208 replies to this topic

#1 Mistress

Mistress

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

Hi, I'm Mistress! I've been holding off on one of these for a while now because I wanted to get a couple of my better stories up before I began gathering feedback from people. I hope you all enjoyed them!

I'll tell you a bit about myself... I'm a college student majoring in Creative Writing and apart from Harry Potter I enjoy things like sketching, interior design, photography, shopping, and other random oddities like Gilmore Girls, House, waffles, hockey, and really warm days.

As of today I have nine stories posted to HPFF, some in progress and some finished. Usually I write Original Fiction (hence my major in college), but fanfiction helps me cool down from watching every little detail. I am currently working on a novel as well.

Well, fire away with the questions! I'd love to answer them for you!

#2 beyond

beyond

New student

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

Hi Mistress !

Nice to meet you too. And I answered your questions in my page . smile.gif

I have some for you too:

1. How did you first meet the Harry Potter series?
2. Which is your favourite book in HP series ?
3. What do you do when you get writer's block ?
4. You said you like sketching. I sketch too ! What do you mostly sketch? Girls, dresses, ... ... ?
5. What do you do at times when a lot of ideas for stories come into your mind all at once ?

Good luck with the novel you are working on! Can you please tell what it's about too?

Bye!

#3 Mistress

Mistress

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE(beyond @ Mar 25 2008, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. How did you first meet the Harry Potter series?
2. Which is your favourite book in HP series ?
3. What do you do when you get writer's block ?
4. You said you like sketching. I sketch too ! What do you mostly sketch? Girls, dresses, ... ... ?
5. What do you do at times when a lot of ideas for stories come into your mind all at once ?

Good luck with the novel you are working on! Can you please tell what it's about too?

Thanks! I'll be happy to answer!

1. I was in the 6th grade...years ago (to give you a time frame, I'm ending my sophomore year of college right now). The power went out in my cousin's house where I was staying and he told me to read the first book by candlelight. I had never picked it up before because I thought it was just one of those Narnia-esc things, but I ended up reading until four in the morning and I was hooked ever since.

2. Goblet of Fire is my favorite, hands down. I'm all about the twists in books and... well, no one saw Barty Crouch Jr coming. No one. It was a great book.

3. When I get writer's block I read a LOT. I try to attend readings on campus and just let words soak back in. After a few days of that I write through whatever I have to. Obviously it's not too good, but I always go back and delete it after my inspiration comes back. I just write through it.

4. I sketch a lot of still-life things. I took a lot of AP courses in art and I don't do the human form very well, but I did do one my senior year of nude people that turned out pretty good. It's mostly nature and set up objects. I paint and do a lot of impressionistic work as well.

5. When I get a bunch of ideas at once I grab a piece of paper (doesn't matter what is on it) and a pen and scribble it all down. If it's coming fast I usually abreviate words and write very fast in ridiculously horrible handwriting. It happens a lot. It's funny that you ask because it just happened to me in my geology lecture today for my Oliver/OC story. I have so many ideas for it.

Thank you for the questions!

#4 Herculeha

Herculeha

First Year

• Members Elite
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:29 AM

Oh my goodness, IT'S JANICE.

Do you remember little ol' Leah from the SFRP days? I hope so, because I definitely remember you.

It's been literally ages since I've talked to you, and I've recently come back to this site and was just sort of checking up on my old penname, when I stumbled across your account. And imagine my joy and surprise when I'd seen that there was a story you had updated quite recently. You can bet your bottom dollar (lame, whatever) that I'll be reviewing that one soon, and I'm sure I'll be adding it to my favorites, because, hello, you're an amazing writer.

But I've got a few overall questions so that I can sort of catch up on the Life of Janice through your writing.

1) How has your Creative Writing major helped you as far as far as fanfiction goes?

2) How do you go about developing OCs -- charts, maps, all up in your head, what?

3) What was your overall opinion of the Deathly Hallows?

4) Even in fanfiction, is there really any ship better than Fred/Mandy? Or Lee/Cho, for that matter?

~Leah

Hufflepuff '08. It's BASIC.

Sophie understands now why people her age don't like to wear watches. They're bulky, they bounce the sun into your eyes, and sometimes when you lose them and they fall into the wrong hands, you end up getting lost in a large, complicated, and very vague evil plot that threatens your favorite Bulgarian Quidditch player.

