#1 pixileanin

pixileanin

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 424 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

Hi.

I have stories on my Author's Page.

If you have questions, I will answer them.

QiLjOhD.gif

Super banner sent by Elenia!

JOIN IN ON MY WEIRDNESS

Rabbit Heart (15+) -  NextGen with (not so fluffy) rodents

My Other Stories (12+ to M) 

#2 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:12 AM

BAM. No tag-backs. Hah. :)

1.) How did Snorcas come into being?
2.) Which side is more interesting to write -- the Death Eaters or the Order of the Phoenix?
3.) What kind of stories do you actively seek out to read?
4.) Which kind of stories would you probably never read?
5.) Why do you think you belong in Gryffindor House?

(I'm sure I've got others up my sleeve, but my husband is dragging me off to celebrate Yule. Another time!)

stories (12+ to M)
devilry_sig_zpse7e33c8b.png
fantastic set by easterlies@TDA

#3 pixileanin

pixileanin

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 424 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:49 AM

What??? It took you all of three seconds to find this. Amazing! Fair is fair, though. Here we go.

1) Snorcas! That still makes me laugh, every time I see it. Actually, it was a challenge posted by LindaSnape, maybe two years ago now. It was called the Severely Obsessed Challenge and takers were randomly assigned a romantic interest that had to be paired with Severus Snape. (counts on fingers) Many, many months after the deadline, I finally had something decent to show for it.

2) The Death Eaters were much more interesting for me, because we didn’t see a lot of their secret meetings in canon and therefore it left me lots of room to play. I tried really hard not to write the Order.

3) What stories do I actively seek out to read? Hmm… it depends on my mood. Sometimes I need my fluff fix. Other times, I need something completely different. I enjoy stories that surprise me.

4) Stories that I would probably never read: I don’t know. If a story is well-written, I’d give just about anything a shot. I get distracted by too many spelling and grammar errors and I have a low tolerance for characters yelling at each other for no good reason.

5) Why am I in Gryffindor? I dunno. The quiz put me there. Didn’t really question it. Though, I thought that it was quite brave of me to follow through with that crazy challenge, even after the deadline was over. ;)

QiLjOhD.gif

JOIN IN ON MY WEIRDNESS

#4 CambAngst

CambAngst

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

Hey, there! As you're probably realized, I'm hopelessly sucked into Snorcas now. So there are some things I thought I'd ask.

1 - Do you set aside specific time to write each day or does it just "happen" when free time meets inspiration? Do you set goals for yourself as far as writing a certain amount each day / week?

2 - What led you to pick Dorcas? She's a fairly obscure character who gets mentioned once or twice in the books. Was the appeal just having a blank slate or was there something specific about her?

3 - Your take on Severus is pretty unique. If I've interpreted your story and your review responses correctly, he's gotten over Lily, at least to the extent that he no longer has romantic feelings for her and his longing for her friendship is diminished. You seem to have recast his feelings as a strong sense of obligation, born out of a guilty conscience. Did I get that right? What inspired you to take it in that direction?

4 - I thought your Fred and George birthday story was brilliant. Where did you get the idea for that one?

5 - Assuming you had never picked up a HP book, do you still think that you'd be writing original fiction?

6 - I'm intrigued. Is there a story that goes with Mr. Pix's porsche?

7 - You can go back in time and talk JKR out of killing off one character. Who is it and why? And if she insisted that another character take their place, who would it be?

8 - The HP films: love 'em or hate 'em? Most favorite and least favorite parts?

Thank you for your time and attention and for Snorcas. I love saying that. Snorcas, Snorcas,Snorcas,Snorcas,Snorcas...

You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be. - Albus Dumbledore
My Author Page (stories range from 15+ to M) - My MTA Page (12+)
Posted Image

#5 pixileanin

pixileanin

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:46 AM

OMG! There's someone here with questions!!!! *jumps up and down* Let's see if I can do something about that...

