72 replies to this topic

#1 JLHufflepuff

JLHufflepuff

The Crazy Librarian

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:45 AM

Hello,

This is JLHufflepuff (a.k.a. Jessi) here! I'm a 7th grade English teacher and have taught for six years now. I've been writing ever since I had any clue about how to make letters, and it's a life-goal of mine to become published at some point.

I'm completely addicted to to this site. I've really enjoyed being a part of the HPFF community.

My Stories

Novels
Because It Makes Sense
(15+) - Marauders: Hufflepuff Leigh Norse/Remus Lupin.
Visions of Greatness (15+) - Next Generation: Scorpius Malfoy goes to Hogwarts.

Visions of Greatness Compatible Stories
No Matter the Cost (12+) - Hogwarts: Draco will pursue the death of Albus Dumbledore.
Dangling by a Thread (15+) Hogwarts: Will Draco survive the Final Battle. Written for The Final Battle House Cup Collab.
On This Night (12+) - Post-Hogwarts: The first Christmas after the Battle of Hogwarts.
Albus Potter's Worst Christmas Ever (12+) - Next Generation: Uncle George helps salvage the worst Christmas ever.
The Decision: A Teddy Lupin Story (12+) - Next Generation: Teddy must make a decision.
Nothing Logical (12+) - Next Generation: Aaron Stone's father wonders why strange things always happen around him.
Alone in This World (15+) Next Generation: Dominique makes the worst decision of her life.
No Surprise (12+) - Next Generation: Lily is not surprised that her letter doesn't come.
The Feeling of Flying (15+) - Next Generation: What will Scorpius do with his feelings for Rose?

Other Stories
Black As My Soul (15+ Short Story) - Marauders: Regulus Black must decide which way to go.
Peace (15+) - Hogwarts: Neville finds peace in an insane world.
Just Be With Me (12+) Post-Hogwarts: Harry and Ginny reunite after the Final Battle.

Please, ask anything about my stories - or whatever else you want!!

- Jessi :woot:

#2 GrungGranger

GrungGranger

New student

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:21 AM

You posted on my authors sight "It's good to see someone else on here who is, well, not a teenager... cool.gif "

I understand. First off let me say that I just read and reviewed the first chapter of your story and found it amazing. You should write, your talented. And most importantly I am enjoying it. Ouch, kind of self serving i guess. I still have you beat when it comes to age. You are heading into what I called "the second coming of childhood" while I'm in my fourth. yes.gif We don't stop being three, just because we turned four. It's an addition thing not a subtraction. Your very good, it's not a waist of time. Practice your craft "and post it here so I can read it for free" thumbsup.gif . Working through this process can only help you in the future. The instant feed back is good. So relax. Don't worry be happy. Now, I do want to ask you some questions. I write about issues that are close to my heart. Parenthood I had to write, I'm sure you can guess why. The other story is my "believe" story. The word believe is the very core of my existance. I had to write it even though I would say for me that it is a strech to say the least for me to attempt the writting of a story. I am a story teller, not a writter. Please understand i really want to know.

Your in tune with Scorpius, why? "I think you've got him pegged by the way"

Is reading a passion? If so what type of material and what are your favorites

Why do you write? Is it for the money? unsure.gif Are you driven? Do you want people to read and enjoy?

Thank you for writing. I'll be back.
By the was JKButcher is older too.

Grung

Edited by GrungGranger, 01 October 2007 - 04:32 AM.

GrungGranger

"I Solemnly Swear I Am Up To No Good"

Posted Image Posted Image
Magic Finds a Way +12
Parenthood +15
Click Here My Authors page

#3 JLHufflepuff

JLHufflepuff

The Crazy Librarian

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:43 PM

Grung,

Thanks for your kind comments. Writing is definitely my trade. I've written ever since I could first put letters on a page, and have always aspired to be a published author. Right now I teach 8th grade English, and in the next couple of years (hopefully) I will finish graduate studies to be a school librarian.

