• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Gryffin_Duck

Gryffin_Duck

QuackMaster/Head of Hufflepuff

• Senior Staff
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

Time for a new MTA because the old one was horribly outdated.

I've been writing original fic since I was in middle school and fan fic since 2007. I joined HPFF (forums and archive) in early 2008. Here's a brief overview of all my stories, which can be found here/. Stories range from 12+ to M.

Albus Potter series- Listed in the order they should be read.

Albus Potter and the Secrets Within (15+) was the first fan fic I ever wrote. It's about Al's first year at Hogwarts. I started writing this right after Deathly Hallows was published, so it has none of the canon Weasley cousins in it. I was already well in to the 2nd story when JKR released the family tree.

Life is Good (12+) is a prequel to Secrets Within.

Albus Potter and the Tracks They Left Behind (15+) is about Al's 2nd year of Hogwarts.

Albus Potter and the Path Left Untrodden (15+) is about Al's 3rd year of Hogwarts.

Albus Potter and the Lost Legacy (15+) is about Al's 4th year of Hogwarts. 

Albus Potter and the Potions Master's Solution (15+) is about Al's 5th year of Hogwarts and is currently a WIP.

Moonlight series- Listed in the order they should be read.

In Moonlight's Shadow (M) is a spin-off novel of a few of my OCs from my Albus series. It takes place in Australia and doesn't have many canon characters in it. It's my favorite of all my novels.

That Night (15+) is a prequel to In Moonlight's Shadow.

Life Amidst the Moonlight (15+) one-shot epilogue type story to In Moonlight's Shadow.

Beyond the Shadow (M) is a sequel to In Moonlight's Shadow. It takes place 15 years later.

Other Novels

Between Here and Somewhere (M) is a Marauders Era fic that follows the Marauders through their seventh year. Told from Remus's point of view.

Searching For Forever (M) is about Lily (II) Potter and her search for love. Features a lot of characters from my Albus Potter series.

The rest of my stories are unrelated one-shots and song fics that can be found on my author page. Most of the one-shots are marauders era.

Ask me whatever you want! :D

Edited by Gryffin_Duck, 30 July 2013 - 01:02 AM.

We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already:
we have the power to imagine better. - J. K. Rowling
aecover3.pngjkr.jpgaecover1.png
Middle icon by me. All others by violet ephemera.
My Stories (12+)

#2 stargazer

stargazer

The Sneaky One

• 1,204 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

I spy a duck.

1. What did your love of writing about Albus come from?
2. How did you come up with your OC's for you stories?
3. Who is your favorite character (not Albus) to write about?
4. What is your favorite pairing to write? To read?
5. What is it about next-generation that you seem to love writing about a lot?

you may call me krys. aka: the sneaky snake

DyxHnAh.png TI01gxw.png 6aDuzXq.png

{tda}~{hpff}~{mta} < 12+

icons by littleoddities@lj

#3 Gryffin_Duck

Gryffin_Duck

• Senior Staff
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:21 AM

Yay, questions!!! :D

1. What did your love of writing about Albus come from?
2. How did you come up with your OC's for you stories?
3. Who is your favorite character (not Albus) to write about?
4. What is your favorite pairing to write? To read?
5. What is it about next-generation that you seem to love writing about a lot?

1. When I finished reading Deathly Hallows I really wanted more. I was very intrigued by Albus and wanted to know how his first year of Hogwarts went, so I figured since JKR wasn't going to write anymore I would. At this point there wasn't much, if any, canon next gen out there, and I'm very much a canon person.

2. They just popped into my head. I know that's kind of a bad answer, but it's really what happened. I remember sitting on the side of a hotel pool when I came up with them and was writing them down as my siblings swam. I picked the first names that came to me (which I kinda regretted because so many of them are names of books in the Bible which was not intentional), but they stuck. I didn't come up with their personalities right away, with the exception of Amy and Matt (the siblings that In Moonlight's Shadow is about), but as I wrote their personalities formed.

3. Can I pick my OCs? :p I really love writing the minor characters best, because I feel JKR did such a magnificent job of the main ones and I always feel like I'm making them very OOC when I write them. If I had to pick a canon character I'd go with Remus. He's my favorite character and I've written a few one-shots on him and I love writing him.

