#61 Violet Gryfindor

Violet Gryfindor

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

I've another question! :happy:

What kind of historical research have you performed for your Founders' era story? It seems to be an era that often requires more work for writers, which seems to be why it's so rarely written, so I'm curious about how you, as someone who usually writes Marauder-era stories, get into writing this very different, distant era. :)

need a banner? try The Dark Arts (12+)
vaguelyclear5-1.png  vaguelyclear4-1.png  vaguelyclear3-1.png
Fanfiction ;; Graphics ;; MTA
above links 12+ | icons by vaguelyclear

#62 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

I've another question! :happy:

What kind of historical research have you performed for your Founders' era story? It seems to be an era that often requires more work for writers, which seems to be why it's so rarely written, so I'm curious about how you, as someone who usually writes Marauder-era stories, get into writing this very different, distant era. :)

Do I usually write Marauder-era stories? Hmm, maybe I do. Either that or Hogwarts era :)

As one of my reviewers pointed out, the Founders era seems to have a unique sort of "magic" to it, just because it's an era of aristocracy and elegance and there are no pesky Hogwarts classes to attend. I would love to say that I hole up in the library with books on Middle Ages culture, but I really just Google anything I don't know, like the marital customs of the day or the menu for Venn's birthday feast. Then, if anything seems like it might not be right, I'll cross-validate it with another (Internet) source to make sure it's accurate. The vast majority of the details don't come from me; my part is mostly just finding good ways to fit all of them in :)

Thanks very much for another thought-provoking question!

stories (12+ to M) || reviews (12+) || beta services (12+)
devilry_sig_zpse7e33c8b.png
awesome set by easterlies@TDA

#63 TenthWeasleyWriter

TenthWeasleyWriter

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

Amanda, you lovely so-and-so. We don't talk nearly enough, and so I have stopped by with some questions for you! ♥

1. If you had to dye your hair any color other than the color it is now, what color would you dye it and why?

2. What book, the Harry Potter series aside, has been most influential in your writing?

3. Do you prefer writing novels, short stories, or one-shots?

4. You've got to ask someone to the Yule Ball. How would you do it?

5. What famous mustache (i.e. Stalin, Dali, Twain) inspires you most?

yaHCK0O_zps34710904.png 

beautiful set by !badwolf @ TDA

hpff author's page (12+ thru m)

#64 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:57 AM

YAYAYAYAY! Question presents for ME. And they're from JANE! -snuggles presents-

1. If you had to dye your hair any color other than the color it is now, what color would you dye it and why?

I've actually been thinking about doing this lately, but alas, my measly stipend and general lack of free time. Anywho, my hair is naturally brown, and I've been thinking about making it auburn, or at least putting auburn highlights in it. For one thing, my husband is obsessed with redheads, and I've been wanting to do it since fall because I thought it would be a nice autumny thing to do. Maybe I really should try to save up and do it this fall.

2. What book, the Harry Potter series aside, has been most influential in your writing?

Okay, Imma cheat right now and give you an author instead - Jodi Picoult. (Maybe it's not cheating - I dunno, her books all seem quite similar to me, or at least they're similar in terms of their quality.) She's got beautiful prose and very nice imagery, and I love the way her stories pull me in and drag me along for the ride. They're like Lifetime movies except completely not cliche. It's quite miraculous.

3. Do you prefer writing novels, short stories, or one-shots?

This one is easy - definitely one-shots. Working on my two novels has been really challenging, and I always feel bad when I can't update right away. Plus, it's been difficult for me to just feel comfortable writing without knowing every detail of what is to come. With one-shots, I feel like I can explore whoever and whatever I want without having to make a huge commitment if I don't turn out to be crazy about it. Plus, I think one-shots can be very powerful in their simplicity. I'm all about details, and one-shots let me explore the nitty-gritty of the fandom.

4. You've got to ask someone to the Yule Ball. How would you do it?

Oh, probably Ron Weasley style :p I mean, if we all have to go, what do you have to lose if you just go up to the cutest person you know and ask them to go with you? Eventually even awkward, aunt-smelling Ron got a date (and got to marry Hermione, gosh), so I figure there's hope for just about everyone!

5. What famous mustache (i.e. Stalin, Dali, Twain) inspires you most?

Ron Burgundy's mustache, of course. I'm gonna go ahead and blame him for my hot-girl-who-makes-that-money wardrobe.

