12 replies to this topic

#1 accioHPFF

accioHPFF

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Hi, I'm Scott :)

I've been around the forums and archives since the start of September 2011, and reading fanfiction here for a little longer.

I love to read a lot over on the archives and I've finally started reviewing more of what I read. I've got a few stories on the archives myself, it's all right... here (12+).

Any questions? Post away! (My answers will undoubtedly by boring, useless, or a combination of both, but we'll see). :)

Posted Image

amazing set by Camila! | Author Page (12+) | Currently Away/Unavailable

#2 SamMalfoy93

SamMalfoy93

Fifth Year

• Prefect
  • 850 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

Hey, Scott!

Unfortunately, I only have a couple of questions, because I'm about to go to sleep. But here you go:

What's your favorite pairing/era to read and/or write?

What to do you prefer to write about, genre-wise?

Do you think chapters should be a certain length or do you just write until you feel you're at the best place to finish?

Sam. :)

Sam TheHeirOfSlytherin (12+-M) S.D.W.W.S
256fp1h.jpg
Set by aigue-marine @ tda.

#3 accioHPFF

accioHPFF

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

Hi Sam! :)

1. What's your favourite pairing/era to read and/or write?

To read first. I'm not sure, I typically read stories where pairing are more in the background, but I like pairings like JamesII/OC, and Dom/OC because there is so much diversity between each story. I don't mind reading stories with pairings of Marauder/OC or James/Lily, but I'm not too big a fan of Hogwarts/Post-Hogwarts pairing.

To write? I've only written two pairings in stories so far, and they are Rose/Scorpius and Narcissa/Rabastan. The second pairing is a really interesting one to me personally, and after my attempt at writing a Narcissa/Rabastan story for NaNo 2011, I may end up trying to write another. But yeah, so far, there aren't a lot of pairings that I've written about.

2. What do you prefer to write about, genre-wise?

Dark/Horror. It is definitely my favourite genre to write. I don't know why, but I find it the easiest thing to write. Perhaps it's because you can tell two very different sides to the story usually, and this, alongside the ability to make people think about things (if written well), usually makes for interesting reading. I enjoy reading those types of stories. There are so many topics and themes to cover; you never end up short of ideas!

3. Do you think chapters should be a certain length or do you just write until you feel you're at the best place to finish?

I'm not in a great place to comment on this. I always write exceptionally short chapters, although it is something that I certainly want to improve. I don't think a chapter should be a certain number of words- I think that it should end when it's ready to be concluded. Short chapters can be really good at building suspenseful, powerful stories. Generally, I'll read a chapter whatever it's length, whether it's 500 words, or more than 12,500 words- it all depends on content. :)

Edited by accioHPFF, 14 February 2012 - 12:16 AM.

Posted Image

#4 ReillyJade

ReillyJade

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

Hi Scott! :)

I'll ask the obvious question: writing preferences aside, who is your favorite character from the series? What makes them interesting to you? Was there a single moment in the books that made you fall in love with them, or was it a slow build-up? I say writing preferences aside because I know for some people, like me, their favorite character in the series isn't necessarily the one they like to write about the most.

~Reilly

Edited by ReillyJade, 14 February 2012 - 12:43 AM.

m2kYquT.png

Icon/Signature by lucky.clover @ TDA!

Read, Ask, Share.
(All 12+)

#5 accioHPFF

accioHPFF

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

Hi Reilly! :)

4. Favourite character from the HP series? Why?

There are two, McGonagall and Bellatrix. I think McGonagall is a really great character, she's the personification of Gryffindor- she's so loyal, courageous, and fights for what she believes in. My favourite scenes with her? The Career's Advice meeting with Harry in Order of the Phoenix, where she grew increasingly impatient with Umbridge's interruption. I also really liked the stand-off with Snape in the Deathly Hallows, and although the films weren't true to the books, I loved the duel in the DH2 film. I think Dame Maggie Smith's talent certainly helped, and I can't imagine any better actress to play the role.

Bellatrix is the other favourite character that I have. I'm not sure why, but I think the way that she was both described and portrayed build her into this really amazing character. Again, I think Helena Bonham-Carter did a wonderful job of creating her character in the film.

Edited by accioHPFF, 14 February 2012 - 01:04 AM.

Posted Image

#6 cupcake_addict

cupcake_addict

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Hello, Scott. I've got a few questions for you:
  • Which perspective do you prefer when it comes to reading/writing, e.g. first person, third person, etc.? Why?
  • How do you begin a story? Do you prefer to build up to the action or jump right into it?
  • Do you plan a story out, or do you make it up as you go along?
Thanks! Marcie :happy:

stories (mature) | review thread (twelve plus) | HPFF blog (twelve plus) icons by mallowz@lj

#7 TheGoldenKneazle

TheGoldenKneazle

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

SCOTT! Because you're awesome ;)

- How do you create your characters? Do they walk into your head, or do you spend a long time working on them and their backstories?
- Which warning are you most guilty of having to use?
- Which authors (HPFF and non-HPFF) inspire you most?
- What is your favourite writing implement?