4. I don't write pairings often. I'm not a big romance person in fan fic and I cannot write romance well, at least in my opinion. I'm trying romance right now in Beyond the Shadow. But my favorite pairing to read is Remus/Tonks. I hate non canon pairings. Rose/Scorpius also bugs me.

5. Next Gen was the first thing I ever wrote and now it's comfortable. I won't write Hogwarts Era ever because I refuse to write (or read, except in the queue of course) someone else's take on what's happened in the Potter books. JKR has already done it and no one else's can compare. I'm such a Harry Potter nerd and I wanted more after Deathly Hallows, so that's why I love Next Gen so much. But I also love Marauders Era.

We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already:
My Stories (12+)

#4 aimeeaaa

aimeeaaa

New student

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Hi,
I am a kind of an old reader, not that old but since the second book.
I love your series, and when you wrote a chapter a week I always looked forward for a new chapter.
I'm not really a reviewer, so I've only reviewed a couple of times under different names.

So I'm going to try and make up some undumb questions :).
1. Did you think of Kaden the moment you made the series up, or only in the end of the first book?
2. Which is your favorite book in your Ablus series?
3. Do you read your storys?
4. Can you write more about Madam Pomfrey, you do her really well.
5. Please pleeease don't make this the last book about Amy.
6. Do you have any nice Slytherins in your book? I always thought its impossible for a quarter of hogwarts to be evil.
7. You mentioned you don't like Rose/Scorpius above, but on your favorite list Still Delicate is on it.
8. Which fanfic author do you look up to most?
9. What are some of your favorite fanfic storys except the ones your list?
10. Am I asking totally boring, questions?

Aimeee

Edited by aimeeaaa, 20 September 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#5 Gryffin_Duck

Gryffin_Duck

• Senior Staff
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:51 AM

Hii! So glad that you've been reading my stories for so long and been enjoying them. :) Thanks for the questions!

1. Did you think of Kaden the moment you made the series up, or only in the end of the first book?
2. Which is your favorite book in your Ablus series?
3. Do you read your storys?
4. Can you write more about Madam Pomfrey, you do her really well.
5. Please pleeease don't make this the last book about Amy.
6. Do you have any nice Slytherins in your book? I always thought its impossible for a quarter of hogwarts to be evil.
7. You mentioned you don't like Rose/Scorpius above, but on your favorite list Still Delicate is on it.
8. Which fanfic author do you look up to most?
9. What are some of your favorite fanfic storys except the ones your list?
10. Am I asking totally boring, questions?

1. I thought up Kaden partway through Secrets Within. I was very excited to introduce him in Tracks They Left Behind because it just seemed so interesting that Dudley could have a kid who was a wizard.

2. My favorite is Tracks They Left Behind. I feel that that novel solidified my characters' personalities the most and it directly related to the Marauders Era, which is my favorite era to read.

3. Occasionally I read through them to check for continuity issues, but it's always slightly weird. I've written so much that sometimes I read through them and realize that I had totally forgotten about something I had written and that's always very odd to realize.

4. I could possibly write more about Madam Pomfrey. She'll always be a minor character in my Albus series, but I'll think about writing another one-shot about her. She's a very interesting character.

5. Aww, I'm not making any promises. I love writing about Amy, but the possibility of a third book is not something I'm going to commit to, especially not at this point. I've wanted to move on to writing other stuff, so I'm leaning towards not writing anymore about her. But we shall see. :)

6. I do have nice Slytherins. Actually, one of the more recent chapters of Lost Legacy has a nice Slytherin in it. She's a very minor character, but she's there.

7. I do hate Rose/Scorpius, but I love Delicate and Still Delicate. They are both written so well and I love the portrayal of Rose in them. I don't like Scorpius and I really hope they don't wind up together in it, though. Took me quite a while to actually read those but after a few months curiosity got the better of me and now I'm hooked.

8. Moonylupin. She writes mostly Marauder stories and her stories are what got me into fan fiction. She just has a way of writing the Marauders that is different from how anyone else does it and I love it.

