#1 Beeezie

Beeezie

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:19 AM

About My Writing
I like to write. More specifically, I like to write about things we didn't really see in the books. I love writing in the Marauders and Next-Gen eras, and I'm growing to really enjoy writing about the Potter family in the early/mid twentieth century.

I also like to write to keep things consistent across my stories. The Victoire you meet in Fish Out of Water is the same Victoire you see in The Dark Side of the Moon. OCs and departments get referenced and reused. In some ways, it is a bit limiting, but I also find that I usually don't want to leave that universe. There are so many facets I can write about that I suspect it will be awhile until I get bored.

Some of my writing is very fluffy and sweet and romantic. Some of it goes deeper and darker than that. I'm always looking to become more versatile as a writer - it'd be nice to have at least one thing on my author's page for everyone to enjoy.

In post Hogwarts and next-gen, one of those is dangerous creatures being the next big bad - the Dangerous Creatures Bureau (or the D.C.B.) makes many appearances throughout my stories.

In Marauders, I mostly focus on the war, other than my James/Lily (which is pretty much fluffy and happy).

--

Posted Image
^ Credit to... er... me. (I made the awards for all the winners.)

Other
The Thing With Feathers [15+] (one-shot)
early 1900s
James's parents' first meeting.

Memories and Time [M] (WIP; one chapter)
mid-1900s
Dragon pox epidemics have ravaged Diana Potter's life. She remembers them all.

Marauders
A Light in the Dark [15+] (one-shot)
December 1976
Conversation in the Three Broomsticks between Lily and James just before Christmas in their sixth year.

A Light That Never Goes Out [15+] (WIP; 9 chapters)
1977-1978
Lily/James. Series of one-shots set in their seventh year. The first one starts with Lily asking James out; I wanted to shy away from the love/hate relationship a lot of people portray.

Any Port in a Storm [M] (one-shot)
January 1979
Marlene McKinnon/Gideon Prewett. Gideon tries to comfort Marlene as a blizzard rages outside.

Pandora's Box [M] (WIP; 3 chapters)
Spring - Autumn 1980
Remus/Jane (OC). Is the sudden string of deaths among muggleborn patients at St. Mungo's coincidence, or is there something more sinister at work?

Shadows in the Mirror [M] (one-shot)
Winter 1980
Dorcas Meadowes. There are darker mirrors than Erised in the Wizarding World.

Hogwarts
Fools and Heroes [15+] (one-shot)
May 1998
An encounter between Astoria Greengrass and her sister Daphne during the Battle of Hogwarts.

Post-Hogwarts
Ghost in the Machine [M] (WIP; 2 chapters)
May 1998 - September 2004
Focuses on Lavender's recovery from her injuries.

Ghosts in the Attic [M] (WIP; 5 chapters)
May 1998 - August 2009
Focuses on Andromeda and Narcissa's relationship (or lack thereof) after the war.

Neville and the Dragon Research Bureau
Spring 2002
Written for the House Cup. Neville Longbottom visits the Dragon Research Bureau.

Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon [15+] (one-shot)
October 2002
Padma's dragon research is interrupted by a hysterical note from Parvati.

Next-Gen
The Better Gryffindor [15+] (3 chapters)
Fall 2016
One-shots about James and Roxanne in their first year.

Shenanigans and Hi-Jinks [M] (one-shot)
August 2016
Victoire and Fred have missed the Hogwarts Express.

In a Brown Study [M] (one-shot)
December 2016
Teddy is trying to get his mind off Victoire and failing miserably.

Fish out of Water [15+] (two-shot)
August 2017
Teddy/Victoire. Story of how Teddy and Victoire start going out in the first place.

Achilles Heel [15+] (WIP; 2 chapters)
September 2017 - 2022
Rose/Scorpius. Rose and Scorpius's encounters on the Hogwarts Express.

Fortune Favors the Bold [M] (one-shot)
December 2017
Teddy/Victoire. Victoire sneaks out of Hogwarts the night before they leave for Christmas holiday so that she can spend a quiet unsupervised night with Teddy Lupin in his flat.

Albus Potter and the Worst Excuses Ever [15+] (one-shot)
February 2021 - April 2024
Albus comes up with terrible excuses when he gets asked out.

Cloud Nine [M] (one-shot)
September 2021
Teddy/Victoire. Teddy has something to ask her...

Curiosity is Not a Sin [15+] (WIP; 26 chapters)
Fall 2021
Rose/Scorpius. How Rose and Scorpius get over their animosity and start going out... or not.

