57 replies to this topic

#1 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

Hullo! If you're here, I gather you're either semi-curious about me, on a House scavenger hunt of some sort, or accidentally clicked a wrong link.

If you're the former two, I write and make graphics and stuff, and I generally do not sleep. I've got very fickle taste, so mind some of my responses in some of the older questions; my adventures in writing are ever-changing.

If you accidentally clicked the wrong link, the back button is probably at the top left of your browser. Sorry for the minor inconvenience.

Ask away!

Edited by long_live_luna_bellatrix, 21 December 2011 - 09:28 PM.

s61ytfo.png 2TgY3WG.png nzvqOQV.png

author's page | art/tumblr | all links [M]

#2 long_live_luna_bellatrix

long_live_luna_bellatrix

MTA Moderator

• Section Mods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

Hi there! I just stumbled upon this, and since I started reading Game yesterday, I have a few questions for you. ;)

1. Where did you get your inspiration for Game?
2. You say you abandoned it two years ago, then came back to it. What happened to influence those decisions?
3. Are you the sort of person that plans stories meticulously, wings it, or is somewhere in the middle?
4. I noticed several witty parts of the first chapter, and a few puns as well (Davies and gentlemen...). Do those come easily or do you find yourself struggling to produce them?
5. What's so appealing to you about taking cliches and un-cliche-ing them?
6. In the first chapter, at least, Rona is very bossy and the Ravenclaw team kind of goes along with it. Why isn't there any real backtalk, especially from the male members?

That's all I could think of for the moment. :)

Edited by long_live_luna_bellatrix, 26 July 2010 - 12:57 PM.

2aj2r8l.gif

hpff / mta / set by patronus_charm

#3 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

I remember you! 8D

1. Where did you get your inspiration for Game?
I had only just found HPFF and tore through Match and Settling the Score, so you can kind of see where my influences lie. Plus, it was the summer, and I sort of needed a hobby to pass the time. I think I thought of a plot bunny while I was sleeping and then actually decided to act on it. Though I don't recall the original inspiration for the plot bunny, right now, I'm pretty much letting the characters write themselves. At its most basic form, it's a story about a girl dealing with falling in love for the first time. There's always stories about the Cold Ice Queen or the Quirky Bubbly Dork or the Stubborn Is My Only Trait Girl, so I decided to write one for girls like Rona: book smart, bossy, proud, willing to be manipulative, tries to do everything on her own, but ultimately scared of change and losing control.

2. You say you abandoned it two years ago, then came back to it. What happened to influence those decisions?
I probably abandoned it because I got busy. It was the middle of my junior year and I had 3 AP classes. I came back in June this year, not too long after Settling the Score started updating again (I had that on my RSS feed, hoping for updates, and huzzah, it was no longer chapter 16). That got me back into reading stuff on HPFF again. Then I reread my own fic and cringed at parts, but overall I thought, "Hey, this isn't so bad. I could rewrite this." However, I couldn't bring myself to actually continue, because then I would have to get to the end. I first made a banner for it (the animated one you see now) because I got the idea for it and it kept pestering me. And then finally after some mulling I put finger to keyboard, reedited my fic, and churned out chapter 7. I see myself finishing the fic as long as real life doesn't get in the way again.

3. Are you the sort of person that plans stories meticulously, wings it, or is somewhere in the middle?
In between. I'd give myself a stern glare if I didn't plan out a lot of it. While I have the major plot points down, I don't have many smaller events in place. For the smaller stuff, I think to myself, I need to convey this message, this emotion, this character development. There multiple ways to reach it. I could have this, this, or this happen. I even have different outcomes for the plot twists.

4. I noticed several witty parts of the first chapter, and a few puns as well (Davies and gentlemen...). Do those come easily or do you find yourself struggling to produce them?
They have to come to me, so I suppose it all depends. A lot of times, I end up thinking of something witty someone could say, but not having a place for it yet or it's for something that occurs later in the story. So I add it at the notes at the end of my word doc and see if I can accommodate it later. I actually think I was more clever two years ago (though consequentially, also cornier), as I was used to writing humorous Speech & Debate scripts. Right now, I just look at certain parts of the story and think, okay this needs some funny to break it up. I usually end up rewriting those parts quite a few times to make sure it's funny. So it's a bit of a struggle if I don't have anything come to me.