9. Other people's stories? Or my own? My favorite of my own one-shots is Like Coming Home. My favorite fan fic written by someone else is You Want to Make a Memory? by Moonylupin.

10. Absolutely not! :D I adore answering questions on my MTA. :)

My Stories (12+)

#6 aimeeaaa

aimeeaaa

New student

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

Me again :p
1. Out of Matt, Kaden, John, Albus, Rose and Amanda do you have a favorite?
2. How old were you when you started writing?
3. Do you write anything other then Harry Potter fanfic?
4. Do you like any uncannon parings?
5. Are you on Pottermore?
6, Do you know how write horror well?
7. What are some of your other hobbies other then writing?
8. Can you list your main six characters by age for me?
9. You just update randomly now right?
10. This isn't a question but.... your new one shot is brilliant

#7 Gryffin_Duck

Gryffin_Duck

• Senior Staff
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:46 PM

Yay, more questions!!! :D

1. Out of Matt, Kaden, John, Albus, Rose and Amanda do you have a favorite?
2. How old were you when you started writing?
3. Do you write anything other then Harry Potter fanfic?
4. Do you like any uncannon parings?
5. Are you on Pottermore?
6, Do you know how write horror well?
7. What are some of your other hobbies other then writing?
8. Can you list your main six characters by age for me?
9. You just update randomly now right?
10. This isn't a question but.... your new one shot is brilliant

1. Matt is my favorite. He's been my favorite ever since I first created my OCs, which is why I decided to write an entire novel about him and his sister. It's also why he tends to have more scenes than the others in the Albus novels.

2. When I started writing period? I was fairly young. I made up stories and elaborate "plays" that starred my beanie babies in elementary school, but I didn't write anything down until middle school. Then I stopped for a few years and got back into writing when I was in my senior year of high school. I started writing fan fic when I was 18.

3. Yes, I write original fiction. Most of it never sees the light of day as it's pretty terrible. But I'm working on an original novel that I hope to publish, so I won't be putting it online anywhere.

4. Not really. :p I'm a huge stickler for canon and most non-canon pairings make me cringe. The only one that I actually enjoy reading is Remus/Lily, but only if Lily still winds up with James in the end. :p

5. Yes. I'm FelicisFlight50. If you friend me there, be sure to drop me a PM here to let me know who you are, as I don't accept anyone I do not know (whether online or in real life).

6. Nope. I have never attempted horror, so I'd probably be pretty terrible at it. I don't read horror either, which means that I'm sure I'd be pretty terrible at writing it.

7. I love artistic and creative things. I like to take pictures, draw, and attempt the occasional graphic (although they're pretty awful; my artistic abilities seem to be limited to non-digital things). I also like to knit, I love to read, and hang out with friends.

8. Their ages right now, as of Path Left Untrodden? The last chapter I posted takes place in October (or very early November), so all of them except Kaden are 14. Kaden is 13. John is the oldest of the 6 and will be turning 15 in December.

9. Yes, I just update randomly. The reason I had such steady regular updates for so long was because I started the series long before I found HPFF and had Secrets Within finished before I started posting it here. Then, for the first 6 months on HPFF, I had to go through the queue which resulted in about a chapter per week. After I got TA status I continued that pattern. Then last year I ran out of chapters, so between school and validating and writing I don't have enough to do steady updates anymore.

10. Aww, I'm glad you enjoyed it!!! It was really fun to write.

My Stories (12+)

#8 Pheonix_Feather123

Pheonix_Feather123

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

Hi! Its me again. I think you might of heard enough of me from all me e-mails but i just made a account on the forums and want to ask you questions on here! p.s. i am sorry if my story plot is a lot like yours, but i changed it and its waiting for vadilation.
time for questions!
1. How did you make up all the characters? I try to but its so hard!
2. How many Albus Potter books are you going to write?
3. Who is your favorite proffeser in your books?
4. Are you a girl or a boy? I can't tell from for books and I usally like to know those things so I can understand their point of veiw better. you don't have to answer this question if you don't want to.
5. Am I bothering you?
Beautiful signature and avatar by Kelso @ TDA!!
Posted Image
MTA PAGE (12+)| HPFF (All stories 12+)

#9 Gryffin_Duck

Gryffin_Duck

• Senior Staff
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

Hi! I adore questions, so don't worry about it. :) I validated your story, but please do try to keep the similarities to a minimum. I've had issues with plagiarism, so I've had to ban all use of my characters as well as small plot points.