Call her a follower, but she's jumping on the no-watch-wearing bandwagon once she gets out of this mess.

Cheesy Nachos, Clingy Cat Suits, and Viktor Krum [15+] | Meet the Author | Fanfiction.net Author Page [12+]

#5 Mistress

Mistress

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE(Herculeha @ Jun 26 2008, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) How has your Creative Writing major helped you as far as far as fanfiction goes?

2) How do you go about developing OCs -- charts, maps, all up in your head, what?

3) What was your overall opinion of the Deathly Hallows?

4) Even in fanfiction, is there really any ship better than Fred/Mandy? Or Lee/Cho, for that matter?

~Leah

LEAH! Of course I remember you! How could I forget? I missssss you! Of course I'll answer your awesome questions.

1. I think my major has helped me in everything, but as far as fanfiction it has helped me the most with plot. Even though fanfiction plot is a lot lighter and less perfect than original fiction, it still can be perfected. It has just helped my writing altogether, which is obvious if you look at some of my older fics and then look at Keep Away, which I am writing right now on the side of my original fiction novel.

2. OCs are the most fun to make I think. I always start with an idea for a character--usually some sort of trait and I fill out a form from one of my books. I have a "See Jane Write" book that has really transformed my writing and there is a protagonist form in there for a character sketch. I really get inside my OC's heads. Sometimes, when my OCs get away from me, I have them write letters in their own POV and tell me what they want. It's hard, but once you get in their head, they get into yours. It's nice. Jane Perry from Keep Away was a character I developed for a very long time...and let's not even go into names. It takes an average of 5 hours for me to name any main character in a story. My love interest for my novel took me two weeks. My advice would be to know your character as well as you know your best friend. When you do, it'll just flow.

3. Deathly Hallows was great. I know a lot of people complained about a few elements, but I really looked into everything and felt there was a logical reason for every choice JKR made.

4. Haha, there is never a ship better than Fred/Mandy. They will live in the hearts of all...but seriously, Ron/Hermione is a big rival.

and I hope you decide to read my most recent story--I like it a lot. I've updated a few more that are completed too if you want to check those out smile.gif Keep in touch!

#6 frostedteardrops

frostedteardrops

First Year

• Members Elite
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:17 PM

Hello there! I believe I've left you a couple of reviews on Keep Away before, but now I've got some questions. smile.gif

How did you come up with the idea for Keep Away?
Is there a specific writing ritual that you have (e.g. listening to music, writing in a special place/at a specific time, etc.)?
In terms of writing, who are your biggest influcences/role models both in terms of original (like books) and fanfiction?

This isn't really a writing related question or anything, but it says that you're into photography in the first post. Me too! Artistic stuff, sort of experimenting with conceptual and macro stuff at moment. What about you?

~frostedteardrops

Webb's Wicked Wiles [M] (Sirius/OC)

A Summer Thing [15+] (Oliver/OC)

wilting. [15+](Lily/Snape)

Because she smiled [M] (Regulus/OC)

#7 Mistress

Mistress

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE(frostedteardrops @ Jul 10 2008, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello there! I believe I've left you a couple of reviews on Keep Away before, but now I've got some questions. smile.gif

How did you come up with the idea for Keep Away?
Is there a specific writing ritual that you have (e.g. listening to music, writing in a special place/at a specific time, etc.)?
In terms of writing, who are your biggest influcences/role models both in terms of original (like books) and fanfiction?

This isn't really a writing related question or anything, but it says that you're into photography in the first post. Me too! Artistic stuff, sort of experimenting with conceptual and macro stuff at moment. What about you?

~frostedteardrops

Thanks for the questions--I've seen your reviews and I want to say THANKS for reviewing. I love getting feedback on my work, whether positive or negative.

The idea for Keep Away came in several ways. I'm a big fan of Oliver/OC and I wanted to do my own take, but not be so follow-the-leader and have the OC be a part of the team already or have her be super amazing at Quidditch or whatnot. Some of the plot points are based off of different Roleplay moments in the Xanga Roleplay that I am the mod of and a lot of things just creep up on me. The OC is also based off of the main character in my original fiction so everything just kind of blended together smile.gif

I don't have a particular writing ritual that i do, I just have to be somewhere so I can focus. No television haha. I like music, but it's not a must. I love going to a coffee shop or a Panera and just popping open my laptop and writing. It's really peaceful. I always have to have something to drink...I guess that's kind of a ritual haha. Pop, flavored water, whatever (no coffee though).

