• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 FyreSkye

FyreSkye

New student

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:45 AM

So, I've looked around a bit and I do not believe this has been discussed before (and if it has, feel free to point me in the right direction).

I am curious what extracurricular activities other people feel go on at Hogwarts. We all know about Quidditch, as that's what Harry was involved in, but he's woefully unobservant so we are left to speculate what else could be occurring. There are, of course, some references to some clubs (such as Charms Club), but I'm certain there's more than that (though I'd love ideas for what goes on in Charms Club as well).

So, I'd like to hear what extracurricular activities could be going on at Hogwarts. It'd also be great if you fleshed out your opinion some and gave ideas as to what exactly they do during their meetings and whatnot.
Posted Image
Persephone and Lucy of the utensil variety on PW

#2 evilevie

evilevie

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

I'm exhausted so may not be good for ideas at the moment, but there's a Gobstones Club and I'm fairly certain there may be a Wizard Chess Club as well. Since we know there's a Charms Club, it only follows that there are probably clubs for other subjects as well - Herbology, Potions, Transfig, DADA (although that may be more duelling club), etc. The Hogwarts Choir is only in the movies, but with Dumbledore around, the idea of one actually existing is plausible.

I dunno, maybe there are clubs based on political involvement - you know, future Ministry officials organisation?

I'll check back here tomorrow to post more, can't think at the moment.

please oh please don't break my heart
Author Page (12+) ~[]~ The Secret Lives of Sinful Girls (M)

#3 alyosha

alyosha

Third Year

• Members..
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:45 AM

The footnotes in Beedle the Bard hints at the existence of a theatre group, but I don't recall the details enough to elaborate.

#4 Nar

Nar

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

The footnotes in Beedle the Bard hints at the existence of a theatre group, but I don't recall the details enough to elaborate.

The footnotes also implied that Hogwarts no longer had a drama club due to the chaos and maiming they got last time they had a play.

So a top-secret underground drama club.

Suddenly I'm tempted to write about Hogwarts' Secret Drama Club. They perform to an abstract audience and communicate with each other through elaborate codes of interpretive dance.

Edited by Nar, 10 January 2010 - 03:06 PM.

#5 civilized

civilized

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

Maybe an Exploding Snap club?

yoitskeisha made the pretty icon<3
:: Thomas Wood on PW ::

#6 LadyKyra

LadyKyra

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:18 AM

Well, at my high school, clubs based on subjects take part in activities focusing on that subject. For example, the Science and Mathematics Club works with biodiesel fuel and takes part in scientific-based competitions, the English Club reads and discusses books, the History Club goes to museums and historical reenactments, etc. It would be feasible to guess that the subject clubs at Hogwarts, such as the Charms Club, would operate in this way.

Though, as they are a boarding school they might be limited to in-school activities. Perhaps they practice more advanced theory and spellwork? If one was exceptional at a subject and wished to pursue that subject as a career, one might need that advanced training.

Also, in Chamber of Secrets, there was the Dueling Club. It might be feasible that such a club existed a point prior to or after the incident in the second book.

Suddenly I'm tempted to write about Hogwarts' Secret Drama Club. They perform to an abstract audience and communicate with each other through elaborate codes of interpretive dance.

Posted Image I just had the incredibly funny image of two people dancing about the Transfiguration classroom with McGonagall staring at them. Wouldn't that be hilarious?

Hope this helps!

Posted Image

W.W.W.W.W.Posted ImageW.W.W.W.W.

Absolutely gorgeous set by the_toffubeaver and fabulous blinkie by pennyardelle.

Please, call me Kyra.

YAHOO! JulNo Word Count: 50,133/50,000

#7 Nar

Nar

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

Oooh! D+D Club! They can have fun pretending to be wizards and fighting dragons and...oh yeah.

Maybe wizards play D+D pretending to be Jedi Knights. Or Muggles.

"The 'mugger' is advancing towards you at a rate of two feet per second. What do you do?"
"I'll use my 'mobile phone' to call the 'police'."
"Okay, roll to see if you have a signal. Harper, how about you?"
"I'm going to hit him with my cricket bat!"
"Eighteen, nineteen or twenty his head comes off. Roll."

#8 whacked

whacked

Fourth Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:12 AM

Hogwarts really does need a top-secret drama club ... even if it is only to confuse the teachers! haha, i woudl so join and interpretively dance aroudn teh corridors and classrooms.

