46 replies to this topic

#16 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

Perhaps not a tragedy, lol! It's wonderful of you to have stopped by, and you've come up with great questions to answer. :D

1.) If you could only choose one "under-appreciated" character, who would you most like to see highlighted more in stories?
Currently, it's Mad-Eye Moody, though usually it's Peter for the obvious reasons, but since others have been adding to the collection of Peter stories, I've found that Moody is another under-appreciated character who has a lot more potential for interesting stories. McGonagall now has a complete story behind her thanks to Pottermore, but Moody remains enigmatic, and he's little more than a caricature in the series. Every time I look around for stories about Moody for inspiration, I come up short - yours is the main one I can think of off the top of my head. ;)

2.) Name one quality that almost always attracts you to a story.
Something unusual, out-of-the-ordinary, with different ways of looking at common cliches or storylines. I used to think that it was genre and characters, but I can read even fluff if it's done in an interesting way. I like being surprised, but I've read a lot, and it gets harder and harder to be surprised.

3.) Name one quality that almost always turns you off to reading a story.
Characters who are irrationally happy and contented with their lives. Even in real life, those people annoy me. :p It's why fluff is on my "must avoid" list. Characters need depth and complexity for me to be interested in the story.

4.) If you had the power to banish one ship from the HP fanfiction world, what would it be and why?
Haha, you know the answer! Scorpius/Rose for certain. It's not even the ship itself that bothers me, but rather how people hold it up as the greatest ship ever when it's got a lot of flaws - stories like "Delicate" and "Still Delicate" show us this, but still I see people reviewing those stories swearing that they'll die if Scorpius and Rose don't get together. It's sad when people take shipping so seriously.

5.) Lastly, could you reveal one of your writing "resolutions" for the New Year?
It's the same as it is every year (now who's the pathetic one? Me.) - to finish a story. I did finish one WIP last year, but I also started three more. It's a losing battle. :laugh:

need a banner? try The Dark Arts (12+)
vaguelyclear5-1.png  vaguelyclear4-1.png  vaguelyclear3-1.png
Fanfiction ;; Graphics ;; MTA
above links 12+ | icons by vaguelyclear

#17 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

Hi! Thanks for the swap :) So, confession time -- I realized a little while ago that I read The Third Man and Seasons of Discontent sometime around when I first joined HPFF, back before I was reviewing stories as one should. But I want you to know that I loved them both :)

Hmm... it's hard to know what to ask. How about this -- if you were forced to choose to focus on only plot, characterization, or imagery for a story, which would you choose and why? Also, how you would like to challenge yourself as an author and artist in the coming months? Finally, I know you've been asked this before, but do you have any more advice for up-and-coming authors who wish they could be you?

stories (12+ to M)
devilry_sig_zpse7e33c8b.png
fantastic set by easterlies@TDA

#18 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

It's great to be able to do a swap! I often forget to make use of MTAs or can't think of good questions, so it's helpful to swap and push myself to do something in here. :D And you read those and loved them? Even the horribly long and painful Lily story? Wow! Thank you! It means a lot that you loved them. :happy:

Now for your questions:

If you were forced to choose to focus on only plot, characterization, or imagery for a story, which would you choose and why?
Never plot because they're overrated. :p But which of the other two? I love doing character studies in order to properly explore a character's history, personality, and system of beliefs, and often I catch myself becoming too introspective in my WIPs, veering away from the plot to simply delve further into this character's mind and gain a greater understanding of how that mind works. It would be very difficult to not focus on imagery, but I'd still choose characterization because it's always been the characters that I've loved writing about, putting them into strange situations and watching what happens as a result.

Also, how you would like to challenge yourself as an author and artist in the coming months?
For the film noir challenge, I want to write a reverse chronology multi-chaptered story (inspired by another challenge, since completed) that, because of the way the story's told, misleads the reader. Being misleading isn't new for me, but trying to plot out a story in reverse and still have it make sense is. I've done it in one-shots, but they did not have plots. Another challenge will be finishing off as many of my WIPs I can manage, as completing things is difficult because I hate letting go - once a story is done, everything about it leaves my head, and there are some stories that I never want to end.

