#46 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Hey!
I love your Albus from etc etc and life goes on!
I wanted to ask where you get your inspiration from, for his character

I've come across a few Albus-types in real life before, haha. A lot of my inspiration originally was the jaded celebrity archetype. I can't think of a specific one, but I remember I've seen a lot of movies using that kind of character before. I wanted to give Albus this darker twist, because he might say he doesn't like the fame, but he clearly likes the influence he has along with it.

I'm also inspired by Sherlock and Irene Adler (BBC version). He's actually Irene, bahah. To Clemence, he is The Enigma. He is the one who boggles her mind in the slightest ways, all adding up to one great mystery, and I think pretty similarly to how Irene did to Sherlock. And Albus' great downfall is his emotions, while Clemence's is her pride, and I always liked that dichotomy to them.

Thanks for stopping by! ^__^

s61ytfo.png 2TgY3WG.png nzvqOQV.png

author's page | art/tumblr | all links [M]

#47 Coley

Coley

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

I've been meaning to ask you a few questions for a while now but alas, procrastination and sheer forgetfulness seem to be my strong points :)

Oh, before the question(s), I just want to thank your awesome muse and writing talent for getting my back into fanfiction after my horrible 15/16-year-old self divulged in Dramione's. *shudder*

Question numero uno.
How do you manage to control a large cast of characters? I'm doing so myself in the first next-gen novel I'm writing, but my brain seems to hate it, any tips?

Numero dos.
Any tips for writing Quidditch scenes?

Rather rubbish questions I'm aware, but again, forgetfulness wins. :D

PS. There aren't enough smiley's in this post. :yahoo: :laugh: :hug:

sXRIrly.gif

coley

stories 15+

#48 agenth

agenth

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for answering me :)

I guess Albus is Harry's son after all, his weakness are emotions as well, in my opinion.
I understand that he doesn't like all the fangirls, but I guess he would feel a certain loss as well, if all of his fame suddenly went away.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Go Gryffies!

#49 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

I've been meaning to ask you a few questions for a while now but alas, procrastination and sheer forgetfulness seem to be my strong points :)

Oh, before the question(s), I just want to thank your awesome muse and writing talent for getting my back into fanfiction after my horrible 15/16-year-old self divulged in Dramione's. *shudder*

Question numero uno.
How do you manage to control a large cast of characters? I'm doing so myself in the first next-gen novel I'm writing, but my brain seems to hate it, any tips?

Numero dos.
Any tips for writing Quidditch scenes?

Rather rubbish questions I'm aware, but again, forgetfulness wins. :D

PS. There aren't enough smiley's in this post. :yahoo: :laugh: :hug:

Eep, I'm so happy I can inspire anyone! ^__^ Bahaha, no shame in old indulgences; we've all had them. They're still plenty fun to read now! 8D

1. Firstly, I learned a lot by reading other fics that do it well (The Morning Waffle, Bathing in Roses, After Hours, Unwritten). Read fics and think about how you're thinking and how they build that scene in your mind. With scenes involving lots of characters, it's a lot about building up just enough of the scene and letting the readers guess the rest. So sometimes I have a little reminder of what characters in the background may be doing every so often, etc. It gets easier to juggle with practice; I even had a large cast with Game, and that was my first go, and I stumbled around but I got a good feel of it.

Huge casts with storylines involving many characters might need a little extra planning. The Capers storyline fits the third-person PoV rotation I do, and I had a pretty good idea of the main points and the ending since the beginning (even though lots of things have changed, the plots have gone in the general idea of what I intended). It worked out nicely so that each storyline helps the others forward.

What helps me is sometimes writing a short paragraph for myself explaining what this character wants and how other characters and the current events have been affecting them. It puts things in perspective and reminds me of what's important and how all my subplots intertwine. And like I said, things change. Rose was supposed to be a semi-major character, but that storyline went out the window. It happens.

2. Hee, I have no idea except to read some of the actual Quidditch scenes in the books and get inspired by that. Wizards can come up with some pretty creative fouls, so don't be afraid to let loose. Sometimes it's also best to transition through blocks of time via a paragraph or two and then describe only the most relevant scenes. I also love making the most of the announcing 8D

ALL THE SMILEYS :D :D :D

Thanks for answering me :)

I guess Albus is Harry's son after all, his weakness are emotions as well, in my opinion.
I understand that he doesn't like all the fangirls, but I guess he would feel a certain loss as well, if all of his fame suddenly went away.

