46 replies to this topic

#1 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:31 AM

Welcome to my new MTA page! I had an older one, but it got out of date rather fast, probably because I write too much too often, and it's difficult to keep up with the numbers. ;)

My Stories, rated 12+ to Mature

I've been writing on HPFF since late 2004, primarily dark and dramatic stories, often without happy endings, or at least unconventional sorts of endings. Mystery and suspense are my preferred genres, but I also have an affection for historical fiction and a good bit of tear-jerking angst. Most of my inspiration comes from music, whatever book I'm reading at the time - often old literary stuff - and classic movies. Photoshopping is the other online hobby, the one that steals my time away from writing (and responding to reviews, which I'm notoriously slow at).

If you have any questions about my stories or writing, feel free to ask. :happy:
My Signature

need a banner? try The Dark Arts (12+)
vaguelyclear5-1.png  vaguelyclear4-1.png  vaguelyclear3-1.png
Fanfiction ;; Graphics ;; MTA
above links 12+ | icons by vaguelyclear

#2 forsakenphoenix

forsakenphoenix

Caretaker of Magical Creatures

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:37 AM

Hi Susan!

1. What are your favorite pairings to write?
2. What is your favorite piece that YOU have written and why?
3. Who are your favorite authors in real life and fanfiction?
4. What is your "process" for writing?

Thanks. :)
My Signature

Posted Image

missy | hpff [12+ to M]

fab sig by violet gryfindor

#3 TheVividImagination

TheVividImagination

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:34 AM

One question for now ;)

1. What gave you the idea of Teddy and Rose as a pairing?
My Signature

tumblr_inline_n8k2wzKlGn1qmr2zz.gif

(gorg set by emmaweasley)

~ TBBAYMBWHAPABYHDBWNOHPWHT ~

Hufflepuff for House Cup 2014

#4 lilypotterfan123

lilypotterfan123

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

So I'm a sucker for your writing, especially your two tom/minerva pieces!

1. What inspires you to write dark stories and how do you manage to end them with a different mood to what they started (not super happy but it is a little happier)?

2. When you write about Alastor Moody its almost as if JK has written it herself, how do you get the characterisation so perfect with him and is he easy to write about?

thank you. :happy:
My Signature

click the link in the sig, my stories, Both links are 15+
Posted Image
sig by me.

#5 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:27 AM

Hi Susan!

1. What are your favorite pairings to write?
2. What is your favorite piece that YOU have written and why?
3. Who are your favorite authors in real life and fanfiction?
4. What is your "process" for writing?

Thanks. :)

Hey Missy! Thanks for the questions! :happy:

1. At the moment, they're Tom/Minerva and Teddy/Rose. I've only written two Tom/Minerva stories, but with the last one, I've been reminded how great a ship it is to write.

2. This is a hard one. >< Because I don't think any of it is good. If I go by what I enjoy re-reading, then I'll say Out of Time (15+) because the complexities of the plot are fascinating, and I have to admit that making Moody into a romantic hero is so insane that I can't help but love it. XD

3. I'll answer this one with Top 5 lists. :p
Real Life: Oscar Wilde, Jane Austen, James Joyce, Virginia Woolf, and J.K. Rowling.
Fanfiction: You, timeturner, GubraithianFire, RonsGirlFriday, and celticbard

4. It's not particularly complicated: Come up with the idea. Let it stew (thinking of characters, plot, and a theme/style). Make a banner. Start to write.

I have to have a theme or style in mind while writing, perhaps an image that will get repeated throughout, or a certain narrative voice, or an author whose style I'm trying to recreate, or even a song that applies well to the plot bunny. Without this in mind, I can't do anything with my initial idea.

One question for now ;)

1. What gave you the idea of Teddy and Rose as a pairing?

Oh dear, this will take some thought because I know that I saw someone else write it first, and I just liked the idea of the ship rather than the conventional Scorose or Teddoire that everyone was writing. There was a group of us who were trying all sorts of experimental ships, and Teddy/Rose was one that stood out to me - I liked both characters and found them fairly easy to write, so why not, eh?

Even now as I'm planning a Teddy/Rose novel (the sequel to Winner Takes All), I just like the way that both characters interact with one another. They're not tragic lovers or overly dramatic with one another, which is a change from many fanfiction romances that I find refreshing. :)

Thank you for the question! It really made me think, and I hope that I answered it to your satisfaction. ;)

So I'm a sucker for your writing, especially your two tom/minerva pieces!

1. What inspires you to write dark stories and how do you manage to end them with a different mood to what they started (not super happy but it is a little happier)?

2. When you write about Alastor Moody its almost as if JK has written it herself, how do you get the characterisation so perfect with him and is he easy to write about?

thank you. :happy:

Thank you very much for the compliment. *blushes* It's great to hear that you like those two stories!

