerebral!

4) Do you have a favorite Ship?
HMS Dragon. Oh, those ships? Afraid not – I have never really been able to get myself into this kind of thing – although that’s not to say I’m not happy to read good fics that centre around a relationship, particularly if it’s done well (like your Neville/Hannah), and support rather than detract from the plotline. Hogwarts isn’t Hollyoaks. I can’t read non-canonical ships (e.g. Dramione...), period.

5) Favorite/Least Favorite Character of the Series? Book? Movie?
I think Oliver Wood probably shades it as my favourite character because I see him as being rather close to my personality and character, particularly when it comes to dealing with defeat. Least favourite? Well, I suppose that depends if you mean someone I disliked (in which case Umbridge and Skeeter take the cake, but is a brilliant character for all that) or someone whose character arc feels incomplete – I suppose we never really find out what really went on with Stan Shunpike, do we? As for the films, it’s too hard to pick a single favourite as so many of the actors are phenomenal, but as already mentioned, the epilogue does my head in... and Albus Potter in particular.

Edited by Sheriff, 06 May 2012 - 10:45 PM.

#4 Gabriella Hunter

Gabriella Hunter

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hey, I thought I'd come over here and ask you a few questions! Surprise, surprise! :D
1) Did creating the world for Lion, Eager, Badger and Snake give you some trouble?
2) What sort of things inspired you to create such a different imagining for a group of Slytherin boys after the War?
3) How much time did it take for you to create the new world for your story, regarding the lack of Slytherins in Greg's year and the addition of Muggle-borns being in the House?
4) What topic did you strike in the story that you wished you hadn't or could go back and change?
5) Who's your favorite Weasley?
6) Will you ever write a story that is, gulp, centered for girls? Perhaps a fluff? Just curious, no pressure! :D (Or is it...?)
7) Have you fed your basilisk lately?
8) What story do you wish that you had written?
9) Favorite spell from the books/movies?
10) Worst thing that happened to you while writing or coming up with an idea?
11) Just a random question: What's your favorite type of music?
That's all that I could come up with so far but I might be back to bug you later! Be frightened of that! :D

Gabriella Hunter

#5 Sheriff

Sheriff

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

1) Did creating the world for Lion, Eager, Badger and Snake give you some trouble?
Not really. I don't think there is too much creativity involved in a lot of the imagery in the story - JKR has obviously done much of the donkey work in imagining the Hogwarts universe, and the other aspects of magical intrigue have been unashamedly stolen from Celtic and Devonian/Cornish folklore. I love that part of Britain and will read anything I can get my hands on about its history and mythology, so this hasn't been too much more of a task than going with what I know!

2) What sort of things inspired you to create such a different imagining for a group of Slytherin boys after the War?
A short attention span, for one. I hate cliché, and I was sick of reading all the stereotypical interpretation of Slytherin meaning evil. That's nonsense. There is no canon basis for it. The Slytherin characteristics are ambition, cunning, intelligence, resourcefulness, and the ability to get things done. The world works because of Slytherin traits, like it or not, and I wanted to find a way to illustrate this.

3) How much time did it take for you to create the new world for your story, regarding the lack of Slytherins in Greg's year and the addition of Muggle-borns being in the House?
I can't remember what single trigger it was that set off the idea. I know I wanted things to be about Quidditch primarily (why, I can't remember: JKR is right, it's a pain to write because it's hopeless at carrying a storyline or narrative because it's fundamentally all about that snitch, hence the reason I tore up the rulebook) and the only way to get a first-year into a side was to have selection isses, logically caused by lack of students, logically caused by no one in their right mind wanting to sort into Slytherin. It all rather fell into place from there, with a lot of the supporting cast growing osmotically as I wrote them - I never planned on Glyndwr, but the story couldn't function without him.

4) What topic did you strike in the story that you wished you hadn't or could go back and change?
The single topic that has given me the most second thoughts has been the boys' language. It's the difference between an M rating and a 15+ or even conceivably a 12+, but I've stuck to the four-letter-words because that's the language that boys that age use, and it keeps the underlying darkness across much of the storyline. Joshua Tregeagle's story was tough to write, too, but you haven't come across him yet so I shan't play spoilers.

5) Who's your favorite Weasley?
Louis. So much potential and so little canon constraint. Obviously this does result in teenage girls writing him as a metrosexual more often than not, but if the author lifts their mind above the gutter, then his genetic make-up means that, for me, he's an incredibly interesting kid.

6) Will you ever write a story that is, gulp, centered for girls? Perhaps a fluff? Just curious, no pressure! (Or is it...?)
I doubt it... mainly on the grounds that it would probably be rubbish. "Write what you know" is always sound advice, and as I have been a boy, and much of my work is with boys, it's their behavioural patterns and quirks that I can capture the most easily. Obviously if I start getting a little more luck personally this might change... There are more girls in the two sequels to LEBS, but they're still boy-centric.

