16 replies to this topic

#1 WeasleyTwins

WeasleyTwins

Sixth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

Hello and welcome to my page!  My penname is WeasleyTwins, although most of my fellow fanfiction authors call me Shelby  :happy:

About Me:  I'm located in the United States of America.  I'd like to one day become a renowned author of literary fiction.  I'm currently an English teacher.  I began writing in the summer of 2008.  Here on HPFF you will find both older, dated works and newer stories.  As with any writer, I've progressed tremendously.  Stream of consciousness is my favorite writing technique, but I've since started to cultivate my voice and style as a novelist.  I am eccentric: books, vinyls, watermelon, pirates, cookies, talking, and wowing everyone with my adorably refined Southern accent are just a few of my favorite things.  I'm a helper and a dreamer. 

About My Stories:  My greatest strength as a writer is description.  I'm constantly working to improve my voice and style.  In the past five years, I've changed so much as an author - at one point, I wrote only in the stream of consciousness technique.  Now, I'm working on a novel centered around my OTP, Eileen and Tobias Snape. 

My Stories:

The Seams [M]

Eileen Prince is a twenty-seven year old seamstress for both the Muggle and magical communities. Her days are repetitive and quite ordinary until the morning that Tobias Snape sets foot into her shop. The stitches that come to hold their lives together are Eileen's most treasured possessions. But when the family curse threatens their happiness, will those fragile stitches be enough to keep them from unraveling?

There Will Come Soft Rains [M]

I can no longer physically run away.

Come, Sugar[M]
"I am not saved."

Pour Some Sugar On Me [M]
He has that look; a look of power and of passion.

Once, We Were Kings [M]
"I love her."

Juliette [15+]
(This piece was a featured story for many months and was written for Staff Challenge 4.)
The mint he chews intoxicates her into a false fairytale.

Behind Stained Glass Eyes [M]
(My first fanfiction ever!)
There's a room in Hogwarts that has a piece of stained glass with a white lily on it. The stem of that lily is the same color of her eyes. One night, he waits for the beauty. Not to love her as she should be loved, but to tell her. No more. He's giving someone else a chance to see what's behind those stained glass eyes.

Spark of Insanity [M]
They had been the quiet couple. Eileen and Tobias. Tobias and Eileen. To them, it sounded right: a couple with no lies and no insecurities. But one day, Tobias learns the terrible truth that has been hidden from him all these years. Despite her pleas, he can only think of revenge. Yet who would have thought that Eileen would be the one to spark his unfathomable insanity?

Other Pieces:

I Alone [M]
Morning Resolutions [12+]
Remorse [M]
Bringing in the Rain [12+]
Solecism [M]

Questions, Comments?
ASK!

Edited by stargazer, 08 July 2013 - 05:18 PM.

The Seams [M]

2013 Dobby Awards Winner for Best Minor Character

2ebbytt.png

Author's Page [M]                   Meet the Author [12+]

Gorgeous set by alchemyfreak123 @ TDA

#2 mangagirl

mangagirl

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

Heya Shelby.
I have just finnished reading through chapters 1-7 of Armageddon and its amazing so I thought I should check out your Meet the Author page.
First of all I have to say I love your story. As you said, your description is AMAZING and so is everything, especially the way you write the characters greif, its amazing!
So, questions!
1. How do you write such good description? Its amazing!
2. How long do you reacon Armageddon will be in the end?
3. When will your next update be?
4. How do you get idea's for such a great plot?
5. What are your favourite stories on HPFF?

So, there we are! Cant wait to read more of your work,
Emma

Posted Image

Gryffindor for the House Cup 2012! Set by Camila!

HPFF (12+ with some M stories)

LOTOTFCFAR * CARDIGANS FOR ETERNAL GLORY * He's OUR chosen one!

#3 WeasleyTwins

WeasleyTwins

Sixth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

Heya Shelby.
I have just finnished reading through chapters 1-7 of Armageddon and its amazing so I thought I should check out your Meet the Author page.
First of all I have to say I love your story. As you said, your description is AMAZING and so is everything, especially the way you write the characters greif, its amazing!
So, questions!
1. How do you write such good description? Its amazing!
2. How long do you reacon Armageddon will be in the end?