I'm going to attempt to answer your questions:

Your in tune with Scorpius, why? Honestly, I just thought of a good story about him and decided to write it. I like to write about things that involve relationships and emotions and human nature under stress. I am constantly analyzing all the relationships that I observe in daily life. I guess I put a small part of myself into Scorpius (the hesitant, introverted part), but the rest is all my conception of him.

Is reading a passion? YES, YES, YES!

If so what type of material and what are your favorites?
Well, obviously I'm obsessed with HP. I don't read a lot of fantasy other than that, except Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, which is very good. I read pretty much anything and everything. I like biographies, Christian reflection, historical fiction, classics, current popular fiction - right now anything that I can just relax and take my mind off of work and responsibility.

Why do you write? Hmmm... I've just always written. I don't write for money, as I certainly haven't seen any yet. I'd be a starving author if that was the case. Also, posting in a place where I can get feedback and constructive criticism is a bit what I imagine crack to be like! I just can't stop. It's also been very fun because I have my mom and sister (I imagine) hanging on my every word with this story. I love it! Right now I feel driven to write this story, thoughI have several other original ideas that I have started and then dropped due to a lack of discipline/direction. After I finish writing this fic (and maybe some possible sequels) I intend to go through the planning process like I have been for this story and hopefully finish the others ...

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reviews and questions! I really appreciate it!

#4 Girldetective85

Girldetective85

Kickboxing Instructor/ Quidditch Ref

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:46 AM

Hi JLHufflepuff! Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your reviews for my stories, and how much I'm enjoying your story about Scorpius. I have two chapters to go and can't wait to see what happens next! I favorited you as an author, I really like your work and I hope to read more of it.

I have a few questions for you...

What got you started at HPFF? When did you decide to start writing fanfiction?

Do you write original work? If so, what about and what inspires you?

You said that you teach 8th grade ... do your students know that you like Harry Potter, and are you planning on ever sharing your stories with them?

Posted Image
QUADRIVIUM (15+)
2009 Dobby Winner for Best Founders Era

Absolutely INCREDIBLE sig by chiQs09
My Stories (12+) || Meet the Author || My Blog (15+)

#5 JLHufflepuff

JLHufflepuff

The Crazy Librarian

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE(Girldetective85 @ Oct 16 2007, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi JLHufflepuff! Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your reviews for my stories, and how much I'm enjoying your story about Scorpius. I have two chapters to go and can't wait to see what happens next! I favorited you as an author, I really like your work and I hope to read more of it.

Thanks!!! It makes me really happy that you like my story and that you favorited me! Yay! I really like reading your work as well, by the way.

What got you started at HPFF? When did you decide to start writing fanfiction?

I got started at HPFF after I read Deathly Hallows. I had read a few fan fictions on other sites and really liked them and wanted to write one of my own. I was thinking of writing an Albus Severus story, but then I saw one that I thought was absolutely awesome and couldn't bear to try to improve on it... So I went with Scorpius, and I'm really glad I did!

Do you write original work? If so, what about and what inspires you?

I do write original work... I have wanted to be a published author ever since I was really little and have been writing (and not finishing) for my whole life. What inspires me?? HMMM... Well, I am really interested in human nature and relationships between people. My best friends in college were psych and sociology majors, and I think I developed my interest in that along with them.

All my original stories have to do with psychological or spiritual issues I am concerned with at certain times. I'm a Christian, so the "big" story I have right now has to deal with Christian themes. I could never get all the way through writing this story because I have a problem with plot structure (I think).. My mom is so irritated that I am spending a lot of time writing fan fiction when she thinks I should be writing my own stuff.. However, I really feel that my writing is improving because I am making myself write my Scorpius story, and if I actually have the self-discipline to finish it, I think I can make it on my own stuff, also.

You said that you teach 8th grade ... do your students know that you like Harry Potter, and are you planning on ever sharing your stories with them?