But yeah, clubs based on subjects is for sure. I think there would be a gobstones club, and a political movement sort of club. I know some peopel have written about a school newspaper, but its rather far-fetched because where woudl they get the printing press? and why write about stuff when you can gossip?

ooh! maybe there's a gossip club! that woudl be hilarious. there woudl also probably be a book club or something, and i bet the slytherins woudl have had "the purebloods club", where they sit around and talk about how being a pureblood is oh-so-cool. and Malfoy woudl be chairperson!

#9 evilevie

evilevie

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:58 AM

and i bet the slytherins woudl have had "the purebloods club", where they sit around and talk about how being a pureblood is oh-so-cool. and Malfoy woudl be chairperson!

Depending on the era, I think something similar to this actually COULD have existed. Probably not recently, but in earlier 1900s or past centuries it seems plausible... Not "the pure-blood club" but maybe something Salazar Slytherin or Phineas Nigellus Black would have started, a Legacy's Organisation or something? You know, like the Daughters of the American Revolution or something in the USA. You can only be in the Legacy club if your family has gone to Hogwarts for at least...10 generations?

please oh please don't break my heart
Author Page (12+) ~[]~ The Secret Lives of Sinful Girls (M)

#10 LilyFire

LilyFire

Seventh Year

• Prefect
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

I would think that there are clubs to do with certian jobs, like maybe a newspaper or something? There could be fan clubs, or something along the lines of that. I'm not really sure, but I have always thought there has to be another sport besides Quidditch, but there might not be. I know at my school, if you want to start a club, all you have to do is have 5 people and a professor to start it.

sometimes, wounds heal. sometimes, it takes love.

remembermesigbyprospero.png

all links 12+||Stories|MTA|Non-Human Challenge||Set by prospero @ TDA

#11 angie123

angie123

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:19 PM

There could be a Quibbler club started by Luna herself. Ya never know.

Posted Image
Sig and avatar by me
Hpff l TDA

#12 RonNiffler

RonNiffler

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

I've always felt like they should have more sports for people who didn't like quidich. Maybe in future generations they added muggle sports....

Posted Image

Siggy and Avatar by: veneficus @ tda

Check Out My Stories! (M) , Meet the Author 12+

#13 angie123

angie123

First Year

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:09 AM

In the 5th book, they had Umbridge's club. But it was mostly Slytherins joining.

Posted Image
Sig and avatar by me
Hpff l TDA

#14 DA Jones

DA Jones

Second Year

• Prefect
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:47 AM

Could the Creevey's have started some sort of photography club? Would there be a muggle studies club (the latter could be a good way to work on using the character of the muggle studies professor that was murdered by Voldmort); that goes on field trips to muggle London to visit muggle museums and the like?

How come Hogwarts doesn't have any sort of student government, or perhaps the Prefects form sort of a government?

Could there be a divination club? Someone could have actually predicted something.

Could there be a Care of Magical Creatures Club?

A Remember Cedric Diggory club?

A Hogwarts history club?

How about fan clubs for the various music groups or performers mentioned in the series?

Perhaps the Harry's stalkers club had some sort of informal organization.

Is there some sort of card game associated with the Chocolate Frog Cards, like Pokemon, so that there is a club?

Is there a geneology club frequented by pure-bloods? A Future Aurors club?

I like the idea that someone suggested of a Quibbler club or a newspaper club. Perhaps Luna joined, but her stoties are always rejected for the Hogwarts paper because they are too much like Quibbler stories. The Quibbler club would have very few memebers, for some reason I always imagine the Quirke the Ravenclaw student as one of Luna's few friends, and I could see her in this club.

A cooking club? A Painter's club (how exactly are they created anyway).
DA Jones (pen name Ydnas Odell on the HPFF archive)

My Author Page
12+

My best one-shot: Wynter Is Cold 15+ ~ Winter was always my favorite season and Wynter my favorite girl.

#15 Kashea

Kashea

New student

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:37 AM

I thought student government was an American thing. So I guess you could say the prefect system is sort of an equivalent. It's just the professors choose them rather than some sort of election.

Was there a mention of a Gobstones club in any of the books or am I misremembering?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Sara Quinn, Melly Bloom & Eloise Davis on PW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users