9 replies to this topic

#1 BrightStar

BrightStar

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hi guys! I'm BrightStar but you can (and should!) just call me B.

I started writing HP fanfiction back in December, and uploaded a one-shot called "Trains, Tea and Engagement Rings", about Harry's proposal to Ginny.

I then wrote "Nepotism? No", a silly little one shot about James II taking over the Gryffindor quidditch team with the rest of his family.

The latest thing I wrote was a two part short story, narrated at first by Ginny and then by Harry. It's called "The Brigtening Glance" and I refer to Elton John's "Your song" in it quite a bit. In Ginny's chapter, she writes to Dean (start of Half Blood Prince), but is thinking of Harry. Harry's chapter is set a yeear after the end of Deathly Hallows, when he realises how much he loves Ginny during an interview.

So, basically, thats where I stand now. I'm working on a few challenge fics at the moment, I think I may finally tackle Lily/James, a pairing that's a favourite of mine. I also have an idea (both also challenges) for a one-shot about Moly and her relationship with Ginny as a child, and another in which Harry asks Ron to be his best man. Hopefully both will be enjoyable and cute :)

I decided to post here since I love chatting about, not only my stories, but fan fiction in general. I love Harry/Ginny and obviously Ron/Hermione, though I don't really read and write it. I'm very pro-epilogue! I love James/Lily and other Maurader fics, also love Next Generation at the moment! I like Rose/Scorpius and Teddy/Victoire. I prefer to read and write short stories, but I'm thinking of writing a novel about Albus Potter.

Soooo... any questions? Or have I scared you off with my rambling?

-B :)

Edited by BrightStar, 11 February 2011 - 08:49 PM.

Hogwarts will always be there to welcome us home <3

#2 orderofthephoenix

orderofthephoenix

Fairly Godmother

• Prefect
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

Hey B!

You know I love your stories, so I'm here to ask you questions (and brighten up your page) :D
Warning: not all of the questions will be story related :p

1. Who or what inspires you to write?

2. Of the stories you've written, which is your favourite and why? If you can choose one, that is :)

3. Which story is first on your favourites list and why did you favourite it?

4. Why did you join HPFF?

5. Ooh, tell me more about your Albus novel you're planning! :woot:

Actually, looking back, most of those were story related! :blink:

Sophia :wub:

Sophia
Posted Image
stories || gallery

#3 BrightStar

BrightStar

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

Heya Sophia! Wow, that's colourful! Thanks - I'll try to answer as best I can!

1. Hmm... Ok! Now, I feel I should credit friends or family, though they don't actually know I write! However, they would be very encouraging if they knew! I suppose J.K. Rowling would be my main inspiration for writing fanfiction I suppose, in addition to the great stuff I read here, along with some of my favourite authors. Mainly though, it's music. I always, always listen to music when I write."The Brightening Glance" that came to me from "Your Song" by Elton John . "You're Not Sorry" and "Potter's Got it Bad" came from lyrics of songs given to me in a challenge. "Who had to know" was a challenge piece, but one that didn't deal with songs. Yet, once I thought of the scene - Rose and Scorpius in the Room of Requirement, I opened up iTunes and put "Dirty Little Secret" on high volume - the fic was written in a couple of hours, tops. "Delacour", which is on the way, was going nowhere - the character's voices just weren't speaking out through the pages. That is, until I overheard Clair de Lune in a shop. When I went home and listened to that, it just started coming out, the tone was perfect.

2. It's hard to have a favourite! "Trains" was my first, it will always be special to me. "Nepotism" made me laugh out loud. "PGIB" gave me the freedom to explore 3 very different, yet very similar characters and scenes. "You're Not Sorry" was my first one shot aboout an OC, opening up so many possibilies. "Who has to know" wasn't about love, it was about attraction. It was also about going "Uhh whatever - this doent have to be amazing, it's for me". "Delecour", which in the queue though... It's very special to me, I don't even know why. Maybe because, for another day or so, it's just mine! If I was to pick one online though, it'd be "The Brightening Glance". It was one I put myself into. I actually read so many passages of parts of the Harry Potter books trying to get Harry's voice right, and straining to hear Ginny's voice too. However, if you read the fic closely, I'm there too. I share a lot of things with Ginny, not least my passion for writing, even just letters (Side note - Ginny and writing is actually cannon - the diary, her future career and so on). Ginny isn't silly in love either - though I hint that what she feels here is actually is love, or will grow into love, she knows like I know, she's only 15. Harry's only 19 in his bit, my age, probably too young to label it as love - but he's a lot more grown up than any others I know. It also let me write what I thought would happen next between the pair. The language, too, that I used was important. It wasn't overly dramatic (Ginny actually talks about this), though I would like to think it's somewhat effective, maybe even poetic. So yeah, "The Brightening Glance"!!!

