8 replies to this topic

#1 magnolia_magic

magnolia_magic

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:54 AM

Hi! My name is magnolia_magic, but you can call me Maggie  :) I joined HPFF in late 2010, and have felt completely at home here ever since. My author page is growing as quickly as I can churn out updates (which sometimes isn't as fast as I would like), and I would love to hear any of your questions  :)

I'm developing quite the little Founders-verse, as you may have noticed. The stories are all connected to each other, though they can each be read as stand-alone pieces. If you'd like to read them chronologically, though, here is the order:

Guardian (12+)

A Fine Skylark (12+)

Down Comes the Night (15+)

You Won't Forget (15+)

My other stories tend to focus on the post-Hogwarts era, including two Dean/Luna oneshots and a short story collection about the Battle of Hogwarts and its aftermath. If you have thoughts about my work or anything you'd like to ask, please feel free! I'd love to hear from you!

Edited by long_live_luna_bellatrix, 30 July 2013 - 12:15 PM.
Requested

JulNo Word Count: 638/25000

hufflepuffforhousecupanimation_zpsf8b47a

LEGIT set by emmaweasley~down comes the night (15+)~author page (12+)

#2 apocalypse

apocalypse

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Hey Maggie! Wow, I just thought I'd come by and check out your MTA topic to see what was going on in here and I find it so lonely. :( I have some questions for you! :)

1) Firstly, the most important question, what inspires/inspired you to write?

2) When you get a new plot bunny and you decide to write it, how do you go about planning the entire story and deciding the plot details?

3) Which is your most favorite pairing to read?

4) Which is your most favorite pairing to write?

5) What kind of genres do you usually read?

6) If you ever wanted to write a cross-over, which fandom would you choose besides Harry Potter?

7) I love Down Comes the Night! How did you get the idea for that?

8) Which is your current favorite WIP for which you constantly check your favorites to see whether it has been updated? :p

Well, I can only think of these at the moment! I'll come back an ask some more when I think of them. :) Have fun with these! :D

-Cal

Cal - Away till June 2013

My Gallery (12+) | My Author Page (12+ to M)

#3 magnolia_magic

magnolia_magic

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:38 AM

Cal! Thanks so much for dusting the cobwebs off my MTA! I'm sending lots of love and appreciation your way :D And so many awesome questions! I'll get started:

1.) I have enjoyed writing for most of my life, since I was a little kid writing stories for grade school English class :p I think what draws me to writing is the fact that I can express myself so much better that way than through speech. Storytelling is a great tool for introverts like me to reach out to people, and I think that's one of the most wonderful things about writing.

2.) When it comes to planning a story out, I'm completely crazy about it. I write scenes in random order, put together outlines and change them constantly, and post chapters without a clue where I'm going to go next. I'm working on getting better at that, but for some reason I just have so much trouble making a coherent plan and sticking to it. And that can obviously create problems down the road :p

3.) I love to read a good Remus/Tonks story. I think they're a great couple, and there are a lot of awesome stories about them on the archives. But I steer clear of fics that deal with them during the final battle. Not that they aren't great stories...they're just too sad for me :(

4.) As far as writing goes, I love to do Dean/Luna. They are my all time favorite pairing, and I think they could have a lot of great stories to tell. I definitely look forward to exploring more of them in the future.

5.) I'm a huge romantic, so in order for me to stay interested in a story, there has to be an element of romance. I also tend to look for humor stories a lot :D

6.) Oh wow...I've actually never thought about this! But now that I really consider it, I'd love to work with the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it, but it deals with necromancy and the conflict between people who use it for good and evil. They're great books...I highly recommend checking them out!

7.) Hey thanks! I love the Founders era and had always wanted to write about it, and I also wanted to try my hand at something a little more dramatic than I was used to. I thought Helga and Salazar would make a really interesting couple: they have absolutely nothing in common, but they could have the potential to complete each other. And as for Helga being a Muggle-born, I'm not really sure how I came up with that. It just fit her...whenever I thought about Helga, I just knew that she came from a humble upbringing with Muggle parents.And it adds a bit more drama to her situation with the pureblood champion Salazar.