1 - Do you set aside specific time to write each day or does it just "happen" when free time meets inspiration? Do you set goals for yourself as far as writing a certain amount each day / week?

Yes and yes. And then no. When I first started writing Snorcas (still makes me giggle!) it was "write any chance I got", which was difficult. I had three kids at the time and a day job, and some afternoon things, and then family time, and... well, you know the drill. Little person #4 appeared last year and now that he's toddling, I have set aside the "time before everyone wakes up" and the "time after everyone goes to bed and Mr. Pix is blowing up tanks" as my writing/computer time. It's consistently about four days a week, sometimes five, depending on the schedule. And I have twins too, so we're in the same club. (mine are eight, but still twins. That never goes away. :)) I don't currently have a set "goal" for my writing. Though my current WIP had a general goal of being finished by the end of May. *looks at calendar* Oh dear. Blew that one.

2 - What led you to pick Dorcas? She's a fairly obscure character who gets mentioned once or twice in the books. Was the appeal just having a blank slate or was there something specific about her?

This one's easy. The long-expired "Severely Obsessed" challenge I entered was one of those Pick-a-number for your ship things. I got Dorcas. But I'm really glad I did. She's practically a clean slate, except for her death. It was nice to have the freedom to create her from scratch. Though the challenge expired long before the story was ready.

3 - Your take on Severus is pretty unique. If I've interpreted your story and your review responses correctly, he's gotten over Lily, at least to the extent that he no longer has romantic feelings for her and his longing for her friendship is diminished. You seem to have recast his feelings as a strong sense of obligation, born out of a guilty conscience. Did I get that right? What inspired you to take it in that direction?

You are correct, sir! I decided that if I was going to ship Severus with anyone, it was going to be a genuine ship and not some half-hearted attempt at a Lily replacement. I thought it would be quite reasonable and believable for him to harbor at least a little resentment towards having to save someone over and over and not get anything for it (recognition, thanks, etc.). Something like that would eventually eat away at you, don't you think? And really, if you take Severus' back story the way it is written in the books (and not count what JKR said afterwards, of course), as a memory of his past, couldn't he have simply been honoring the memory and living out of obligation because of self-inflicted guilt? I know it's a stretch, but it makes my story more credible that way.

4 - I thought your Fred and George birthday story was brilliant. Where did you get the idea for that one?

Aww, thanks! That was a birthday present for the brilliant 1917farmgirl. She loves the twins to death... err, I mean, she never wants either of them to die. And I needed a palate cleanser after the Snape-centric piece I had just finished. Part of her request was not to have a love scene, so I made it nearly impossible by de-aging them. Also, since it was her birthday, I had to have a birthday in it. And there was a dare to include whipped cream... and let's see... oh yes. There was this poem I read to my kids by A.A. Milne titled, "Now We Are Six" that I found was the perfect inspiration. You might want to look it up. It's really cute. So put all that in an empty coffee can and shake it up. That's how it happened.

5 - Assuming you had never picked up a HP book, do you still think that you'd be writing original fiction?

That is a very interesting question. Before I started writing fanfic just a few years ago, I had never written any fictional prose longer than maybe 2000 words. I was more the "teen angst bad poetry" type. Minimalist with words and such. No plot to fuss over. I suppose that if I had been reading another engaging series and it had ended and I had happened to stumble over fanfic of it on the internet, then I might have begun writing in that fandom. But who's to say?

6 - I'm intrigued. Is there a story that goes with Mr. Pix's porsche?

Haha! Why did I know you were going to ask about that? Ahem. When we were first married, Mr. Pix asked me if he could get a Porche. Not wanting to stomp on his dreams, I said sure, but only if I could have a Steinway Baby Grand piano later. (I'm a music teacher. It's like a Porsche for pianists.) We agreed and he got the Porsche. A few years later, I got the Steinway. We were very happy. Fast forward to the present... When we were expecting twins, Mr. Pix traded in the Porsche for a minivan. (Don't look at me like that. I didn't MAKE him do it!) The Steinway is sitting pretty in the living room. I'm sorry, but every once in a while, I look at it and chuckle. Don't hate me. It's a great story.