~Lottie :)

ZTzkstF.png.doDrQfm.png.OFiOsPs.png
Moi! [12+ to M] I have something of everything!
icons by violet || QTR editor & Quidditch ref

keepcalmandwriteon,wc,pc,days.png

#8 Guest_dirtydeedsdonedirtcheap_Guest

Guest_dirtydeedsdonedirtcheap_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hey, Scott! I'm here to bug you and ask you a few questions! :D

So, here they are:

1. What's the best thing about your house?
2. What makes you a Gryffindor?
3. Do you ever think you would be in another house?
4. Have you recorded a podcast yourself yet?!
5. Do you think it's harder to write something up and post it on the archives or do you think it's harder to write something and record it because you're making the characters come alive with a real voice?
6. What is your favorite month?
7. Do you write original fics?
8. Have you ever participate in NaNoWrimo?

That's all for now Scott!

#9 accioHPFF

accioHPFF

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Wow! I didn't see all of these accumulated! Sorry for the slow reply guys!

5. Which perspective do you prefer when it comes to reading/writing, e.g. first person, third person, etc.? Why?

I prefer third person all the way. I can read first person stories, although I much prefer third person. I don't always feel like I connect with the character in a first person story, so I guess that's one reason. To write, I definitely prefer third person; in fact I don't think I've written much in first. One thing I'm not such a huge fan of, is first person fics with multiple POVs. Some are fantastic, but some just don't work for me.

6. How do you begin a story? Do you prefer to build up to the action or jump right into it?

I think that's a really interesting question, and one I've not really considered so much. When I think about what I've written, I tend to start with some action or drama, even if it's not the main action in the story. I think I must be quite impatient about writing the action bits.

7. Do you plan a story out, or do you make it up as you go along?

This question's easy for me to answer: improvise. I have a general idea, with a few dates to check it's possible, and then I jump straight into it. I don't plan for anything, ever, so I tend to start writing and see. :)

8. How do you create your characters? Do they walk into your head, or do you spend a long time working on them and their backstories?

I don't plan much about characters, and the only characters that I've had to create backstories and personalities for are probably the next-gens or other minor canon characters. I have an impression of what they appear like to me, and I think I just take off from there, building them up as I think of things about them. Perhaps that isn't the best answer, nor the best approach, but I don't have extensive notes on characters. In fact, I research as I think up a basic plot, and then check details when I need to. Apart from that, the character's pretty much walk into my head.

9. Which warning are you most guilty of having to use?

Well, all of my stories have Strong Violence and Sensitive Topic/Issue/Theme, and the one that doesn't have Strong Violence probably will soon. :p I tend to write a lot of Dark stories, and mainly I like to write about Dark Wizards and Death Eaters, and their actions. Naturally, none of these are very nice, and so that's where all of my warnings are used up. haha.

10. Which authors (HPFF and non-HPFF) inspire you most?

Inspirational authors. I find all authors very inspirational, as they have worked hard on their stories, although naturally, some inspire me more than others. I think JK Rowling is the obvious choice, and she does inspire me, otherwise I wouldn't be here. I also really like Suzanne Collins' "The Hunger Games" trilogy, and am finding lots of ideas coming from that.

As for HPFF authors, I think there are so many to choose from. I find ACrules (Helen) writes a lot of really great stories, and I think she's a really talented author. I also like the work of LovlyRita (Ashley), not only because she's a really great writer, but she has also started a zombie story, which isn't something very common on the archives. I think writing something different and unique, that you want to write is a really brilliant thing to do.

11. What is your favourite writing implement?

Favourite thing to write with? I think I'd have to say a ballpoint pen. I like to scribble down ideas, and they really enable me to get my ideas down onto paper quickly. Also, I can always find one lying around (I lose hundreds of them in my schoolbag, on my desk, coffee table etc.) and so they're really convenient too. :)

12. What's the best thing about your house?

Best thing about my house? Here, on HPFF, it's a wonderful community to be a part of, and I really like the activities in the Common Room! Also, everybody is so friendly :) Generally, I like Gryffindor because it's the house that I would truly fit into Hogwarts were to exist. I don't know what to say; it's just an amazing community of people. :)

13. What makes you a Gryffindor?

What makes me a Gryffindor? Well I think that I'm quite vocal and proactive in things. I think a large part of that is having the courage not to worry about what people think. There also seems to be the more unofficial trait of being mischievous, which I definitely have. I'm generally laid back, and am usually joking around about something, so I think I suit Gryffindor well.

