Questions About My Story

27 replies to this topic

#1 Arithmancy_Wiz

Arithmancy_Wiz

The Site Wiz

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

If you have a SPECIFIC question for the staff regarding a particular chapter and/or story you wish to post on the archives, please post here. A member of staff will then edit your post, letting you know which of us to contact regarding your question. After your question has been answered, your post will be deleted.

IMPORTANT: You should only contact a member of staff regarding your story AFTER you are sure your question cannot be answered by reviewing any of the rules or tutorials linked to below. You should not be posting, asking the staff to review your entire chapter prior to submission or rate/warn your story for you.

Terms of Service
Site Rules
Staff Tutorials
FAQs
Informational Blogs

set by hayley jade @TDA

Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

Author's Page (12+) / @HPFF Twitter (12+)

#2 potterfan310

potterfan310

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

Hi,

In my latest story, my OC's sister; Chloe who is 17 wishes to marry her boyfriend Lorcan (also 17). I've looked it up and you need to be 16/17 with parental approval in the UK and at 18 you do not need it. Lorcan has permission from his parents but Chloe doesn't as her mum isn't fond of her 'weird' boyfriend.

Chloe comes up with a plan and asks her mother to sign a new 'Hogsmeade' permission form as she 'lost her old one'. As she asks her mum when she is busy she doesn't really read it and signs it anyway as she trusts her daughter.  The form actually stated that her mother gave permission

Is this okay?

Thanks in advance :happy:

As long as both parties enter into the marriage willingly (and without negative consequences if they do not wish to be married) and both parties are over 16 and neither is in a position of power, then this is fine. -tmwtti

Edited by tell_me_what_the_truth_is, 05 February 2014 - 01:35 AM.

:Gryffindor: GO LIONS!! :Gryffindor:

Bravery in our blood, determination in our hearts!

HouseCupSigbyElenia_zps48ef86db.gif

Amazing Gryffie sig set by Elenia @ TDA!

HPFF(15+) MTA (12+)

#3 MargaretLane

MargaretLane

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

I wonder if I could pm somebody about some substance abuse references in the chapter I'm writing. Thanks in advance.

Edited by tell_me_what_the_truth_is, 05 February 2014 - 10:35 PM.
You can PM me

250l56r.gif

Nano Mammy to 1917farmgirl, VioletBlade, AliceDancer orderofthephoenix and Akussa.

#4 ohmymerlin

ohmymerlin

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 635 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

Hello staffers!

I was just curious if I could reference the Playstation game, Fifa, in my chapter? And if I can, would I just cite it under EA Sports?

Thanks in advance! :happy:

Yes, that's fine. -tmwtti

Edited by tell_me_what_the_truth_is, 09 February 2014 - 01:20 PM.

beautiful set by emmaweasley!||call me kayla!

hufflepuffforhousecupanimation_zps8096d0

hpff||review thread||mta (all 12+)

TBBAYMBWHAPABYHDBWNOHPWHT!

#5 TidalDragon

TidalDragon

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

Howdy!

I am a new writer on the archive and having read the rules, FAQs, and tutorials, I'm still trying to feel my way to the boundary regarding allowable violence in a Mature story. I was hoping a validator might be willing to look at a brief synopsis of my concerns and/or the two paragraphs at issue in an upcoming chapter to make sure they are not over the line.

Thanks!

Edited by WeasleyTwinMom, 15 February 2014 - 04:31 AM.
You can PM me, I'll look it over. -WTM

SIGNATURE BY: ELENIA @ TDA

hc_2014_sig_zps9c0ab74c.gif

My Stories (M) | Ask Me Anything (12+) | Free Feedback (12+)

HOUSE CUP 2014 - BIOBDIOH - LIONS IN PURSUIT

#6 Leonore

Leonore

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

Hi!

I read the relevant tutorial, but I'd like to PM someone with regard to eating disorders in the current chapter I'm writing.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by tell_me_what_the_truth_is, 16 February 2014 - 11:20 AM.
You can PM me

My HPFF Author Page (12+ to M)                       My MTA (12+)

sXRIrly_zpsdf18ff04.gif?t=1403184573

Celsa sub conveniant aquila sapientes mentes ~ let wise minds gather under the proud eagle

:Ravenclaw:              Ravenclaw sig by patronus_charm, DA icon by emmaweasley                 :Ravenclaw:

#7 Dangos

Dangos

New student

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

Hi,

I have recently edited one of my stories and have checked it and the group of stories it appears in periodically, but, um, the publicly accessible view of my story has changes appearing, although it's not moving to the front page.

I edited another story and it's happening there too, but this problem hasn't happened before when I edited my stories.

Basically, is this normal?   :unsure:

Sorry if it is, I'm just kinda confused.

Thank you!

Edited by WeasleyTwinMom, 05 March 2014 - 05:42 PM.
Yes, this is normal. You'll see the changes live when you're logged in, but other readers will not. If you are viewing the stories sorted by New Chapter, it won't show it bumped. -WTM

#8 kenpo

kenpo

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:06 AM

Hey, I was wondering if it's okay to have a sort of epilogue type thing at the end of the chapter. The story's chapters are titled after parts of a play (Act I, Intermission, Act II), and I was hoping to put a little POV switch at the end to wrap it up, called "Curtain Call". It would be less than 500 words (probably closer to 200 or 300). 

I'm just not sure if putting a page break and centered text that says "Curtain Call" would make it technically two chapters in one.