Thank you! You are always welcome to come ask me more fabulous questions, or just say things to me in general :wub:

#65 Debra20

Debra20

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 492 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hey there! I'm back with some more questions for you, if you'd be so kind! :)

1. Was there any defining moment in your life when you realized that you wanted to write (even as a hobby)? A book you read? A real life event? A person encouraged you?
2. Did you try writing anything original?
3. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
4. Do you have any particular process or established habbit when you're thinking up the summary? How do you go about when you're writing it?
5. Do you learn more about yourself when you write your stories? If yes, which story has taught you most and what would that be?

breathtaking set by that guy.@TDA (12+)

c5V5a9T.png

My Stories (12+ to M) \\ MTA (12+) \\ Review Thread (12+)

#66 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for stopping by again :)

1. Was there any defining moment in your life when you realized that you wanted to write (even as a hobby)? A book you read? A real life event? A person encouraged you?
I don't think so, not really. I've always loved to read; I credit that, at least in part, to the fact that my parents began reading to me when I was very young, meaning that I learned to read pretty quickly. My mother has always made comments about my writing for school that she thinks I have a gift, and that if I had to write something for an award, a job, whatever, she thinks I would have a good shot. She doesn't know about my fanfiction, though ;)

2. Did you try writing anything original?
I haven't in a long time, and I wouldn't be able to remember to tell you about any of the OF I tried when I was younger. Nowadays, I just don't have time. I don't think I would put the notion aside, though -- you never know when the perfect plunny might strike! I sort of dream of the day, if it ever comes, when I'd have time to do a proper NaNo project.

3. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Writing is really the only hobby I have right now; I don't have time for many, and so I've prioritized it in that way. I do like to exercise when I can, which hasn't been much lately, and I love just plopping down in front of Netflix and watching television and movies. I also like just spending time with friends and my husband -- going out to eat, playing a game, whatever strikes us in the moment.

4. Do you have any particular process or established habbit when you're thinking up the summary? How do you go about when you're writing it?
I actually think most of my summaries need to be revised, haha! :p I try to keep them short and snappy for the most part, since those tend to be the ones that grab my attention when I'm scrolling through stories on the archive. I don't think you should tell the whole story in your summary, but I do think you should give enough information so that a person can know if they're interested. Sometimes this means listing the main ship or just mentioning the most unique plot point. The summary can definitely be tough to create, though, and it has held me up a time or two.

5. Do you learn more about yourself when you write your stories? If yes, which story has taught you most and what would that be?
I don't necessarily think of it as learning about myself, but some of my stories have certainly been cathartic for me. I wrote A Tale of Two Princes after my father died, and I feel like I put a lot of that emotion into my main character, just so I wouldn't be the only one with mixed feelings. Some of the darker stuff I've written lately (Clandestine, The Fairest) has come out of a period of stress and general bad luck that's been frustrating for me. It's weird how some of the work you're most proud of emerges when you don't have time to write, or when you don't really intend to write.

Thanks again for these lovely questions -- I was just thinking how lonely my MTA was -- and stop by anytime! :wub:

#67 AditiDraco95

AditiDraco95

Seventh Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hey Academica :) I am here with a couple of questions, and I hope they've not already been asked (I am little lazy to look back through the posts)! As you know, I am your super-duper fan so I'd love to know your responses to my curious questions :D 

1. How old were you when you first began writing (not necessarily HP fanfiction) and what was that first story about?

2. From where do you usually get your inspiration to write your (brilliant) stories/chapters? :D

3. Do you face writer's blocks? If yes, how do you overcome a writer's block?

4. What is your favourite genre, era, and pairing to write about, and why?

5. Who is your favourite author on the HPFF archives?

6. Do you usually "plan" every aspect of your story/characters in advance or just let the words flow themselves and let the ideas come along as you write?

7. What do you prefer more in your reviews - quality (short reviews giving criticism) or quantity (lengthy reviews gushing about the story)? Why?

8. Have you ever deleted or abandoned any of your stories from your HPFF author page? If yes, what was the story about and why did you delete/abandon it? 

Cheers!