7 - You can go back in time and talk JKR out of killing off one character. Who is it and why? And if she insisted that another character take their place, who would it be?

(I know you're asking me this so you can cover up that Porsche question...) I guess the two deaths that surprised me the most were Dumbledore and Fred. I really didn't think that JKR had it in her to kill off a Weasley. Also, I was shocked that in her incredible saga of "keep believing in the old man who seems to know everything", she'd actually kill off the old man. I guess between the two of them, I'd want to save Fred because the Weasleys are such good people and they don't deserve to be marked with tragedy. If I had to replace Fred's death with someone else's, I'd offer up Pansy. Do unto others, and all that.

8 - The HP films: love 'em or hate 'em? Most favorite and least favorite parts?

Oh, the films. Let's see. I saw the first one before I read the books. It was fantastic. I don't think anything can touch it. Even after reading the books, I was in love with the first film. I loved all the little things, like the platters of food. I wrote a blog once about all the food in the HP films... actually scanned through looking for food depictions. And nothing beats that chess game.

Some of the changes to the plot were necessary. Because it's a film. Different medium, different rules. I guess the film I liked the least was the Half-Blood Prince, just because it didn't sit well as a movie. It was a cliffhanger book. Likewise, it was a cliffhanger movie. But I thought that it didn't translate so well to the big screen. That, and the "great camping movie" were both difficult translations from print to the screen, I think just because of the way the books were.

I'm more forgiving than most when it comes to major changes in the movies. I thought they did a fantastic job with the final movie. I think if they would have attempted to give all those other characters the screen time they deserved (Tonks and Remus, etc.) they would have either created a massive Ring Cycle-esque piece, or added another film to the series. Both would have been a bad idea because the plot would have been fragmented and such.

I don't know if I answered your question or not. But those are my thoughts.

Thank you for your time and attention and for Snorcas. I love saying that. Snorcas, Snorcas,Snorcas,Snorcas,Snorcas...

Thank you for reading my crazy story! You can thank academica for coining "Snorcas" for me. It's great, ain't it? We should have t-shirts! (I ship Snorcas!) Ahh hahaha! Funny.

QiLjOhD.gif

JOIN IN ON MY WEIRDNESS

#6 WriteYourHeartOut

WriteYourHeartOut

Fifth Year

• Prefect
  • 837 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

Dearest Pix,

1.) In your story "Better Days Than These" we are met with a Mary Sue - a first-place winning Mary Sue at that! But somehow you've managed to make her a very peculiar and unique Mary Sue! How did you come about putting Paloma Papillon Pe'onia Parkinson together (outside of the inspiration supplied by the challenge)?

2.) Judging by your "Fred and George and the Birthday Surprise" banner, you're clearly a very talented artist. Where did you learn to paint so well?

3.) What's the deal with you and spoons?

4.) What's the deal with you and snowglobes?

5.) According to spell check, 'snowglobes' is not a word. Is it actually 'snow globes'?

6.) What's the deal with you and balloon animals?

7a.) I just recently started making nerdy baked goods and I know that you've made some pretty stellar cakes in the past. I've done Golden Snitch cake pops, Couldron Cake pops, and a Minecraft cake. What should be my next endeavor?

7b.) Will you please bake me a Harry Potter cake for my birthday?

8.) When can we be expecting the Next Gen story with the vampire rabbits?

9.) Have you any other new stories on the horizons? Will you be working with a new character/ship/theme?

10.) Every time you write a canon character, they are always very accurately portrayed. Are there any characters in the Harry Potter series who you are afraid to write and get wrong?

