• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ciararose

ciararose

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 464 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:45 AM

Hello! I am ciararose, and welcome to my party.
A few basics about me and my writing:
-I ship Draco/Pansy with unending and unconditional passion.
-I love my characters, and their internal monologue. When I write internal struggle, I write hard.
-I started writing FF when I was fourteen. I disappeared for a few years but now I am back, and I hope the time off and aging has reflected in the maturity of my writing.

My newest story is called Motivation, it is a sixth year era Draco/Pansy that I am very excited about. For all you Satisfaction View readers, I have not given up, I promise!

Please ask me questions, give me comments, hurl a symbolic smiley bomb at my head, whatever you may do! I love to discuss stories :]

Posted Image
Whose side are you on?
Posted Image
icon by jkupc7@lj, blinky by pennyardelle

#2 Malvado

Malvado

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:57 AM

1. What makes you love Draco/Pansy so much?

2. Any other ships you like/enjoy writing?

set by justonemorefic--Go 'Claws!

Posted Image

W.W.W.W.W.

Good Night, Severus [12+]-Albus II

Turning Point [15+]- 2010 Collab. Entry, Theodore Nott

#3 EnnaBella

EnnaBella

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

1) If you could be any character in the HP movies, who would you play?
2) If you could ask JK Rowling one question, what would it be?
3) What do you like the best about HP?
(and just for kicks)
4) What's your favorite food?
enjoy Posted Image

Edited by EnnaBella, 04 July 2010 - 05:21 PM.

leslieeeeandbennnn_zps46025ef1.png

~beautiful signature&icon my Marzipan at TDA~

Stupid (15+)

Stuck (15+)

#4 ciararose

ciararose

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 464 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:31 AM

[/sup]

1. What makes you love Draco/Pansy so much?

2. Any other ships you like/enjoy writing?

1. Thank you for asking, I love to explain this one.
Draco/Pansy, for me, gives me a lot of freedom. I have two basic characters to work with as a frame, but I also have so much flexibility to play around with them. At the same time, however, it isn't too easy and boring, because in canon they are such antiheroic characters. And so working with Draco and Pansy, I love to try and answer the 'why's of their history. Why does Draco hate Harry so much? Why does Pansy act like such a cow? The balance between answering those questions and simultaneously creating a different, more lovable side to them automatically creates such complexity and makes them so interesting to write.
In particular, I love writing Pansy, because she gets such a bad rep from the books and from other fanfics. She is automatically made into this completely throw away, love to hate her character. And I wanted there to be more to her. So I thought about everything we know about Pansy- she is, for whatever reason, completely devoted to Draco. And then I inferred the things that no one ever thinks about, like, if she is so stupid and annoying, why would Draco put up with her? Why would Dumbledore make her a prefect? Why is she the leader of the Slytherin girls? Basically, in writing fanfics, I like to explore other perspectives- and Harry's is so obviously biased, when judging Pansy and Draco, that I find theirs the most interesting to write.

Also, just because I hate easy romance and I am the opposite of romantic myself. So if I'm going to write romance, I'm going to pick the most reluctant, complicated characters possible, and they are going to drag their heels the entire way.

2. I have written a few other ships in the past, but they were mostly just experimental. As of now, I am pretty canon- I like Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione. I could think about writing Harry/Ginny, but I absolutely cannot write Ron/Hermione, because, while I love them in canon, they are both so sweet and well intentioned that I find writing about their romance boring. Not to say that I haven't read some wonderful Ron/Hermione, I just can't really pull it off. As far as writing Harry/Ginny goes, I think I would have to have a really good, interesting plot to pull it off. I have experimented with some other Draco ships in the past but none I have enjoyed so much as Draco/Pansy, however, I have had serious thoughts about trying for some Draco/Astoria. My only concern would be I would have to be really careful that I didn't write Pansy characterization with a different name.
For reading, I have read some beautiful Lily/James, Draco/OC, and even some interesting Draco/Ginny. I really like a lot of things; Harry/Hermione and Draco/Hermione don't particularly interest me because the one I find too strange and the other too often cliche. But I would be open to suggestions to prove me wrong.