14. Do you ever think you would be in another house?

Yes, I guess. I mean, I'm usually placed in Gryffindor, but sometimes do get placed into Slytherin. I can understand why in a sense, because I can be resourceful and plot things, but generally, I think Gryffindor's the place where I'm most suited. :) Interestingly, I never get sorted into Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. Well, I guess it's not that interesting, but still...

15. Have you recorded a podcast yourself yet?!

I haven't! I am in the process of recording a story by Levana, who's the other moderator at HPPC, but I haven't got around to sorting everything out. I did appear in the HPPC 5th Anniversary podcast, and have done a few of the unrecorded livechats, but in terms of recording a podcast myself? Not yet, although I will be doing so in the very near future.

16. Do you think it's harder to write something up and post it on the archives or do you think it's harder to write something and record it because you're making the characters come alive with a real voice?

Definitely recording it and getting the character's voices right. I think that type of thing is something I find difficult to get right, and have often recorded it several times, only to delete what I had because it didn't sound right. I seem to struggle putting things on the archive too (an update should be up soon :p) but it's definitely easier than writing and recording something.

17. What is your favorite month?

Favourite month? I think I like July/August the best. It's typically nice weather, so I feel a lot more free because I don't need to hide indoors from the rain. I like to go into the fields and woods in the summer, and it's always great fun. I also have a lot more time to do things in summer. :) Besides July/August, December can be a good month too, because everybody's typically very festive and happy.

18. Do you write original fics?

I used to. I used to have a lot of ideas and inspiration for original ideas, although this seems to have vanished more now. I see a lot of people talking about their original fics, but for reasons that I don't really know, I seem to have stopped writing original fiction. Although I lurk about a lot of the time, I usually have a thousand and one other things going on, now especially. Fitting writing time for an OF story in simply can't happen because the time isn't there. I'm amazing at procrastinating and forgetting work that I need to do. :p

19. Have you ever participate in NaNoWrimo?

Yes. I participated in NaNo2011, although the decision to do that came on November 1st at 3am. I was talking to people about what they were writing, and decided to jump into a story myself. I ended up writing a story about Narcissa Black whilst she was at school, and had to deal with her sister becoming increasingly involved with the Dark Arts, and Andromeda leaving to marry Ted. Towards the end of the story, she became close to Rabastan Lestrange. Also, I WON! I wrote about 52k by November 28th, and have proudly displayed the NaNo winner icon as my picture since.

:p

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE QUESTIONS! SORRY FOR NOT REPLYING STRAIGHT AWAY, BUT I ENJOYING ANSWERING THEM JUST NOW!

Edited by accioHPFF, 18 April 2012 - 11:37 PM.

Posted Image

#10 estelle longbottom

estelle longbottom

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:35 AM

Hello Scott! My name's Mitzi, and I have a few questions to ask you. :)

1. Why do you like writing fanfictionassuming that you like to write fanfiction? :laugh:
2. Do you have a favorite author (HPFF author or OF author)? If so, why do you like that specific author?
3. Which story of yours is the one you had the most trouble writing? How did you overcome the obstacles, if there were any?
4. If you could be any character in Harry Potter, who would it be? Why would you want to be that person?

Thanks!

Edited by estelle longbottom, 06 May 2012 - 03:41 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

gorgeous icons by stargazer @lj

#11 Guest_Shortie_Guest

Guest_Shortie_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hey Scott :D There's just one question I'd like to ask.

What's your signature? In your stories of course. Do you have a deliberate signature or is it something you've realized some time after you started writing? :)

#12 LovlyRita

LovlyRita

P.Da$hy, with a PhD in Slytherin Sass

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

HI SCOTT.

I can has questions for you.

1. You are really great at getting your point across in short, descriptive chapters. When you read stories do you prefer to read shorter chapters like yours or longer ones?

2. What is it about the Black sisters that you enjoy writing about?

3. I understand you're a big fan of a story called "Night Terrors" written by AccioRitola. What can you tell me about that story?

4. Do you find it more difficult to write things that aren't considered mature?

5. Now that you're a moderator, do you prefer the atmosphere of the forums more, or the archives?

6. Are you everrrrrr gonna update your authorpage?

7. Is #da3 #4lyfe?

That's all I've got!! Byeeeeee :)

UVu2dYF.png
GORGEOUS set by the AMAZING thatguy. at TDA!!!!  
*Read My Stories (12+)* *HPPC*
Selene is my favorite Slytherin. All hail Selene the Quiet One!

#13 blackballet

blackballet

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

Hey there! 

I just wanted to know if you were ever planning on writing a full-fledged novel. Do you ever think you'll have time? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users