If I see a student carrying an HP book, I will ask them about it and try to find out their level of geekiness in that regard before I start talking about it. Almost all the kids who were carrying Deathly Hallows around after school started in September were reading it for the second time. I was so proud of them.

**start off-topic moment ** A couple weeks ago someone wrote something about "Mr. Longbottom," in a group writing project we did, so I practically yelled, "Who's the Harry Potter fan in this group?!" They all looked at me like I was crazy, but another kid across the room started freaking out about his love for HP. Then he said, quite crazily, "I am Ron Weasley! I act like him, and I look like him. DUH! I have red hair!" And then he pulled out a picture of himself with longer hair, and he actually did kind of look like Rupert Grint in that pic. **end off-topic moment**

ANYWAY, I don't think I will share my stories with them because I am a little embarassed by my obsessive geekiness. However, a student saw me writing in my "notebook" while they were writing a prompt about something, and he asked me if I was writing a novel.. I was like, "Well, sort of."

Well, thanks for posting to my little forum here! I was so shocked to see someone else had posted here! YAY! :-)

Edited by JLHufflepuff, 18 October 2007 - 03:39 AM.

#6 gryffindorseeker

gryffindorseeker

Third Year

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:45 AM

Hullo! Okay, I've only read one chapter of your fic (I'm tryin' to catch up!), but I love it. So far, it has no Next Gen clichés, and Next Gen clichés bother me almost as much as Harmony and Dramione tongue.gif . But yes, I will read the other chapters asap, but I've got some questions too.

1. How long have you been writing? Did you start out with fanfic or original fiction? Do you dream of penning the Great American Novel?

2. Did you like Deathly Hallows overall? From a literary perspective?

3. Is there a character that you love to read but hate to write? And vice versa?

4. Lame cop out questions: Favorite HP book? Movie?

5. What would your animagus form be? Patronus?

6. If you could claim any of the Deathly Hallows for yourself, which would you pick?

7. What's your favorite ship? Least favorite?

HPFF 12+ || eHPF M || Forum Rules

icon = diamondeyesss @ lj

#7 JLHufflepuff

JLHufflepuff

The Crazy Librarian

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(gryffindorseeker @ Oct 20 2007, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hullo! Okay, I've only read one chapter of your fic (I'm tryin' to catch up!), but I love it. So far, it has no Next Gen clichés, and Next Gen clichés bother me almost as much as Harmony and Dramione tongue.gif . But yes, I will read the other chapters asap, but I've got some questions too.

I'm so happy you're reading my fic! And don't feel pressured to have to write a novel for every chapter. I mean, I would love it and would benefit from it.. But, yeah... It's whatever!

There are a lot of Next-Gen clichés, and I am trying to avoid most, if not all, of them...

1. How long have you been writing? Did you start out with fanfic or original fiction? Do you dream of penning the Great American Novel?

I've been writing my own stuff since I was a little tyke... It was so angsty even then. Anyway, I do dream of becoming a famous author one day. I never dreamed of penning the Great American Novel - I think I actually wanted to be Charles Dickens. So it would be the Great British Novel. But I'm not British. Oops. Now I want to be Chaim Potok or Jodi Piccoult. Or at least copy their styles. I know that if I actually disciplined myself to just finish something that I might have a chance....

2. Did you like Deathly Hallows overall? From a literary perspective?

When I read Deathly Hallows (or any of the novels) for the first time, I was reading so fast because I just wanted to find out what happened, so I missed the finer literary elements in them. I just finished re-reading the entire series (last night, actually). In the second reading, I noticed so many things that were just - marvelous! The end of HBP from the point where Dumbledore drinks the potion until the very end was just absolute brilliance. In DH, I can almost tell that JKR is taking her time saying good-bye. I know that a lot of people criticize it for being too rambling, but I think that each part was necessary in advancing the plot. And toward the end of the novel, it was just beautiful.... I read that JKR's mom died right as she was starting to write HP and that it really influenced her ideas. Well, I can totally see where she has a personal investment with analyzing death and how it affects us.

