46 replies to this topic

#46 Penelope Inkwell

Penelope Inkwell

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:19 PM

So, you have this incredibly detailed fic--Pride and Pestilence--which consistently amazes me.  And I have questions!

1)  Your story sounds like it could come straight from the pen of a Jane Austen contemporary.  It’s astounding.  What kind of work goes into recreating that style.  Do you research language and vocabulary, or does it come solely from reading a lot of literature from that era.

2)  So, a Next-Gen AU in which the Wizarding War is reset to have been the Napoleonic wars (do I have that right?  I know it was in France), and the whole thing is set back in the Regency Era.  When/How did this occur to you?  And, if you’re like me and are always having little “plot bunnies” hopping into your head, what made you say, "This one.  I’m going to write this one,”?  (I’m very glad you did!)

3)  I really enjoy your writing, obviously, but so far Pride and Pestilence is all I’ve read.  And you have a pretty sizable body of work (you may have noticed ;) )  So, if you were to suggest which of your other stories I should begin with, which would it be?

4)  You seem very meticulous in your construction of each chapter.  On average, how long does it take to write a chapter of P&P?  

5)  How has your writing experience with P&P differed from the rest of your stories.

6)  Any teasers or hints you can give us about the future of this story?  If not, that’s perfectly fair.  A writer must guard her secrets, of course!  But are there any tidbits you’d be willing to give us?  Anything in particular you think HP/Austen fans might should be watching out for/looking forward to?

You are inspiring and amazing!  Just thought I should throw that out there.  Because really, this story is incredible.  Thanks for writing it.

--Penny

yjIphbe.png

(Traitorous Hearts)15+

Lovely signature image by Modthryth@TDA

#47 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:32 AM

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner! Thank you very much for your questions - it's wonderful to hear that you're enjoying that story so much. :happy:

1)  Your story sounds like it could come straight from the pen of a Jane Austen contemporary.  It’s astounding.  What kind of work goes into recreating that style.  Do you research language and vocabulary, or does it come solely from reading a lot of literature from that era.

A lot of it comes from reading literature from the era and taking note of the language and its rhythm. Reading the history and looking at art from the period is another must, mostly to describe the fashions and get an idea of what kind of careers would appeal to the characters. I'm really glad that the story seems like it could come out of the period because the style is the most difficult aspect of the story to write.

For the magical aspects of the story and understanding how people of the Regency era would have used magic, I read some Regency fantasy novels, including Mairelon the MagicianSorcery and Cecelia, and Shades of Milk and Honey. Another one I read a few years ago that inspired me was Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell, which goes into more detail of how magic could have been used during the Napoleonic Wars. Wow, now it feels like I've put years of research into this story, but really this story is just the result of my love for this period.

2)  So, a Next-Gen AU in which the Wizarding War is reset to have been the Napoleonic wars (do I have that right?  I know it was in France), and the whole thing is set back in the Regency Era.  When/How did this occur to you?  And, if you’re like me and are always having little “plot bunnies” hopping into your head, what made you say, "This one.  I’m going to write this one,”? 

It's something I haven't completely worked out, but the Wizarding War roughly corresponds with the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars. It's one of my favourite periods in history, and I've been reading about it for years, so when I thought about writing a Regency AU, I could see how the history of the Potterverse and actual history might fit together. There are still holes, like how would I explain the Marauders era and the first war, but I deal with details like that only when I need them.

(To be exact, because the history nerd in me is flailing a little: the revolution in the wizarding world occurs when the pureblooded Death Eaters rise, believing that muggleborns and halfbloods have corrupted the bloodlines and taken control of the government and the royal family. When Voldemort was brought back to life around 1788-1790, he claimed to be the real heir to the throne, and assisted by the Malfoys and Lestranges, he infiltrates the French Ministry and brings down the monarchy. Thanks to my childhood love of the Scarlet Pimpernel story, I placed Harry into that role - he goes into France with his friends and rescues people from the guillotine.)

It's an old plot bunny, actually. There was talk a few years ago about writing a collaborative Regency story, but it never happened. The idea of it stuck with me and eventually I figured out how I could merge it with my desire to write a positive Rose/Scorpius story. And because of it, I've come to like the ship, if only within the context of a Regency AU. :p

3)  I really enjoy your writing, obviously, but so far Pride and Pestilence is all I’ve read.  And you have a pretty sizable body of work (you may have noticed ;) )  So, if you were to suggest which of your other stories I should begin with, which would it be?

Is it sad that I can't pick? There are too many. P&P is one of my rare happy stories - my last two Lily/James stories are closet to that mood and style. Out of Time is my personal favourite and it also has a 19th century style to it, but it's darker, more of a Gothic romance. 

4)  You seem very meticulous in your construction of each chapter.  On average, how long does it take to write a chapter of P&P? 

Once I start, it takes about a week, but starting is the problem. It can take weeks or months to actually get started.

5)  How has your writing experience with P&P differed from the rest of your stories.

Yes, mostly because it's lighter, both humorous and happy, and because it has a large cast of characters. Giving them all the development they deserve while still focusing on Rose and Scorpius without becoming distracted by the history is at times overwhelming. I don't know how 19th century authors dealt with so many characters at once - no wonder the novels were huge! 

6)  Any teasers or hints you can give us about the future of this story?  If not, that’s perfectly fair.  A writer must guard her secrets, of course!  But are there any tidbits you’d be willing to give us?  Anything in particular you think HP/Austen fans might should be watching out for/looking forward to?

Scorpius's first proposal is coming soon - it's a very awkward moment, especially because Mrs. Malfoy is hanging about. And one reviewer suggested that Mr. Fitzgerald not be a rake like Wickham; instead his scandalous past has to do with dark magic, which will complicate things for Lily. ;)

need a banner? try The Dark Arts (12+)
vaguelyclear5-1.png  vaguelyclear4-1.png  vaguelyclear3-1.png
Fanfiction ;; Graphics ;; MTA
above links 12+ | icons by vaguelyclear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users