Dark Side of the Moon [M] (WIP; 7 chapters)
November 2021
Teddy/Victoire. Victoire may or may not have been bitten by a werewolf.

The Devil Is In the Details [M] (WIP; 4 chapters)
Spring 2023
James and his girlfriend try to figure out whether she can deal with his career aspirations.

Handprint [15+] (one-shot)
April 2024
Lily is skipping class and generally feeling unhappy because James has landed himself in St. Mungo's. (Again.)

The Albatross [15+] (WIP; 6 chapters)
Fall + Winter 2025
Lily decides to run away from home and go live with one of her Dursley cousins.

I also have one parody story that falls outside of my general universe:

Butterfly of Doom [15+] (one-shot)
Marauders Era
You could always tell good people by their glossy hair and good posture.

--

So... there it is. Ask me things.

Edited by stargazer, 01 August 2012 - 07:55 PM.

Thanks to nymeria for the sig! | Thanks to rebel_heart for the icon!

5arxva.png

Stories [12+] | TDA [15+]

#2 Jade.Sterling

Jade.Sterling

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:27 AM

Hello! :)

What's your favorite OTC?
Which cannon character do you most relate to and why?
If you had to turn one of your fics into a movie, which would it be and why?

:)

Posted Image

Only Power Remains {M}

Tom Riddle/OC

**Thanks to Rollerblades @TDA for my lovely sig!**

#3 Beeezie

Beeezie

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:07 AM

Ooo, I have questions to answer! Exciting! :)

What's your favorite OTC?

Hmm. I don't think I really have one. I guess the closest thing I have might actually be Dominique, which sounds odd to anyone who's familiar with my writing because I still don't have any stories posted that are focused on her. However, she keeps managing to work her way into a lot of my stories despite that, and a big part of why I have the slash warning on the majority of my fics is that I don't want a chapter to get rejected because I mention her girlfriend.

Hopefully, everyone else will like my Dominique as much as I do when her stories go up. She's a really fun character to write.

Her two major loves are football and dragons. She got into football when she was little because her friend Hannah's father (who is muggleborn) took them to a game, and keeps trying to get other wizards into it, too. She even starts up a football tournament at Hogwarts. (It is so much fun writing her explaining the offside rule to a bunch of wizards.) After she left Hogwarts, she went to the Dragon Research Bureau to play with dragons and get her hair burned off.

She was a Ravenclaw at school - she's highly logical and intellectual, which has frequently been a problem for her in her relationships. However, she's also fearless to the point of being reckless a lot of the time, which made it a close call for the Sorting Hat.

Dominique is just so much fun to write, in ways that I can't really describe without actually having a story to show it. She's a bit like my Rose in that she has some very deep... limitations, I guess, in the way she processes the world.

At this point, I have a harder time reading other Dominiques than any other next-gen character, despite how little I have posted about her right now.

So I guess Dominique. :p

Which cannon character do you most relate to and why?

Either Harry or Fleur.

Which I know is a really, really weird pair to be torn between.

Fleur is definitely a little judgmental and arrogant, but she's also really a fundamentally good and brave person, which... well I can relate to. And Harry's anger and inability to ask for help and general avoidance really make me identify with him, too.

If you had to turn one of your fics into a movie, which would it be and why?

Of the ones currently posted, probably The Better Gryffindor [15+] or Ghost in the Machine [M], because they have the most action. The Better Gryffindor is basically Roxanne and James being destructive first years (including setting off fireworks in potionsand stealing a bludger), and Ghost in the Machine is about Lavender after the war and where her life ends up leading. It will eventually have lots of monsters, and the CGI would be awesome.

Of all of the ones I'm working on, probably Offside, because I love football and think that watching wizards trying to understand it would be hilarious.

Edited by Beeezie, 17 November 2011 - 01:08 AM.

5arxva.png

#4 grangerdanger76

grangerdanger76

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:39 AM

Okay just a few questions! I am a huge fan of your work!

What is your favorite story to write?
How long do you write each day?
Where do you get inspiration?
How long have you been writting?
Favorite pair (couple) to write?
Any advise to an aspiring author on HPFF?

GRANGERDANGER76 (12+-M) || Ravenclaw / QTR Editor

Bulletproof Weeks- NaNo Rebel - 45,000/30,000 

#5 Beeezie

Beeezie

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

Okay just a few questions! I am a huge fan of your work!

Oh yay! I love MTA questions. :)

What is your favorite story to write?

