Photo

The Adult WorldA few questions from a newbie.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Badger

Badger

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:43 PM

So, I'm fairly new to Potter's World (as I'm also fairly new to the forums here). My character is a first (soon-to-be second year) and I couldn't help wondering, what's the probability of getting into the Adult World once you graduate? After a ton of stalking and reading at PW, I found several people who didn't make it to the Adult World, and their posts looked to be a reasonable length with decent grammar and spelling. (And there seems to be a lot more students than adults over at PW; which does makes sense -people drop out, etc.) Does it have to do with more behind-the-scenes stuff and warnings from prefects? I'll definitely stick with my character throughout her Hogwarts years, but I know I'll be kinda bummed out (to put it lightly) if I'm extremely attached to this character for 7 months in RL and then she gets deleted. Not to mention, I'm planning for her younger brother to start going to Hogwarts in her third year, and if one of them makes it past graduation and one of them doesn't, it'll be hard to make their plot-lines work...

Anyways, sorry for my rambling, but I'm really curious: Did your first character make it to the Adult World? If so, was it extremely difficult? Advice? If not, did you keep trying?

And while I'm at it: If one character makes it and another one doesn't, or if my character is serious about someone who doesn't make it (or vise versa), can you god-mode them in the Adult World? (Did that make any sense? :confused:)
Thanks! :)

Edited by Badger, 05 April 2011 - 09:48 PM.

#2 LynnHelven

LynnHelven

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:58 PM

It's rare that people get rejected from AW- since I've been checking, so about a year, I've seen less than ten, and I don't think the reasons are ever things like grammar or post length- acceptance to AW depends almost entirely on your infraction history, and so rejections might happen if you have a lot of IC, or more importantly OOC violations on your record, particularly major ones or repeated warnings. Basically, if you stick by the rules then it's a fairly slim chance you'd be rejected :)

To your other question- to an extent, as long as you have their former handler's permission. For example, they might give the explanation for their disappearance as moving abroad, or a death, or whatever, and give you some details and you could GM those. However, you would not be allowed to explicitly GM them, as in, using them as a character in your posts and allowing them to speak, or anything like that. Any interaction would have to be behind the scenes and agreed on by the former handler, as part of the ToS for preserving the integrity of a character.

I hope that all makes sense... and if anything I've said is wrong someone please correct me!

(links 12+) {tda} {hpff} {mta} (links 12+)

Posted Image

Jared and Rowan Beaufort Claudia Elmes on PottersWorld

#3 Badger

Badger

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:20 PM

Well apparently my stalking skills just aren't what they used to be. :rolleyes: I suppose I just assumed spelling/grammar/post length had some precedence since it seems that all the adults have impeccable grammar and detail.

Thanks very much for answering! :wub:

#4 ghpotter

ghpotter

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:33 PM

Hi there! :laugh:

Did your first character make it to the Adult World?
Yes, and the following three as well.

If so, was it extremely difficult? Advice?
For me, not at all. As long as you stick to the rules and prove that you are mature enough to handle an AW charrie, you'll be fine. That doesn't mean your charrie has to be mature (my recent graduate has been proven to have the maturity level of a three year old), just you as a handler. The AW forums aren't as vigorously patrolled as Hogwarts, so if you go around breaking rules left right and centre and rack up board warnings it doesn't present you as a particularly trustworthy member who can adequately monitor their own behaviour when 'let loose' in the AW. An odd spattering of minor infractions is fine (everyone makes mistakes) and as LynnHelven said is fairly rare. So yes, it basically has everything to do with the behind-the-scenes stuff. I suggest re-reading the rules if you're unsure about anything, posting in the 'Ask the Staff' section or even PMing a Prefect. PW is about having fun and helping people improve their writing, not shooting them down.

If not, did you keep trying?
So far none of my charries have been rejected, but of course! I know of a few handlers who had their first charries rejected and then bounce back with spectacularly successful charries the next time around. It depends on how long you take to get used to RPing. Everyone started off as a newbie.