1) If you could be any character in the HP movies, who would you play?
2) If you could ask JK Rowling one question, what would it be?
3) What do you like the best about HP?
(and just for kicks)
4) What's your favorite food?
enjoy

1. If I could be any character... I would want to play either Luna, because she is so interesting, Ginny, because I would like to imagine I could be as cool as she is, or probably a Slytherin, because they're so interesting as a House. I think the associations with being cunning and ambitious lead to their being thought of as bad or sneaky, and some of them are, but at the same time, there would also be some really smart, interesting people in Slytherin.
2.If I could ask J.K. Rowling one question, I would ask her to tell me more about Astoria. I am more interested in the untold story than the ones we know :]
3. What I like best about HP is how versatile it is. The ideas in it are so universal that they can be related to anyone, and their are so many layers to the story that can be read or imagined that it keeps on being interesting long after you've read the books one hundred times each. Each book gets more complex; they really grow up with the characters. And they are so incredibly detailed and imaginative.
4. My favorite food is mashed potatoes. Silly, I know, but there is nothing I enjoy more that sitting down with a bowl of them. They never get old. With some cheese and sour cream. If I have a day where I have danced for four hours, and I'm exhausted and starving, I will willingly cancel out all my good exercise with mashed potatoes.

Thank you both so much for your questions, I love answering them! Please continue to chat away about anything you like.

[/sup]

Posted Image
Whose side are you on?
Posted Image

#5 lia

lia

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:25 PM

Hi Ciara :)

I know we talked quite a bit about Motivation via the reviews + review responses but I wanted to know what made you write that particular story to begin with? And how you found the time to finish it so quickly and start three more stories? (Persuasion, The Garden and Valentine).

For The Garden, especially; you've ventured out of your comfort zone for this one, so how do you feel about it? What made you decide to use this sort of style and use these characters?

Lia

Edited by lia, 27 December 2010 - 09:26 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
author's page [12+]

icons by sanskyicons @ lj

#6 ciararose

ciararose

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:54 PM

Hello dear! I just saw this on the "Recent Posts" and got really excited... anyway.

What really made me write Motivation was that I hadn't written fanfiction for several years. When I was writing Sinners, I was fifteen. And I felt like there were so many things about Sinners that I wish I had done differently, because I still really like the original idea of it. So I decided to write something and the first thing that came to my head was a Draco/Pansy. I see myself a lot in the way I characterize Pansy and so it was a very natural thing for me to start writing again with her. As far as how the plot came about, it started with wanting to write a Hogwarts era, and I really wanted to avoid what I did with Sinners, which was sort of make the plot up as I went along, so I just sat down and said "Okay. I have these two characters. The romance writes itself. What is going to happen in this story?" After I established the idea of messing with Pansy a little, the real theme of the story- which is how people become motivated to do the things they do, what prompts their actions and decisions- just sort of evolved. Everyone loves to hate Pansy and I love to write her because her motivations are so vastly ignored.

The way I found time to finish it quickly is I made sure I wrote a LOT before I started posting. I didn't want to be in the position of trying to write in time for an update. I wrote out a brief outline of the story beforehand- each major point I wanted to hit- and then just started writing my way into them. I'll readily admit I did not stick to my outline, I changed it at least twice because something came to me that seemed more natural or made more sense.

Oh, The Garden. I really have to say I am absurdly excited about this story. I am on Scene Six right now. Anyway. The idea for the story came to me about the time I was beginning Persuasion but it remained really undeveloped for a long time. I just had this thought that it would be really interesting to write a story in the style of an old crime drama- you know, very dramatic, dark, romantic in it's own right. I love old Film Noir style movies, and I've seen several examples of newer films that have referenced the style and pulled it off beautifully. When I started really seriously thinking about how I was going to do this, the main thing I wanted to focus on was the characters. The characters really make these stories what they are; they are the most recognized element: the morally ambiguous protagonist, the quick-witted supporting characters, and of course, the dangerously beautiful femme fatale. Once I got there I ended up back at Pansy, of course. The beautiful thing about these female characters is that they're not always the most beautiful women in the room- it's their sharp wit, their attitude that makes them so appealing. And that just couldn't fit anyone else. Besides, they have to be a little bad. Pansy is a little bad.

