4 replies to this topic

#1 The Empty Frame

The Empty Frame

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:08 AM

I didn't see any topics that asked this, but if I missed one, feel free to delete this!

I spend a lot of time browsing through the archives, and I read a lot of stories. Sometimes RL gets in the way and you have to leave in the middle of a story, and I was thinking it would be nice to be able to see your history (what you've read) so you can find your place again easily.

Now I know you can do this on your web browser. But for me, when I look at my history, all the HPFF sites say "harrypotterfanfiction.com :: 74,000 Harry Potter fanfiction stories and podcasts" The website title in my history has no information about the story or chapter it was, so it's hard to find the correct one. And if you read a lot of stories, like I do, it's a lot of time and work to sift through every link in your history.

I know you can also add the story to your favorites, or subscribe. But that's also a problem (at least for me), because you don't necessarily want to favorite every story that you read -- and if you do, then you end up having a million favorites and once again, it's difficult to sift through them all.

So my idea is to have a function within the "Your Account" on the archives, where you can see the stories you've read recently -- whether it's the last 15 you read, or the ones you've read in the last week. It could be as simple as the list of story titles, or it could be a little more elaborate and include the chapters you read, or even just the last chapter you read.

Or in lieu of that, would it be possible to have the website title (what shows up as the name on the browser tab) have the title of the story, so it's easier to find in the browser's history?

I am the first to admit that I know nothing about coding, or server space, or anything like that, so I don't know if this is even feasible. But I really do think it would be helpful, if it's possible.

#2 Jenna822

Jenna822

Sixth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

An alternate suggestion for your problem; at least for the meanwhile:
Create a folder in your bookmarks specifically for this, then bookmark the chapter you leave off on and title it the story name/chapter number. :)

#3 pennyardelle

pennyardelle

The Eloquent Bard

• Prefect
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

I just ran across an add-on for Firefox that might appeal to some people for this purpose. I haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on how well it works, but maybe if someone else wants to try it, they could report back. The add-on is called Read It Later (Mozilla.org - 12+), and it allows you to create a reading list that you can even access from mobile devices without an internet connection. Might appeal to people more for the purposes of fanfic because it's a "Reading List", rather than just part of your bookmarks.

set by justonemorefic @ TDA
Posted Image

{those who have thrice defied him}
^author page (OotP, US ed., 841)^

#4 Elenia

Elenia

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

I just ran across an add-on for Firefox that might appeal to some people for this purpose. I haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on how well it works, but maybe if someone else wants to try it, they could report back. The add-on is called Read It Later (Mozilla.org - 12+), and it allows you to create a reading list that you can even access from mobile devices without an internet connection. Might appeal to people more for the purposes of fanfic because it's a "Reading List", rather than just part of your bookmarks.

It's actually a good add-on, I've used it for a while now. It's really easy to use, and it's cool that you can sync the list with your phone, read stuff without internet and access your reading list from any computer. Just one click and the chapter gets saved on your list and another click when your done, so it gets deleted.

Hanna

QiLjOhD.gif

BIOBDIOH!

Trying not to love you (m) || Gallery (15+) || The Burning One (m)

#5 watchoutfornargles

watchoutfornargles

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

I think this would be a good idea, but I personally just read until i finish, no matter how long it takes :) Another thing I do is just leave windows open with all the chapters.
Posted Image
by Amoretti@TDA
Rose/Scorpius:Fall For You (M) and Words Unspoken (15+) || Ginny/Harry: Someone Like You (M) || Lily/James:I Haven't Forgotten About You (15+)

Reply to this topic

You can make 10 more posts today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users