So, there we are! Cant wait to read more of your work,
Emma

Hi Emma! I would first like to thank you for reading [and reviewing] all of my chapters for Armageddon! I love feedback - it helps!

1. How do you write such good descriptions? Its amazing!

Why, thank you! I can't really explain how I write my descriptions. It's a matter of practice, really. I've been an avid reader all of my life and reading quality stories and authors has really helped. I try to touch on the five senses in my description, but I also like to think beyond just place description. I like to look at the description from an emotional standpoint and then work from there.

2. How long to you reacon Armageddon will be in the end?

At the beginning, I was thinking around one hundred chapters. Since then, I have reevaluated where I see my story going, and so I imagine it to be between twenty-seven to forty chapters. I know that's a bit vague, but I want to really flesh out the story. Basically, I am just taking it chapter by chapter!

I am currently taking six very rigorous college courses. When I say rigorous, that's probably an understatement. I am going to try my best to update at least once every two months, if not once a month. I won't leave you hanging for too long, I promise!

Honestly, they just pop into my head. I read a great deal and other plots often spark interesting ideas from my crazy imagination. I have a notebook of all kinds of random ideas that I draw from. Whenever I get an idea for anything, I write it down. I can often change the idea to fit Armageddon.

I don't get to read as much HPFF as I would like, but I have a few.
"The Morning Waffle" by RonsGirlFriday
"all this will ruin us" by thelandbeforecookies
"Crowning Dust" by Elesphyl
TwilightPrincess aka Ilia [on the forums] is a fantastic writer - anything by her is a gem
Violet

Thank you so much for the lovely questions!
:hug:
Shelby

The Seams [M]

2ebbytt.png

#4 MysticPhoenix

MysticPhoenix

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:46 AM

Hi there! Came to ask a few questions of my own! :)

1. What era is your favorite? Why?
2. Where do you draw inspiration for your stories?
3. You mentioned your biggest weakness is dialog. What do you do to overcome that obstacle in your writing?
4. What about watermelons do you like so much? :)

Posted Image

HPFF(12+ - M) MTA (12+)

Signature by Beeezie @ TDA and icon by Camila @ TDA

Gryffindor Pride!

#5 Jchrissy

Jchrissy

Fourth Year

• Prefect
  • 690 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hi Shelby! I'm stalking visiting ;).

1) Come, Sugar. Where did that come from? Was it a creepy shadow in your mind, or did the idea of wanting a mainly metaphorically driven story come first, and you adjusted a plot to fit it?

2) For Come, Sugar why did you choose Scorpius and Rose?

3) In Once, We Were Kings - did you always plan on it ending the way it did. Was Ly always the bad guy?

4) Besides Kings and Sugar - What story of yours is your favorite? What one are you most proud of? And - what one would you suggest I read?

5) What is your favorite things about OF to write? Short stories, poetry?

6) Do you feel like you get a lot of well deserved attention for that amazing ability you posses to create imagery and descriptions, or do you think sometimes that incredible talent is overlooked?

Thanks for letting me hassle you ;).

Posted Image

As Darkness Descends(M)

Perfect set by heartfelt. @ TDA

#6 WeasleyTwins

WeasleyTwins

Sixth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

Hi there! Came to ask a few questions of my own!

1. What era is your favorite? Why?
2. Where do you draw inspiration for your stories?
3. You mentioned your biggest weakness is dialog. What do you do to overcome that obstacle in your writing?
4. What about watermelons do you like so much?

Hello! I'm so sorry that I've responded so late! College classes are already killing (at least, emotionally and metaphorically :p)!

1. Probably Next Generation. There are so many options. JKR has set this entirely wonderful world up for us, but also sort of offered us a way to express ourselves because it's really all up in the air. I like to both read and write in the NextGen era - it's so refreshing!

2. From anything and everything. No, really. There's just something about nature, society, ideas and thoughts themselves, the multitude of belief systems, just everything makes my imagination soar. I have a highly active imagination and so things morph out of that from what I've experienced in real life.

3. Once I finish writing, I read it out loud. That doesn't always work because I'm from the Southern USA, but it helps to give me a greater grasp on what is realistic in dialogue and what is not. Aside from that, I really rely on the reviewers who get to my stories first to point out any weird or stilted dialogue.