Oh, I totally forgot but yes! Albus inherited Harry's frustration with fame, though Albus is much more bitter about it, and he definitely has his father's brand of anger as well. Given a choice, I think he would unquestionably choose to not be famous, but for the time being, he's certainly making the most of it 8D

#50 Meghna

Meghna

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

*saunters in* WELL HULLO THERE. Don't mind if I ask a few questions, aye?

1. Could you break down the three (or how many more you want) most important elements a good (or great) fic needs, out of experience?

As in, what boxes the really good ones generally tick.

2. When you started off writing, did you think you'd be such a humongous success and source of so much inspiration?

3. What's your writing process for a new story like? Do you have the whole plot figured out when you start writing the first chapter, or is it all spontaneous?

That will be all, I think. ily ^___^

M E G H N A  //  C O N T O U R
sig by inspector. @ tda ♥ fanfic tumblr (12+)

69nwir.jpg
click for my [15+] story if you're into untimely
baths and genderbending in the name of justice (◕‿◕✿)

#51 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

DUDE WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME SUCH HARD QUESTIONS. (but ilu.)

1. Could you break down the three (or how many more you want) most important elements a good (or great) fic needs, out of experience?
As in, what boxes the really good ones generally tick.

I am wondering what you think my experience is :p I'm a terrible reader, and I never read as much as I should.

Direction. I'm terrible at this because I hate planning as much as the next person, but I can tell when a story is planned and when it isn't, and it is so much better when it's properly outlined and written all at once before posting, since the pacing tends to be more consistent and it doesn't start to sputter toward the end. The story should always feel like it's moving forward, and if I'm learning about the setting or the characters, it should seem necessary, like I'm learning something new.

Fallible protagonists/three-dimensional antagonists. I get very attached to characters, and if I don't care for them, I don't care for the story. That doesn't mean I need to necessarily like them - this is the bit that gets missed, I think. It's about feeling something for them. Loving them and hating them and getting frustrated at them. I find a lot of stories are overly concerned with making sure readers will like their protagonist, and that can often cheapen the conflicts and character growth - and I don't fault that too much because I've a lot of people equate 'well-liked character' = 'well-written character', which is just silly reasoning. In every fandom, I see stuff like 'How can you like so-and-so, he's done these terrible things' - the hubbub over whether Snape is good or bad, for example - but it's as if we forget that actual people have good and bad sides to them. We don't even always like our friends in real life. Same goes for antagonists: they shouldn't be beacons of pure evil; they're just the opposition to the protagonist. They don't even need to be "bad" people.
So, tl;dr: seeing humans for what we are.

The right flow and level of detail. I don't know how to describe this exactly, but when I read, I see this film-version play out in my head. As I read, I want that film to keep going. I don't want to be jarred out of it. That means I need enough detail to imagine the scene and also cues for what's important in my scene. Like, some descriptions have more weight than others because it's symbolic or uses a metaphor or it just sticks out. That's how I know to focus on it, and also why one shouldn't describe everything. I like it when the author trusts the readers to fill in the details themselves, and also, describing everything is just bad writing.

2. When you started off writing, did you think you'd be such a humongous success and source of so much inspiration?
omg meghna stop it. Heh, when I started writing, I was just here to finish one WIP. One. TDA? naaah. Oneshots? mehhhh. And now, I just passed the two year mark on my return to HPFF last week, holy dumblenuggets.

I'm just glad that there are people out there who like what I write and are invested in my characters like I am. The inspiration bit really gets to me, because people have told me that before, and it never stops being mind-blowing. I learned everything about writing from fellow HPFFers so it goes both ways.

In all honesty, and I recall saying this somewhere before, I don't feel like a writer. I wouldn't call myself one. I do try to experiment and improve because I like writing enough, but ultimately, it's not the writing itself that's important to me - it's the stories. Characters and ideas exist in my brain and I have to get them out somehow, and they happen to come out in the form of writing, so I guess that makes me more of a storyteller (that probably sounds pretentious).

3. What's your writing process for a new story like? Do you have the whole plot figured out when you start writing the first chapter, or is it all spontaneous?
I'm pretty good about culling my plunnies, so I don't start too many new things. I always have a purpose in mind when I write. Basically, I ask myself, "What happens in the end?" and "Why does the story have to go through all of this before reaching the end?"