That's actually a really hard one! Hmm.

Probably Ghost in the Machine [M]. That's my Lavender story. I know it's not my most popular fic, and it only has two chapters published right now, and it's definitely not each to write, but it feels the most rewarding when I look over a chapter and think that I got it right.

How long do you write each day?

Depends on the day. When I'm feeling inspired, I can easily sit down and write for hours. On average, I probably spend 1-3 hours a day on writing and another hour on editing.

Where do you get inspiration?

Oooh, this is always a tough question for me!

Sometimes inspiration for a fic just hits me out of the blue. I often draw on my own life, especially in terms of characterization. And... well, to be entirely honest, I'm often inspired to write something when I don't like the way other people are writing it.

That sounds really egotistical, so let me back up. I dislike a lot of the stereotypes and cliches that are prominent in fanfiction, because I end up feeling like even well-written stories that I like are kind of interchangeable. I want to see something new, and when it's not there, I often am inspired to write it.

I love (love, love) next-gen, but there are a lot of things I don't love about how it's written. Nearly everyone seems to be Rose and Albus's age, or around there - I didn't like that, so I changed it. In my next-gen universe, the cousins are fairly spread out, and most are not in the same year.

I also wrote a lot of them differently. Anyone who has read any of my Victoire fics knows that she is a far cry from the dainty, vain, blonde veela she's often written as. My Victoire has a tendency to overanalyze, is a bit of a klutz, and fights manticores and trolls for a living. (Also, she may or may not be a werewolf... I'm in the middle of that storyline in The Dark Side of the Moon [M].)

My Dominique is also very different than any Dominique I have ever seen. If anyone is at all familiar with attachment style, her approach to romantic relationships is classic dismissive-avoidant, which leaves lots of heartbroken girls in her path. She's also a football fanatic and a dragon researcher, and while I do think of her as being gorgeous, she mostly doesn't care about her appearance.

So those are two examples of how I've written some of the next-gens a little differently. I like to think that my Rose and Scorpius are a pretty far cry from the stereotype as well, but I'm not sure.

How long have you been writting?

Creative writing in general, it's been over a decade. Fanfiction, it's been almost a year.

Favorite pair (couple) to write?

I think I'm going to have to go with Teddy/Victoire, because their lives in general are much more interesting in the stories I've written for them than other couples I've written.

Any advise to an aspiring author on HPFF?

Definitely!

Utilize the Grammar Guidelines section. I can't stress that enough. An author who has a firm grasp on the mechanics of writing is often more enjoyable than an author who doesn't, and it shows that you put time into your work.

Read the site rules and take advantage of the tutorials. In particular, I recommend becoming very familiar with the ones about language - early on, I got a lot of rejections because I didn't really properly understand what language required what rating (even when I read the tutorials - it was a ditz moment), and even though I haven't made any mistakes for a long time and am very, very careful, I know that those mistakes early on will make TA status much harder to come by.

Use the review requests section. Be prepared for CC when you do, because a lot of the reviewers will definitely give it. It's not because they don't like you, it's because they want to help you make your story better. Even when you decide that you don't agree with them - and that's okay! - try to be gracious in your response. I've filled 159 requests and only gotten three responses that I can think of that weren't polite and courteous, and I can tell you that those were enough to put me off the authors.

I'm so glad you like my work, and I really appreciate your support! :hug:

Edited by Beeezie, 21 December 2011 - 12:27 PM.

5arxva.png

#6 Guest_CloakAuror9_Guest

Guest_CloakAuror9_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

What am I doing here?! (Duh, procrastinating from my reviews of course!)

Okay so what I was a little intrigued by this MTA of yours and I'd really like to know one thing...

What keeps you going? I mean you're working on like so much stories right now and entering so many challenges I can barely keep up with my reviews for your stories. So I'm sure there's something somewhere in you that keeps you going? A childhood ambition perhaps?

#7 Beeezie

Beeezie

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

What keeps you going? I mean you're working on like so much stories right now and entering so many challenges I can barely keep up with my reviews for your stories. So I'm sure there's something somewhere in you that keeps you going? A childhood ambition perhaps?

Hmm. Good question.

I guess the real answer is that I'm a pretty manic person in a lot of ways. I'm always doing something - I'm not really the kind of person who really needs a lot of relaxation/not-do-anything time. Change of scenery, yes, but I hate being idle. That tendency, which is really a major part of my personality and always has been, really ultimately means that I'm a lot more productive than many people are.