Ok, I'm posting this as internet connection is really bad and I'm afraid I'll be cut off! Back in a minute hun with the rest of the answers!

#4 BrightStar

BrightStar

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:30 PM

3. That's a toughie, my favourites aren't actually in any order. Canadian Hogwart's stories, "Explorers" and "Behind the Shed" are so gorgeous! I'm a sucker for next-gen as children, and these are written so well. These are favourites, but at the moment "Arcanum" by MajiKat is the one that really springs to mind. i was breathless reading about it, I'm tearing up thinking about it! The plot and the writing are really special. Ordinarily, I wouldn't like something so descriptive, but this was amazing.

4. I joined HPFF in December. I'd actually been reading and reviewing anonomously since 2004 or so - I'd read solidly for days, then leave for months. Once day, I'd say about 2 years ago I wrote what would beome "Trains" for a friend for a joke. Then, recently, I was chatting on MuggleNet interactive avout fanfic. I had SO many opinions on the subject, pairings, etc... I kind of just had to write them. Not just that, I had to share them. It's great to have people to talk to about writing :)

#5 BrightStar

BrightStar

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

5. Ok Sophia, you are going to be so sorry you asked me this. Before we start, here's Albus Severus Potter.
(Although the facial hair is a bit much for a 15 year old...)
Posted Image

In "Al Potter and the Year the Dung hit the Fan", Albus is just about to start his fifth year at Hogwarts. Since starting, the way he is treated, as a VIP in Hogwarts has really had an effect on him. He believes he is superior, and has no problem with this. Anyway, on the morning on September 1st, he decides this year is going to be his year. Lucy is Head Girl, James is Quidditch captain, he and Rose are prefects - his family are in prime position to go on ruling the school, a reign Teddy and Victoire established when there.

Basically, over the course of the 14 chapters (yes, I have the outlines :rolleyes: ) he realises the way he sees the world is a little wrong. Though he isnt a complete jerk (well, not as bad as James...) he really is superior. He starts to struggle with who he is, and the pressure the wizarding community puts on him as Harry's son.

And like any "bildungsroman" (did I spell that right?), of course there's a girl. Eva Florick, the "Ravenclaw Randomer" (she's in my sig!), a little catalyst for this change :)

So yeah, 14 chapters. Bitta coming-of-age-crisis, first love, a really big, weird family, the struggles of a next-gen kid, etc etc. Also, theres something going on between Rose and Scorpius :D

I'll prob wait to publish over the summer, when it's all written. Hope you like!!!

#6 NaidatheRavenclaw

NaidatheRavenclaw

Fifth Year

• Prefect
  • 968 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:35 AM

Hello! Found your stories because of my review thread, and then came over here and was shocked to see how little love your MTA page has! You are an amazing author and deserve more fans!

So, orderofthepheonix already asked some of my questions, but I'll come up with some more for you!

1.Do you like lottery type challenges or challenges where you can pick everything yourself better?

2. At what time of day do you write your best?

3.Do you have any special rituals you do while writing? (listen to music, eat, in a certain spot, etc.)

4.Not story related, but why did you pick Gryffindor as your house?

5. What is your favorite part of the forums?

6. Are there any authors you admire and look up to?

7. Is writing more of a hobby for you, or something you plan to pursue?

You are an incredible writer, and I hope more people realize that soon!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
icons by somuch @TDA | Proud QTR editor
HPFF (12+ to M) | TDA (12+)

NaNo Word Count: 25,218/50,000

#7 BrightStar

BrightStar

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hi! Thanks so much!

1. Hmm, well generally I like the lottery but I've been known to request! I like the idea of the lottery though, it makes it more of a chalenge!

2. Laaate at night. Like after midnight :L Though I do bits at other times. I do filler bits, proofreading etc when watching TV in the evenings or whatever!

3. Oh god. I have whole playlists for my one shots, I'm so obsessive. You've read The Second and Beautiful Dawn I think? Well because of Beautiful Dawn I've listened to James Blunt's "High" more than anyone ever should! I think I was helped through The Second by The Coronas, but they had more of a general playlist :D

4. Well it was Gryffindor and Ravenclaw for me, I was in a fiercly loyal mood at the time I think! Haha also I was loyal to Gryffs on MuggleNet Interactive a while back :)

5. Meeting everyone, definately. I love the blogs :) And the general status updates, little insights into peoples days :) Good question!