AD :hug:

Sig by Mike | My HPFF stories (12+ to M) | Harry's Box (15+)

Epkg7.png

Sad Ending Challenge: 2nd place Grizzled (15+) & 1st place  Picture (15+)

#68 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hey Academica :) I am here with a couple of questions, and I hope they've not already been asked (I am little lazy to look back through the posts)! As you know, I am your super-duper fan so I'd love to know your responses to my curious questions :D

1. How old were you when you first began writing (not necessarily HP fanfiction) and what was that first story about?

2. From where do you usually get your inspiration to write your (brilliant) stories/chapters? :D

3. Do you face writer's blocks? If yes, how do you overcome a writer's block?

4. What is your favourite genre, era, and pairing to write about, and why?

5. Who is your favourite author on the HPFF archives?

6. Do you usually "plan" every aspect of your story/characters in advance or just let the words flow themselves and let the ideas come along as you write?

7. What do you prefer more in your reviews - quality (short reviews giving criticism) or quantity (lengthy reviews gushing about the story)? Why?

8. Have you ever deleted or abandoned any of your stories from your HPFF author page? If yes, what was the story about and why did you delete/abandon it? 

Cheers!

AD :hug:

I'm so sorry, Aditi -- I just saw this! Here I am with your answers :)

1.) I don't know the exact age -- fairly young. I don't remember what the story was about, but I think it involved Harry and an OC, and I have half a mind to suspect that it was absolutely awful and full of cliches.

2.) Thanks :) I get inspiration from all manner of places. One of the stories I have coming out early next month was inspired by a book I had to read for school. I just wound up being really curious about the topic and wanted to turn it into a story. I find myself inspired by music and quotes a lot. Sometimes it's just that I'd really love to read a story with a particular plot, and it doesn't seem to exist on the archive, so I wind up writing it instead.

3.) Oh, of course, doesn't everyone? I try not to force myself to write through a block, although that can be hard when I only have time to really focus on writing a few times a year and need to "binge write" during that period. I recently found that skipping ahead to the "good" parts of chapters or stories helps me get through the "filler." If all else fails, I just try going back to what first inspired me, and that usually jogs my muse along at least a little bit.

4.) Genre--angst. I find it very easily to get in the thick of the emotion and just play with it. Era--Post-Hogwarts, because I really like to imagine how people would have ended up after the war, and it plays well with my love of angst. Pairing--Snape/Lily, because they're the only good pairing (KIDDING!) and I don't think they're written enough, especially compared with the deluge of James/Lily available on the archive.

5.) I have a lot of favorites. Rachel (TenthWeasleyWriter) and Sarah (Toujours_Padfoot) basically never write anything that isn't insanely good. Susan (Violet Gryfindor), Missy (forsakenphoenix), and Melissa (WitnesstoitAll) are also very, very good. I could go on all night recommending fabulous authors who inspire me so much.

6.) I've done both. Planning can be nice because then I have an idea of how long it will take me to finish the story and it's easier to make the plot fall into place. Writing without a set plan is much more challenging, at least to me, but it also seems very rewarding because I get to have "Eureka!" moments when I think of something really great that will bring everything together. I don't know that I have a preference for which method I like more now.

7.) Again, I like both. Nothing makes me happier than a long, gushy review, especially one from a dear friend, but they can be intimidating when it comes time for me to compose a response. Responding to shorter reviews is much easier. As well, I've become much more open to criticism as I've grown as a writer, so I like getting that, too.

8.) I have not! Even the awful, cliche-ridden ones are still there. I don't have the heart to deprive them of life :)

Thanks so much for your lovely questions, and again, sorry about the slight delay!

#69 ValWitch21

ValWitch21

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hey, look, it's Val again!

1. How do you manage to balance all of your WIP fics? (I'm going to steal the advice)

2. Of your current WIPs, which is your favourite to write?

3. Where do you get the inspiration for each of your stories?

4. Is there any character/story you'd like to write but won't attempt?

5. How did you come up with Yellow?

6. Is the title because Cedric is a Hufflepuff or because it's the colour of the gas described in chapter one?

7. How do you like being in Ravenclaw?

8. What's your opinion on Snape/Lily?

9. What's your favourite ice cream flavour?

10. What would you change about the HP movies?

That's all I can think of for now! :bye:

1272740_original_zps5949f16c.png 1272388_original_zpsad123ff3.png1273593_original_zpsa0763254.png

icons found here [15+ just to be on the safe side]

BACK FROM HIATUS, SLOWLY UPDATING AGAIN.

#70 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Hey, look, it's Val again!