5. What's so appealing to you about taking cliches and un-cliche-ing them?
My TvTropes education, heh (wiki about tropes, pop culture, what not. You'll get lost in it for hours, I swear). But really, I think I'd also give myself a stern glare if I did anything too too standard. The story's influenced by love/hate relationship stories and the whole overall setup is fairly cliche, but I just couldn't bear the typical fare anymore (I made a post about it in Writer's Resources). Falling in love doesn't take five seconds and a heated kiss. It takes time, especially when the other person is someone the character initially dislikes. This is also why I made the difference between a crush and actual feelings distinct. A lot of fics pay too much attention to the character falling for a hot guy for his charm and looks, but I make sure that Rona is aware that her attraction is superficial. It's probably not so much as uncliching things as it is simply not including the cliched outcome--I joke that my story has a lot of what I call "near-kiss" moments, in which had I allowed my characters to have their stares linger a little longer, they would've started snogging on the spot.

6. In the first chapter, at least, Rona is very bossy and the Ravenclaw team kind of goes along with it. Why isn't there any real backtalk, especially from the male members?
This is influenced by how my friends and I interact. After knowing each other for a few years, we've all sort of accepted each others faults and we make fun of them all the time. (I like to call it the six month mark. Initial impressions are great, but six months later the crazy comes out). I would think their attitude is more like "Oh, she's just being her again." Rona really only is extra bossy with people she knows would be okay with it, which consequentially is most of the people you see in the story (I would imagine her to be quite nice to Cho). She just has a short temper on stupidity (but she's learned to deal with that too). Bossiness is a flaw, but also a very useful trait to have. Amongst my friends, we're all thankful our extra bossy friend is there, or else we would never get anything done.

Ohohoho, these were fun questions :D

#4 Margravine

Margravine

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:16 AM

Hola!
I stalked you over to the tda (look, if you link it, you're fair game) and I am EXCITED about this new story with the tagline "I think we broke Hogwarts". Tell me more?

Umm. Intelligent questions...

*silence*

1. tea or coffee?

2. how often do you write?

3. One true pairing, if any?

4. Three favourite fanfics of all time?

5. Puns: love or hate?

#5 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:27 PM

Yay questions!

1. tea or coffee?
Chinese, so I drink tea like water. Never tried the English stuff, though. Coffee, while I love the smell, I just don't like the taste. It's either too bitter or, once I cram enough sugary creamy stuff, too heavy! Alas, we were not meant to be.

2. how often do you write?
More often when I procrastinate is what I would say. I had an essay due yesterday. Yeaaah instead, I wrote another 500 words for Game. *cough* Sometimes when I get a really good idea, just like when I draw, I MUST DROP EVERYTHING AND WRITE. I remember when I wrote Unraveling, I wrote it over the course of only two days, which is really really fast for me. I was hit with sudden high school nostalgia (with college looming) and I felt that need to tell my story, because I realized that no one knew that side of me except me and the real-life Scorpius, and I wanted to just tell someone.

I've found that since I began writing again this summer, my writing speed's increased quite a bit. I tend not to write more than a couple hundred words every few days though, unless I really buckle down to finish a chapter. Then I rush to write it and I'm only mostly finished when I bug my friend to beta it right as she's about to go to sleep and she's like D;

3. One true pairing, if any?
HP was never really my shipping fandom. I always thought Ron/Hermione and Lupin/Tonks were cute in canon, but not much more than that. It's funny because I literally ship anything that moves. I've watched stuff where characters have met each other for two minutes and I already ship them and my friends give me a side eye. A very long side eye. My OTP of all fandoms would probably be Katara/Zuko from Avatar: the Last Airbender. Those were some intense days back when the show was still going. Still holding the torch, darn it!

4. Three favourite fanfics of all time?
I feel like I won't be able to answer this adequately because I've lost the patience I used to have for reading long fics that I would otherwise read. So many of them aren't completed ;^; (I read a bit of The Shoebox Project and it was so brilliant BUT IT'S SO LONG AND NEVER WILL BE COMPLETED and I don't know if I can bear it). When it comes to chaptered fics, I pretty much only read humor, though I read most anything as a one-shot if it sounds interesting. I don't really have all-time favorites; they're likely to be heavily influenced by whichever fic I happened to have read recently.