7) Have you fed your basilisk lately?
Yes. It's been gorging on leftover cricket teas all summer. For some reason the kids will not touch (i) fruit or (ii) tuna sandwiches.

8) What story do you wish that you had written?
The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper. Like LEBS (and a lot of the other stuff I've written) it's heavily rooted in British mythology and legend and is set in some beautiful places in England and Wales. There's one scene that's set in the Thames Valley on a snow-bound midwinter's eve, and a couple of years ago I found myself literally a mile down the road, on that date, with the place covered in snow. It was magical. Read it. After you finish LEBS.

9) Favorite spell from the books/movies?
Oooh, tough. Imperio would save a lot of hard work in convincing people that I'm right in the first place, Muffliato would have plenty of uses, the Protean charm has incredible possibilities, and McGonagall's "Piertotum Locomotor" is just awesome.

10) Worst thing that happened to you while writing or coming up with an idea?
I have fallen asleep on my laptop numerous times, often waking up to see that my unconscious face has mashed several pages of Twilight out on the keyboard. Otherwise I would imagine it's the typical cruise down the outside lane of the motorway, thinking about the next plot point, and not paying enough attention to the road ahead. Fortunately I have good brakes.

11) Just a random question: What's your favorite type of music?
Indie/Rock/Alternative. Anything with electric guitars and drums. Favourite group = James. Favourite song = Elephant Stone by the Stone Roses.

#6 Gabriella Hunter

Gabriella Hunter

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

HEY!!!!! I thought I'd come back and ask you more questions since I haven't in a while!!! Annoyed yet? NO?! Darn. :yahoo:

1) Okay, I was wondering about this the last time I'd read LEBS but how long did it take you to finish the entire story? Its pretty amazing and long!
2) What made you want to write FF's and what do you love the most about them?
3) Do you get bad nightmares?
4) What do you love about writing in general and what do you hate?
5) Favorite thing to do when you're not writing and being all awesome?
6) Do you have a weird ritual before you start a story or finish one? I usually just stare blankly at my computer screen wondering how I'd made it so far in the first place. :twitch:
7) Will you ever do a story with the Weasley/Potter kids?
8) Who is your favorite Hogwarts teacher and why?
9) What House do you dislike the most? I know you're a Slytherin so please don't say Hufflepuff! That's MY House! Hahahaha. :blushing:
10) How long do you think you'll be writing fanfics?

That's all for now! I'll be back.... :rotflol:

Gabriella Hunter

#7 Sheriff

Sheriff

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

1) Okay, I was wondering about this the last time I'd read LEBS but how long did it take you to finish the entire story?
Discounting the five-year hiatus between the first 1.5 chapters and the rest, probably about 15 months, in fits and starts in and around work commitments. It was about three times as long as I'd intended on it being; the characters just grew and developed and the plot snowballed!

2) What made you want to write FF's and what do you love the most about them?
Honestly can't remember what it was specifically that motivated me to start writing FanFiction - probably the idea taking root was the most crucial aspect. I enjoy the ability to experiment and learn as a writer, and the feedback in the community from those of us writing on a similar theme.

3) Do you get bad nightmares?
The last nightmare I can remember was about 20 years ago as a little kid, when I was eaten by a giant armadillo in the back garden,

4) What do you love about writing in general and what do you hate?
(+) Escapism; ability to create your own universe; chance to explore challenging situations and empathise; control
(-) The moment when you have no idea what you're actually trying to get down on the page; unresolved plot holes and Deus Ex Machina

5) Favorite thing to do when you're not writing and being all awesome?
Sport (specifically cricket), walking/visiting historic sites (hence much of the inspiration for the pseudo-historical crossovers), sketching.

6) Do you have a weird ritual before you start a story or finish one?
Turn on computer; open Microsoft Word. Not particularly superstitious... until it comes to pre-match ritual before sport... which is a little bit weird. It's the same as Dwight Howard's. Google it.

7) Will you ever do a story with the Weasley/Potter kids?
Well, if you'd finish LEBS and get onto the sequel(s) then you'd discover it! Snake Bites, currently 17 chapters in, deals with Albus' first year.

8) Who is your favorite Hogwarts teacher and why?
Ah, not sure. I recognise rather more Severus Snape in my own personality than I'd perhaps rather recognise; McGonagall gets the combination between strictness and camaraderie spot-on; Lupin is an excellent educator. Some combination of that!

9) What House do you dislike the most?
I don't have any particular prejudice - as the Sorting Hat says (and indeed the title implies) in LEBS, each of the four Houses have their strengths and their weaknesses, and we all have qualities that identify with each House. I've written key characters in all four Houses, positive and negative all... in fact, I think the only House in which I haven't planted a villain is Hufflepuff!

10) How long do you think you'll be writing fanfics?
Until I start getting paid to write Original Fiction instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users