Finally, I know you've been asked this before, but do you have any more advice for up-and-coming authors who wish they could be you?
:unsure: Don't be me?

What about this: read everything, watch everything (and everyone), keep an open mind, work with what you're good at and learn how to do what you're not. Also remember to be thankful of anything people are willing to give - advice, support, etc. - because it's when you start taking it for granted that you falter.

#19 Jchrissy

Jchrissy

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 690 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

Violet Gryfindor, your writing is amazing! I have only gone through the first page, but it is all incredible. What is your favorite Era to write about, and why?
-JChrissy

Edited by Jchrissy, 14 May 2012 - 11:52 PM.

Posted Image

As Darkness Descends(M)

Perfect set by heartfelt. @ TDA

#20 valehm

valehm

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:39 AM

Most of my questions have already been answered and I have to thank you for taking the time to answer. I love your writing so I think I still have some questions though.
How do you give your characters so much depth? Do you write about them apart from your main story, or do you make a list of traits? Or does it all just flow in you head?
Also, how do you get their era and surroundings to fit perfectly? Do you do some research or ask people about what it was like back then? Or do you learn it from old films and books?
It's really captivating how you deepen your story in plot and all. It's really nice to read and I love the imagery. :D

sh2d.pngsh1d.pngsh3d.png

#21 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Violet Gryfindor, your writing is amazing! I have only gone through the first page, but it is all incredible. What is your favorite Era to write about, and why?
-JChrissy

Thank you very much! :happy: Wow, the whole first page - I wouldn't have guessed that you did that (and don't know why, they're a strange combination of stories from the last 2 years), but I'm glad that you like them. :)

My favourite era? It's a toss up between "Other" and "Next Generation" - both eras have a good balance of canon information and free reign, providing just enough background to build from and a lot of room to be creative. I don't know if I could choose between them though because they appeal to different parts of my head - Other is where I go for angst while I go for Next Gen when I want to write something more amusing, not necessarily lighter in terms of fluff, but certainly not as dark. Thanks for the question! :D

Most of my questions have already been answered and I have to thank you for taking the time to answer. I love your writing so I think I still have some questions though.
How do you give your characters so much depth? Do you write about them apart from your main story, or do you make a list of traits? Or does it all just flow in you head?
Also, how do you get their era and surroundings to fit perfectly? Do you do some research or ask people about what it was like back then? Or do you learn it from old films and books?
It's really captivating how you deepen your story in plot and all. It's really nice to read and I love the imagery. :D

Thank you as well! I don't know if I can answer your questions all that well because I don't think that much about those things when writing - it's all become habit now, but hopefully I can help you out a bit. :)

1. I haven't done a "character creation chart" in years, but I do think ahead of time what kind of person I generally want this character to be, then I just let them grow from that point, letting the inconsistencies and growth happen naturally in reaction to what's going on in the story. It's more realistic that way because things happen to people in real life and they have to react to them, doing so in often unexpected ways. For my main characters, I spend a lot of time in their heads, which is why there's so much internal thought going on in my stories - it slows the plot, but allows one to understand the character better, and I find that more important than moving the plot along (though rushing a character through things can also have really interesting results).

2. It comes from being a history buff. :p I read a lot of history books growing up and I do watch way too many old movies, so I'm mostly just writing what I remember from those. For Black Sands I did extra research on Tutankhamun's tomb, for Out of Time I had to check a lot of dates for WWII, and for Pride and Pesitilence I had fun looking up fashions from 1817, but that's it. I love adding in those extra realistic details because they add to the atmosphere and make the story clearer in my head - if I can see what those latest fashions LIly is always talking about in P&P, I can better guess at how Rose will react to them (here are some examples of those dresses - 12+). The little things can make a big difference in a story, and there's nothing wrong with being a stickler for detail. :D