1. I like dark stories? That doesn't really answer your question, though it's the truth. It comes from a long-term love of Poe, Hitchcock, and mystery stories in general (instilled from birth, I often think). Those kind of stories have more depth to them for me, forcing characters into difficult situations that encourage development and are generally thought-provoking.

As for the endings, I was once told that I never wrote happy endings, so I tried to give at least a little bit of hope to my poor, suffering characters. :p I don't like happy endings because they're not realistic, not when they're written in the fairytale-like way - what I do now is try to find the middle ground.

2. This is a good question, and I frequently look back at the passages about him in the series to get a feel for his mannerisms and ways of speaking. He has such a unique personality in the books that it's more than a little daunting to write him without worrying that I'm getting him all wrong (good to know that it's not the case, though, thank you!). I'm far more careful writing him than I am with any other canon character, so I suppose that he's not at all easy to write. Not in the same way that I write McGonagall or even Voldemort - they're easier to capture.

Edited by Violet Gryfindor, 23 August 2011 - 01:28 AM.

My Signature

#6 forsakenphoenix

forsakenphoenix

Caretaker of Magical Creatures

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:52 AM

Going off the whole process thing again, I guess to clarify, do you plan when you write? So you start off with characters, plot, theme...but do you write out how each chapter should be written/what content needs to be in each chapter or do you just...write as you go?

If you do plan, what happens when a new plot bunny comes in and completely changes your original idea around? And how do you find that to work for you in terms of finishing stories?

I'm more of a "I'll just write on the fly"/stream of consciousness kind of writer which is probably why I'm the worst person ever when it comes to writing novels so I'm curious as to what you do. Maybe one day I can write chaptered stories too. :p
My Signature

Posted Image

missy | hpff [12+ to M]

fab sig by violet gryfindor

#7 Debra20

Debra20

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 492 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:51 AM

Violet I must say that I am a big fan of your writing. I love reading about your characters and your ideas are just incredible. They are really different from most of the stories on the Archives :wub: So I have some questions too :D

1. Does something particular inspire you? Maybe a song, a passage from a novel, a real life event, maybe an unusual ship?
2. Do you research for your longer fics? If yes, how much time does it take until you are convinced that you have everything planned out??
3. How do you think you accomplished yourself in writing? What is your secret? :p What's your advice for novice writers? Especially for those that don't have English as their first language so it's always harder for them to learn to write engagingly in a literary way (not to mention remember phrases, words, etc) like me?

:hug:
My Signature

breathtaking set by that guy.@TDA (12+)

c5V5a9T.png

My Stories (12+ to M) \\ MTA (12+) \\ Review Thread (12+)

#8 TheVividImagination

TheVividImagination

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:06 AM

Thanks for answering :) Sequel to Winner Takes All? :O Inform me inform me inform me! I'm a huge fan of your work :wub:

I thought it was really unique an so un-cliched, you definitely make me want Teddy/Rose more!

How long have you been writing for? What inspired/made you want to write?
My Signature

tumblr_inline_n8k2wzKlGn1qmr2zz.gif

(gorg set by emmaweasley)

~ TBBAYMBWHAPABYHDBWNOHPWHT ~

Hufflepuff for House Cup 2014

#9 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:04 AM

Going off the whole process thing again, I guess to clarify, do you plan when you write? So you start off with characters, plot, theme...but do you write out how each chapter should be written/what content needs to be in each chapter or do you just...write as you go?

If you do plan, what happens when a new plot bunny comes in and completely changes your original idea around? And how do you find that to work for you in terms of finishing stories?

I'm more of a &quot;I'll just write on the fly&quot;/stream of consciousness kind of writer which is probably why I'm the worst person ever when it comes to writing novels so I'm curious as to what you do. Maybe one day I can write chaptered stories too.

It's difficult to explain how it happens, but I will try.

I do start with a plan of about how many chapters I want and a very basic outline of things that will happen. This includes a fairly set-in-stone ending for the romances, but never for the mysteries (so like "Harry Potter is Dead!" and "Partners in Crime", which may explain why I have such trouble updating these stories). I always write more chapters than I originally intended, and I often change my mind about the plot depending on what reviewers say.

My problem is that I have a different planning process for every one of my chaptered stories. Half of them are entirely kept within my head while the other half are saved on my computer, all with different methods of organization depending on how and when the plot bunny arrived. Each chapter is planned out ahead of time in my head - even down to certain lines as they come to me - and I cut/edit as necessary when I type it out so that it fits the word count I want.