As far as influences, I am a huge Jane Green fan. In her books (not sure if you're familiar with her or not) she writes about the protagonist. It's not about love or whatever, it's about the main character growing as a person and I admire that. another big influence is Anton Chekhov. He is a Russian writer and truly fantastic in every way. As for fanfiction, I am a huge fan of A Fountain Pen's work. Also, Maskedsiren and Lucawindmover's Sociology story.

I'm glad you're into photography too. I really love it. I like a lot of nature shots and taking photos of people that are candid. I take a LOT of photos so I can get a few amazing ones. I just got back from San Diego and ended up with about 1400 photos and I got about a hundred that were really breathtaking.

Thanks again for the reviews and feel free to ask any more questions if you're interested!

#8 siriuslyhockey

siriuslyhockey

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:33 PM

Ok. My first question is how do you keep your plot so freaking interesting and funny when you write?
Also how do you balance dialog with everything else in the story. Do you ever feel like your character's are talking too much, what do you do when that happens?

And the main reason I'm hear is to demand more of Keep Away NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! cause I love it! wub.gif

k thnx bai

#9 Mistress

Mistress

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE(siriuslyhockey @ Aug 15 2008, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok. My first question is how do you keep your plot so freaking interesting and funny when you write?
Also how do you balance dialog with everything else in the story. Do you ever feel like your character's are talking too much, what do you do when that happens?

And the main reason I'm hear is to demand more of Keep Away NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! cause I love it! wub.gif

k thnx bai

Haha, Kristina, you're the best thumbsup.gif

....I have no idea how I keep the plot like that actually. I just think up things and go...and then end up with really funny things along the way. So many things have been thought up only pages before they were written. Some things are right then. It's weird.

As for dialog, I have no idea. I've just always written dialog-heavy stories but for some reason no one has ever said anything about it being too heavy so I just sort of never toned it down. I think it balances well--the speech and the descriptions. I don't want the descriptions to take over either because at that point the reader gets so sucked in to what is going on that they either get slowed down by the description of someone's eyes narrowing or they skip it...and why the heck am I going to write it if it's going to be skipped, you know? smile.gif

You will have more Keep Away soon. I promise. The next chapter is already written but I refuse to update so quickly if it isn't perfect. Yet. But my Microsoft Word just freaked out on me so hopefully that is fixed tonight when my boyfriend comes to visit me because I can't get to Keep Away....or write any more sad.gif sad.gif

thanks for writing in this. It really makes my day.

#10 siriuslyhockey

siriuslyhockey

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:53 AM

Hey, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE your story. The pacing is awesome and your twists and turns are so not cliche, which is awesome!

So do you think you can tell me who Alicia is going to end up with???pleeeeaaaassse. You know you love me. Peer pressure peer pressure! smile.gif

#11 Mistress

Mistress

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:47 AM

Pfft. You'd love it if I told you, wouldn't you?

Well too bad.

Thanks for the peer pressure though. You'll just have to wait and find out.

#12 siriuslyhockey

siriuslyhockey

First Year

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:25 AM

Hola, I'm back again! So how is your other writing going...like on your novel, hehe, just harassing you smile.gif I'm just harrasing you because I know its going to be amazing once you start working on it because of keep away. Your writing has imporved like 100x since writing keep away, it's amazing.

Anyways you should post a chapter on thanksgiving just for me, plus i know where you live smile.gif not that i would do anything, acutally i could probably steal your comp from you while i am hanging out in your room and just read the chappie secretly while you were on RA duty or something...why didn't I think of that sooner.

Anyways I'm about to call you in a minute, from my navy colored phone...well i don't really have a navy colored phone but if it was blue i would call it navy just mess with wendells head. srsly what was that about?

Another question, have you thought of writing a sequel, cause i think that could work out interstingly! It would definitely make people love you for giving them more oliver/jane time. And if you do, Roger should definitely come back in the picture just to mess with Oliver. And Ellis too cause i love him !!! Maybe you should do like an Ellis one shot, that would be funny!

Anyway have a great thanksgiving and eat as much food as you can before you have to go back to school and eat the crap there. I'm bringing back as much food as will fit in my mini fridge!

#13 Mistress

Mistress

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(siriuslyhockey @ Nov 27 2008, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hola, I'm back again! So how is your other writing going...like on your novel, hehe, just harassing you smile.gif I'm just harrasing you because I know its going to be amazing once you start working on it because of keep away. Your writing has imporved like 100x since writing keep away, it's amazing.