As for your other question, I think LynnHelven has covered it perfectly. Little things can be GMed with permission, but you can't GM them like an ordinary NPC (non-player character). I hope some of that ramble was somewhat helpful. :sweat:

Edited by ghpotter, 05 April 2011 - 11:35 PM.

Posted Image

The gorgeous sig made by amoretti. @ TDA

Magical Ginny on HPFF. Here to read them.

Emily Wright, Hamish + Bethany Mcintyre and Adrian Hunter Jameson on PottersWorld

#5 LynnHelven

LynnHelven

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:36 PM

It's no problem! I'll just add though- I think the reason most adults have good grammar and posts is purely experience, and perseverence. Seven months is a long time to remain terrible and noobish at posting, because people tend not to want to RP with people who are really bad, and so most people either get better or give up. Also, you pick up the nuances and trends (because there definitely are a lot on PW) of posting as you go along, and stalk other people's posts :)

edit cos I just realised I missed the actual questions in your post! *headdesk*

Did your first character make it to the Adult World?
Yup!

If so, was it extremely difficult? Advice?
I think I covered this in my first post- though I must admit I was worried because I did have a number of infractions *hides* I actually expected to get rejected, as I got rather a large one (in my opinion) on Jared's fifth year, but I have since spoken to a Govenor about it and they told me that the most important thing is showing that you are responsible now- so even if you do make mistakes, be sure to learn from them and you will almost undoubtedly be fine! :D

Edited by LynnHelven, 05 April 2011 - 11:39 PM.

(links 12+) {tda} {hpff} {mta} (links 12+)

Posted Image

Jared and Rowan Beaufort Claudia Elmes on PottersWorld

#6 Badger

Badger

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:45 PM

Well I haven't gotten any infractions so far...but I've only been there for a month, so I'm sure I have plenty of time to screw up between now and then. :p Now I feel silly for having been so worried about it though. :rolleyes: You guys have definitely been extremely helpful!

#7 Melody

Melody

New student

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:49 AM

I was wondering do most handelers whose charrie(s) make it to the adult world, leave their characters age at 17, 18 ish or skip right to them being in their 20's?

Also how long is to long to keep a charrie in the adult world before deleting them or having them die?
Posted Image
Marzipan @ tda my hpff

#8 SereneChaos

SereneChaos

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 354 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:38 AM

Hey there! I don't know the actual statistics, but from observation, I feel as if most handlers continue on with the age progression until at least the 20s. It seems that over time people lose track of ages, or stop caring, so I don't think it's altogether a big deal, unless you're trying to move along a staff approved plot that is age dependent. Personally, I prefer to age my characters, and will continue to do so, just because I like to keep their progression organized. In terms of how long you can keep a character, that's really all dependent on you. At the rate my current character is going, she is easily going to be the oldest living character I've kept on the boards. Some characters have been around since 2007, which is pretty old in my book. :p I think as long as you are having fun with your character, it shouldn't make a difference how long you've had them. :)

hufflepuffforhousecupanimation_zps4a2b7a

Set by emmaweasley! 

"I'll teach the lot and treat them just the same." -Helga Hufflepuff

Read My Stories! [12+]

Wand Type: Apple, 8 inches, kelpie hair

#9 Gurtz

Gurtz

Minister of the Arts

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:48 AM

I age them normally. So the term they leave Hogwarts, they turn 18, then 19, etc...

Posted Image

A Hero's Footsteps (M) (01/13/12)

MTA [12+] | My Author Page [12-M]|

Set by Camila! GRYFFINDOR FOR THE WIN!

#10 GalaxyDefender

GalaxyDefender

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

I age mine normally even when they get above their 20s. Its the only way when they have kiddies etc to make it realistic XD

Posted Image

Laurence Beaufort & Jayce Beaufort & ickle on PW

Set made by bl/IND @ TDA

#11 siriusblacklover

siriusblacklover

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

I generally age my charries normally after Hogwarts, though at one point with Brenden (and this is probably something I'll do with the rest of my charries that happen to make it to the AW) I just decided to stop bothering with changing his age, just leaving it unknown. I've got a rough idea of how old he is in my head, and that's all I really need. ^_^

Posted Image

TDA (12+) | Set by elixirs* at TDA! <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users