If this is unclear, I could PM the "Curtain Call" to someone.

Edited by WeasleyTwinMom, 05 March 2014 - 05:41 PM.
Yes, that's fine to do. -WTM

celsa sub conveniant aquila sapientes mentes::Let wise minds gather under the proud Eagle

:Ravenclaw: Ravenclaw for the House Cup! :Ravenclaw:

sXRIrly.gif

My Author Page (12+/M)  House Cup set by patronus_charm

#9 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:35 AM

Hello,

I need some clarification regarding the rules about glorifying self-mutilation. Could I PM a validator with a description of my story to make sure it's OK? I'd rather not post the details here because I'm not sure it's a 12+ discussion.

Thanks in advance! You all are always so helpful with my last-minute questions! :)

Edited by WeasleyTwinMom, 05 March 2014 - 05:43 PM.
Definitely not 12+! You can PM me. -WTM

stories (12+ to M)
sXRIrly.gif
clawsome set by patronus_charm

#10 kenpo

kenpo

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:17 AM

Another question! (I am writing on a deadline and can't afford a rejection!)
Could I PM someone about a bit of poetry? It is 2 lines, but there's internal rhyming so it sort of seems like four lines. I also don't know how to give credit for it without giving away personal info.

Edited by WeasleyTwinMom, 12 March 2014 - 02:34 PM.
Send me a PM. -WTM

celsa sub conveniant aquila sapientes mentes::Let wise minds gather under the proud Eagle

:Ravenclaw: Ravenclaw for the House Cup! :Ravenclaw:

sXRIrly.gif

My Author Page (12+/M)  House Cup set by patronus_charm

#11 Ianthe

Ianthe

New student

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:35 AM

I was wondering about the movie crossovers rule in the site rules. Would a fic using the premise of a movie be acceptable, as long as it isn't simply copying the film scene by scene? For instance, could I use the premise of Mr. and Mrs. Smith and have Scorpius and Rose as assassins for competing organizations who, unaware of each others true vocation, end up married to each other, but who then end up taking down their employers for being corrupt (meaning the premise is the same, but the plot would move in a different direction), or would that be too close to the original story?

Thank you!

Edited by WeasleyTwinMom, 12 March 2014 - 02:35 PM.
That sounds like using the plot to me. If it is Disney, absolutely not. If it is not Disney-owned, then it depends on how you write it, but you should be okay. Make sure to credit the writers/producers of the movie! -WTM

#12 Sarah the Ravenclaw

Sarah the Ravenclaw

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

I just wrote a one-shot, and submitted it, and I gave it extra warnings mostly because of the food warnings still being left up. However, I'm not really sure how to rate it in general. It suggests and hints at self harm in a few places, and I know it needs the sensitive topic/issue/theme warning, but aside from that I'm not sure what other ratings it would need, and whether to mark it 15+ or M (I have it set at M right now because I didn't know what the food warnings were and I just wanted to be safe). The hints are really the worst the story gets.

Thanks!

References to self-harm require a Mature rating and warnings for Strong Violence and Sensitive Topic. If it's clear what you're referring to, you will need those. The food warnings should disappear when you edit the story shell. If they do not, please contact me and I'll fix it. -WTM

Edited by WeasleyTwinMom, 05 April 2014 - 11:32 PM.

Sarah

RAVENCLAW for the HOUSE CUP 2014

Posted Image

house cup set by patronus_charm@tda

My Stories [12+ to M] | TDA [15+]

#13 TidalDragon

TidalDragon

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

I was wondering if I could PM a staffer/validater (validator?) with approximately 500 words, to get their opinion on whether it is in bounds for a Mature rating with the Scenes of a Sexual Nature warning. I have tried comparing it to the tutorial and am fairly confident it should be okay, but I've got a challenge deadline looming and a few more chapters I'll to submit after this, so I can't really afford a rejection without ditching the chapter for the time being. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Edited by unwritten_curse, 05 April 2014 - 10:48 PM.
Taken care of -UC

SIGNATURE BY: ELENIA @ TDA

hc_2014_sig_zps9c0ab74c.gif

My Stories (M) | Ask Me Anything (12+) | Free Feedback (12+)

HOUSE CUP 2014 - BIOBDIOH - LIONS IN PURSUIT

#14 Lululuna

Lululuna

Inquisitorial Squad

• Prefect
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

Hello! :) I was wondering if I could PM a staffer two short excerpts from my story to see if they are alright to post with regards to the Violence rules. One is about extermination during the Holocaust and the other depicts a murder, but I can make them both more vague or more implied if necessary. They seemed okay with the rules and tutorial but I just wanted to check. I would be using the Strong Violence advisory and Sensitive Topic/Theme/Issue, as well as a Mature rating. 

Thank you so much! 

Edited by toomanycurls, 19 April 2014 - 09:37 PM.
You can message me

slytherinsig_zpscd7be9c7.gif

Author Page [M]||Wonderful set by Wistful. 

Go Slytherin!

#15 Ravenclaw333

Ravenclaw333

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hi,

In the next chapter of my story one of my characters has a panic attack. The story is already rated M and I will add a Sensitive Issue/Topic/Theme warning and a trigger warning for anxiety/panic attacks at the beginning of the chapter. Should I PM the chapter to a staffer to make sure it's okay? (I'm a TA, so it won't go through validation)

20pc3zo.jpg

house cup set by patronus_charm @ TDA

hpff | tda | mta

all links 12+

Reply to this topic

You can make 10 more posts today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users