Oneshots generally just write themselves from the middle out. I have a scene or an image, I write that part and it grows out from there. Novels, I have a general outline, and it doesn't take long for me to deviate from it :p the outline sort of grows along as I write more. The important part of my outlines are generally not to be what the events are, but what the results of the events are. That's why my overarching plot can stay pretty much the same while a lot of the little things change. As long as it gets to the same conclusion, it's all good.

<3333

Edited by justonemorefic, 26 June 2012 - 12:13 AM.

#52 TheHouseElf

TheHouseElf

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Gina! *Waves up and down like a fan girl* You don't know me *stops waving, embarassed*, I'm Aisha and I'm here to pick apart your brain to steal your jaw dropping, incomprehensible, gargantuan talent, okay?
  • Why are you so amazing? Seriously, your graphics, your writing, everything you do is just fnrpsdlna! Is it to do with being Asian and having to be perfect ;) or because your Gina and you are just legendary?
  • How do you come up with so much clever witty retorts? I was rereading etc. etc. and I was laughing and gawping at the same time. I ended up choking. I can't make up comebacks, no matter how hard I try. That's why I don't cuss people back... because I know I'll say 'you're stupid' or something equally lame.
  • What cliches or overused character types do you really hate or that you can't help but love if done right?
  • What puts you in the mood for writing?
  • Will you ever publish a novel in real life or adapt on of your fics for real life? Because if you do, I'll definitely read it ;) Please?
  • What situations have you been in that have inspired you?
  • What made you want to be in Ravenclaw? I'm a Puff myself :D
Sorry for the excessive amount of questions!
-Aisha

Edited by TheHouseElf, 17 July 2012 - 07:34 PM.

I be Aisha. Milady@TDA

30rpb8l.jpg
Gallery|Author's Page|Cluedo[M]| MTA
Page

#53 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

I think I remember you from reviews a few times :3 HALLO!

Why are you so amazing? Seriously, your graphics, your writing, everything you do is just fnrpsdlna! Is it to do with being Asian and having to be perfect ;) or because your Gina and you are just legendary?

*blushes* nawwww. I've always felt like a bit of jack of all trades. I'm not nearly as good as so many other talented people, but I love what I do (and I love doing everything) and I hope that shows :) I always have ideas on the brain, and I try new things when I can. I've learned so much in my past two years of writing, not only about storytelling (I actually can't unsee plot structure in everything I read and watch now; it's in the background like the Matrix), but about myself, too. And I never would have stuck around if I hadn't met so many awesome people ^__^

How do you come up with so much clever witty retorts? I was rereading etc. etc. and I was laughing and gawping at the same time. I ended up choking. I can't make up comebacks, no matter how hard I try. That's why I don't cuss people back... because I know I'll say 'you're stupid' or something equally lame.

I am actually really bad at being witty. In real life, I say a bunch of eyerollingly stupid jokes at inappropriate times, and not accidentally either. I like to think that any wit in my stories is purely accidental. There have been times where I stumbled across a good line while I edit and I am completely baffled that I wrote it.

If there is anything that I've learned, it is that arrogant, stubborn people swim in one-liners because they need to get the last word and are super competitive (and it doesn't hurt that I'm the same way :p). Fun fact, I've actually semi-banned the words 'competition' and 'game' from all of my stories except for Game because that one story's used it enough for a lifetime.

What cliches or overused character types do you really hate or that you can't help but love if done right?

The one thing that always irks me is romanticizing the idea of one character 'fixing' another through ~true love~, or love where the couple 'need' each other LIKE BURNING. It sets up such a unhealthy idea of love.

I can't take ~mysterious bad boys~ seriously at all in real life, but in fiction I am always like, GIMME MOREE. I will also always cheer for the downtrodden, the ones with perpetually untied shoelaces and puddles everywhere they walk.

What puts you in the mood for writing?
I usually have to force myself to write the first 1000 words of a chapter, and then the next few days I'll always want to write until I finish the chapter. I just need enough on my doc to anchor the chapter in my head; even though I have outlines, it's different from actually writing the chapter out.

Will you ever publish a novel in real life or adapt on of your fics for real life? Because if you do, I'll definitely read it ;) Please?
Bahaha, I don't think so. Writing is strictly a hobby, and I've never thought about it as anything but. I could get a plunny I can't resist one day though, who knows?

