#1 Cassius Alcinder

Cassius Alcinder

Awesome

• Prefect
  • 403 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:13 AM

Welcome to my MTA thread!

I'm James aka Cassius Alcinder.

I've done a bit of sportswriting, but this is my first foray into fiction. Cassius Alcinder is my sportswriter penname; it combines the real names of two famous athletes who changed their names.

While browsing HP Wiki a few months ago, I read through the questions on the History of Magic NEWT, and there was one about a secret task force of wizards and muggles that helped the Allies win WWII. That little tidbit inspired me to start writing fanfics by giving me the plot bunny that has become "Their Finest Hour," my ongoing novel about Dumbledore's quest to defeat Grindelwald and how it fits into the bigger picture of WWII. It also tells the story of a British soldier named John Evans, who may or may not be Lily's dad ;)

I also really enjoy writing comedy, so I have started writing comedy fanfictions as well. My first humor story on here is "Voldemort and the Epic Recession," which is about Voldemort trying to find a regular job after Harry defeats him. I have several other similar stories in the works about various characters, including Snape, Sirius, and Cedric.

I also have a few other action/adventure stories in the works, icluding one about Dean Thomas meeting some football hooligans when he's on the run in Book 7, one about young Tom Riddle when he was in Eastern Europe, and a buddy cop story about Kingsley and Mad-Eye that's equally action and comedy.

You can check out my author page here: My Stories (15+)

Feel free to ask questions, I have cookies!

Edited by Cassius Alcinder, 13 November 2011 - 03:14 AM.

#2 Emerald_Eyed_Bookworm

Emerald_Eyed_Bookworm

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Ok so I was just reviewing your story, Their Finest Hour, and it was really interesting to see here where you got the idea from. For such an in depth story, you obviously have to do research. I was wondering where/how you do your research for both the historical setting as well as Harry Potter lore - to make sure your characters are well established.

:bye:

Posted Image

Thanks to bellatrixx @TDA for the perfect signature for me!

My Author Page [15+] & MTA [12+]

#3 Cassius Alcinder

Cassius Alcinder

Awesome

• Prefect
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

Good question, thanks for asking!

I'm really interested in history so I tend to read a fair amount of historical books which gives me a decent background knowledge. While writing a story like that, I'll usually have two internet tabs open; one on wikipedia and on on HP wiki so I can consult both histories and try to blend the two timelines toghether the right way, which is definetely a challenge. While wikipedia may not be the greatest source for school work, its great when you just need to know something quickly.

#4 Beeezie

Beeezie

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

Hey, I have a few questions. :)

1. How do you think John Evans reacted when Lily got her letter from Hogwarts? Do you think that Dumbledore himself went to discuss it with them?

2. Do you see yourself writing about other wars when you finish Their Finest Hour?

3. Which eras are your favorite to write about? How about to read?

4. Do you have a story of yours that you like the best? If so, which?

Thanks to nymeria for the sig! | Thanks to rebel_heart for the icon!

5arxva.png

Stories [12+] | TDA [15+]

#5 Ariellem

Ariellem

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hello!

1). Who is your favorite character that you have ever written?
2). Why do you write comedy?
3).Your favorite ship?
4). What was your favorite part in Scott Pilgrim? Favorite Evil Ex?

Posted Image

sig by andersonhummel @tumblr

My stories (M)

#6 Cassius Alcinder

Cassius Alcinder

Awesome

• Prefect
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

1. How do you think John Evans reacted when Lily got her letter from Hogwarts? Do you think that Dumbledore himself went to discuss it with them?

Really good question, I'm actually working on writing this scene right now. For one thing, I imagine John being a lot closer to Lily than he is with Petunia, which might explain a lot about both of their personalities. I think he would be very proud of Lily (as Petnuia hinted at in one of the books) but I think he also be pretty upset that she's leaving home at such a young age. I'm still debating if Dumbledore would have showed up or not, I feel like Dumbledore would have wanted to keep a lot of his wartime activities secret, and obviously he never told Harry about it.

2. Do you see yourself writing about other wars when you finish Their Finest Hour?

Well I'm a big fan of historical fiction, both reading and writing, so thats a definite possibility. The next longer story I"m working on is set in Russia in the 1950's, during the wizard version of the Cold War. The MC is an OC Russian witch named Anastasia who is a special agent for the Soviet Ministry, but is also a double agent playing both sides. Tom Riddle is there as well, hiding out with the Russians since we know he was probably in Eastern Europe at this time. One of the soldiers from Their Finest Hour gets recalled by the Ministry to go on a mission with Mad Eye Moody to spy on the Russians and ends up becoming a love interest for Anastasia. I'm pretty excited about how that one might turn out.