You've just made me think about what I do, and it hurts. :p And now I realize that it's not at all consistent and really weird and confusing because most of it goes on in my head by itself, so I've stopped paying attention to how it happens. I'm sorry I can't help you more, Missy. There's no secret to it, only madness. ;)

Violet I must say that I am a big fan of your writing. I love reading about your characters and your ideas are just incredible. They are really different from most of the stories on the Archives So I have some questions too

1. Does something particular inspire you? Maybe a song, a passage from a novel, a real life event, maybe an unusual ship?
2. Do you research for your longer fics? If yes, how much time does it take until you are convinced that you have everything planned out??
3. How do you think you accomplished yourself in writing? What is your secret? What's your advice for novice writers? Especially for those that don't have English as their first language so it's always harder for them to learn to write engagingly in a literary way (not to mention remember phrases, words, etc) like me?

:hug:

Thank you very much! I remember your reviews (and am still getting to responding to some of them) and really appreciate your kind words. :happy:

1. There doesn't seem to be much that doesn't inspire me. :p Music is a significant one, and I seem to have a song for each of my stories, whole soundtracks to some of my stories. Most of the time, though, an idea will just hit me and I'll draw from numerous resources to fill out the details and make something of it, so whatever I'm reading, whatever I've been watching or been exposed to, all of it will come through in what I'm writing at a given time. (Not a very specific answer, I'm afraid)

2. Most of my research for stories includes going through the Lexicon or the books to check on dates, character facts, anything that could relate or be used within a story - for historical fics, I turn to history books, like Howard Carter's diaries for "Black Sands". My planning is very basic - simple plot structures, etc. - so the length of time between coming up with an idea and writing it too often depends on how much time I actually have to spare for writing. :(

I never feel confident enough with my research and planning, but I wait to write until the idea feels so strong in my head that I can no longer stand it - once it's written, it gets out of my head and leaves me alone and I never think about it again. Sometimes, if I leave an idea for too long, it becomes the only thing I can think about, and no matter what I have going on - which has included exams, large assignments, and work - I'm compelled to write the story before I can do anything else.

3. Even though I'm a native English speaker, I'm one who started off with terrible spelling and a peculiar style of grammar that apparently resembled poorly translated Latin. Two things helped (well, three, as it helped a lot to learn Latin to figure out what I was doing wrong). Firstly, practice - writing all the time and getting criticism and listening to that criticism even if it makes you want to cry. The more critique upsets you, the more you should listen to what it says - that's what I've done, at least, and I like to think that it's worked.

Secondly, read everything. There's no better way to learn how to write than to see how others have done it, especially to see the strange, creative things they've done, even with the simplest types of stories. It makes me jealous, but that envy drives me to want to be like them, be among them even. It's not really a secret, but it makes a difference. :)

Thanks for answering :) Sequel to Winner Takes All? Inform me inform me inform me! I'm a huge fan of your work

I thought it was really unique an so un-cliched, you definitely make me want Teddy/Rose more!

How long have you been writing for? What inspired/made you want to write?

You should definitely read more Teddy/Rose - there are some really amazing ones here at HPFF. :D They definitely inspired me to write mine!

For a very long time? Will that count? There were some stories I wrote in elementary school for class that were well-received (one about spring and the other about kittens at Christmas), and then in grade 7 or 8 I started keeping a secret journal of stories that developed into a badly-written "novel" that was eventually posted on the internet. For the most part, I wanted to write the kind of stories that I liked to read - so mysteries and adventure-romance kind of things. Number-wise, it's been more than a decade.

The one thing I can't remember is what made me want to write in the first place. It was just there. Very strange.
My Signature

#10 lilypotterfan123

lilypotterfan123

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 681 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for answering my questions! I do have some more though, hehe sorry for being such a bother...
1. So I noticed a few of your stories have titles similar to ABBA songs. Coincidence or are you an abba fan? I am *hangs head* :p

2. Ever considered the possibility of a minerva/alastor? Its just seeing as you write the two characters so well and it is a ship (with few stories around for it.), has it ever crossed your mind?

3. There are some amazing artists over at TDA (including yourself!) and many other graphic sites. Does any of their work or your own inspire you to write something based on that. Pictures are worth a thousand words, and that could make at least two one shots :p!

4.Have you ever made the banner then wrote the story?

Thanks, again. And sorry if any of these questions have been answered and i've been too lazy to actually look :) If they have just don't answer them ;)
My Signature

Posted Image
sig by me.