But I will start with an oldie. I'll say Match. by mental even though everyone says it, because I don't have it saved on my hard drive for nothing (I saved an archived version of it when I found out it's no longer on this site.). I really love third person PoV humor fics (thank you for contributing to that category by the way :D). The characters all remind me of people I know and the guys sound like genuine guys.

And then there's Starving Artists (15+) by peppersweet/ahoythere, which is the most recent fic in my memory that kept me laughing every chapter. It encapsulates my love of bitter people and making fun of the artsy fartsy. That's another fic where everyone reminds me of my friends. I see a trend here.

And errrr, is it cheating if I say a lot of oneshots? 8DDD If you look into my favorites, I clearly have a love of oneshots. And that's not even counting the oneshots I always forget to fav after reading. Youuuurs. I love youuuurs. Y'all with your metaphors and ways with words. *jealous*

Most of the fic I read is actually in other fandoms and on livejournal. One of my favs that I can remember at the top of my head is the Sheldon/Penny fic The Lucky Penny Tergiversate (M) and there's a bunch of awesome Inception fic but I don't recall any specific one.

I THINK I TOTALLY ANSWERED THIS QUESTION INCORRECTLY.

5. Puns: love or hate?

I love puns that I don't realize are puns until after I finish rolling on the floor laughing. But I've never really thought about it xD I think I'd chuckle at a lot of them and the really clever ones I'd send to all my friends and I'd wish was on a t-shirt or something silly like that.

What is it about answering questions about oneself that is so fun? Maybe it's just because I get to abuse my capslock. Yes. That does sound about right. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO ABUSE THIS FEATURE.

#6 purevelvet

purevelvet

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:12 AM

Hii! I've actually been around your stories these past few chapters but I use different penname there. So anyway, questions...

1. What or who inspired you when you created Rona?
2. Among the four houses, well three actually, what made you choose Ravenclaws for Rona?

I like Rona but I actually like your Roger even more. Can't wait to see what you're going to do with him after this :laugh:

sometimes, it's just not enough

Posted Image

#7 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:39 AM

Hallo!

1. What or who inspired you when you created Rona?

I don't recall my original inspiration, really. Before my edits, it was all a bit contrived, to be honest xD When I rewrote it though, I definitely had some stuff in mind for her. Rona's ultimately a character I made for myself. The kind of character I'd like, especially their flaws. Standoffish, allergic to apologies, emotionally dense, can't shut her mouth. Mostly that last one. And I wanted a character that didn't fall head over heels over something inane.

2. Among the four houses, well three actually, what made you choose Ravenclaws for Rona?
Heh, mostly due to the answer to question #1. I consider myself a brain (points to Ravenclaw badge)! I like smart characters. Pllus, I think Rona's too mean to be in Hufflepuff, too cowardly to be in Gryffindor, and I don't think her type of pride fits in with those in Slytherin.

Wow! I never knew anyone who liked Roger even more xD I really feel bad at how he gets beat up in reviews; he's doing what he thinks is right! Roger and Rona are actually a lot alike, both immensely stubborn, bossy, and have explosive tempers. Game just happens to be in Rona's PoV. I think if someone were to ask me who's responsible for the central conflict in Game, I really wouldn't know! But certainly not just Roger's. Don't avail, he will get his day of sympathy, too!

#8 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:31 AM

Ah! Hullo! :D I LOVE STALKERS. They are my brethren. Er, sisteren? And I love all reviews, long and short, capslocked or not ;D

I get dramatic music along with my questions? Spiffin'!

Is Rona modeled after you? And if she is then you and I would get along great because I think Rona is hilarious.
Kiiiiind of? xD She's got most of my flaws. Paranoid, selfish, doesn't think before she speaks. I'm also quite stubborn and obsessive (I have a fangirl personality. It's the reason for the constant capslocking). I'm quite bossy too, I think, but less take-charge. And I think it's easier to talk to guys than girls in general because my interests tend to lean toward the male-oriented ones. But to say she's like me doesn't feel quite right, either. Probably because I'm much too bubbly. And I'm nicer (I think). And I'm a little less people-fail than I used to be. I'm a bubbly, nicer Rona. Of course, it would've been very likely that I'd turned out to be very much like Rona (the possibility was there), if I worked on my cynicism instead of my bubbliness during high school, but that's not how it went.