4. It reminds me of home, summer, the suffocating heat of a beautiful Georgia day. It's just one of those things, you know?

Thank you so much for your questions! :)

Hi Shelby! I'm stalking visiting ;).

1) Come, Sugar. Where did that come from? Was it a creepy shadow in your mind, or did the idea of wanting a mainly metaphorically driven story come first, and you adjusted a plot to fit it?

2) For Come, Sugar why did you choose Scorpius and Rose?

3) In Once, We Were Kings - did you always plan on it ending the way it did. Was Ly always the bad guy?

4) Besides Kings and Sugar - What story of yours is your favorite? What one are you most proud of? And - what one would you suggest I read?

5) What is your favorite things about OF to write? Short stories, poetry?

6) Do you feel like you get a lot of well deserved attention for that amazing ability you posses to create imagery and descriptions, or do you think sometimes that incredible talent is overlooked?

Thanks for letting me hassle you ;).

You're killing me, Jami, killing me! You're just so sweet, I can't handle it! :happy:

1. This is a difficult question because I write at the most random times. Once I get in the zone, everything fades away, even the writing itself - it's like I'm in limbo and my unconscious/conscious/whatever mind just produces these pieces of writing. It's weird. But anyway, let's see if I can remember how it went. I sat down to write randomly one night. I knew I'd go stream of consciousness because that's how I always write, so I didn't really think on that. I decided to write about the very sensitive issue discussed in the story because I'd recently read something in a literature class and I wanted to bring some class and elegance to the issue (if that's even possible since it's such a horrid topic). I got through that first paragraph and then it hit me that I needed to put in something more. Something innovative in the world of fanfiction (maybe not so much in postmodern, contemporary literature). It hit me. Maybe I was craving sugar and wanted it to come to me/appear out of thin air, either way, it just sort of evolved. As for a metaphorically driven plot and the plot itself, I honestly have no idea where that came from. Like I said, once I get in the zone, it just all comes onto the paper. I don't ever remember really being cognizant of the writing or even understanding what I'm putting down on paper until I reread it. Maybe it's a sign that I'm supposed to be the next greatest writer or something? :p

2. They're my fall-back characters. I don't know if you know this, but I LOVE Eileen and Tobias Snape. They're so unexplored and there are virtually no stories about them, save mine. But I really didn't want to use my beloved OTP because the topic was just wrong, I felt. Rose & Scorpius are my next greatest loves because there are so many options for them. I wanted to pick characters that we see often in fanfiction, but give them a twist unlike anything you've seen before.

3. Once again, that story is honestly the brainchild of who-knows-what. It was even worse than Sugar. I just sat down and started writing. The only thing I remember of the entire writing process was sitting back after I was finished, rereading it, and wondering where in the world it came from. The writing of Kings and Sugar, for me, was so natural, it was like I wasn't consciously aware of the words on the paper, just that they had to come out - they had to be written down.

4. I've changed so much since I began writing fanfiction that I actually despise my first writings. But I keep them up to remind myself (and others) of the growth I've made as a writer, reader, and reviewer. Juliette is probably my third favorite (read that one, if any). I wrote it three years ago for a Staff Challenge. Granted, it's not the greatest, but it was great for me as a writer at the time. It was the start of my really honing my abilities and truly learning and practicing the craft of writing. I'm proud of it because it represents a changing time in my writing - it's my transition piece between stages. I don't go through small stages either, they're rather big stages of bad, then okay (Juliette), then good. I like I Alone too, but I don't think people really understand it and I don't either! :p My fourth favorite (discount I Alone) is probably Spark of Insanity. It was my first Eileen & Tobias piece. While I've grown so much and it needs a lot of work, it is also a representation of the strides of made in writing. I'm proud of that attempt because it was unlike anything else in fanfiction I'd read and it made me proud.

5. In OF? Definitely fiction. I'm not a poet. I've never been a poet - it's just not in my nature. I wrote a short piece for our online newspaper at my college. It was one of those that had to be 500 words or less. I whipped it up in about 10 minutes and sent it in - it was published and the editor really enjoyed it. Now, you need a bit of background. I start writing when I was 16-17 years old. Once I really found my niche in writing, I also found I didn't have time to write OF. I want to write novels - romance novels, fantasy (mild, not that crazy junk) novels, but also literary fiction. I think those three are where I want to be - can I write all of them with just different pennames? :p So, as for OF, I don't have a bit project or multiple, fabulous projects to boast about because I just haven't had the time to actually write!