I'll leave you to thoughtfully ponder those awesome questions. ;)

#7 pixileanin

pixileanin

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 424 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

Oh my goodness!!!!  Someone left me questions.  This is awesome!

I can tell this is going to be a long, thoughtful process, so give me a moment to make myself comfortable.... ahhh... there we go.  Lessee what we can do about this.

1.) In your story "Better Days Than These" we are met with a Mary Sue - a first-place winning Mary Sue at that! But somehow you've managed to make her a very peculiar and unique Mary Sue! How did you come about putting Paloma Papillon Pe'onia Parkinson together (outside of the inspiration supplied by the challenge)?

Ahh, Peony!  First off, I think the name was extremely important to get right.  I wanted some flowery name to match with her half-sister Pansy.  After that, quite frankly, it was a group effort.  I think I spent about an hour in some forum somewhere bouncing ridiculous name ideas off of other people until it fit.  We came to several conclusions: the name had to be fantastically long, there had to be multiple languages implied, and cool names are always hyphenated... though on that last one, I decided to go with that accent mark thingy instead of a hyphen.  (This was a good call, by the way, because I think one reviewer told me that they imagined Peony's full name to be pronounced as pee-oh-yuh, which I found quite hilarious.  I wish I had done that on purpose!)  And of course, alliteration was a bonus.  After coming up with a name, it wasn't too much of a stretch to flesh out a character who could live up to it.

My impression of everyone else's impression of a Mary Sue is a character who is "too" everything.  Too perfect, too lovable, too involved in everything around her, has too many of the right answers all the time, you know, that sort of thing.  I think that everyone wants to be that kind of a person, deep down, though.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could all solve the world's problems with our own wit/kindness/wealth/superior intellect... that sort of thing.  What if we had no ulterior motives for being nice, and did the right thing because it was the right thing to do?  I'd want to be someone like that.  Unless I was a Slytherin.  And then Peony told me, "That's who I want to be!  I want to be the pinnacle of altruism with a personal agenda!"  It was the perfectly ironic combination.

2.) Judging by your "Fred and George and the Birthday Surprise" banner, you're clearly a very talented artist. Where did you learn to paint so well?

Hey, it's all about scale and perspective.  At least that's what I read in that "Learning to Draw" book that I borrowed from my ten-year-old.

3.) What's the deal with you and spoons?

Umm, I'm not sure how the spoon thing got started.  I thought that was you.  

Okay, so after spending a boatload of time backtracking through the status updates, I believe I was attempting to come up with a symbolic lurking device and happened upon spoons, which ties in to the notion of Ron having the emotional capacity of a teaspoon... and then it just got out of hand after that.  Spoons for everything...  We do have to take into account that this was also my tap dancing, ballooning, Roderick the Thestral fic idea, nap-a-thon period, all culminating in the release of the last Harry Potter film insanity.  Realistically, the blame could go practically anywhere.

I have no answers for Roderick the Thestral.  Just, don't ask.

4.) What's the deal with you and snowglobes?

Snow globes!!!  The snow globe trend started when I needed a cool muggle trinket for Dorcas to use as a home decor/secret portkey in my story.  Thus the complete fixation on the object from there on out.  I tend to dive into ideas like that.

5.) According to spell check, 'snowglobes' is not a word. Is it actually 'snow globes'?

It is probably two words, but I believe that as writers, we have the rights and responsibilities to enhance our language with new and unusual creations.  My roommate in college once woke up in the middle of her nap and was very emphatic that "humongous" was not in the dictionary.  She looked it up to prove her point and then fell back asleep with the dictionary over her face.  When she woke up, I asked her about it and she said that she couldn't remember the conversation we had.  Apparently, she had been sleep-talking.  I bet spell check sleeps during language growth spurts too.  

I bet that it's "port key" too, huh?

6.) What's the deal with you and balloon animals?