3. Is there a character that you love to read but hate to write? And vice versa?

Hmmm... I haven't really tried write anyone other than Scorpius... But I know that I really don't like reading Hermione stories unless it's (good) Dramione... I totally ship her and Ron, but I don't know that I've seen a H/R fiction that has interested me. That would indeed be a challenge - writing one that is substantial.

There really is no vice-versa because I've only written little Scorp. and Alb., and I like reading good fics about them... smile.gif

4. Lame cop out questions: Favorite HP book? Movie?

Favorite books --- POA, OOTP, HBP, DH. Okay, that's not one book... But I really can't decide... Those are all soo good! My least favorite is definately COS!

I really don't like the movies very much. That's why I'm such a latecomer to the HP world. I watched the first movie and was bored out of my mind! I really liked the OOTP movie the best, even though they totally cut out some good parts, because I think it captured the essence of the novel and that Dan Radcliffe's acting was at least decent. Prisoner of Azkaban was all right, also. However, I do think it's cute watching baby Harry in SS.! He's so little!

5. What would your animagus form be? Patronus?

I would probably be a cat as an animagus. A siamese cat.

My patronus?? Hmmmm.... that's way harder. I'm going to have to think about that.

6. If you could claim any of the Deathly Hallows for yourself, which would you pick?

The invisibility cloak, definitely.!

7. What's your favorite ship? Least favorite?

Hmmmm... I'm pretty much not a lover or hater of any particular ship... I'll read/like anything that is skillfully done, yes, even stupid/non-canon pairings. If the author can make it believable and can write well, I get hooked.

I really dislike the majority of James/Lily fics, although I have read a few that are amazing. I don't like it when Harry is with anyone but Ginny, although there are some pretty bad H/G's out there... Voldemort with anyone just makes my skin crawl... ihh!!!

Thanks for all your questions! They were fun!!!!!!

Edited by JLHufflepuff, 20 October 2007 - 02:24 PM.

#8 Girldetective85

Girldetective85

Kickboxing Instructor/ Quidditch Ref

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(JLHufflepuff @ Oct 17 2007, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I went with Scorpius, and I'm really glad I did!

I'm glad you did too! Your Scorpius story blows the other Scorpius stories out of the water. I am so sick of reading about how Scorpius and Rose (or Scorpius and Lily) fall madly in love (as ELEVEN-YEAR-OLDS) and how their families prevent them, yadda yadda.

Your story focuses on friendship and school and daily life too, which is very true to the series. Love it!

My mom is so irritated that I am spending a lot of time writing fan fiction when she thinks I should be writing my own stuff.. However, I really feel that my writing is improving because I am making myself write my Scorpius story, and if I actually have the self-discipline to finish it, I think I can make it on my own stuff, also.

Fanfiction is a great way to work on your writing, definitely! I mean, you can never publish the stuff, so why not just put it out there and work on plots, characterization, etc.? It doesn't hurt. And then when it comes time to write another original New York Times bestseller, you're set! lol

If I see a student carrying an HP book, I will ask them about it and try to find out their level of geekiness in that regard before I start talking about it. Almost all the kids who were carrying Deathly Hallows around after school started in September were reading it for the second time. I was so proud of them.

**start off-topic moment ** A couple weeks ago someone wrote something about "Mr. Longbottom," in a group writing project we did, so I practically yelled, "Who's the Harry Potter fan in this group?!" They all looked at me like I was crazy, but another kid across the room started freaking out about his love for HP. Then he said, quite crazily, "I am Ron Weasley! I act like him, and I look like him. DUH! I have red hair!" And then he pulled out a picture of himself with longer hair, and he actually did kind of look like Rupert Grint in that pic. **end off-topic moment**

Hahahaha hilarious!!!! My brother actually has a friend who LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE RUPERT GRINT. It's really, really scary. We were watching Goblet of Fire and he goes, "Omg Ron is the spitting image of my friend." I guess there are many Rons walking the Earth.

