• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 _Kreacher_

_Kreacher_

New student

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

I use Bebo alot, because alot of my friends live all around the country and its a good way to keep in touch, but after a lot of news programs concerning the saftey, Im a little worried.
It asks for you to join your school. I did this, but apparently this is a big No-no. Is that right?
I've made my page private, taken down all pictures of myself and used a nickname rather than my real name. I took away my age and where i live. Is there anything else i should do?

And I have made two amazing friends on a forum. One lives quite far away, he's 17 and ive seen him several times on webcam. My other friend lives closer to me, and a friend of mine knows her. So I'm pretty sure theyre not Internet stalkers, and we began talking about meeting up. We would each bring a friend. Would this be a particularly bad idea? I dont normally think meeting people is okay, but I've known them for a year and they both have pretty good ties.

Thanks!

#2 BitterEpiphany

BitterEpiphany

Madame Pomfrey

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:48 AM

I have a life policy - "strangers aren't dangerous - its the people who you're willing to unlock the front door for who pose a real threat to you."

I know that runs contrary to most of the mainstream media frenzy, but it's true. Most people who have an issue with a person that they meet online do not find their issues arising from someone stalking their information down and showing up at their door - in most cases, it results from a scheduled meeting much like the one you're talking about. With that having been said, however, if you're going to do it, it's a good idea to take a friend with you, and even better to, in addition to the friend, let an adult (preferably a parent) know where you're going to be, who you will be meeting, when you will be back and how to get in touch with you while you're gone. The fact of the matter is that 'the internet' doesn't make anyone necessarily more dangerous than any other joe off the street that you might decide to sit down and have coffee with, so the basic rules of keep your gaurd up and follow the laws of common sense apply. A very public meeting place is always advised and not being silly enough to go for a private walk down a dark alley or getting into this relative strangers car is a good tip as well.

Personally, I take meeting people that you've gotten to know online to, in most cases, be much more trouble than it's worth. The internet relationships that we develop allow us to trust people with our emotions in a situation where we haven't yet had to trust them with our safety, and it's all too often the case that, when you meet someone "IRL," as they say, the trust is transfered far too prematurely, which can end very badly.

@HPFF [12+] | @HPFF Blog [12+] | @Twitter [M] | @Home [M] | @dA [15+] | @Personal Blog [M] | @Studio [15+] | @NaNo [M]

I am on vacation - honest to goodness, real life vacation. I will handle requests upon my return.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users