#22 TenthWeasleyWriter

TenthWeasleyWriter

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

Surprise! Your stories have been giving me a lot of emotions lately, so I'm trying to counteract that with a few questions. :D

1. If you had to dye your hair any color other than the color it is now, what color would you dye it and why?

2. What book, the Harry Potter series aside, has been most influential in your writing?

3. Do you prefer writing novels, short stories, or one-shots?

4. You've got to ask someone to the Yule Ball. How would you do it?

5. What famous mustache (i.e. Stalin, Dali, Twain) inspires you most?

yaHCK0O_zps34710904.png 

beautiful set by !badwolf @ TDA

hpff author's page (12+ thru m)

#23 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:55 AM

How did I miss your post? :ohmy: My stories giving you feelings? This is all very serious!

1. If you had to dye your hair any color other than the color it is now, what color would you dye it and why?
I've never actually dyed my hair before, but I've always wanted red hair. A nice kind of dark ginger would be perfect (then I could claim to be a Weasley... or a Pond). It's a unique colour, which would be preferable to my current nondescript colour.

2. What book, the Harry Potter series aside, has been most influential in your writing?
Most influential? There are so many, but I'll limit myself to one and go with The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. It's a strange cross between action thriller (set during the French Revolution) and romantic fluff, and for some reason when I was 12, it inspired me to start writing. It does, however, begin with one of the most intense scenes I've ever read, and the whole novel captured my imagination and ran away with it... very fast.... I'm still hoping to catch up. :p

3. Do you prefer writing novels, short stories, or one-shots?
I think I still like writing novels/novellas best because there's so much time to develop things and think them over carefully. I can write them in bits and pieces rather than all at once - one-shots require so much more energy and restraint, whereas with a novel, I feel as though I can just go and let the story take its own course. Short stories are interesting because they're a combination of the two - maybe once I've finished the three I've got going, I can let you know more about how they worked out. ;)

4. You've got to ask someone to the Yule Ball. How would you do it?

It depends on how accessible the person is, though I'm generally rubbish at asking people for things, always afraid that they'll say no. Chances are I'd be very flustered and would either stutter my way through or ask it so off-handedly so as not to appear too interested in the answer. Haha, I would probably end up asking it like Ron did Hermione, and it would likewise be a disaster. XD

5. What famous mustache (i.e. Stalin, Dali, Twain) inspires you most?

Charlie Chaplin's just because. :D

Thank you for these questions! :hug:

Edited by Violet Gryfindor, 26 June 2012 - 12:56 AM.

#24 WitnesstoitAll

WitnesstoitAll

Fifth Year

• Prefect
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

So I've (very) slowly been making my way through the one shots on your page and am all sorts of enamoured with your writing. So, here I am with some questions for you!!

1. Of the stories I've read, it seems that characters really drive your writing. Do you tend to have the characterization that you're portraying in your head before you start writing or does it develop as you write? Have you ever been surprised with where a characterization ended up?

2. Of the characters within the HP-verse, which one would you most like to write but haven't yet?

3. You can take any fictional character to dinner. Who would it be and why?

4. Do you secretly have a Timeturner? Between all of your writing and graphics, I swear there must be 36 hours in your days. SHARE YOUR SECRETS. :wub:

5. What is your current favorite WIP on the archive?

With All Things (M)

"and somewhere in the mix of it all, lives a love story"

Posted Image

Signature and Icon by justonemorefic <3

#25 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:09 AM

More questions! :happy: Thank you very much, Melissa! There are certainly a lot of one-shots there (there must be 40 now... oh dear), but it means a lot to hear that you like what you've read so far. :D

1. Of the stories I've read, it seems that characters really drive your writing. Do you tend to have the characterization that you're portraying in your head before you start writing or does it develop as you write? Have you ever been surprised with where a characterization ended up?
It's a bit of both. I start with a sketch of the character - the kind of personality I need to fill a particular role, broadly painted for the most part - then I let it develop as I go on, which allows the plot to develop with the character rather than around them. It makes the character seem more natural because I can focus on the "showing" of a character's traits and flaws. Most of the time I am surprised, and usually this is what leads to the many spin-offs I've written because I just get so fascinated with a character - be they major or minor - and I need to do more with them to better explore their potential. Grimm is a prime example of this, but so are McGonagall and Lily Potter (from WTA).