6. When you asked this, my initial reaction was to be modest. But I'm not going to be modest. I think that since my more recent works,, Kings and Sugar (even my slash, Pour Some Sugar On Me), haven't really been given the praise they deserve in terms of imagery and description. Granted, I'm no famous writer of the site that everyone knows, but I also know the merit of the stories. They're not perfect, but I think the imagery and description set them apart from a lot of other work we might see on this site. Maybe it has been overlooked - it's quite possible. I don't want to sound conceited, but I know very well that they're good stories for the most part. The small little monster inside me that likes to come out on occasion wishes that Kings and Sugar got more site-wide attention for the descriptions, the imagery, the emotions. But in the end, it's reviewers like you that make me glad I write regardless of any sort of lack of attention. (And now back to modesty - you shouldn't fill my head with such notions about amazing talent! :happy: )

Thank you so much (both of you) for the wonderful questions! :hug:

The Seams [M]

2ebbytt.png

#7 Guest_XYZ_Emily_Guest

Guest_XYZ_Emily_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hi there! Halfway through your Once We Were Kings review, and it was so amazing that I thought I'd see if you had an MTA page. Turns out, you do!
Everyone has so many questions, but I only really have one. In school, I was pretty good at 'creative writing' and I could write a decent piece of descriptive writing, but one thing I was never really very good at was my metaphors and similes. Yours are just so perfect and fitting, and I just wondered, how do you come up with them?

Is there anything in particular that inspires your descriptions?

I really do love reading your stuff, it makes a change from all the fluff I've been obsessed with reading lately ;)

Em :) (PS - So sorry about the lateness of your Kings review, RL and all that!)

#8 WeasleyTwins

WeasleyTwins

Sixth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hi there! Halfway through your Once We Were Kings review, and it was so amazing that I thought I'd see if you had an MTA page. Turns out, you do!
Everyone has so many questions, but I only really have one. In school, I was pretty good at 'creative writing' and I could write a decent piece of descriptive writing, but one thing I was never really very good at was my metaphors and similes. Yours are just so perfect and fitting, and I just wondered, how do you come up with them?

I really do love reading your stuff, it makes a change from all the fluff I've been obsessed with reading lately ;)

Em :) (PS - So sorry about the lateness of your Kings review, RL and all that!)

Hi Em!  I'm so very sorry I'm just now getting to this (holy crap, it's been months and months since you wrote this - shame on me!).  Please accept my most sincere apologies! -gives flowers and cookies-

You know, this is one of those questions that is nearly impossible to answer in a few sentences.  I have always been a very unique and different person who sees things so much more abstractly than others.  Not that we're not all different, but I've always thought that there is a special lens through which I see the world that is so unlike anyone else's.  When I'm writing something like Once, We Were Kings or Come, Sugar or There Will Come Soft Rains, I try to immerse myself into the story.  I try to become one with the writing - I try to become the words - I know that sounds like I'm completely nutters, but it's what I do.  We're all avid readers and writers on this site and that's how I can become the words.  I slip into what I like to call my Writer's Imagination.  It's the place in my conscious where everything that I've ever read, experienced, said, thought, observed, or imagined form to create these metaphors and similes.  I try to find a new way to describe something.  I take all of the aforementioned aspects and put everything into words. Specifically, I'm inspired by nature, by experience and observations, by music, by other written word - however, I'm always careful when I'm inspired by music or other works - I do not want to copy them in any way, not even phrases - I do let particular words and what they mean to me and what I believe they mean in my story influence how I write. 

I wish there was a way I could explain simply the way I come up with metaphors and similes.  Practice, practice, practice.  When I edit my work, I check all of my descriptions and such to make sure that I'm not using anything that is too common or cliched.  I strive to be original without being completely batty or out there. 

Thank you so much for stopping by!  I'm sorry for such a dreadfully late response and I do hope my answer made some sort of sense!  (I'm so glad you like reading my writing - that makes me incredibly happy! :) )

:happy:

Edited by WeasleyTwins, 18 April 2013 - 02:53 PM.