1. How did you make up all the characters? I try to but its so hard! Most of them just pop into my head, fully formed. As I write their personalities grow and develop, but I don't really have a formula for it. The more I write, the more well developed they are. That's why the characters that appear in multiple of my novels are the most well rounded.

2. How many Albus Potter books are you going to write? I want to write seven, but I'm going to take a break once I finish the fourth.

3. Who is your favorite proffeser in your books? That's a tough one! Probably Professor Balladanis just because he's so complicated and I have a whole back story for him.

4. Are you a girl or a boy? I can't tell from for books and I usally like to know those things so I can understand their point of veiw better. you don't have to answer this question if you don't want to. I'm a girl. :) I like knowing this when I read a book, too.

5. Am I bothering you? Not at all! Feel free to ask me more questions! :)

My Stories (12+)

#10 Pheonix_Feather123

Pheonix_Feather123

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Back again!
1. Why did you decide to write a complete story of Matt and Amy?
2. I remembered that you used to be Gryffindor on the forums, why did you change to Hufflepuff?
3. How did you find HPFF? I found it by looking up albus potter stories on google, found you, then started reading other stories when I finished yours.
4. What do you like writing the best? One-Shots or Novels?
5. Are you from the USA or from Britain? I noticed some of your words such as 'favorite' is written like an american. (like me!) but you write 'mom' like 'mum'.
Thats all i have for now, but I might ask some more later!
Posted Image

#11 Gryffin_Duck

Gryffin_Duck

• Senior Staff
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

Back again!
1. Why did you decide to write a complete story of Matt and Amy?
2. I remembered that you used to be Gryffindor on the forums, why did you change to Hufflepuff?
3. How did you find HPFF? I found it by looking up albus potter stories on google, found you, then started reading other stories when I finished yours.
4. What do you like writing the best? One-Shots or Novels?
5. Are you from the USA or from Britain? I noticed some of your words such as 'favorite' is written like an american. (like me!) but you write 'mom' like 'mum'.
Thats all i have for now, but I might ask some more later!

Yay, more questions! :wub:

1. Matt was one of the few characters from my Albus series who popped into my head fully formed. When I started that series I had two plot points: One that Albus would have a werewolf friend, and two, Albus would be in Slytherin. Obviously I changed my mind on that last one. :p But then when time came around for Matt to tell his story to his friends, I realized I had far too much back story for a story that was about Albus. So I decided to write a whole novel about Matt, but do it from Amy's point of view. I did it from her point of view for a couple reasons. One, I am far better at writing teenage girls than eight-year-old boys. Two, it was Amy's life that changed so drastically when her family moved, not Matt's. Three, I wanted to explore the huge transformation she went from before she moved to the end of her fourth year. Then in my third Albus story, I revealed a bit more about Matt's past that I'd gone over in In Moonlight's Shadow.

2. I was a Gryffindor up until two months ago or so. There weren't very many Hufflepuff staffers so I switched to help out for the House Cup. But I'll probably stick with Hufflepuff because I'm very much more a 'puff than I am a Gryffie. I'm not at all courageous. :p

3. I think I just googled Harry Potter Fan Fiction. I used to read on MNFF, but their archive had a huge crash back in 2007 resulting in months of nobody being able to update anything, so I started looking around for a new archive. I found HPFF, loved the layout, the search function (as a librarian, I'm a sucker for a good search function. ;) ), and the forum community. MNFF doesn't have that.

4. Novels! Up until recently I wasn't able to write anything short. That changed when I took fiction workshop in undergrad, when I was forced to write short stories. But I still don't enjoy them as much as I enjoy novels.

5. I'm from the USA. I change words around to British words for my FF, but I don't change spellings. So I change 'mom' to 'mum', but not 'favorite' to 'favourite'. Changing spellings would take too much effort and I don't think it takes much away, because they're read the same way. But one thing that bugs me is when there are obvious Britishism errors, such as using 'mom' instead of 'mum.' So I change those.