Anyways you should post a chapter on thanksgiving just for me, plus i know where you live smile.gif not that i would do anything, acutally i could probably steal your comp from you while i am hanging out in your room and just read the chappie secretly while you were on RA duty or something...why didn't I think of that sooner.

Anyways I'm about to call you in a minute, from my navy colored phone...well i don't really have a navy colored phone but if it was blue i would call it navy just mess with wendells head. srsly what was that about?

Another question, have you thought of writing a sequel, cause i think that could work out interstingly! It would definitely make people love you for giving them more oliver/jane time. And if you do, Roger should definitely come back in the picture just to mess with Oliver. And Ellis too cause i love him !!! Maybe you should do like an Ellis one shot, that would be funny!

Anyway have a great thanksgiving and eat as much food as you can before you have to go back to school and eat the crap there. I'm bringing back as much food as will fit in my mini fridge!

You really could steal my comp while I was doing duty walks. But I would know. I have that sense, remember? I would just look at you and know. Then I'd ask you if you liked it and then probably kick you around a bit for reading it and not being surprised like everyone else...though you know the most about it because you let me play off of your ideas for my own ideas. Though I never told you about Alicia and Lee...I had you guessing for a while. It tortured you and for that I am sorry...haha, no I'm not.

And WHAT? Ellis one shot....or shall I say the thing that bothered one of my amazing reviewers: "BLOODY WHAT?!" heehee.

Anyway, I take incredible delight in saying that I just came up with yet another plot device for the very last chapter that you have no knowledge of whatsoever. Got the idea from (big surprise here) one of my reviews. These people really inspire me...I'm not sure they know just how much they do it, though I try to let them know in my author notes. So anyway, more stuff coming your way up until the very last moment.

And thanks for writing in this thing. I really love seeing people write in this considering I don't get a lot of people doing it...which is weird since I feel like everyone else's is spammed with people's awesome comments. My theory is that if an author doesn't post for a while the readers will go and check out their author forum to see if that author has replied to any comments in a while. I do that all the time. But since I post about once a week or so...there's no need for anyone to check and see if I'm still alive.

Yep, still alive and kicking. smile.gif

#14 HoneyDukesKid

HoneyDukesKid

Second Year

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

Hey there! Guess who? I just wanted to comment about your last chapter of Keep Away (again). I have one thing to say: HA! yahoo.gif Didn't I say Oliver would kiss Jane after she miraculously catches the snitch? I did however find a problem in your chapter, Roger did not run off with me. I'm sure that's just a small oversight, however. tongue.gif

Okay, on the questions!

1. What was the favorite fanfiction that you have written so far, on HPFF or another sight?

2. In Keep Away, what was the most fun for you in writing the fanfiction?

3. What was the most challenging thing while writing KA?

4. What character in KA do you most connect with and which one is it the most fun to write?

5. Do you plan on doing anything esle with KA after you finish it? Like write a sequal, put it in another POV, ect.

6. If you do not plan on doing anything with KA once you finish, do you have any other fanfictions in mind that you are planing to write? If so, what are your thoughts?

Have fun with those! smile.gif

P.S. I called it! laugh.gif

#15 Mistress

Mistress

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE(HoneyDukesKid @ Dec 8 2008, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there! Guess who? I just wanted to comment about your last chapter of Keep Away (again). I have one thing to say: HA! yahoo.gif Didn't I say Oliver would kiss Jane after she miraculously catches the snitch? I did however find a problem in your chapter, Roger did not run off with me. I'm sure that's just a small oversight, however. tongue.gif

Okay, on the questions!

1. What was the favorite fanfiction that you have written so far, on HPFF or another sight?

4. What character in KA do you most connect with and which one is it the most fun to write?

5. Do you plan on doing anything esle with KA after you finish it? Like write a sequal, put it in another POV, ect.

6. If you do not plan on doing anything with KA once you finish, do you have any other fanfictions in mind that you are planing to write? If so, what are your thoughts?

Have fun with those! smile.gif

P.S. I called it! laugh.gif

Did I ever tell you that you make me a super happy author? Because you do. Really really super happy. I always get jealous of the people's author threads that have like 5 pages and mine has one and most of the posts are from my best friend haha. You did call it. I actually called my friend once I read your review laughing so hard because she already knew what was going to happen (she helped me think of the Oliver/Brazil fiasco) and we spent a while laughing on the phone because of how close you really came. I think there were a few other things you were close on as well, but we'll see about those.