The Seams [M]

2ebbytt.png

#9 nott theodore

nott theodore

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

Hi Shelby! :bye:  I love your story The Seams and I've got some questions to ask you:

1 - You say Eileen and Tobias are your OTP - why?

2 - What gave you the idea for the novel about them?

3 - What's your favourite thing about writing FF?

4 - How did you get started on HPFF?

5 - Who are your favourite authors?

6 - Do you plan your stories all the way through or just go with the flow when you write?

25yyfjl.png

Icon and signature by Violet@TDA

My stories [12+] My MTA [12+]

#10 WeasleyTwins

WeasleyTwins

Sixth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

Hi Shelby! :bye:  I love your story The Seams and I've got some questions to ask you:

1 - You say Eileen and Tobias are your OTP - why?

2 - What gave you the idea for the novel about them?

3 - What's your favourite thing about writing FF?

4 - How did you get started on HPFF?

5 - Who are your favourite authors?

6 - Do you plan your stories all the way through or just go with the flow when you write?

I just can't believe that I didn't see this!  I'm so sorry!  Maybe my responses will make up for such a ridiculous delay! :hug:

1. Such a hard question right off the bat, Sian!  I think there are many reasons (of course), so maybe a few of these will make sense.  I believe that almost every relationship, at one point, has love.  As a fandom, I believe that we have typecast Tobias as an abuse, Muggle-style Voldemort, Eileen as a meek and submissive woman, and their relationship as volatile and unhealthy.  Sure, from the glimpses we get, they seem like two of the unhappiest people in the entire world and I'm not arguing with that.  I want to give them a chance.  Also, I've always been incredibly intrigued by their pairing.  A pureblooded woman marrying a Muggle man?  To me, that's fascinating.  Polar opposites and "weird" couples are my guilty pleasure.  We're so quick as a society, even as readers, to say that one person doesn't belong with another for some of the most ridiculous reasons, like social circles, scales of attractiveness, etc.  Why can't one person love another?  Who am I to say that they have a terrible relationship?  They obviously loved one another at some point, and somewhere in their hearts, they still do.  I want to do them justice.  I want to put Eileen and Tobias on the fanfiction map as characters and as a pairing worth reading and writing about.  And, I just love them.

2. I've had the yearning for years, since I began writing in 2008, to write a novel about them.  I didn't know what or why or even how I would accomplish it, but I've been aiming to do it for years.  The Seams has been in the works for about a year.  I've been mulling over the pairing, what I want to do with the characters, and how to make them unforgettable in the realm of fanfiction.  My grandmother worked in a sewing plant most of her working life and one day I was asking her to fix some pants for me and I knew.  I just knew.  Eileen was a seamstress - that's how she met Tobias.  And the rest, well, the best is yet to come!

3. The chance to read and write about all things Harry Potter and the chance it gives me to grow as an author.  Like the rest of us here, Harry Potter holds a special place in my heart and life.  With my new-found (for me, at least - five years isn't enough time as a writer!) dream as an author, it also gives me an opportunity to cultivate my craft, find what works for me, and give people something worth reading.

4. This is such a long story (and a bit boring too :p )!  You're a Gryffindor, correct?  It will be in next month's issue of the Digest!  But in short, the last book had just come out and an old friend from high school introduced me to the site during an incredibly dull computer design class.  I was registered on the archives after about three months, January, to be specific, and then on the forums and writing by June/July.  I've been addicted ever since.

5. J.K. Rowling, of course, that's a no-brainer!  J.R. Ward, Edwidge Danticat, L.A. Meyer, William Faulkner, Terry Goodkind, Tsitsi Dangarembga, Julia Alvarez, Virginia Woolf, Kazuo Ishiguro (Never Let Me Go - must read!), Mary Shelley, David Nicholls (specifically One Day).  This doesn't even cover half of the authors I love!  But if you had asked my favorite books, now that would be a longer list! :D

6. You know, I'm not a planner.  Every time I make a plan, I feel like it blocks me, as if I can't write anything but what I've planned and then it seems I don't want to write that.  I'm complicated :p  I do know how I'm going to end The Seams and I know roughly what I'm going to do, but I like to focus all of my writing energies on each individual chapter and getting it polished and gorgeous.