Sadly, I am not as witty in real life. All I have are my capslock and my saying things when I'm not supposed to. But I'm sure we'd get along

Where did you get the personalities for Rona's quidditch team? They're brilliant! I love most of the boys (I'm not that big of a fan of Roger however I do love the pun Davis and gentlemen)
The boys aren't based on anyone in particular, but I do love to write all of them so endearingly, even the very minor ones. I know I focus most of my attention to Roger, Jeremy, and Jason, but I like to give each a bit extra to their personality as few lines as they get. Randolph and his desire to show off but hasn't got the backbone to defy Rona. Grant and Duncan, the fourth-years who spectate the seventh-years' drama with popcorn and bets in hand.

A lot of my characters started as a set role (Jason as comic relief, Jeremy as the best guy friend, Roger as the unreasonable antagonist), but I flesh them out and always keep in mind why they do what they do. Jason might seem just funny at first glance, but he's got a lot of heart. He really cares about keeping the team together like a family (which is also why I thought he made the most sense to take over as captain the next year, because I think he'd do brilliantly :D).

Jeremy, I actually haven't got to explaining most of him yet. He shows up a lot more in the sequel. I really wanted to write a guy friend whom the main character just had ABSOLUTELY NO ROMANTIC PROBLEMS WITH (I ended up with one Rona/Jeremy shipper, but I swear, I wrote them without chemistry!). FUNNY STORY, I was talking to my beta friend about Jeremy and wondering who I based him off of, and I said, "Huh, everyone likes him and he's sensible and friendly but he kind of fails whenever anything romantic enters his life OH MY GOD HE'S YOU." (she's a girl, though).

Roger, I really wanted an antagonist that one couldn't entirely blame. (I mean, it's questionable whether Rona should have told the truth to her team or waited it out until after the match. It's a huge grey area and I'm surprised not more people argue about what was the right thing to do). I know almost everyone hates Roger, but he is very devoted to his team and he has his reasons for what he does. He made decisions that were harsh and emotionally charged and probably unreasonable, but he does come around. But I hope people do see that he's in a very tough spot as captain and he has to do what he thinks is right and sometimes it's the wrong way to go about things. But Oliver was acting very suspicious most of the time; even many readers were fooled!

What kind of music do you like?
I looooove my 'hipster indie music' as my beta friend likes to call it. My favorites are probably Regina Spektor, fun., The Format. Happy hand clap songs are a weak spot for me. I've got a lot of those 'happy songs with depressing lyrics' kind of songs. I also listen to a lot of K-pop (my favorites are Brown Eyed Girls and 2NE1, and a special place for the jazzy Winterplay), because dance-y songs for me are a lot better when I can't understand the words. I also just prefer Korean R&B songs over English ones.

Wicked \o/ I need to see that.

What are your favorite authors? What kind of books do you normally read?
Robin McKinley and Terry Pratchett. I grew up reading fantasy novels and my favorites were always fairy tale adaptations. Robin McKinley does a lot of those and I love her original books too. I put up a thread in the Rec a Book forum for her that fully explains my spazz. And Terry Pratchett and his Discworld! I haven't got around to reading much yet, though I know much about its world. I read his Tiffany Aching books way back when, and I just love the witches. So SENSIBLE! Sadly, I haven't read much except fan fic recently ;A; But I've got some books for Christmas so I better get to them!

To reply to your statements! I wasn't aware Penny's a snob in most fan fic (I haven't seen her much in fic at all, actually)! I imagined Percy to be a bit whipped from her, actually xD Although I also imagine them to sit upon their high prefect throne, sipping tea and looking at all the lowly subjects. That too. And I can totally see the possibility of Penelope/Oliver. If I hadn't written Game, I would've totally written one. But I work on one personal canon, so that can't happen anymore xD

That signature totally brought me back into graphics making. Ah woe to my free time ;)

Thanks for all the questions, fellow Ravenclaw! :D

#9 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:25 AM

Have you ever heard of MGMT, Metric, Arcade Fire or Interpol? And if you have what's your favorite song out of all of them?

I confess I'm a bit biased toward popp-ier, female singers. Hush Sound, Jaymay, Kimya Dawson. Most of the songs I have is stuff shoved to me by Pandora way back when xD I don't really go looking for music most of the time; usually friends send me stuff to listen to.

Since you like fantasy novels have you ever read the book titled Inkheart? I absolutely love that book even though it's a bit young for me same goes for Bunnicula (if you haven't read it then go read it) I actually have two characters from my story based on Chester and Harold.