ANYWAY, I don't think I will share my stories with them because I am a little embarassed by my obsessive geekiness. However, a student saw me writing in my "notebook" while they were writing a prompt about something, and he asked me if I was writing a novel.. I was like, "Well, sort of."

I know, isn't it weird that there's this big taboo about fanfiction? I don't tell people I write it either. I don't consider myself an obsessive nerd, but I guess people would? Whatever, you know? We have fun with it, we're better writers for it. It's a guilty pleasure biggrin.gif

Posted Image
QUADRIVIUM (15+)
2009 Dobby Winner for Best Founders Era

Absolutely INCREDIBLE sig by chiQs09
My Stories (12+) || Meet the Author || My Blog (15+)

#9 InsanityRulz

InsanityRulz

First Year

• Members Elite
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:37 AM

Hello there!

First, I must commend you on your excellent portrayal of Scorpius. When I read the next story of his, I still imagined him to be the timid li'l boy with the sketchbook! So, I'm not reading anymore for today wink.gif wub.gif

I have a few questions for you!

1) In your story, which is the one character you can associate with as a person? (Just wanted to ask that!)
2) Where did you get inspired to write your excellent story "Visions of Greatness"?
3) If you had an option to put Scorpius elsewhere, where would it be?

That's all for now ^_^

Posted Image

“Every writer I know has trouble writing.”
“A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.”

| Meet the Author (12+) | Request Reviews [Active] (12+) | My Original Works(12+ to Mature)
| SAYS (12+) | | Gluttony (12+ to Mature)

Posted Image
A Draco/Hermione story Rating: Mature

Are you A Snape/Lily Shipper? Then click HERE to read my story (15+)

"By all means continue destroying my possessions. I daresay I have too many." Tribe Dumbledore

#10 JLHufflepuff

JLHufflepuff

The Crazy Librarian

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

Yay! Another post here! Thanks for your nice words!

QUOTE(InsanityRulz @ Oct 20 2007, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) In your story, which is the one character you can associate with as a person? (Just wanted to ask that!)

Aaron Stone, hands down. I did incorporate a bit of myself into each person, but he is the one whose overall personality is similar to mine. I didn't realize I did that, but in giving him Hufflepuff attributes, I drew largely on myself. He's introverted and doesn't have a lot of friends but would loyally defend the ones he does. He's smart but a bit ... indecisive and cautious, which is both good and bad... He is an extreme people-pleaser and a peacemaker.

I took his name from a character in one of my original fictions that I hope to publish someday, but his personality turned out to be a lot different from that character... So he's a male version of me, just with that name! :-)

2) Where did you get inspired to write your excellent story "Visions of Greatness"?

Hrm. I'm not really sure if there was just a moment I got the whole idea. I wanted to get into writing HP fan fiction or doing a roleplay before DH came out, but I just didn't for some reason. When I read the Epilogue, I thought that it was a major wave from JKR to fanfic writers.... I decided to write about Scorpius and then just started getting little ideas here and there until I had an (almost) fully developed plot. One thing was that I couldn't stand the fact that Harry just left the Resurrection Stone in the Forest and that Dumbledore was okay with that! Ihh! There had to be something happen with it, right?

3) If you had an option to put Scorpius elsewhere, where would it be?

Do you mean in a different House from where I put him? It would have probably been Gryffindor. As I've written him, he's brave to a point but has many other Slytherin-y qualities that totally override that. In Chapter 2, the Hat told him he would barely make it in Ravenclaw and that he wasn't loyal enough for Hufflepuff, both very true statements! So that left Gryffindor or Slytherin, but he subconsciously wanted Slytherin. The Hat (being, well, the Hat) knew it, so that's what he got.... I hope I answered the right questions!

Wow, these are fun and make me happy!

Edited by JLHufflepuff, 21 October 2007 - 09:50 PM.