6. HPFF or in real life? For real life... God well you only have ot turn to Sources or The Roofwalker to see the Adrienne Rich obsession! I love Rich, Virginia Woolf, James Joyce.... Anyone who ever paved the way for others :)

7. I plan to pursue an academic writing career, on literary theory and critical writing. Though a part of me wonders could I be a creative writer some day!

Thanks so much, really touched you took the time!!

#8 charlottetrips

charlottetrips

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

Hey, so I've read some of your stories over time and decided to get to know you a bit more because I'm fascinated how you've created your own little universe following the Epilogue, which leads me to my first question:

1) What got you into writing Next Gen? Like what was it about these kids that we only got a glimpse of in the books that inspired you?

2) Do you keep a little chart or log so that you can follow this universe you've created?

3) All time favorite author or story to read on HPFF?

4) Do you write other fanfiction or is Harry Potter your item?

5) When you sneeze, do you make a funny sound or is it a regular sneeze? :p

Decided to give you some variety there!

call me char//hpff // tda // mta twelve plus + up

0Y97nam.png

#9 magnolia_magic

magnolia_magic

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hey B! I've really enjoyed reading your stories, and I thought I'd stop by with a few questions :)

1.) Do you have any new story ideas at the moment?

2.) How long exactly did it take you to write How Soon Is Now (one of my favorite stories ever, by the way)? Was it a difficult process, or did the story come easily?

3.) Do you plan your story chapters in advance before you start writing, or do you just see where things end up?

4.) Lucy is by far my favorite of your next-gen characters (although James comes in at a close second), but who has been your favorite to write?

Once again, I love your stories! Keep up the great work :D

--Maggie

currently writing: teh's Rare Pairing challenge piece

helgasig_zps6bc7e2c0.png

lovely set by apondinabluebox~down comes the night (15+)~author page (12+)

#10 BrightStar

BrightStar

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

Wow, I didn't think anyone was asking questions here, so I didn't check. Sorry for the delay! This is so exciting and flattering!!

Charlottetripps:

1) What got you into writing Next Gen? Like what was it about these kids that we only got a glimpse of in the books that inspired you?

I think everyone, to some extent, is curious about "what happens next", even if they don't write about that era. I mean, just regarding Harry Potter alone, Jo wouldn't have put in that epilogue if she thought we didn't want to know. What Jo gave us there, I think, is the idea that life goes on, and I suppose I was curious about where that would go.

I had read fanfiction here before Deathly Hallows, but kept away until I had formed my own ideas about what happened next. I read and reread the epilogue, and seen Jo's family tree, and from there made a few assumptions, particularly about what happened directly after the war. It was only when I started to disagree with others about what the next-gen kids were like, etc, I began to think about who they really were. Then.. I don't know. I think I thought they deserved their voices as much as anyone else.

That's how it started, but as I moved on, I became obsessed with the next-gens as products of the generation before. I mean, thats what every generation is, but these kids came out of a horrific war, which had in turn come out of another horrific war. While the fighting had long since ceased, I really believed, and still believe, there had to be some inherited trauma there - passed on in grief, or outlooks on life - for example, the "Love is all you need" idea I use in my short story collection.

2) Do you keep a little chart or log so that you can follow this universe you've created?

Oh I do, but nothing as organised as it would seem you think from your questions! Many, many bits of word documents, and a master plan. The master plan tells me where everyone is at at what I call "Year Zero" (The Epilogue). For example - Teddy has just left Hogwarts, Victore is beginning seventh year, etc. I've then made similar lists for other stories - Year Zero plus four, I think, is when How Soon is Now starts. I slip up a lot, even so, since I didn't plan very carefully at the start - I made up something odd in my head about Teddy's birth and enrollment to justify why he only graduated a year ahead of Victoire!

3) All time favorite author or story to read on HPFF?

Oh it's so hard to know! I had a lot of old favourites, back before I had an account, so they're not in my list. I remember I LOVED a Lily/James novel with all my heart, but I've never been able to find again.

I've mentioned Canadian Hogwarts, just looking at my favourites (I haven't even read here for ages so I have to rely on these) I really like SexyDoorFrame's "The Human Factor". It's funny, but also really gripping. Violet Gryfindor is incredibly talented.

I remember being obsessed with Beadle by gingersnape though. I don't think I'll ever forget that one. I'm afraid I can't even begin to describe how amazing the premise, let alone the skillful way its written, is to me!

4) Do you write other fanfiction or is Harry Potter your item?