2. Of the characters within the HP-verse, which one would you most like to write but haven't yet?
I've always wanted to write Luna, but for some reason, I've neither found the chance nor the inspiration.

3. You can take any fictional character to dinner. Who would it be and why?
But it has to be a character who would actually want to come to dinner, which excludes a few right away. :p So I'd love to say Sherlock Holmes and imagine him making snarky observations about all the others in the restaurant, but he's not really the eating type. If one invited Dr. Jekyll, you might instead get Hyde. Dorian Gray would be too vain. Mr. Darcy too reserved. Mr. Rochester too intense. And I doubt that Snape would be interested in the least. lol, I'll turn to TV and say Patrick Jane from The Mentalist. Yes, that would be a very nice dinner. ;)

4. Do you secretly have a Timeturner? Between all of your writing and graphics, I swear there must be 36 hours in your days. SHARE YOUR SECRETS. :wub:
WHAT DO YOU MEAN? I'M ALWAYS BEHIND ON EVERYTHING! I can't tell you how many stories I have to read/review, or how far I'm behind in updating my own. <_< There's never enough time, but I'm able to do what I do get to by not being a proper adult - I'm a grad student, of English no less, and therefore spending my time reading and writing is just what I do. :p It becomes a challenge during the school year when I also have to teach, or when I'm writing exams (like I will be in August) - then it's all about planning ahead and keeping organized. So I'll keep one night a week to make a graphic, then I'll spend the next writing, then on the next I'll read. But no matter what, I never get as much done I'd like.

5. What is your current favorite WIP on the archive?
I'm very much enjoying academica's Post Scriptum (M), but I also closely follow Behind the Curtain (15+), Enough (M), and The Steep and Thorny Way to Heaven (M). It's generally hard for me to keep up with WIPs because of my erratic reading schedule for fanfiction, but these are the stories I try to make a point of regularly reading because they're of outstanding quality. :)

#26 TheHouseElf

TheHouseElf

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

Erm, hi Susan, I'm kind of in awe a bit right now and a little very nervous because you are just legendary. Had to get that out there. So, questions...
  • When did you start writing? Your work is just sublime :wub:
  • The emotions in your work are very realistic, you can jerk a tear or coax a laugh out, how do you do it?
  • Are you ever going to publish a novel? Please say yes!
  • What's your favourite item of clothing?
  • If you could be close friends with anyone in the world, who would it be? Absolutely anyone, real or not ;)
I think that's enough questions for now :p

Aisha

Edited by TheHouseElf, 27 August 2012 - 06:07 PM.

I be Aisha. Milady@TDA

30rpb8l.jpg
Gallery|Author's Page|Cluedo[M]| MTA
Page

#27 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

Thank you for the questions, Aisha! I'm sorry I didn't get to them sooner! There's no reason to be nervous - my reputation is much scarier than I am (even I'm nervous about it). :ph34r:

1. When did you start writing? Your work is just sublime :wub:

*blushes* Thanks! I'm glad that you think so! I've been writing for about thirteen years now, though even as a child, I liked doing creative writing assignments for school. But once I was a teenager, I discovered fanfiction and Internet archives and never looked back. :D

2. The emotions in your work are very realistic, you can jerk a tear or coax a laugh out, how do you do it?

I wish I knew exactly how it worked. My muse is sparked by emotion - so after experiencing powerful feelings, I write better, focusing the emotion into the story. But it also happens the other way around, where I can write a character's feelings so that I feel them too - if a character's pain can make me cry, then I know I've got it right. It means sinking deeply into a character's mind, experiencing the world as they would - you have to become the character, like an actor would. I don't know how else to describe it other than to say it's a lot like acting.