Wow.  You sure are asking a lot of personal questions today.  :p

I hate clowns.  I wanted balloon animals at my daughter's birthday party.  I learned to do them myself.  If there's anything else I can do to keep clowns unemployed, I will do it.  Save the juggling.  I am pure rubbish at that.

7a.) I just recently started making nerdy baked goods and I know that you've made some pretty stellar cakes in the past. I've done Golden Snitch cake pops, Couldron Cake pops, and a Minecraft cake. What should be my next endeavor?

Hmm... Minecraft cake sounds awesome.  You can do so many variations on that.  The last cake I did for a friend was Angry Birds.  Have you tried that yet?  It works both as a sculpture AND with cake pops.  And if you get your hands on fondant, you can do all the beaks/noses/claws, etc.   I'd say go all out and do a combo!

OR... if you want to do a HP theme, you could look up all the Harry Potter Lego people and do cake pops of all the heads and then do a big Hogwarts Castle sheet cake and stick them all on it... like an Angry Birds/Harry Potter cake crossover extravaganza.  Wow.  I think I want to try that...

7b.) Will you please bake me a Harry Potter cake for my birthday?

Absolutely!  My kids never ask for Harry Potter cakes. Do you want the Angry Birds crossover monster thing, or did you have something else in mind?

8.) When can we be expecting the Next Gen story with the vampire rabbits?

Eh... haha.  Well, I'm in the middle of the biggest revision of my life with that story right now.  I had to fire my MC.  Seriously.  I had the whole first draft finished and I ripped that girl right out of the story and replaced her with someone who could play the role with more integrity.   The bigger question is: how many times am I going to rewrite chapter one before I'm satisfied?  Actually, I'm hoping it will be solidly finished before the end of the year.  We'll have to see whether I have the confidence to start posting before then or not.  *crosses fingers* 

9.) Have you any other new stories on the horizons? Will you be working with a new character/ship/theme?

Interesting question.  It's one that I've resisted asking myself, since I seem to be a one WIP type of person.  That may change after this project; maybe I'll try doing several things at once, just because I've had more than one WIP to juggle before.  There's been this Luna story bouncing around in my head for a few years now, but I haven't got a firm grasp on it yet, mostly because I need a really solid handle on Luna (and the whole thing about getting my MC wrong in my current WIp has me completely gun-shy about the idea now)... and that may never happen.  As for one-shots, they tend to come out of nowhere.  There's not much planning involved with those.  I'd love to explore more about Newt Scamander.  I had so much fun with the one-shot I did on him.

10.) Every time you write a canon character, they are always very accurately portrayed. Are there any characters in the Harry Potter series who you are afraid to write and get wrong?

Roderick the Thestral.  No, wait.  That's not canon, is it?  I get confused.

Luna, basically.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall flat with her if I ever get that story off the ground.  JKR never tells us where she is inside head, so there's all this second-guessing we have to do if we're writing from her point of view.

Thank you!  That's high praise, having someone say that I got the characters right. 

Oh!  That's the end of the questions.  Did I get an A?  Thanks for dropping by and giving me things to thoughtfully ponder.  This was fun!

QiLjOhD.gif

JOIN IN ON MY WEIRDNESS

#8 nott theodore

nott theodore

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 584 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Pix! :hug:  This page looks like it could do with some more love, and I wanted to pop by with some questions about Rabbit Heart.  (Although I have lots to catch up on - you write very quickly!)

1. What gave you the inspiration for the story?

2. Which aspect of the story is most outside of your comfort zone?

3. How much planning did you do before starting to write?

4. What do you have against bunnies?!

5. Which of your stories are you proudest of?

6. How did you get into writing fanfiction?  What's made you stick around here so long?

7. What's your biggest achievement as far as writing is concerned?

8. Is there one character that you've always wanted to write about but never have?

9. What is your usual process for developing a story idea?

10. What's your favourite thing about HPFF?

And that's all I can come up with for now... I look forward to reading your answers! :good:

11t360m.png

Set by anyroad @ TDA

my stories [12+] my mta [12+]

#9 pixileanin

pixileanin

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 424 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:03 AM

Awww!  Thanks for giving my page some love!