Just Harry for me :) I've read other bits, but only Harry Potter has ever tempted me to write :)

5) When you sneeze, do you make a funny sound or is it a regular sneeze?

That's a great one! It's kind of regular, except when it's a really big sneeze. I say "achoo!" really clearly, but in a really deep, many voice :L

Thank you so much Charlotte!

Magnolia_magic:

Hello Maggie! So lovely of you to drop by :D

1.) Do you have any new story ideas at the moment?

To be honest I'm not even sure how long I'm back. Just last night, I couldn't sleep, and remembered that this time last year I was actively writing both "How Soon is Now?" and "All You Need is Love." I felt I had to come back and at least finish what I started with "All You Need is Love", for the sake of the people who like the story.

I have the old ideas I suppose - that Albus novella, I have a few chapters done but I don't want to start it and then stop and give up again. I did want to write a Lily/James novel, and intended to do nano. I have a prologue written, but might just make that into a one-shot.

Having said that, I got the idea of a one-shot about Ginny's sixth year in Hogwarts, during Deathly Hallows. I had been going to write a one-shot about her seeing Harry "dead" at the Battle of Hogwarts, and then realising he's alive. Today, though, I though it'd be cool to get away from that kind of fic, and write what it was like under the control of Snape and the Carrows, in that oppressive, terrifying environment. It won't be action or drama or anything, still like something I'd write - her just getting through her day, hoping Harry and Ron and Hermione will come one day maybe. Pretty much the Ginny I hint at in "Inglorious."

Actually, I really want to do this now, thanks to your question! Hmmm.... look out for that one, perhaps under the name "Things Fall Apart."

First though, I need to finish "All You Need is Love", I still have Fred, Lucy, Molly, Hugo and Lily left!

2.) How long exactly did it take you to write How Soon Is Now (one of my favorite stories ever, by the way)? Was it a difficult process, or did the story come easily?

Favourite???? Wow! Thank you! It took from about May-October (my finishing date was in the last chapter). Late May I think. I was facing into a summer, after exams, working in a very boring job like poor Lucy - though mine was just summer work. It was a difficult process, really. I'm not as committed as some of the writers here, unfortunately. I keep my writing a secret and just write in bursts of energy, normally when I'm stressed or upset (though not always!). I think this makes it harder as I can't set aside time for writing, like a good writer would. However, that's just actually writing it. I found it extremely easy to imagine the characters (well, my versions of them), the plot and the details. I used boring periods in work to map out plans in my head :L

Though I'm not Lucy, How Soon is Now came from a point in my life where I wasn't sure what was happening, what would happen next. It took no real imagination to create Lucy from me at that time, though the wording and editing of the story didn't come as easy! As I said in an authors note at the end though, I had to thank The Smiths, who I was obsessed with at the time. They didn't just give me the story name and chapter names - they wrote that story when I couldn't.

3.) Do you plan your story chapters in advance before you start writing, or do you just see where things end up?

I plan, I suppose. I map out where the characters are (as in the answer to Charlottes question). I have to, since my stories are linked. I then plan the rest in my head, and make notes when I'm afraid something mightn't stick. I'm not a meticulous planner though, though I think that comes from my lack of commitment - though I wish I had that!

4.) Lucy is by far my favorite of your next-gen characters (although James comes in at a close second), but who has been your favorite to write?

Wow, this a hard one. I love writing Albus (and by extension, Eva), though most of what I had written about him is still waiting on my computer. He's the old favourite really. I find Teddy and Victoire hard - I ADORED writing them from Lucy's point of view, but I don't think I did them justice in their own stories.I can't say Lily because I haven't even properly finished hers, but I love her. She's gentle, and dreamy and really gets the whole post-war thing, though she doesn't harp on about it.

Rose is way up there in the favourites. Shes mean and sarcastic, taking the worst of both Ron and Hermione in trying not to be like them. But shes also so fierce and loving, and is the only really funny one out of my characters. I just feel I've written her story so much, theres no point in going back. I think "Who Has to Know" is the most fun writing I've ever had :L

But you asked me to pick a favourite. Dominique and Lucy tie then. Dom is loud and viciously idealistic. I know why I love writing her, I feel so passionate about her story when I write it. I can't explain why I love writing Lucy - I think maybe its because she came from me, but she's so different. Lucy annoys me, and I think thats why I love her. She is the only character I've ever wanted to write in the first person, and I don't think I ever made that decision. It's just natural for me to write Lucy.

Thank you so much! This was fun!

(Sorry for rambling and errors - it is waaay past my bedtime!)

Edited by BrightStar, 03 August 2012 - 02:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users