Thank you so much for the questions!  Next time I won't be so late in responding! :hug: :wub: :give_rose:  And I do hope you continue to enjoy The Seams!

Edited by WeasleyTwins, 08 July 2013 - 04:08 AM.

The Seams [M]

2ebbytt.png

#11 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

I just noticed your gorgeous new set. Gah, I love it!

We've talked before about the challenges associated with trying to make your story fit into its chosen era appropriately, particularly in terms of history and customs of the day. Is that something that's come up for you with The Seams? Has it been difficult for you to flip back and forth between Penelope's story and Eileen's story? And can you give us any tiny hints about what's waiting in chapter five? :)

I think it's really cool that you're working on a novel and that it's about Eileen/Tobias, obviously.

stories (12+ to M) || reviews (12+) || beta services (12+)
devilry_sig_zpse7e33c8b.png
awesome set by easterlies@TDA

#12 nott theodore

nott theodore

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hi Shelby!  I've read your answers to my last questions and I'm back for more :p

1. The image of Eileen for The Seams appears to have been formed in your head for a long time.  Is she the same character in the other Eileen/Tobias Snape stories you've written?

2. A lot of your stories are Eileen/Tobias one-shots.  Do you think you'll write more one-shots about this pairing, or will this novel be your definitive version of them?

3. Is there any other character or pairing you find equally interesting and compelling?

4. Is there another character or pairing you'd consider writing a novel (or chaptered fic) about?

25yyfjl.png

Icon and signature by Violet@TDA

My stories [12+] My MTA [12+]

#13 MazBlue

MazBlue

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

Hello there!

1. I have to say that Come, Sugar is one of the saddest stories I have read in my entire life, I love it so so much. I was so happy I got to podcast it and I felt like from doing that, I saw greater depth into Rose's character. How did you make her broken, internal pain so realistic and believable?

2. The almost lullaby-esque Come, Sugar lines in the story were haunting and bewitching - did you always know you were going to include them or did you add them in whilst writing?

Love,

Maz :D

mazblue_zpsb8363596.png

Beautiful icon by Gingersnape and Gorgeous graphic by Elenia

~GO GRYFFINDOR~

:Gryffindor:

My Stories (M)

#14 WeasleyTwins

WeasleyTwins

Sixth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:10 AM

I just noticed your gorgeous new set. Gah, I love it!

We've talked before about the challenges associated with trying to make your story fit into its chosen era appropriately, particularly in terms of history and customs of the day. Is that something that's come up for you with The Seams? Has it been difficult for you to flip back and forth between Penelope's story and Eileen's story? And can you give us any tiny hints about what's waiting in chapter five?

I think it's really cool that you're working on a novel and that it's about Eileen/Tobias, obviously.

Amanda, hello!  Isn't the new set just divine?  The new banner is just as beautiful.  I'm in love.

Good question (and a difficult one too)!  Only being four chapters in, it wasn't very difficult at first.  But now, as I'm fleshing both stories out and we're really getting into the groove of the novel, it is becoming quite a challenge.  Both timelines have a distinctive feel - at least, I think they do.  As with you, I'm very concerned with history and customs.  I like accuracy because it makes my story more realistic and believable, something that readers can relate to, something that they can almost understand firsthand, you know?  Customs, history, tradition, the time period, well, I've been going through each chapter with a fine-toothed comb making sure that I'm keeping them accurate.  Funny story, actually.  I was writing chapter four and mixed up the eras, mentioning something about Penelope wearing pantyhose (aka tights)!  Thank goodness I caught that before I sent it off to Jami.  But anyway, what a ramble!

As for chapter five, well, it's getting a write/rewrite/edit/sob/write/sob again...but I will tell you that it revolves around Eileen and Tobias :whistling: :p

Amanda, I'm feeling pretty sappy, and would just like to say thank you for being excited about this novel and genuinely interested! :flowers2:

Hi Shelby!  I've read your answers to my last questions and I'm back for more

1. The image of Eileen for The Seams appears to have been formed in your head for a long time.  Is she the same character in the other Eileen/Tobias Snape stories you've written?