I tried the book at the end of my read-everything-in-the-library phase, never really got into it. I never really found a modern fantasy I liked except Robin McKinley's Sunshine. I read Bunnicula (or rather, it was read to me in class during elementary school I recall)

That inspires another question! What were your favorite childhood books? I was always a Charlotte's Web fan in fact I still cry over the ending (but people aren't supposed to know that) WHY CHARLOTTE WHY?

I remember reading a lot of Junie B. Jones (some find her annoying, but best puns. Ever.) and Roald Dahl (always brilliant). I read Charlotte's Web but it's been a LOOOOONG time, and I think I was too young to really understand what happened at the end. Later when I got into my fantasy phase, I really liked Gail Carlson Levine's books (Ella Enchanted, Two Sisters of Bamarre) and The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede.

What kind of movies do you watch? Are you an action person or do you prefer romantic comedies or both?

I'm pretty picky with movies though not along any genre lines. I love anything that makes me laugh, but this can range from anything from When Harry Met Sally (which is my favorite movie, along with The Shop Around the Corner) to Tangled to Amelie to True Lies. I went through a phase where everything I watched was from TCM (classic movies only, basically). I love old rom coms more than anything because they seem to take themselves less seriously and a bunch of them were musicals. Top Hat! Sabrina! Gigi! And I've seen and loved almost all of Hayao Miyazaki's films, especially Porco Rosso. The animation is charming and the storylines are all so fresh!

If you watch TV what shows do you watch and in particular do you watch either Seinfeld or Friends?

I don't really watch TV anymore because American television has this thing where the goal is to make money and it usually involves dragging out series way longer than they should go. But! I have indeed watched most of Friends, being the sitcom my sister watched while I grew up, and I have a friend who knows all 10 seasons by heart (not exaggerating. Give her an episode title, she can transcribe it for you). I used to watch How I Met Your Mother and House but I got kind of tired of both of them. The last completed series I watched was Avatar: The Last Airbender, which was AWESOME except for the ending. Grr. I'm watching through Castle right now, because Nathan Fillion is adorable.

What type of fan fics do you prefer? And do have any advice for a rookie (me).

I prefer completed fics, hah! But really, I'm not too picky once I get to actually reading something. I just generally don't click on anything that isn't humor in my spare time, but I really am up for anything when an author I love or a friend has a new fic out, though I generally stick to shorter stories. Novels have become super intimidating for me to read. I love a good crack-y humor fic.

Ahhh advice? I'm not sure I'm qualified to give advice xD But I suppose it's to not be afraid to ask for harsh critique and to listen to the reviewers, because that helped me a lot in understanding where I was lacking. And always understand the reasons behind what your characters do. The thing that annoys me about a lot of fics is when the characters completely overreact or are stupendously stupid for the sake of plot. Keeping things realistic is key. And remember, improvement is a process! My writing now and my writing six months ago cannot be more different. And that's partly because since then I've written 60,000 words of fic! Game has been gone over completely for edits four or five times since then. It's a lot of work!

Now about the sequel! (I almost spelled squeal) What is planned? You do realize that Penny (if you have her in the sequel) doesn't marry Percy and instead Percy marries a girl named Audrey. Can I get a spoiler down here (or three or four....you know what just PM me the whole thing)

SQUEAL, hah! Well, I was going to write this in my authors note, but I suppose I'll give a bit of spoilers. I do know that Penny doesn't marry Percy ;) and yes, I will be working with that in mind. The sequel is set in the summer and basically entails Rona, Oliver, and Jeremy working toward their respective career paths, which I won't mention as of yet, but lets just say the big leagues are a lot tougher than Rona thought. There will be a whole host of new OCs, but don't fear; Rona will be meeting them for the first time as well. Won't be terribly confusing, at least the way I've got it imagined in my mind.

Naaah every character is different, even if it takes inspiration from something else. I mean, as long as you aren't like quoting Jeremy, then your character isn't Jeremy! There's lots of fun male friends floating around.

Hehehe, goodbye again!

#10 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

I totally stalk HPFF for stuff xD THE QUESTIONS, TIS NO PROBLEM, I like talking about myself; it makes me feel important.