Edited by Beeezie, 21 December 2011 - 10:36 PM.

5arxva.png

#8 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the swap :)

1.) Name one ship, era and character you would most likely never write, and explain why.
2.) Name one thing that almost always attracts you to a story.
3.) Name one thing that almost always turns you off to a story.
4.) Are there any authors and/or stories that you particularly admire on the archives?
5.) Lastly, care to share one of your writing-related "resolutions" for 2012?

As a side note, your idea for a novella about witchcraft among the wives of Henry VIII sounds really good. I'm looking forward to it!

stories (12+ to M) || reviews (12+) || beta services (12+)
devilry_sig_zpse7e33c8b.png
awesome set by easterlies@TDA

#9 Beeezie

Beeezie

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for the swap :)

1.) Name one ship, era and character you would most likely never write, and explain why.

Oooh. Good question!

Ship: Lily/Snape. (Which is funny, considering that you asked me the question.) I really, really hate that ship. Part of it is that I really love James and James/Lily, but more of it is that I actually really don't think that Snape ever did anything to deserve Lily. It's not just about his fascination with the dark arts - that's the least of it to me. The memories that we see really show him to be controlling, dismissive of her feelings, and amoral. I found Snape interesting up to that point, but now he just reminds me vaguely of Edward Cullen. (For me, that is not a compliment.)

Era: Hmm. Probably pre-Hogwarts, to be honest. I just don't care much about the era.

Character: Oh, this one is hard. Probably Snape, though - again, he just makes my skin crawl in a way that not even Bellatrix and Voldemort can. Lily had died 17 years ago when he died. She'd cut off contact with him years before that. It's not normal or healthy to stay so fixated.

2.) Name one thing that almost always attracts you to a story.

Grammar. I love the English language and everything about it, so good grammar makes it significantly more likely that I will like the story.

3.) Name one thing that almost always turns you off to a story.

Implausibility. Unless the story is supposed to be ridiculous, I have a very hard time suspending my disbelief if something just doesn't seem to make sense. That makes some ships a hard sell for me (like Dramione), and there are also certain themes (huge parties with lots of substance use at Hogwarts, for example) that I have a lot of trouble with. I like creativity in fanfiction, but at least to me, creativity is not the same thing as unbelievable.

4.) Are there any authors and/or stories that you particularly admire on the archives?

Hmm. Well, I was actually a secret santa for blueirony, and I really enjoyed reading her work. She has this amazing way of really capturing the human condition, and I highly recommend checking her out. :) I'm also a big fan of some of your stories, "In the End" in particular.

5.) Lastly, care to share one of your writing-related "resolutions" for 2012?

I want to have every WIP I have posted right now completed by this time next year.

As a side note, your idea for a novella about witchcraft among the wives of Henry VIII sounds really good. I'm looking forward to it!

Oh, yay! :)

5arxva.png

#10 Ariellem

Ariellem

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hello! Thank you for swapping with me!

1). Out of every character you've written which one would you say is your favorite?
2). Out of every character you've ever written which one is most like you!
3). What is one pairing you'd most like to write? But whenever you try to you hit a wall.
4). Favorite song from the Smiths?
5). Favorite character from any book you've ever read?

Posted Image

sig by andersonhummel @tumblr

My stories (M)

#11 Beeezie

Beeezie

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

Hello! Thank you for swapping with me!

Thank you! academica had a great idea. I love these MTA swaps already. :)

1). Out of every character you've written which one would you say is your favorite?

That's a hard one, and it changes depending on the day. At this point, probably Victoire, but tomorrow it could easily be Lavender or Noah Nott.

2). Out of every character you've ever written which one is most like you!

Hmm. Also a hard one! I really try to make each character I write from the pov of enough like me for me to really be able to empathize with them, and there are certain characters that are very like certain facets of my personality. At this point, though, probably Dominique.

And not just because she loves Arsenal. :p

3). What is one pairing you'd most like to write? But whenever you try to you hit a wall.

Seamus/Parvati. I like them together. In my next-gen universe they definitely are together. But every time I sit down to try and write a story centered on them, I get stuck.

4). Favorite song from the Smiths?

"There is a Light That Never Goes Out" or "Cemetery Gates," though I really love a lot of their songs.

5). Favorite character from any book you've ever read?

Amusingly enough - and I'm being serious here - Harry Potter. I love Harry, especially in OotP. (I'm still being serious.) He reminds me of me when I was a teenage, except without the evil wizard thing. :p

5arxva.png

#12 Sophie_Hatter

Sophie_Hatter

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hello! Here I am with my questions!