#11 InsanityRulz

InsanityRulz

First Year

• Members Elite
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:55 AM

Oh wow! Thanks for answering them wub.gif

Posted Image

| Meet the Author (12+) | Request Reviews [Active] (12+) | My Original Works(12+ to Mature)

Posted Image

"By all means continue destroying my possessions. I daresay I have too many." Tribe Dumbledore

#12 InsanityRulz

InsanityRulz

First Year

• Members Elite
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:17 AM

Can I call you Jessie? biggrin.gif I have few more questions for you!!

1) Which is your favourite epic?
2) Fantasy or Sci-fi?
3) Why Dumbledore and not Marauders?
4) Passion or Wisdom?
5) Romance or humour?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 JLHufflepuff

JLHufflepuff

The Crazy Librarian

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:34 AM

This post makes me happy because I love answering questions!

QUOTE(InsanityRulz @ Nov 10 2007, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I call you Jessie? biggrin.gif I have few more questions for you!!

Yes, you totally can!

1) Which is your favourite epic?

Hmmm.. that's a hard one. There are a lot of them that I love, but right now Lord of the Rings is the only thing coming to mind. That or Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...

2) Fantasy or Sci-fi?

Fantasy, for sure! I love getting to read about totally different worlds that could never possibly exist. I think I like this a little too much. I like some Sci-Fi. But my brain isn't very scientific, so I lose interest sometimes...

3) Why Dumbledore and not Marauders?

Erm... Am I sensing a hidden meaning to these questions? Are you trying to convert me? It won't work. cool.gif Actually, a Dumbledorian was the first to kindly ask me to support their tribe.. Having pledged my allegiance to good ol' Dumbly, I had to stay true to my just and loyal Hufflepuff nature... Plus, well, Dumbledore is just so noble and timeless..

4) Passion or Wisdom?

Wisdom. Passion is always a good thing, and it's necessary... But wisdom can help us to control ourselves in our passions and can guide us when we need it. I wish I had more wisdom than I do!!!

5) Romance or humour?

I like them both, depending on my mood. Romance is always good when I feel all sappy and girly, but humor is good, too!

Thank you so much for the questions... Happy me! *sighs* I know you want to join Tribe Dumbledore!

Edited by JLHufflepuff, 11 November 2007 - 05:39 AM.

#14 InsanityRulz

InsanityRulz

First Year

• Members Elite
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:28 AM

XD I do not want to convert you! I was just curious Jessie-poo (now that you've given me the right to call you by your name, I think I'm gonna abuse the right a wee bit biggrin.gif)

Okay, more questions?

1) Which would you prefer? A Dramoine or Harry/Hermione? *shudder at the latter*
2) Who's your favourite HP character, why?
3) Blue whale or dolphin?
4) Scorpion or Snake?
5) Venomous or hateful? XD

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 JLHufflepuff

JLHufflepuff

The Crazy Librarian

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE(InsanityRulz @ Nov 11 2007, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) Which would you prefer? A Dramoine or Harry/Hermione? *shudder at the latter*

I also shudder at Harry/Hermione. In my mind, Harry has to be with Ginny... It's so hard for me to read it!

Anyway, I've really started liking Dramione against my better judgment. Okay, actually with my good judgment, I guess. I like canon everything, usually, but I think there are a lot of good Dramione ideas out there that are well-done. I've yet to see a really good Hermione/Ron...

2) Who's your favourite HP character, why?

This is difficult... Verrrry difficult... I obviously like Harry the most. I can't really get past that.

Others that I love are Remus Lupin, Draco, Dumbledore ... and all of them really...

The only character I don't really like is Hagrid...

3) Blue whale or dolphin?

Hrm... I guess a dolphin because I used to watch Flipper.

4) Scorpion or Snake?

Scorpion - because of my little child Scorpius.

5) Venomous or hateful? XD

I really think those are synonyms, and I would prefer neither... If I had to choose - I'd say venomous..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users