3. Are you ever going to publish a novel? Please say yes!

If a publisher will buy what I write, then I will. ;) Though with the market as it is these days, I could pull an E.L. James and take the book industry by storm... if only I could decide on which of my plot bunnies to write first. I've dreamed of being a famous writer for years, and I'd love for it to become reality.

4. What's your favourite item of clothing?

Generally or specifically? If generally, I love scarves and have a nice collection of all types and colours. If specifically, then a lovely blue summer skirt that I try not to wear all the time. :p

5. If you could be close friends with anyone in the world, who would it be? Absolutely anyone, real or not ;)

This is a tough one. I hope that dead people count, because I'd love to be friends with Jane Austen. Of all the writers, she'd be the most fun to know, intelligent, witty, and kind-hearted. Her birthday is only a few days before mine, so I know we'd get on. :happy:

#28 patronus_charm

patronus_charm

Prefect

• Prefect
  • 674 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

I just had to ask you some questions as I've just finished reading Winner Takes All (which was great by the way ;D) and one of the first ever fan fictions I read was The Fires Within which was just amazing!

1. Considering your name is Violet Gryffindor how come you're a Hufflepuff?

2. What's your opinion on Dramione?

3. If you could bring back one Harry Potter character from the dead which one would it be and why?

oHj3rse.gif
author page [12+]| mta [12+] | gallery [15+]

currently writing: essays for school :(

#29 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

I'm sorry for not seeing this post earlier!  Thank you very much for coming by, and for those wonderful compliments!  :blushing:

1. Considering your name is Violet Gryffindor how come you're a Hufflepuff?

*grumbles* Okay, so the story is that I'm rubbish at coming up with pennames. I knew I wanted Violet, but I needed something else, so being 17 and generally silly, I chose Gryfindor.  It's not even spelled correctly!  At the time, I thought that it was cooler to be a Gryffindor, but it didn't take me long to realize that I was really a Ravenpuff. Originally, I was a Ravenclaw on HPFF, but they needed more Hufflepuffs, so I changed houses. :)

2. What's your opinion on Dramione?

If it's done well, it can make for an interesting story.  Rarely, it can even make for a great story.  I think this ship has more potential in the Post-Hogwarts era, though even then you run into the problem of what to do with their respective spouses. It's very important to me that Ron is treated well as a character - he has his failings, but it doesn't make sense to portray him as a villain (at most he's an emotional teaspoon :p).  It's a difficult ship to make work in a plausible way that carefully takes canon into account, but if an author takes the time and the effort, then I have no problem reading (and enjoying) such a story.

3. If you could bring back one Harry Potter character from the dead which one would it be and why?

Once I would have said Sirius Black without thinking, but now I'd have to say Tonks. Her death was perhaps the most frustrating because it seemed so pointless. That was JKR's point, to show a more realistic approach to war, where anyone can die, and she wanted readers to feel anger at so much waste, but Tonks had a lot of potential as a character. She was the one female Auror we saw at work - she was respected by the best and was an important member of the Order. I also want her to be there for Teddy because the series is already marked by dead mothers - is JKR making Teddy into a next-generation Harry or Neville? Tonks' death bothers me. :twitch:

#30 Debra20

Debra20

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 492 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Why is your page so lonely? Let me bring some Out of Time love to it :D

1. Out of Time is one of the most complex stories I have ever read, both in characterization and in plot handling. How did you go about writing it to not utterly confuse yourself? Or did it confuse you? :p

2. Did you do any particular research for it?

3. Did you plan it? The plot I mean

4. One thing I've noticed about many of your original characters is that you have a very distinct voice for each. What do you think is the secret of creating an OC that people can easily relate to up to the point of considering them canon (when writing fanfiction, but not only)? I mean, do you follow any given process when creating new characters?

-removed by staff-

Edited by accioHPFF, 31 March 2013 - 02:36 PM.

breathtaking set by that guy.@TDA (12+)

c5V5a9T.png

My Stories (12+ to M) \\ MTA (12+) \\ Review Thread (12+)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users