• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 Arithmancy_Wiz

Arithmancy_Wiz

The Site Wiz

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

January 1st marks the start of a New Year and with it comes a time for new beginnings. In that vein, HPFF is proud to announce our 2012 Writer’s Duel. The theme for this year is one of renewal. Writers who wish to participate will select one of three prompts listed below, each centered around the idea of pushing the fanfiction envelope and writing something inventive and unique to kick off the New Year in style.

The Prompts
Each member who wishes to participate in the duel must select ONE of the following prompts around which to craft their story. Authors may only compete in ONE category, so select your prompt carefully.

Prompt 1: A Fresh Spin – We all know them. They just never seem to go away. The cliché plot line. Voldemort’s daughter befriending Harry, Hermione being a secret Pureblood, teen pregnancy at Hogwarts. Your challenge is to select one of these or another often used fanfic plot or theme and turn it on its head, writing it in a new, fresh, and (most importantly) realistic way.

Prompt 2: Changing Impressions – Do you think Percy is more than a know-it-all Ministry Man or that Pansy is more than Draco’s snobby girlfriend? Well, now is you chance to convince others of your beliefs. For this prompt, you need to write a story that shows readers a new perspective on a character – something that changes the way they are represented in the books or how they are usually portrayed in fanfiction. Make your readers love a character they normally hate, feel sympathy for someone they usually despise, or just generally think about a character in a way they never have before. This isn’t about ignoring canon, it’s about adding to it. What can you bring to a character that sheds new light on who they are?

Prompt 3: A New Kind of Love – Many of the stories posted on this site feature (to varying degrees) romantic relationships between characters, which is understandable, as romance is a big part of life. For this prompt, however, you’ll have to push the boundaries of what it means to be in a relationship. Instead of exploring the ups and downs of a dating or married couple, here you are being challenged to explore other types of relationships: a mother and child, two old friends, a boy and his dog, a student and her favorite teacher. The “couple” is up to you: just make sure the non-romantic relationship is the central focus of the story.

The Rules:
Stories that fail to meet the following guidelines will be automatically disqualified.

- Stories must be one-shots between 1800-4000 words
- Stories must properly reflect the prompt under which they are submitted
- Stories must be rated 15+ or lower. All warnings are accepted (as long they correspond with the correct rating).
- Unless specified in the prompt, all characters, genres, eras, etc., are acceptable.
- Stores must comply with the Site Rules/Terms of Service
- DO NOT publish your story on HPFF until the Duel is complete. Doing so will result in immediate disqualification.
- Banners and chapter images are not allowed.

Submissions and Voting:
The voting for this Writer’s Duel will take place in two parts. The first will be done by you the members. You will get to vote on your favorite entries under each category. The second round of voting will be done by the staff. The top entries in each category will be reviewed by the staff and a winner for each prompt will be selected.

In order to keep the voting as fair as possible, all submissions will remain anonymous until the duel has been completed. In order to achieve this, submissions must NOT be posted directly to the archives by the author. They must be submitted via email to the staff, who will then review and post them under a single story shell – one for each prompt.

In order to submit an entry, please follow these instructions:

1. Once you have written your story, please submit it to competition[at]harrypotterfanfiction.com with the subject line: Writer’s Duel
2. Your submission MUST contain your completed text, story title, a summary (if you have one), your archive penname, and the category your story is being submitted under.
3. Please make sure your story is complete when submitted. No changes will be accepted after the story has been received.
4. Do NOT tell any fellow members which submission is yours. Doing so will result in immediate disqualification if discovered.

IMPORTANT: All stories submitted for this duel are assumed to be willingly contributed to the site and will be posted on a site account where members can read, review and vote on them. This means authors cannot post these stories on their authors’ pages. Do not submit an entry unless you are willing to comply with this rule. At the end of the competition, pennames will be assigned to each submission so all authors are properly credited.

Submissions will be open between January 1 and January 14, 2012. Prizes Will Be Announced Soon!

Good luck to everyone. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!!

EDIT: PRIZES… Each category winner will get an HPFF fountain pen. The entry judged the overall best story from the 3 winning categories will also get an HPFF flash drive.