1. How do you manage to balance all of your WIP fics? (I'm going to steal the advice)

2. Of your current WIPs, which is your favourite to write?

3. Where do you get the inspiration for each of your stories?

4. Is there any character/story you'd like to write but won't attempt?

5. How did you come up with Yellow?

6. Is the title because Cedric is a Hufflepuff or because it's the colour of the gas described in chapter one?

7. How do you like being in Ravenclaw?

8. What's your opinion on Snape/Lily?

9. What's your favourite ice cream flavour?

10. What would you change about the HP movies?

That's all I can think of for now! :bye:

Val! It's so great that you stopped by :D

(1.) Well, to be fair, two of them are already written and I'm just posting them chapter by chapter now. The two novels are not pre-written, and the chapters are longer with more complex plotting, so they're much more difficult to keep up with. I try to keep them fairly even, in that I'll outline a new chapter for both and I won't, say, post chapter 15 of Diamonds into Coal before posting chapter 14 of Post Scriptum. In actually writing them, I do have to pay adequate attention to my muse. I'm not going to force writing, usually, and if I do, it's with the understanding that there will be editing before it's posted.

(2.) Diamonds into Coal -- which is WEIRD, because I never thought I or anyone else would really and truly get hooked into a Founder's era story. I don't find the actual Founders all that interesting, but I love Venn and Helena. I've fallen so hard for them both and I root for them more than anyone else, I'm certain.

(3.) Oh, here and there. Movie plots I like and music I hear obviously influence what I write, as do things I notice missing from other stories and under-loved characters. I suppose when you say 'each,' you mean each of the WIPs, so here goes--

Diamonds into Coal--inspired by general lack of Baron/Helena fics on the archive and Once Upon a Time.

Post Scriptum--no idea. Came out of left field. Wanted to explore Regulus, I suppose.

Yellow--inspired by a book on poisons, including mustard gas, that I read for a lab project.

The Middle Man--inspired by my general lack of experimentation with next gen and humor and my interest in Witch Weekly.

(4.) I'm not really against attempting anything, as long as I have an interest in it. I'd like to do a Drastoria sometime soon.

(5.) See question #3 :)

(6.) Right you are! It's both, in a sort of ironic sense, positive versus negative meanings. You're the first to realize it!

(7.) Ravenclaw's cool. I like how active the common room is and how friendly everyone's been.

(8.) Snape/Lily is my favorite :wub: I think their story is endlessly fascinating in terms of the deep tragedy that pervades it and the constant sense of 'what might have been.' I love the effect Lily has on Severus, and I'd like to explore the effect he has on her, which I guess I'm doing a little of in Post Scriptum.

(9.) Cake batter, preferably with sprinkles.

(10.) I would have liked to see more of the smaller plotlines, like the Bill/Fleur relationship, have their proper appearance. I know it's impossible to include everything in the films. But can't we just make the whole thing into one gigantic series?

Thanks for the questions love :hug:

Edited by academica, 26 February 2013 - 12:26 AM.

#71 patronus_charm

patronus_charm

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Hi Amanda! As you know I'm in love with basically all of your stories, so I decided to come and ask some questions about them!

1. What made you decide to combine magic and WWI?

2. How long does it take to research all the historical facts for your story?

3. Why did you decide to write The Middle Man, as it's so different to most of you stories?

4. What was your first ever fan fiction about, and is it on here?

5. Why did you decide to switch from being a Slytherin to a Ravenclaw?

6. Who is your OTP?

7. What's your favourite fan fiction you've written, and why?

I can't think of any more, so that's it for now, Kiana :)

g4VVUEc.png

author page [12+]| mta [12+] | gallery [15+] | the second person pov challenge [12+]

currently writing: khaled hosseini entry featuring a twilight crossover

#72 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

Hi Kiana! :wub:

Hi Amanda! As you know I'm in love with basically all of your stories, so I decided to come and ask some questions about them!

1. What made you decide to combine magic and WWI?
The idea for Yellow really came from a book my mentor picked out for us to read over the summer for lab. It was all about different poisons and the ways in which science and the justice system intersected to combat them and become better at detecting them in homicide cases. One of the poisons mentioned in the book, though only briefly, was mustard gas. I immediately got this mental image of Cedric suffering under the effects of this Hufflepuff yellow substance. I also think it was inspired by Sarah's masterful way of putting together AU stories (Godric's Hollow and Run, for example) with incredible plots and interesting takes on familiar characters. I wanted to try that for myself.