2. A lot of your stories are Eileen/Tobias one-shots.  Do you think you'll write more one-shots about this pairing, or will this novel be your definitive version of them?

3. Is there any other character or pairing you find equally interesting and compelling?

4. Is there another character or pairing you'd consider writing a novel (or chaptered fic) about?

Hello Sian, darling!

1. Actually, she's not.  If I remember correctly (I'm getting old and can't remember anything), I've written her a few different ways, even in little oneshots that I haven't posted.  But there's always been this compassionate aspect of her characterization that has been in my head canon from the beginning.  For some reason, I see her as kind and loving, having been put in this really complicated position that we know nothing about.  I've never written her as malicious or sullen.  Never. 

2. They are my OTP and I just kind of love them a lot.  I will definitely write more oneshots with them and try varying interpretations, but right now I'm trying to focus on the novel.  You know, I'd never thought about the novel being my definitive version of them, but I suppose it is!  I've considered writing another novel surrounding them (holy crap, we're not even half-way through with this one and I'm already scheming!). 

3. I love the Founders and Next Gen, but I'm picky about Next Gen.  I'm not into the super cliche.  I really enjoy Rose/Scorpius - Ron just set that up for us and honestly, I think JKR did that on purpose.  It's like the new version of Ron and Hermione.  But as for a pairing or character that I find EQUALLY interesting or compelling, that's difficult.  Now, don't get me wrong, I like Harry/Ginny, James/Lily, all those normal pairings, but there is something about Eileen and Tobias that I gravitate toward.

4. Oh wow, such intriguing questions today, Sian!  I've definitely considered writing Founders (I can only write one novel at a time.  Multiple WIPs is too much for this busy woman).  Founders, like E & T, gives me so many options.  Maybe this is what to come? :p

Thank you so much for the questions, Sian!  I can't wait to see what you think of chapter four :hug:

Hello there!

1. I have to say that Come, Sugar is one of the saddest stories I have read in my entire life, I love it so so much. I was so happy I got to podcast it and I felt like from doing that, I saw greater depth into Rose's character. How did you make her broken, internal pain so realistic and believable?

2. The almost lullaby-esque Come, Sugar lines in the story were haunting and bewitching - did you always know you were going to include them or did you add them in whilst writing?

Love,

Maz

Hello Maz! :happy:

1. Awww, that just pretty much made my life, it really did.  I love to hear from other readers and authors how much they love one of my stories.  It means that my work is making someone else happy/feeling emotion/connecting to the story.  You podcasted it beautifully - your voice is GORGEOUS and so, so perfect.  No one could have done it better!  You know, this is really difficult to answer!  I think part of it comes from my own experiences, not necessarily with the same issue, but the gravity of the situation.  I believe that authors have to put something of themselves into a story in order for it to seem realistic.  Okay, back to point.  The words just seemed to flow.  It's like the story wanted to be told and I was simply a medium for Rose's pain and suffering.  Which is slightly nuts, but there you have it!

2. Come, Sugar is stream of consciousness so I never planned any of it, I just wrote.  That's the beauty of the technique - the story is there and waiting for a tangible language, and the story knows best how to be conveyed.  It was almost instinct or something I've seen in a dream.  Very bizarre! :p

Thank you so much for the questions!  You're a gem!

To all three of you:  :hug:  And thank you for your questions - you're all just brilliant and wonderful :happy:

The Seams [M]

2ebbytt.png

#15 magnolia_magic

magnolia_magic

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

Hi Shelby! I see you giving love to the MTA section all the time, so I thought I'd return the favor! Have fun with these :)

1. This a three-parter: What is Eileen's patronus, what would her boggart look like, and what does Amortentia smell like for her?

2. What has been the most difficult part about writing a novel-length fic? Any challenges that you didn't expect?

3. I've been pleasantly surprised by Eileen's sweetness in The Seams. Is there anything about Tobias' characterization that we might not see coming?

(Also, I took a look at the earlier posts and I really think you should write Founders. Like right now, please :) I can see your style lending itself really well to the era.)

--Maggie

currently writing: teh's Rare Pairing challenge piece

helgasig_zps6bc7e2c0.png

lovely set by apondinabluebox~down comes the night (15+)~author page (12+)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users