1. Cats or dogs? Now take your answer and ask yourself ___ vs Guinea pigs?
CATS ALL THE WAY, no dogs or guinea pigs can stand in the way of that. As adorable as dogs are, I wouldn't want to take care of one. Cats have this lovely thing going on where they think they're smarter than humans (I wouldn't be surprised if it were true) and they're also brilliantly manipulative and diabolical. A creature that wants to take over the world! I mean, that's totally for me right there.

2. So you're a Gail Carson Levine fan (same here!) how did you think Anne Hathway did when she played Ella in Ella Enchanted?
I never watched the movie, to be honest (I heard it wasn't anything special), but I do love Anne Hathaway. She looks the part, at least.

3. Favorite Friends female character? Now favorite Friends male character? Now out of those two who is your favorite?
Probably the duo of Monica and Chandler. They're both so quirky in a lovable sort of way (fried chicken!), especially Chandler (who is my favorite character). I mean, how can you not love that man? A job no one can explain? Shark attacks? Singing Tomorrow in a manly voice? Joy!

4. Favorite newspaper comic? (The preferred answer is Pearls Before Swine)
Hasn't been in print in ages, but my favorite comic has always been Calvin & Hobbes. I've read through every single comic and even acted out a short play thing from it in elementary. It's funny, smart, sweet and makes you think. Plus there's dinosaurs.

Jeremy/Penny, hah that is awkward, but can't say I haven't imagined the possibility before. But I do love throwing characters into awkward situations. I have a few things in mind for their respective love lives, but not full plans yet.

But I write on the computer! So ... I get on the computer and write? 8D

#11 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

First off how are you?
I'm quite good! :D Went on a bit of a graphics spree yesterday. Got an awesome Secret Santa gift. Heating lamp next to me. Lazy day.

Second no that wasn't one of the questions I will be asking you they aren't that easy.
Aw. (just kidding, I'm excited!)

1. Have you read any of Gregory Maguire books? (Wicked, confessions or an ugly stepsister, son of a witch etc)
Nah, back when I wanted to read them (I heard it was good and really fancied the cover to boot), my library didn't stock them because it was undergoing renovations. And when it did stock it, I was too busy piled under APs to care, so that's how it all sort of went. I'm really bad with my reading haha!

2.Do you play sports (this includes swimming)? And if you do what kind of sports?
Oh Merlin no. I'm hand-anything coordination impaired. I have no upper body strength. Not to mention: balance and I, not buddies. I can't ride a bike. I tried ice skating to utter failure. I can run. That's pretty much all I can do.

3. Do you plan on writing professionally? Or do you prefer graphics?
Writing was never that big of a hobby for me, actually. I used to write my own (awful) original fantasy fiction way back when, think when I was 10-12 or so. But I'm not like those people who always scribble down plot bunnies. And one professional writer in the family is enough :p (My sister does the article circuit while completely fails at anything fiction. I'm the vice versa of that).

I'm actually a computer science major (wow, as far from writing and graphics as possible). So something in that will probably be my career of choice until further notice. I do want to sell my designs as a bit a side job, but I'm soooo procrastinating on getting that up and running.

4. Have you read any Stephen King (he sort of writes fantasy that's why I'm asking) or Dean Koontz (ditto) or J.R. Tolkien (again ditto).
I have read Lord of the Rings, because my mom wouldn't let me go watch without reading it first. I have no recollection of it beyond what happens in the movie and vague images of the Mines of Moria. I really don't have a lot of breadth in my reading xD After tearing through the YA section when I was younger until there were no books for me to read, I kind of stopped.

I imperio you to send me the final chapter of Game so I can tell everyone that I read it and they can't see it until it comes out! (no seriously your imperioed......you have to do what I want)
Hehehe, you are not wrenching it from me that easily ;) I did a silent counter.

I have a very small request.....(I'm also wondering how to word this without sounding like a GIANT jerkoff) wouldyoumindcheckingoutmystoryyoudon'thavetoreviewjusttellmewhatyouthinkwhenyouanswerthesequestions?
I'll leave you a little review, but tsk tsk! No more begging for this kind of thing ;)

Now it's time for Calvin and Hobbes!
YAY, oh this makes me sad for our economy. Ah Calvin, always so relevant.

#12 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

Oh never. I see you stalking me out there. *waves, throws candy*

All you'll get are half-done notes because I've been making chapter images instead of properly writing out the epilogue I swear I'll do it tomorrow.