Pansy brought me to Draco. I wanted to use characters that have very established personas in the books. Blaise might have worked, any minor character, but Draco stuck with me because he has shown examples before of being a bad guy with goodness in him. Turning him into a good guy with badness in him was just a matter of making him a little older and a little wiser, which I think is believable. The main things about a leading man in this style is that they're cynical, they're smart, they do good things and they do bad things and they do them for their own reasons. They always have a code of honor that they follow according to their own experiences and they're very often men of war. Draco was a man of war. He's seen things that have given him this very dark point of view.

When you read more of the story, which I hope you will once I am able to post it, you will be able to see, I think, why these two work so well. It's their interaction which makes them such vivid characters, it's that sort of dark romance, twisted relationship- love without trust, love with secrets and ulterior motives.

Writing something that is very much new to me has been surprisingly easy. The main challenge is that I am using a genre that is mainly evident in film, and I am using it in writing. So I'm trying to capture this very dramatic, specific atmosphere in words and that can be challenging. But it is also enormous fun. I get to do things in this story that would seem ridiculous in others, really dramatic, intense metaphors and over-the-top dialogue. I think you'll have a lot of fun reading it.

Thanks for your questions! I wrote you a novel, I'm sorry, but you can probably tell from my stories I'm kind of long winded.

Posted Image
Whose side are you on?
Posted Image

#7 lia

lia

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

Hey, it's me again!

First to address what you mentioned above:

The main things about a leading man in this style is that they're cynical, they're smart, they do good things and they do bad things and they do them for their own reasons. They always have a code of honor that they follow according to their own experiences and they're very often men of war. Draco was a man of war. He's seen things that have given him this very dark point of view.

As you update, I'm beginning to see that more and more. From Harry's point of view, we never really get to see the true Draco Malfoy, though from HBP, I got a bit of it.

Now to why I'm here, I just read Mania and decided to pop over here with a question (or two), I really hope you don't mind. Why Bellatrix/Rodolphus? How did you come up with the plot for that story? Granted, a plot like that couldn't work with everyone...maybe Dramione or even Tom/Minerva.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
author's page [12+]

icons by sanskyicons @ lj

#8 ciararose

ciararose

Third Year

• Prefect
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

Believe me, I don't mind in the least, I am excited!

Well, Mania was something I did think a lot about before writing. Believe me, the choice of pairing, in this instance, was not automatic. But I knew I needed to have characters that were so vivid, and so intense, that I could get them across in just five hundred words. Five hundred words is really not a lot to grip a reader with, and I wanted to use a scenario that was gripping on its own, that didn't need the extra words to make it so.

That's where I came up with Bella. I really love to write very complex, many-layered characters, but 500 words is simply not enough, for me personally, to do that. I am very wordy. And the idea of taking something as complex and convoluted as Bella/Rodolphus and making it simple just appealed to me instantly. Mania is not about the intricacies of romance. Mania is about characters who have no motivation besides their own desires. It was not a story where I wanted to redeem the characters. Bella and Rodolphus, in Mania, just want to watch the world burn. They are, in the purest sense, just bad.

To be honest, the first time I wrote it, there really was no plot. It was just introspection. But I decided I wanted to have them actually doing something, and so I chose Bella's marking because it is a pretty common scene in DE fics. But the point of the Marking was not her transition into madness. The point, for Mania, was that she was already gone. The Mark did not corrupt her.

As far as the romance goes, and that is a loose term in this instance, I just wanted to show something different. Bella/Rodolphus is usually shown as either a marriage of convenience, or else they were married and then Bella went crazy and poor Roddie just sat nearby and watched. Romance is usually used as a redeeming factor in stories. Look, they're evil, but they love one another. So for Mania, I wanted neither. They are, very simply, destructive. Their relationship is destructive. They have destructive personalities and destructive minds. They are perfect for one another in a very disturbing sense.

I hope that sort of answers your question! It takes a lot of words for me to explain my twisted ideas about fics. Thanks love!

Posted Image
Whose side are you on?
Posted Image

#9 SoSoBored

SoSoBored

New student

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:46 AM

I just wanted to say that I love all of your stories, especially your Draco/Pansy. You write some of the best ones that I have read! I also wanted to ask about Satisfaction View, I was re-reading through all of your Draco/Pansy stories today and I couldn't happen to find it...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users