3. Which eras are your favorite to write about? How about to read?

I don't know if I can really single out one particular era, but I like to read and write about eras and topics that I consider gaps in canon, parts of the story that aren't really told. I fell like the Hogwarts era is pretty well covered in the books, unless you write about one of the lesser known characters. I like to read Marauders stories that incoporate the first war, and pretty much anything about minor characters we don't see much. I like next gen stories that are a little bit different and avoid the cliches, and I'll probably try my hand at writing one at some point.

4. Do you have a story of yours that you like the best? If so, which?

If I had to pick one, i think it would have to be Voldemort and the Epic Recession, because it started out as just a crazy idea I had and ended up spwaning a whole AU series thats still ongoing.

1). Who is your favorite character that you have ever written?

I would have to say my AU version of Voldemort (defeated, virtually powerless, and trying to become a functional member of society) because its just so much fun to write.

2). Why do you write comedy?

Comedy is definetley my favorite genre and its really what comes most naturally to me, plus its pretty fun to write as well.

3).Your favorite ship?

My favorite ship would have to be Ron/Hermione, I think its the best developed ship in the series, and I love the slow buildup over theirs years of spending all their time togther and how it finally culminated in the end. Ron is so much better for her than Draco.

4). What was your favorite part in Scott Pilgrim? Favorite Evil Ex?

Probably when he tricks the vegan guy into drinking milk, so clever, although the twins were probably the most epic of the exes.

#7 GinevraMollyPotter

GinevraMollyPotter

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hey I've r&r'd all of the Voldermort series!

1) Where do you find inspiration for your humour stories? Through comments you hear or from other influences?

2) Why did you decide to do a StarWars/HP crossover? (Just interested as it's quite an unusual concept)

3) Do Mary-Sue's in a story which is not intended to be humorous put you off?

4) Do you prefer writing one-shots or novels?

UegoW.png

Wonderful sig set by KillerQueen@TDA 

My author page (12+-M)

#8 Cassius Alcinder

Cassius Alcinder

Awesome

• Prefect
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

1. I just try to imagine the most ridiulous scenarios possible (like Voldemort working at Tesco or recording a Christmas album) and take things from there. Sometimes the most random things will give me an idea, and I really just try to picture characters in situations that they really don't belong in.

2. Well I'm a big fan of both HP and Star Wars, and I think there are a lot of similarities between Voldemort and Darth Vader's characters (with the key difference being that Vader still had some good in him and was capable of loving, but that's a way too serious theme for the purposes of my stories haha) I actually got the idea for this paritiuclar story when I was debating with a few friends who would win various battles between fictional characters, and we were stuck on Voldy vs. Vader for a while. It's so fun to imagine how the two of them would interact.

3. I think Mary Sues can definetaly take away from a story, but there are a lot of elements that go into forming the perfect Mary Sue (beautiful, popular, cries out for sympathy, has a dark past, is in love with a major canon character, is best friends with a canon character like Lily or Rose, etc.) and I've seen a lot of characters with one or two of these elements but I think its rare to see one with all of them, unless it was intentional like I did with Mary Sue Slytherin.

4. I actually enjoy writing both, but one-shots come a lot easier to me, especially since all mine are humorous they don't really require a whole lot of planning, its relaly just coming up with a crazy idea and running with it, wheras novels take a lot more preparation.

#9 Guest_dirtydeedsdonedirtcheap_Guest

Guest_dirtydeedsdonedirtcheap_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hey there! :D I have a few questions that will lead to a migraine from thinking so hard. ARE YOU READY? (You might want to sit down for this):

What is your favorite color?

(Just kidding.)

Yeah, that was me trying to be funny and obviously failing. I do honestly have some questions for you, here they are:

1. So, it's quite obvious you do enjoy history. What is it about history that you enjoy? Do you have a particular era/country that you like to read about the most (side note: I love Russian history!)?
2. Sports writing? How interesting! What's that like? And what sports do you/did you like to write/focus on?
3. What languages do you speak?
4. When writing your novels do you have a hard time piecing everything together? Do you ever get confused when writing about the war because you know it the 'muggle' way and have to think about it with this entirely different world or is writing easy for you?
5. Your humor fics are hysterical. Have you ever thought about writing a story longer than a one-shot that could focus on Voldemort and his day-to-day life or any other characters that you would like to write about in the future that would be comedic based?

#10 Cassius Alcinder

Cassius Alcinder

Awesome

• Prefect
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hey Deeds, great to see you back!

My favorite color is blue, no wait yellow! arrrrggggghhhhhhhh!

1. Isn't Russian history just fascinating!?! It's really fun getting to explore Russia's history and culture in my latest story "Behind the Curtain" I'm also really into 1800's Britain, colonial America and ancient Greece, but I have yet to think of ways to incorporate these into fanfics.