So sorry about the Roger oversight. I must have typo'ed on that one.

That's really difficult for me because each one means something special to me. Bear with me, because I cannot pick just one. My first novel length fanfiction was a Harry/Hermione piece years and years ago that took place in their 5th, 6th, and 7th years plus one novel for the year after. I called it my Quilogy and although I would rather chew off my tongue than post my junior high writing on here, it is so dear to my heart and many times I got in trouble in 7th grade English trying to write a scene where Hermione discovered she had a different family (that was back when that idea wasn't cliche). My second is my Jack Fahrer story. There are two chapters posted on HPFF but I don't plan on posting anymore because I realized this isn't the market for an OC/OC relationship like the one I wrote. It's more for my friends. It was the first insanely complicated plot novel I ever wrote and helped me lead into my original fiction novel.
Then of course there's Keep Away. It is my favorite. I just love the characters, the tension, and the responses I have gotten from such wonderful fans. I came up with the idea last February when Oliver/OC was not common and even though now they are flourishing out of the woodwork I still think mine has a unique flare. That's what happens when you're an anal Creative Writing major I guess. But anyway, Keep Away.

Oh man, it was the humor all the way. I loved forcing Jane into awkward situations (comments about her legs, that ridiculous nurse outfit, borrowing Oliver's broom for try-outs) and I loved writing the reactions of Alicia, Angelina, and Katie. Most of my writing is based around humor and with a cast like mine--plus Fred and George--it was all there.

I think the most challenging thing was making it original and not cliche once everyone started writing Oliver/OC stories. I actually ran across one on a different site published a few months after mine came out with a character that could not fly and I was a little sad. But I think I came up with original ideas (all while not paying attention in my poetry class). And to be honest, another challenging thing was to not just post every chapter at once so my readers could have everything--I had to leave myself time to edit! Heck, right now I could post up to the last chapter but they would all be crappy so I won't.

I connect with Jane the best because, just like with all OCs, she has a bit of me inside of her. Of course I was never forced into a wonky nurse outfit and I don't have legs that stretch to southern France like Fred so delicately put it, but she has my sarcasm and humor and thought process. I would have bribed the Snitch. There are two characters that were so much fun to write that I was nearly beside myself: Oliver and Ellis. I loved Fred as well, but Oliver's sarcasm and dark wit was something of genius and I loved when he was snarky and cynical. He was just such a lovable jerk...that happened to be able to make brownies. And Ellis because...well...I love that sod. He has the alter ego side of me that is very pompous and I stretched that to its limit when I came up with him. I am writing an Ellis one-shot for my best friend for Christmas because she wanted Ellis to have his own piece of the story.

I'd never put it into another POV because that's a cop out if you ask me. But I've been toying with the idea of a sequel dealing with the summer after Oliver graduates and different things going down, but I can't decide whether or not I actually want to do it. I will definitely wait a bit if I do because I want to try my hand at something else first, but it's in the back of my mind. I think when I post chapter 27 I'm going to ask everyone's opinions on where that stands...if they would read it and what else they'd like to see from my writing style. Like I said before, I get the most inspiration from reviews. They keep me going. Also, I'm getting Keep Away put into a book. I've done it with some of my other fics before but it'll be about 225 pages, bound and looking like a book. I love just sitting up at the boyfriend's cottage in the summer rereading my own fics. It's not that expensive either which is nice.

I got an idea from one of the other reviewers and I think I am going to try a James II/OC story about James finally becoming Quidditch Captain his seventh year and his turmoil trying to deal with it and make it perfect all while dealing with his team, his classes, and the father he never saw eye-to-eye with. It'll be a humor story about a boy obsessed with Quidditch (but unlike Oliver it will be all about the team, not all about him with the scouts).

I would love other ideas as well. I want to try a Roger/OC as well since that market is pretty untapped right now so I'll see what I can get with that. I'd need some plot ideas with that though. I've also toyed with the idea of writing a story with Percy and Penny. I don't know. I need suggestions. smile.gif

*Thanks again for writing on this. I loved answering your questions! I just love questions...and reviews. Which is why I respond ridiculously fast. But anyway--yes, you totally called it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users