1. What gave you the inspiration for the story?

Umm.  Well... Err...  I wanted to write one of those incredibly common teen/romance/angst stories, with an uncommon twist, and I thought that evil rabbits were funny... ?

2. Which aspect of the story is most outside of your comfort zone?

Writing teen romance, definitely.  And teen issues.  And borderline angst with teens.  Basically, anything with teens is completely out of my comfort zone.

3. How much planning did you do before starting to write?

That's an interesting question.  Let me think... I had the genesis for the idea right around the end of December of 2012.  I tried to get someone to talk me out of the idea, but all they did was encourage it, so I plotted for about six weeks, and then wrote a very holey draft in about four months.  I've been revising the dickens out of it ever since then.

4. What do you have against bunnies?!

Nothing.  I think rabbits are absolutely sweet and lovely.  I just thought that it would be funny if they weren't... because I'm warped that way.

5. Which of your stories are you proudest of?

Hmm... I am extremely proud of my Snape fic for several reasons: it contains all the things I never thought I was capable of writing, all wrapped up in one story... Severus Snape, for one, a love scene, torture, novel-length plot with several twisting subplots... And I learned so much from finishing it.  So, yeah.  I look back on that experience with pride.

6. How did you get into writing fanfiction?  What's made you stick around here so long?

Haha!  Now you're making me feel old.  Truthfully, I was reading one of those top ten fics, and in the middle of it, the author posted that they were taking a break for the holidays.  I spent those holidays writing my own ending to that story because I just had to know what happened next.  60k words later, I decided that maybe I should write my own story.  So I did, and I've been writing ever since.

7. What's your biggest achievement as far as writing is concerned?

That's a tough one.  I'd like to say that I haven't gotten there yet.  I think my greatest writing achievement is still a WIP.  LOL!  But if I had to pick something, it's the way that my confidence has grown since I started writing and posting.  I am no longer afraid to put my thoughts down in words and share them with others.

8. Is there one character that you've always wanted to write about but never have?

Definitely Luna Lovegood.  I may get around to her someday.  But right now, she scares the stuffing out of me.

9. What is your usual process for developing a story idea?

I go round to my HPFF friends and spout off ridiculous ideas until someone says, "hey, write that one!"  And then I do.

10. What's your favourite thing about HPFF?

The community of writers here is amazing.  It's a place where I know I can talk about the craft of writing and I'll find someone who is right with me.  Or slightly behind.  Or three steps ahead.  I find constant opportunities for growth as a writer, and an unending source of inspiration and encouragement here.   It's like Oz.  There isn't any other place like it.

Thanks so much for the questions!

Edited by pixileanin, 30 March 2014 - 04:05 AM.

QiLjOhD.gif

JOIN IN ON MY WEIRDNESS

#10 Infinityx

Infinityx

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:09 AM

Hi Pix! How's my favorite bunny writer? <3 I've got some questions for you as well! 

1. Why rabbits? Why not hamsters, or kittens, or puppies...you get the idea. :p

2. Do you have most of your story planned out and written before you post, or do you tend to make the plot advance as you write each chapter? 

3. How often do you write? 

4. OTP?

5. If you could only visit one place in the wizarding world, which would it be?

6. Who do you think would be your best friend from the Hogwarts era characters? 

7. Puddlemere United or Holyhead Harpies? :D (optional question. :p)

8. Which genre/era are you afraid to write? 

9. Name one thing on your bucket list. (I'm trying to get some new ideas as well. :D)

10. If you could write only one genre/era/pairing for the rest of your life, which would it be? 

Have fun! ;)

Lovely set by visenya@TDA

sig_zpse362c0ab.png

Author Page (M) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users