#11 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for posting more questions! It's fun to answer them. :happy:

1. So I noticed a few of your stories have titles similar to ABBA songs. Coincidence or are you an abba fan? I am *hangs head*
Very much so, though I blame my mother because she's a big fan, and I basically grew up listening to ABBA and the Beatles all the time, so I continue to listen out of habit. :p I like their sound for the next-generation stories, for some reason. It started with "Winner Takes All", the main inspiration of which I got from Meryl Streep's version of the song, which a friend linked me to while I was writing - something clicked, and as I continued writing next-gen stories, the ones that take place in the same "universe" as WTA all ended up having ABBA inspired titles. :D

2. Ever considered the possibility of a minerva/alastor? Its just seeing as you write the two characters so well and it is a ship (with few stories around for it.), has it ever crossed your mind?
Not before it came up on the forums recently. In canon, I didn't see it, even in the GoF scene (and that's Barty Crouch, anyway), but I suppose that it's possible. In "This Longing" they do have scenes together, and I put them in the same year and house at Hogwarts, but I never thought of having anything happen between them. It would be interesting to try, though, and if inspiration hits, I'd like to see how it would work. :)

3. There are some amazing artists over at TDA (including yourself!) and many other graphic sites. Does any of their work or your own inspire you to write something based on that. Pictures are worth a thousand words, and that could make at least two one shots!
Yes, often. Partially, it's the same UFG addiction that I know many writers here have - browsing through the available graphics to see what could make for a good story, though by that time, I usually already have my idea in mind and am just looking for that extra push to get me writing.

4.Have you ever made the banner then wrote the story?
All of the time, not only for convenience in the recently added list, but also because it helps me think about the story - the words stew in the back of my mind while I tinker around in Photoshop. I don't know exactly why I find it helpful to make the banner before or while writing, but something about creating the story in image-form really works for me. :)
My Signature

#12 lilypotterfan123

lilypotterfan123

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 681 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:20 PM

thanks again for answering more questions! Same with me, all my family are huge fans of the older music. If it wasn't for paramore I'd have a record player in my bedroom instead. Though I love the look of records, vintage.

*off topic again*

If you do ever write the ship, you have to let me know! I'm a big fan, its number 3 on my favourite ships *yep I have a list*

thank you ! :)

Edited by lilypotterfan123, 27 August 2011 - 07:24 PM.

My Signature

Posted Image
sig by me.

#13 Buckbeak4Life

Buckbeak4Life

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

Hi, I'm a massive fan of all of your work (The Third Man has to be my favourite story on the site!) and so I wondered if I could ask you a few questions...? :shy:
I saw above that you sometimes make banners before the stories, do you ever find that your making a graphic when you suddenly have an idea based on that graphic?
Have you ever written an original fic, then turn it into a fan fiction?
Do you ever go against your chosen ship in your writing, meaning, are you a Sirily shipper, or are you an L/J shipper who wrote a Sirily?
Thank you!
adahpfan/BB4L :D
My Signature

My name is Draco Malfoy. I… am a racist, I despise gingers, and mudbloods, I hate gryffindor house, and my parents work for the man who killed your parents, do you want to be my friend?

#14 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

Thank you very much! It's wonderful that you like that story (it's one of my favs - I can't believe how much people like it, though!). :happy: Of course you can ask questions - I'm always happy to answer them.

I saw above that you sometimes make banners before the stories, do you ever find that your making a graphic when you suddenly have an idea based on that graphic?
Not sure about this - I thought maybe I had once, but I can't remember what story it's for. It might have been one that I never finished writing... :S I tend to make the graphic fit the story rather than the other way around. Guess it's just the way my mind works.

Have you ever written an original fic, then turn it into a fan fiction?
Yes - Black Sands is this story. The idea has to be about ten years old by now, and I've just kept editing it and changing it as time passes. The Widening Gyre is a bit of both in that I planned the OF at the same time as the FF, then just wrote them back-to-back. It doesn't happen that often because I think FF first and foremost - I'm more likely to edit fanfiction into an original piece.

Do you ever go against your chosen ship in your writing, meaning, are you a Sirily shipper, or are you an L/J shipper who wrote a Sirily?
Yes, I've written stories in order to convince myself of a ship. This was most certainly the case with Sirily - timeturner was talking about this ship all the time, and although I was a James/Lily person, I liked what she did with Sirily and so I wanted to try it for myself. It ended up converting me completely so that I can't even write James/Lily anymore, not with a harshly bitter edge (part of this also has to do with Snily being canon now).

I'm also forcing myself to write Scorose, but in this case, it's not making me like the ship any more than before, so I think that ship's a lost cause with me. :p

Thanks for your questions! :D
My Signature

#15 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

I've really never come by to ask you any questions!? This is a tragedy.

1.) If you could only choose one "under-appreciated" character, who would you most like to see highlighted more in stories?
2.) Name one quality that almost always attracts you to a story.
3.) Name one quality that almost always turns you off to reading a story.
4.) If you had the power to banish one ship from the HP fanfiction world, what would it be and why?
5.) Lastly, could you reveal one of your writing "resolutions" for the New Year?

:flowers:
My Signature

stories (12+ to M)
devilry_sig_zpse7e33c8b.png
fantastic set by easterlies@TDA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 Ghouls, 0 Ghosts, 0 Goblins