My holidays were lovely! I was very productive with my graphics making annnd I got to read lovely fluffy fic and gave capslock reviews and got a bunch of reviews and I got a huuuuge dinner. And today I went out with my friends for fancy dinner and karaoke, and now I can't feel my throat.

Favorite movies?
Did you ask this already? I think you asked this already. My default answer to that is When Harry Met Sally and/or The Shop Around the Corner because it's such a common question, and rather than standing there and thinking for a really long time for what is really my favorite movie, I just name that because I really like it and I've seen it twelve times. Ocean 11 and Porco Rosso are also up there. I base it on rewatchability really. Like I could never rewatch Vertigo or The Brothers Bloom but I looove those films too.

Besides Oliver/Oc which pairing is your favorite?
I never really had any favorite pairings in Harry Potter fandom. I was never terribly invested in shipping any of the characters in the story. I've found fics for almost every kind of pairing that I like, even stuff I wouldn't normally read like Harry/Draco (granted, this was crack fic) or really obscure stuff like Nott/Luna.

I've noticed though, that I will always appreciate a good after-death Snape/Lily (I've only read not-reciprocated so far because that's all I've found). I'm very intrigued by the idea of Draco/Luna but I haven't found a fic I've really liked yet. Friendship Sirius/Remus is the most awesome comedic duo in my eyes. I'm also interested in Percy and Charlie's romantic life, though I haven't really found fics for either yet (they're on my list though).

You said you are a computer science major can you tell me more about that?
Ahh, well I was semi-undecided going into college, but my first comp sci class was pretty fun and I aced it, so I'm gonna try that route for now. I'm pretty nerdy and logically minded, so it seemed to fit me. I know I'd never do any liberal arts, but that I'm also not interested in practicing most sciences either, even though I'd enjoy learning about them. Computer sci is pretty much the only field I'm interested in actually having a job in. And I love learning new stuff and it's pretty much all new to me.

Favorite Actor/actress?

Bah, I don't get asked this question much so I don't have an answer for it. I like staring at Joseph Gordon Levitt, if that counts. That man can do no wrong!

I do read Pearls and Swine when I pick up the newspaper! But nothing is quite the same as my love for Calvin and Hobbes, ever.

Until you stalk me again~

#13 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

There aren't really much canon pairings (Remus/Tonks probably is the most interesting) and the ones there are just don't really have fic that appeal to me. The trick to Draco/anyone pairings is, of course, to keep him in character, which the glut of fics do not do properly. One does not get rid of his selfish ferretness. But I also don't really read dark fic, which the majority of good selfish Draco fics are, so you see my problem with finding fics to read that fit my criteria.

Joseph Gordon Levitt *swoons* yes he is incredibly hot. Did you see him in the movie Ten Things I Hate About You? I love that movie. Kat is my icon.
I did see that movie! Though it's been awhile. But Heath Ledger stole the show, what with singing across the bleachers.

You like your capslock don't you?
WHY OF COURSE I LIKE CAPSLOCK.

I'm pretty sure that we Americans won the snowball fight I brought snowmen minions one of which is delivering you cookies.
SNICKERDOODLES?

Now how do you make your graphics and what style do you prefer?
I use Photoshop CS5. I tend to use bright, bold coloring; thick, clean fonts; paint textures. Currently obsessed with white outlines. I'm not a flowers and clocks person. Irrelevant stock sometimes bothers me. I also love animating! It's easier for me sometimes than to make a non-animated graphic :p

Alright what cliches do you like and what cliches are flat out bad?
I don't really call these cliches as much as tropes. I mean, there's always a way to use it right and use it wrong. I like the love/hate relationship. But I like it subtle most of the time, not in-your-face. The constant denial is what irks me sometimes because it goes on for too long. I also like the friend, omg how have I never noticed I liked him/her before? I don't like it when the friends are these cheesy buddies though. That makes me gag. I don't like tropes that are there without reason or for a pithy reason, like a love/hate relationship that's based on silly exaggerations.

What fics would you recommend?
I've got quite the variety in my favorites, let me scroll through.

Shot in the Dark (M) by Alopex. I read this for the snowball fight. My canon Creevey. Reads like it's straight out of the book. I like all of Alopex's oneshot's really.