What situations have you been in that have inspired you?
Nothing specific, but a big reason why I started writing was because I felt like there wasn't enough representation of a characters that I wanted to see, characters that I could relate to more, so I am quite like my main characters xD A lot of the conflicts my characters go through recount lessons I've learned. Clemence is very much like how I was in my cynical teen-angst-except-not-really phase, and Bea's inspired by my do-I-want-to-be-an-illustrator phase.

What made you want to be in Ravenclaw? I'm a Puff myself :D
I'm a total 'Claw! I really do love learning for the sake of learning. It's fun to, well, know things. I love science, and history was my favorite subject in high school (etc. etc. is such a huge reflection of everything I learned AP Gov. Everyone needs to take a well-taught government class, by the way; it's one of the most important classes someone can take /end PSA).

Thank you so much for the questions, Aisha! ^__^

Edited by justonemorefic, 20 July 2012 - 05:39 AM.

#54 spreaddapoo93

spreaddapoo93

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

*creak of the door... empty hallway... "Hello? (hello hello hello)... Hmmm..."

I've been reading through your Q and A, and it seems like I don't really have a question to ask you :) Inspiration, words of advice, favourite everything questions have been exhausted, so... I'd just like to take the opportunity to say shtuff, if you don't mind? Which I guess sort of defies the purpose of an Ask the Author page, but I've always been a rulebreaker (Hell yeah! My Primary School glory days when I used to hide a bling chain under my crisply tucked shirt?! Memories...).

Seems like you've done your fair share of inspiring over the years, and I think it's safe to say that you can add me to the list. I've just finished my first year of university and I hadn't written or read anything voluntarily since the beginning of the year, and when I sat in front of my laptop in a very dreary attempt to actually write something, I found absolute rubbish spewing from my fingertips (and was thus disillusioned). But, erm... Thanks to you, I think I got a lot of my mojo back.

It's funny because I think fans have this tendency to see some distant, obscure quality and say, "OMG, that's totally my favourite colour as well; we're totally, like, the same person!", but I can't help but spot all these strange similarities! I won't go listing all of them now (but I do happen to be Asian *HIGH FIVE!*), and I don't make much of them now, but I will proudly claim that on my birthday two/three years ago I indulged myself in buying a three-volume hardcover Calvin and Hobbes Complete Works for only 1500 Rand (Erm... I think that's US$300?). I don't think I've made a better investment!

Anyway, you really are an inspiration, and it's a shame you're not pursuing literature or graphics, because, truly, your perky writing skills and phenomenal instinct and knowledge of compositional aesthetics make you invaluable to the arts community; but as long as you're doing what you love, I guess it's all fair and square :)

Anyway, thanks for the invaluable experience... I haven't read any of your other fics, but I'll probably get around to doing it soon because I just ADORE your work and it really has rubbed off on some of the planning I'm doing for my own fics. Not so much in character, or even the imagery/writing style, but more in trying to capture the atmosphere you create. I'd like to create an unforgettable atmosphere in a story.

Sidenote: You probably won't do this, but just to be super sure, please don't check out any of my fics on HPFF; I'm a little bit embarrassed, because they were earlier works when I was... wow, I must have been around 14/5, with no planning, no characterisation, all drama/angst fuelled... I'm itching to delete them, but I like having them around to remind myself how far I've progressed...

I guess I could ask one question, which would be your advice, I guess?

I have this ridiculous knack of saving ideas I consider good in case I might want to use them in an original novel instead of putting them in a fan fic, and then I get paranoid and anxious because they lay to waste and my fics probably turn out really mediocre... What would be your advice on that?

And because I don't want to sound like a self-obsessed prat, which I probably am ;), let me ask you one question about yourself

What do you think is your reason for living?

Haha, I didn't mean for this post to be so loooooooooooooong, but that tends to happen whenever I end up with a keyboard. This sort of looks like a long, moping letter to some Agony Aunt - Hahaha, thinking of you as an agony aunt just made my day! Sigh...

Well... Thanks for everything and hope you the best! I'll run into you sometime soon, I'm guessing. :)

Edited by spreaddapoo93, 14 November 2012 - 12:34 AM.

Birthday Tradition, Every Rockin' Year: "Girls' night out, you say? How about eleven hours of Lord of the Freakin' Rings, Extended Edition, in full costume? And... Lembas bread straight out of the oven, anyone?"