Posted ImagePosted Image

set by hayley jade @TDA

Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

Author's Page (12+) / @HPFF Twitter (12+)

#2 HarrietHopkirk

HarrietHopkirk

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

Does prompt 3 necessarily have to be a positive relationship?

#3 Arithmancy_Wiz

Arithmancy_Wiz

The Site Wiz

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

Does prompt 3 necessarily have to be a positive relationship?

No, it doesn't need to be positive. As long as the characters have some sort of relationship between them, it can be positive, negative or anything in between.

set by hayley jade @TDA

#4 TenthWeasleyWriter

TenthWeasleyWriter

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

This might be a silly question, but can the stories be from any point of view (first, second, or third)?

yaHCK0O_zps34710904.png 

beautiful set by !badwolf @ TDA

hpff author's page (12+ thru m)

#5 WeasleyTwinMom

WeasleyTwinMom

Head of Ravenclaw

• Site Admin
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

You can use any POV, but remember the rule for second-person is that it must be from a canon character's POV. No OC's.

read my stories * ask me questions * read the site rules
(12+)

18a74cee-89f3-4a3e-9a75-661afe627847.jpg

story banner by insertwittycommenthere @ TDA

Current WIP: The New Pride of Portree (15+)

#6 HarrietHopkirk

HarrietHopkirk

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:54 PM

Sorry, another question. Can we still ask a beta for help/staff member for rating checks?

#7 InTheShadowsIDwell

InTheShadowsIDwell

Professor of Dramione Studies

• Prefect
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

If I were to choose Prompt Three, may I write the relationship as two OC's or does at least one have to be a canon character?

Posted Image

^ ^ ^ click for new story (M) ^ ^ ^

Confinement (M) Infinity (15+) Imperfect (M)

fire. @ tda & Clarissa Callister and Ridley Palmer @ pw

#8 Arithmancy_Wiz

Arithmancy_Wiz

The Site Wiz

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

Sorry, another question. Can we still ask a beta for help/staff member for rating checks?

You can always ask the staff if you have questions but as submissions will be posted under a single story shell with a 15+ rating and all warnings allowed at 15+, as long as it falls at or below that, you are safe. As to a beta, you can use one if you like but you cannot post any information about your story until after the competition since it is all anonymous.

If I were to choose Prompt Three, may I write the relationship as two OC's or does at least one have to be a canon character?

As long as the story is clearly HP-related, as all stories on the archive must be, OCs are fine.

set by hayley jade @TDA

#9 Celtic_Dreamer7

Celtic_Dreamer7

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 681 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:16 AM

Just to clarify, we Prefects are allowed to participate right?? :(

~Celtic~

#10 LittleWelshGirl99

LittleWelshGirl99

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Must they strictly be within the word count allowance?

khaleesi.png

HPFF/12+  

pretties by PhoenixAlthor & prospero

#11 Arithmancy_Wiz

Arithmancy_Wiz

The Site Wiz

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Yes and yes to both of the above :)

set by hayley jade @TDA

#12 magicmuggle01

magicmuggle01

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

I take it that we just simply send our submissions as an attachment in the e-mail? And do we assign the warnings and the rating or do you?

#13 always smiling

always smiling

New student

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:31 AM

wait so they have to be one shots

#14 GillyweedFan

GillyweedFan

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:34 AM

These prompts are brilliant, just a quick question about Prompt 2. The description says we're adding to cannon. Does this mean we can create a completely new storyline that changes this character or does it have to be realistic in terms of cannon?

Probably not explained very well by me...for example, (this isn't my plot, just an e.g) Could we say Bellatrix enjoys being so malicious because she suffered from being bullied when she was younger? It's not stated in cannon that she was bullied as a child...but it's a factor of the story made up to help the plot. If you get me?

#15 LysLovesHP

LysLovesHP

New student

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:54 AM

So, I was thinking of doing a fic where Voldemort's son is best friends with Harry and Ron when I saw A Freash Spin until I read the example of Voldemort's daughter befriending Harry....... Is it possible that I could still do my plot without making it look like I'm copying off y'all? Sorry :ermm:
And as a side note, the prizes are AMAZING! I really want that pen! And the flash drive is the best thing ever XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users