My Stories (12+)

#12 Pheonix_Feather123

Pheonix_Feather123

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Back once again (man, I am annoying, coming here so much :p)
1, Are you going to make more Madam Promfey One shots? I love the ones you write!
2, Do you read a lot of fan fiction that other people write, or do you read enough when you Vadilate storys and focous more on you own stories?
3, Do you design your own banners for your stories on TDA, or do you mostly ask other people to do it for you?
4, Why did you make matt a werewolf, and why one that can't take Wolfsbane?
5, Why did you make a few one shots of Madam Promfey?
6, Do you like Voldemort stories? And if you do, are you going to write any? I love reading Voldemort comics, and since your my favorite author, I thought you could write some good ones. :)
That is all for now, but you never know if more quesions pop into my mind!
Posted Image

#13 Gryffin_Duck

Gryffin_Duck

• Senior Staff
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

Back once again (man, I am annoying, coming here so much :p)
1, Are you going to make more Madam Promfey One shots? I love the ones you write!
2, Do you read a lot of fan fiction that other people write, or do you read enough when you Vadilate storys and focous more on you own stories?
3, Do you design your own banners for your stories on TDA, or do you mostly ask other people to do it for you?
4, Why did you make matt a werewolf, and why one that can't take Wolfsbane?
5, Why did you make a few one shots of Madam Promfey?
6, Do you like Voldemort stories? And if you do, are you going to write any? I love reading Voldemort comics, and since your my favorite author, I thought you could write some good ones. :)
That is all for now, but you never know if more quesions pop into my mind!

Aww, you're not annoying!

1. I'm glad you like my Madam Pomfrey stories! I may write more. It all just depends if the inspiration strikes. I really love writing about her.

2. I used to read a lot more fan fiction than I do now, mostly because I had a lot more time on my hands when I started reading fan fiction. :laugh: I do read plenty in the queue, but it's rare that I find one that I truly love, mainly because I'm very picky about the fan fictions I read. There are a few stories that I'm currently reading, though.

3. :rotflol: I made the banner for In Moonlight's Shadow. So if you look at that one you'll see why I usually go to TDA for banners. ;) I'd love to one day be able to make nice banners, but I don't have the patience to mess with the graphics software right now.

4. I made Matt a werewolf because werewolves fascinate me and Remus is my favorite Harry Potter character. I chose to have him not be able to take Wolfsbane because I thought it was an interesting idea. There aren't any medications that work for all people for a certain disease, so I didn't think lycanthropy would be any different. Plus, a werewolf on Wolfsbane attending Hogwarts isn't nearly as interesting or scandalous as one not on Wolfsbane attending Hogwarts. ;)

5. I chose to write about Madam Pomfrey because my mom is a school nurse. She's told me many stories from work and I thought it would be interesting to explore the Hogwarts nurse's work.

6. I'm not a huge fan of Voldemort stories. Sorry! He's such a complex character and I haven't found one where he seems canon enough. I don't think I'll ever write one, either.

My Stories (12+)

#14 MargaretLane

MargaretLane

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

I guess my main question would be if you planned out the entire Albus series before you started it or if you plan out a story or two at a time? It's so brilliantly detailed.

250l56r.gif

Nano Mammy to 1917farmgirl, VioletBlade, AliceDancer orderofthephoenix and Akussa.

#15 Gryffin_Duck

Gryffin_Duck

• Senior Staff
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

I guess my main question would be if you planned out the entire Albus series before you started it or if you plan out a story or two at a time? It's so brilliantly detailed.

First, thank you so much for all the lovely reviews! :wub: I am in the process of replying to them all.

Actually, when I started this series I literally had two plot points and that was it. I was going to make Albus a Slytherin and he was going to have a werewolf friend. As you know, only one of those worked out. :p So, no, I don't plan them in advance. I plan them one at a time, and they evolve as I go. I often come up with a few plot points for the next one as I'm writing the current one, but that's it. As of right now, I have no idea what will happen in the sixth and seventh. And I only have a few vague ideas for the fifth. :laugh:

My Stories (12+)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users