#55 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

I'M FINALLY HUNKERING DOWN TO ANSWER THIS. So my reaction to everything you've said in the past two weeks has mostly been clutching at my cheeks, frozen in gleeful squee, and just thinking, people are so nice and they say such nice things and I am not worthy aaaah because really aaaaaah.
Posted Image

I get messages about being an inspiration every once in awhile, but I've never gotten used to it. And in your case, to help restart a muse, too! :D Back in 2010, I actually came back to HPFF because I started reading a fic here again, and I would PM the author a few months later telling her this. I was terrified but she sent back such a nice response, and I never would've thought that I'd be in a similar position one day. I'm still getting used to the idea of being a writer. Writing is 'that hobby I picked up again when I got reaaally bored before summer.' There are times where I think to myself, I don't know enough technical stuff, or I don't read enough, or I'm winging it as I go -- which are all true -- and so I feel a bit like a fraud, especially since writing itself isn't particularly important to me. But I absolutely adore all my characters 110%. The reason I write is to get their stories out of my head in the hopes that someone out there will love them as much as I do :D

I'm not nixing out the possibility of professional design and writing! I just don't want to feel pressured into my creative pursuits to earn a buck. I like coding, but I've never felt as ambitious in that field, perhaps because projects are so time-intensive, and I split my time up enough already. I see comp sci stuff as work and I like it that way; it keeps art and writing as a shiny present for "free time", whatever that is. I'd like to try to get something published actually, because I think I should at least attempt it to know what it's like, and I have an OF amoeba of a plunny stewing quietly.

And also, I HAVE THE SAME THREE VOLUME CALVIN AND HOBBES. And so the distant, obscure quality creeps a bit closer. If you like to cook, stockpile kitten gifs and constantly point at people/things/words saying 'Hey doesn't that look like -- ' and totally ruin said person/thing/word for your friends, then we might be almost very nearly be the same person.

I know how old shame can be; I will dutifully avert my eyes! all right now, questions~

I have this ridiculous knack of saving ideas I consider good in case I might want to use them in an original novel instead of putting them in a fan fic, and then I get paranoid and anxious because they lay to waste and my fics probably turn out really mediocre... What would be your advice on that?

I'm probably a terrible person to ask this, because I haven't written anything original since I was 12. But since I do have an OF plunny, and I was actually thinking to myself, 'I wish I could just rewrite Capers but with my new knowledge of planning and without feeling pressured by serial updates' because Capers is the kind of story I'd like to write in OF, especially because it has much of the elements that existed in the last OF plunny I had before writing fanfiction. But in half an hour I started forming a new idea, so I would say to trust just yourself that you'll have other ideas. Me personally -- I get a lot of ideas, but I don't get invested in them until I start writing it and get invested in the characters, so my ideas are somewhat expendable; it's the characters that aren't.

I'd say that some ideas fit better in fic than they do in OF and vice versa. If an idea fits a story, and you want to write that story right now, go with it. I've learned that there's no fighting a muse, and I'd feel like I shortchanged my story if I didn't write in an idea that I felt belonged in it.

What do you think is your reason for living?
to gorge myself on cookies
Heh, but really, I suppose I live to create and to learn more about, well, everything. I think the former's pretty apparent in my choice of hobbies. I didn't notice it until recently how much I fill up my spare time in comparison to other people I know. I always have some idea to bring to life. It's funny -- I was raised as a one of those rabidly overachieving Asian kids with the emotional content of a lug nut, and even with a bit of art class, I don't know where any of the creativity comes from -- but I was a very curious child. I read everything in the house and tried a million hobbies, and I'm glad that little me used my time well. To this day, I need to know things. I love learning, and I wish more people did. I see a lot of people mark subjects as difficult or boring much too soon and never give themselves a chance to explore and realize, hey, it's not so bad. Mostly it's laziness; I know that's what happens to me. But in the subjects where I take the time to connect the dots and think about why things work -- be it biology, history, or what makes a story good -- I come out with such invaluable knowledge, like the world's literally expanded in my mind, that I can't imagine myself without it.

THAT WAS VERY LONG. Celebration cake for making it through all that. :xwish: Good luck to your writing ventures! :D

#56 spreaddapoo93

spreaddapoo93

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hello! (I am ashamed to say that I have stolen your Andrew Garfield GIF. It now holds a permanent tenancy on my Firefox tab, which I turn to stare at for a good few minutes when I need some comic relief.)