Game, Set Match (M) by Margravine. I always appreciate a good medieval-y kind of tale, and this one is just sooo original. I've always remembered it. It captures romance so subtly and it's got that feisty heroine type of thing I love.

After Hours (M) by Llyralen. This is like my perfect rom-com in fic form. And plus it has a man named Gorgeous.

Napoleon's Complex (12+) by GubraithianFire. This one makes one rethink romance. I am super biased toward this fic because it's like something that happened in my life, and I totally projected onto the characters and stuff.

In Which There is No You or I (M)
by Ellerina. My canon Hestia! Do you see this trend of my love of minor characters? I don't typically read angst, but I liked this muchly. She's got a way with words.

Starving Artists (15+)
by peppersweet. I recc'd this before. I will recc it again. HILARIOUS. JUST I DONT EVEN. I LOVE IT IN CAPSLOCK.

How do you feel about the humane society allowing Micheal Vick to have a dog? (I say that's disgusting after what he did!)
I think a second chance is good. There are very few monsters in the world, but plenty of people who make stupid decisions and don't realize the enormity of their actions and then come to regret them later but no one forgives. Having a dog can only help. It's his reminder of what he did, of what he needs to make up for. Plus, he's under a stricter eye now, so I doubt he can do much foul play.

Do you watch Jon Stewart?
Nope, although I've seen a few episodes. I don't have cable and my internet usually isn't good enough to stream it.

YAY COMICS. I totally remember that Calvin and Hobbes strip 8D

#14 justonemorefic

justonemorefic

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:59 AM

HULLO AGAIN STALKER.

Favorite Hp characters (after Oliver Wood)?
Sirius, Remus, and Snape. It's probably why I hate reading Marauder era fics actually; I prefer the serious canon version of them (except herp-derpy crack Sirius/Remus, of course).

If you were to read a fic from POV of a minor character (this includes next-gen) who would it be?
Hmm I dunno; I really don't know most of HP's minor characters until I actually start reading a fic with one of them in it. Astoria, probably. I like peppersweet's Astoria fics.

Can you show me what you think is the best graphic you've ever made?
My best graphic's probably this one, being all shiny and animated and whatnot:
Posted Image

(but I kind of also want to brag about these shiny bright chapter images I'm making for Game to replace all the ugly 5 minute ones I have up right now. This one's my favorite of the bunch)
Posted Image

Favorite next-gen characters? (this is a separate question then the one above).
I like James II when he's adorkable. I like writing Scorpius. The thing about next gen is that it can vary so much depending on whose world it is, so it's difficult to really say.

What kind of stuff do you do that you would be embarrassed to admit? (ie tv shows, books, weird habits)
I READ SPOILERS ALL THE TIME 8D The endings to movies, the last pages of books; I do it all the time. I don't do it for stuff I know I'll love/intend to watch/wanted to read for a long time. I also indulge in lots of horrid rom coms that I can predict from the first 15 minutes.

Which one-shot that you have written is your favorite?
Unraveling. The reviews I've got for it have been so lovely. I think that's why I like it so much; to know that people can relate to it, that it made people think about romances. Plus, it's based on real life experience and Rose's story is very much my own story, so it's always been very near and dear to me.

Would you read a crime fan fic?
Not in particular, unless it was sort of the kind like you see in a slick action movie. Doesn't take itself too seriously sort of thing. That's how I like my action/adventure anyhow.

Would you BETA? (more specifically would you BETA my next gen no I am not begging this is a valid (is that how you spell it) question)
Nah, I don't have the patience/commitment for it. I do stuff on a whim, really. Write, draw, review, all that. I could never do it on cue.

Hah! I've seen that image before and I remember that quote!

Edited by justonemorefic, 28 December 2010 - 04:59 AM.

#15 foundriapenguin

foundriapenguin

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 371 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:42 AM

HEY. I'M HERE TO STRIKE FEAR INTO YOUR HEART ASK YOU SOME QUESTIONS. :D

1) Where'd you get the idea of a Quidditch strategist? I'm pretty sure you're the original source of the idea, YOU CLEVER GIRL.
2) Your opinion on JGL's forehead wrinkles? Right now I'm too lazy to go inspect them.
3) Do you think Rona would ever get a pet one day?
4) HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF ANY COOL PUNS LATELY? 8D

I can't think of any more questions right now.... *yawn*
Congratulations on the red folder, btw! Or is it orange? ;)

jordan =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users