8.) Two come to mind right off the bat: Bathing in Roses by Celestie and With All Things by WitnessToItAll (both rated M). I won't give away what they're about, but I will say that they are both really precious romances :wub: They're so engaging and have such great characters...I always stalk them for updates!

Thank you so much for coming by, Cal! These were so much fun to answer, and this post just made my day :) You're the best, for sure!

--Mags

Edited by orderofthephoenix, 16 July 2012 - 12:41 AM.

#4 LupinandTonks14

LupinandTonks14

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

I've got some questions for you:

1. Who's your favourite Harry Potter character?

2. Which house would you like to be in?

3. What was your opinion of S.P.E.W.?

4. Whick is your favourite of the books/movies?

5. Harry/Ginny or Harry/Hermione?

Hope I lessened the loneliness here :)
Thank you to MagicalInk @ TDA for the gorgeous avatar! && Thanks to Swiss Miss @ TDA for the awesome siggy! :)
My Stories (12+ to M) Unforgiven (M)

Posted Image

#5 WeasleyTwins

WeasleyTwins

Sixth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hi Maggie! I figured I would pop in and ask you some questions! :happy:

1. Why is Dean/Luna your favorite pairing?
2. If you could change one thing about the series, what would it be? Why?
3. Why do you identify with Hufflepuff?

:hug:

The Seams [M]

2013 Dobby Awards Winner for Best Minor Character

2ebbytt.png

Author's Page [M]                   Meet the Author [12+]

Gorgeous set by alchemyfreak123 @ TDA

#6 magnolia_magic

magnolia_magic

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

Wow, questions! I'm so sorry to be so late with these...I haven't thought to check back on this topic in forever! But here goes :)

LupinandTonks14:

1.) Wow, this is a tough one to answer...there are so many that I love! I don't know if I can narrow it down to one, but I'll give you my top two. I fell in love with Remus Lupin in PoA because he was such a wonderful teacher, and so kind. And throughout the series I've admired him for the way he rises above all the persecution he has to go through. My other favorite is Hagrid because he's a great friend to Harry and he just makes me smile. Of all the characters in the series, he's the one I would most love to meet :)

2.) Hufflepuff, definitely! I think I'd have a lot of fun there, because it just seems like this big hodgepodge of different personalities and people.

3.) I think Hermione's heart was in the right place when she started S.P.E.W., but I'm kind of like Ron: I didn't want to listen to her constantly harping on about it :p

4.) My favorite book is Deathly Hallows by a mile, and my favorite movie is Prisoner of Azkaban :)

5.) Harry/Ginny definitely, because I think Ron and Hermione are just too cute a couple to mess with :)

Now to Shelby:

1.) I think that Dean and Luna could have a lot to learn from each other, which is why I love the idea of them dating. We really don't know a whole lot about Dean from the books, but he seems like a really grounded guy...perfect for Luna. And I think she could teach him to become more open-minded. Since they're minor characters there's a lot of freedom to work with while writing them, and I think that's a lot of fun. My best piece about them is this one-shot I did for a challenge: For You, My Love (15+)

2.) Hmm, that's a tough one. One thing does come to mind, though...I really wish Ginny had been fleshed out a little more as a character. She's the love interest to the main character (which is a pretty big deal), but we don't know much about her aside from the fact that she's a feisty redhead :p I think she could have been a really great character if JKR had spent a little more time on her.

3.) Ever since I started reading the books as a 10 year old, I've pictured myself in Hufflepuff. The philosophy behind that house is great; it's so welcoming and inclusive, and I think that would be a great environment to be a part of. Plus, I value hard work and honesty, and I'm really not super competitive, so I think I'd fit in :)

Thank you both for coming by! I had fun answering these :D

#7 marauderfan

marauderfan

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

Hello! I just left you a really incoherent gush-a-thon of a review so I decided to redeem myself by asking you some mildly intelligent questions:

1. What do you like most about the Founders era?

2. What do you struggle with as a writer? And what do you find to be the easiest part of writing?

3. Outside of HP what other books do you enjoy?

4. If you could spend a day with any HP character, who would it be and why?

5. What's your favourite animal?

Hope you have fun answering these :)