2. How long does it take to research all the historical facts for your story?
At the beginning of Diamonds into Coal, it was summer and I had a lot of time to spend browsing the web and working on those facts. In the more recent chapters, and throughout most of Yellow, I've had much less time. I mean, I don't obsess about it. I've had reviewers with more formal backgrounds in history tell me that this or that is inaccurate, and while critique is always appreciated, I try to take it in stride.

3. Why did you decide to write The Middle Man, as it's so different to most of you stories?
I really just wanted to try next gen properly, beyond a one-shot. I've convinced myself that I'm no good at humor, but I gave it my best shot :) Next gen stories are so popular and I wanted to figure out why--to be honest, though I like my final product, I still haven't found the answer.

4. What was your first ever fan fiction about, and is it on here?
It's not. It was written so long ago that I really don't remember. I want to say it was a terribly written Harry/OC, but who knows, really.

5. Why did you decide to switch from being a Slytherin to a Ravenclaw?
A lot of my close friends on HPFF are in Ravenclaw, and it just seemed like a fun, active house. I'm happy to have discovered it!

6. Who is your OTP?
Snape/Lily. I just really like the dark elegance of their never-to-be romance, and it's interesting for me to picture them as close companions.

7. What's your favourite fan fiction you've written, and why?
Good question! That's tough, but I think it might be At Great Personal Risk. The writing isn't my best, but I had the most fun twisting and turning the plot and really trying to do something interesting and different with Snape/Lily. I go back and re-read it from time to time.

Thanks so much for all of your wonderful questions!!

Edited by academica, 03 March 2013 - 04:57 AM.

#73 Twinkleflower

Twinkleflower

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hey there, I just read “Heart's Desire” and thought I would come check out you MTA page.  :happy:

1)  What was your inspiration for “Heart’s Desire”?

2)  What made you write Lavender in that way?

3)  Do you prefer writing one-shots or longer fiction?

4)  Which was your favourite fanfiction to write and why? (sees answer in previous post)

5)  Which of JKR’s characters is your favourite to write and why?

Sorry if those first two questions were too similar and I look forward to reading some of your other works.

fm0wzm.jpg

~*~ My Author's Page (15+) ~*~

#74 academica

academica

Sixth Year

• Prefect
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:27 AM

Hey there, I just read “Heart's Desire” and thought I would come check out you MTA page.  :happy:

1)  What was your inspiration for “Heart’s Desire”?

2)  What made you write Lavender in that way?

3)  Do you prefer writing one-shots or longer fiction?

4)  Which was your favourite fanfiction to write and why? (sees answer in previous post)

5)  Which of JKR’s characters is your favourite to write and why?

Sorry if those first two questions were too similar and I look forward to reading some of your other works.

Hi, thanks for the questions! (And I promise I'll respond to your review tomorrow or the next day!)

1.) I knew I wanted to write something about Lavender, and my original plan had been for it to be sort of a spiteful piece, like "Everyone thinks that I'll never amount to anything, but I'll prove them wrong" because that's what is going on in my life right now. But I got sort of depressed, and that seemed to be the catalyst needed to really make this half-concept work. As you know, the story wound up being sort of a pitiful piece, but it's because Lavender is weak and she desperately needs to feel loved. Fortunately, the connection with my life sort of broke off there as well. I'm proud of how the story turned out and it was definitely cathartic to get it all down.

2.) See above. (I think they are different questions, but I answered them in the same fell swoop.)

3.) One-shots, though there is a certain appeal in adding chapters and watching the word count go up. I like emotional pieces and those that explore characterization the best, and one-shots are good for that.

5.) Narcissa Malfoy. I just love how she turned out to be this raw, beautifully maternal figure in the end. I went through most of the series thinking of her as this snippy little princess, but she evolved into a sort of quiet warrior woman during the battle when the lives of her family members were at stake. She's intriguing to me.

#75 WeasleyTwins

WeasleyTwins

Sixth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hello darling!  I've been wanting to stop by for a while, but just now got around to it!

1. How long do you think you've been writing in your niche?  What I'm asking is, how long has it taken you to find your voice as an author?

2. Where do you find inspiration?

3. I see that you have a new Founders novel (I can't wait to start reading!).  How has the journey into the Founders era been since it is rather unexplored and open to much interpretation?  What do you like and dislike about writing Founders?

:happy:

The Seams [M]

2013 Dobby Awards Winner for Best Minor Character

2ebbytt.png

Author's Page [M]                   Meet the Author [12+]

Gorgeous set by alchemyfreak123 @ TDA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users