I am resisting the urge to say that we are one and the same, because I DO THAT TOO (*gasp!*) I am going to dutifully ignore all warning signs that we may be doppelgangers of each other dispersed across the globe, before all Hell breaks loose by us discovering such a supernatural phenomenon.

Thanks for the reply (it was wonderful conversing with you) and the celebration cake... and the good luck(!)... and I guess the deeply philosophical answers to my deeply philosophical questions :D I'm absolutely in love with your one-shots right now, and And Capers Ensue (as you could probably tell by the reviews).

Anyway, I'm going over and out! Do you mind if I PM you at some point or other if I feel like desperately contacting you?

Thanks again, and if it were up to me, I would reward your excellence in writing/graphics/life with a lifetime's worth of Willy Wonka all assorted candy (packed in those wonderful trucks, just like in the book/Gene-Wilder-movie)... Or the whole darned factory!

Bye bye!
Birthday Tradition, Every Rockin' Year: "Girls' night out, you say? How about eleven hours of Lord of the Freakin' Rings, Extended Edition, in full costume? And... Lembas bread straight out of the oven, anyone?"

#57 Mahalia

Mahalia

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hey! I love your work - I truly do. You are a brilliant writer, but if there is one thing I've really noticed about your work, it's your characters. Not one is the same, and every one has their good, bad, quirky traits. When you write your characters, do you have them in your mind, or do you write profiles for them before you start the book? Do you ever leave out character interactions that you love, but it doesn't exactly fit into the plotline (I only say this, because I've done that before and it really broke my heart, haha)?

I'm sorry I don't have longer questions; it's been a while since I've posted in MTA. But I've been dying to know how you make your characters so realistic and perfect since I finished And Capers Ensue.

'I will not live with a wolf at my back.' - Fenris || set by somuch @tda.

s5e0yd.jpg

rozen_maiden @ HPFF || MTA || Blog (all links 12+)

#58 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

I feel like I can answer this question better now because I did a bit of thinking on the topic when I finished Capers and was deciding how to go about writing my original fic!

Characters are the most important part of a story for me :) Their development is the story for me a lot of the time. My characters are often born from the frustration over why there aren't more characters like this. I'm not waiting around until someone writes them; I'll write them. I'm very aware of tropes and mindful not to let them color my characters for me. It's easy to fall in the trap of, he's ____ so he must be _____ and forget to flesh out the details. Never characterize by assumption. You shouldn't assume things about other people you meet on the street, so you especially shouldn't do that to your characters; you are the only one who can introduce them to readers. Dig into their personal history, their motivations that they might not like but have anyway, their irrationalities that come with being human.

I plan/profile but not much, probably below average for writers. I tend to live out my characters in my head, something I used to do as a kid (basically wrote fanfiction in my head before I knew it existed). My characters usually start on a simple premise--Bea is a ditzy genius, Scorpius is an idealist businessman, etc. I tend to use the first third of my story to flesh them out, mostly for myself. This is bad. It's why I'm never content with the pacing and content with the beginnings of my fics, because I wrote them while I was still discovering what my characters are like, and there's a lot of unnecessary wishy-washy circling and the characterization just isn't as strong. But when I figure out what they're all about, everything I write starts pushing that forward, and I can write the story as a whole more purposefully. I still get surprises. I never expected Fred to become as much of a hero as he did, and early readers might recall my frustration with writing him, but his arc toward the end is probably my favorite out of the entire story.

This is something I'm keeping in mind for when I write my OF. Aspiring writers should write a lot so they discover these habits and figure out how to use it to their benefit. My plan for OF is to write sort of a faux beginning, walk in my characters' shoes for a while until I get to know them, and then probably cut most of it out. Then what's left, hopefully, will be my stronger writing, written when I know my characters better.

I do actually leave a lot of interactions out! Not terribly a lot, but many that were initially beloved to me. But I replace them with better scenes, or at least scenes that benefit the story as a whole more. I delete a lot of little sections while I'm editing, too. I'm sad I don't get to show everything, but it's always been the right choice. Sacrifices of the author!

Thank you for the compliments and for the questions ^__^ they were a lot of fun to answer!

Edited by justonemorefic, 13 August 2013 - 08:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users