:Hufflepuff: TBBBWHAPABYHDBWNOHPWHT :Hufflepuff:
magical sig by emmaweasley
hufflepuffforhousecupanimation_zps66657b
my stories [12+] | MTA [12+]
coming soon: chapter 3 of When Summer Fades

#8 MissesWeasley123

MissesWeasley123

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hey Maggie! I have some questions for you as well :p

1. Do/would you ever read non canon pairings?

2. Your favourite place on the forums?

3. What do you like to read outside of Fanfiction?

That's all for now! Have fun replying and I can't wait to read your answers!

C4Cm5bK.jpg wQ0f92k.png JYYNBGy.jpg 

this stuff i've written. [15+] whoa, questions. [12+] erm, a gallery [15+]

icons by hapakitsune@lj

#9 magnolia_magic

magnolia_magic

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:49 AM

GUYS. I just forgot that this page existed there for a while, but what a great surprise to see questions! Thank y'all so much for coming by, even if I'm shamefully slow in replying. But better late than never, right?

Kay marauderfan, you first :):

1.) I love this question! Probably because I have such a hard time answering it. There are so many things I love about the era, but if I had to pick my absolute favorite thing, I'd say I like the nuances of description and dialogue. Whether you go the historical route or the fairy-tale fantasy route, there is so much room for gorgeous description in this era. I love playing with figurative language, and I feel like Founders just lends itself well to flowery narrative :)  And dialogue has been a fun challenge. I want my characters to be relatable for modern readers, and yet I want them to be firmly rooted in the medieval era. That's been difficult sometimes, but I'm learning!

2.) I struggle most with imagery, I've discovered. I find myself just forgetting about physical details when I write, and focusing only on characterization. I have to go back and make myself set a scene. Haha, it's terrible! I'll write a whole chapter and realize that my characters might as well be floating in thin air :wacko: In DCtN, I went five chapters before I said anything about Helga's appearance, and she's the main character! Haha, definitely something I need to work on.

As far as the easiest thing, I'm pretty good at feeling my way through the pace and flow of a chapter. I can instinctively tell when it's time to start dialogue, or when I should back away and have some reflection from the narrator. It comes in really handy, especially with stories that shift in focus a lot.

3.) Ugh, it's been so long since I've found a book series I really like outside of HP. It's so sad :/ But my two favorite authors are Juliet Marillier and Sarah Addison Allen, because they are great at weaving fantasy and realism together seamlessly. I reread Marillier's Sevenwaters Trilogy at least once a year :)

4.) Hagrid, without a doubt! He's so sweet and he never fails to make me laugh. Every time he makes an appearance in the books I just want to hug him! And I would love for him to teach me about magical creatures...I've always thought I would want to take that class all the way up to NEWT level if I was at Hogwarts.

5.) Hm. I'd probably say cats are my favorite because they're so sassy. And no two cats are alike. We have a farm cat that loves to cuddle and sit on your lap :wub: And then we have another cat that just doesn't have the patience for human foolishness. Whenever I try to pet him, he just looks at me like "Ain't nobody got time for that." They're both hilarious and awesome in their own way (as are all cats in general.)

Now, on to Nadia:

1.) I'm open to just about any pairing people can think of, really. Snape/Lily is one of my favorite pairings ever, and I'm pretty sure they count as non-canon. So even though I don't really make a habit of it, I would definitely read them :)

2.) Oh wow, I've never been asked this! I think the Hufflepuff CR is probably my favorite place, and then the Help Needed section as well. I love to see the HPFF community coming together to help each other out. Just warms my heart :wub:

3.) I like a lot of fantasy-oriented fiction, but I'm not really a fan of the dystopian Hunger Games-ish stuff that's popular now. Not sure why *shrugs* I'm American and Southern, so I love to pick up a good novel set in the South. There's just something about that type of narrative that feels like home to me. I'd recommend Sarah Addison Allen or Billie Letts if you're interested in seeing what I mean :D

Thank you both so much for coming by, and I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to answer these! I had so much fun with them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users