2. Sports writing is a lot of fun! I mostly write about basketball, but I try to work in a little bit of everything when I can.

3. I took Spanish in school and I speak it ok I guess. I also picked up a little bit of German just for kicks.

4. It definetely is a bit of challenge to piece everything together. It really helps me to write an outline and figure out where I want the story to go before I start writing it, but I still have to figure out a lot of the details as I go along. Also, it is always challenging to try to incorporate the magical world into the historical timeframe, but at least with WWII and Grindelwald JKR gave us some pretty big hints.

5. I've thought about possibly making an apic novel about Voldemort's post war woes, but we'll just have to see. As for other characters, I think Lee Jordan is very underrated.

#11 HeyMrsPotter

HeyMrsPotter

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

1. Your parodies are some of the funniest I've ever read! Is that where you think your strength as an author lies?
2. Which is your favourite of the parodies you've written?
3. Was there a Mary-sue story you read that inspired your parody writing about Mary-sue?(no need to name just a yes or no :p)
4. After writing your stories about Voldemort and his life after Harry(loved the DNA testing btw!) can you even read about him seriously any more?

ofa5bc.png

Banner and profile image by maskedmuggle@HPFF
Author Page (M) Meet The Author (12+)

#12 Cassius Alcinder

Cassius Alcinder

Awesome

• Prefect
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

1. Your parodies are some of the funniest I've ever read! Is that where you think your strength as an author lies?
2. Which is your favourite of the parodies you've written?
3. Was there a Mary-sue story you read that inspired your parody writing about Mary-sue?(no need to name just a yes or no :p)
4. After writing your stories about Voldemort and his life after Harry(loved the DNA testing btw!) can you even read about him seriously any more?

Yay questions! Sorry, I just noticed these now:)

1) I think so, and I generally like to remember what Harry tells Fred and George at the end of book 4, about how now they need laughter more then eve, or something like that. 

2) I'd have to go with Voldemort and the Epic Recession because it was the first one I wrote.  It seemed like a one-off idea at the time, but I kept getting bunnies for more. 

3) I can't say there was any particular story, but really just an amalgamation of different themes and devices that I've seen pop up in a lot of different stories.

4) I try to think of my Voldemort as a totally separate entity from canon Voldemort, but I have to say that there are a few expressions and things he makes in the movies that usually make me chuckle.

Thanks for the questions! 

#13 pixileanin

pixileanin

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

I've got questions for you!

1.  What was (so far) your greatest challenge when blending the timelines of the HP universe and the histories that you like to meld them with?  Was there ever a time where you just couldn't make your plot fit, and what did you do about it?

2. What is the air speed velocity of an unladden swallow?

3. When you write Volemort, what puts you in the mood?  Do you focus on his thirst for power, or is there something deeper that you like to pull from to get him right?

4.  If marvel superheroes met HP wizards, what do you think their initial reactions would be? 

5. What do you find yourself doing in your writing that you love?  

pineapplebunny_zps0572b092.jpg

JOIN IN ON MY WEIRDNESS

Rabbit Heart (15+) -  NextGen with (not so fluffy) rodents

Game Over (M) - action and adventure in six 500 word chapters (needs banner) 

My Other Stories (12+ to M) 

#14 Cassius Alcinder

Cassius Alcinder

Awesome

• Prefect
  • 403 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

1) In Behind the Curtain, I felt pretty good leeway with the timelines because there aren't too many canon events in the 1950's, so I just tried to work in the little tidbits we do know into my story line.  Their Finest Hour was much more of a challenge, and at several points I had to be a little inconsistent with both the canon and historical timelines to make the story work.  Sticklers for historical accuracy may object to it, but I did the best I could. 

2) African or European?

3) This totally depends on if I'm writing serious Voldemort or parody Voldemort of course:) For parody Voldemort, I just try to picture him in situations where he obviously doesn't belong, like riding a bus, or working at McDonalds. As for serious Voldemort, I mostly see him in the same mold as most dictators, but also with manipulative genius of somebody like Moriarty.  Hence, watching Sherlock really puts me in the mood for it. 

4) If the two worlds collided, I imagine that Nick Fury and SHIELD would bring in as many wizards as they could find right away and try to talk to them.  After some convincing, the Order of the Phoenix crowd would likely be incorporated into the Avengers, while the darker wizards go off to make mischief.  This opens a whole new set of questions, such as, can Captain America's shield deflect spells? Hmm I really should finish my crossover. 

5) I guess what I love the most is the feeling of having a random idea in my head that majes myself laugh, and being able to convey that into a written story that other people can enjoy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users