1) I know you love to review - is there anything that you've reviewed that you thought you'd hate, but actually you loved, or that has broadened your likes/dislikes?
2) Of the original books, which is your least favourite and why?
3) HP fans seem to like bashing the films, so I wondered - is there anything that you think was done better in the films than the books?
4) Which pairing do you feel is generally the best written? And the worst?
5) What's your fanfiction guilty pleasure? The ship, story or style that you love even if the rest of the world doesn't, or you feel that you shouldn't?

Edited by Sophie_Hatter, 02 January 2012 - 09:33 AM.

Claws for the Cup!

Evolution (M) ~ Hearts and Arrows (12+) ~ The Grapevine (15+)

Posted Image

Set by justonemorefic

#13 Beeezie

Beeezie

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hello! Here I am with my questions!

Yay!

1) I know you love to review - is there anything that you've reviewed that you thought you'd hate, but actually you loved, or that has broadened your likes/dislikes?

Hmm. I wouldn't say that there's anything that I reviewed that I thought I would outright hate, because while there are pairings that I'm not comfortable with, I really try to avoid them.

However, one fic does come to mind that broadened my tastes. I never had any particular interest in founders era fics - I didn't have anything against them, and would review them, but I never sought them out. However, MajiKat's Nova Magica Ars [15+] (which has unfortunately not been updated for awhile) really opened my eyes, and has led to my appreciation of the era.

2) Of the original books, which is your least favourite and why?

Hmm. Probably Goblet of Fire. I didn't really love Harry in it - I think that was really the point where he started to turn from innocent child to angry teenager, and I felt like the in-between part was just a little boring - and since Harry is my favorite character, how much I like him in any particular book has a large bearing on how I feel about the book itself.

3) HP fans seem to like bashing the films, so I wondered - is there anything that you think was done better in the films than the books?

Yes. Most definitely.

Ron has always been my least favorite member of the trio. It's not that I don't like him. I do. I just find him to sometimes be a bit whiny and self-centered. As such, I didn't really have any sympathy toward him in DH when he stormed out on Harry and Hermione. In the movie, however, something about the delivery of the scene really made me sympathize with Ron and feel for him, which is more than I ever felt reading the book.

4) Which pairing do you feel is generally the best written? And the worst?

Oooh. That's a hard one.

I'm not sure which pairing is generally the best written, but I do think that Harry/Ginny is definitely up there. (I mean, look at Evolution! Great example of the ship.) At least that I've seen, you don't really sit down to write a Harry/Ginny unless you're a big fan of the characters and the pairing, and if you like something that's relatively unpopular, you're a lot more likely to get it right.

Worst written... I want to say Dramione, but I don't actually think that Dramiones are any worse than Snape/Hermione or Scabior/Hermione. They're just more common.

I'm actually going to go with Lily/James. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of real gems out there, but there are also a lot of fics that portray them in a very two-dimensional way. People take the one interaction we saw between them in their fifth year and exaggerate it so that James asks Lily every time he sees her and Lily is downright cruel to him. That's just so unrealistic to me, and goes counter to everything we know about Lily and everything common sense tells us about teenage boys. Again, a lot of great fics out there, but a lot of cliched and simplistic ones as well.

5) What's your fanfiction guilty pleasure? The ship, story or style that you love even if the rest of the world doesn't, or you feel that you shouldn't?

I don't really think I have one, to be honest. I'm sure that some of the things I like are a little odd (though I can't think of what they might be), but there's nothing that I'd call a guilty pleasure. (I know. I'm boring.)

5arxva.png

#14 Jade.Sterling

Jade.Sterling

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi! :)

1) What's your favorite story that you have written?
2) Do you wish that your most popular story was a different story? I guess ... do you think another story of yours deserves more attention than the one that gets the most?
3) What is your absolute least favorite pairing and why? :)

Posted Image

Only Power Remains {M}

Tom Riddle/OC

**Thanks to Rollerblades @TDA for my lovely sig!**

#15 Cassius Alcinder

Cassius Alcinder

Awesome

• Prefect
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

I think I owe you some questions now

1) Are there any characters you haven't written about yet that you might want to?

2) You had a very intersting idea with the Dangerous Creatures Bureau, do you plan on expanding that more? maybe making a whole series about it?

3) Which of your stories has been the most enjoyable to write?

4) How do you think Arsene Wegner would react if you took him to a quidditch match?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users