• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Jay

Jay

Teacher

• Site Owner
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

If you find a mention of the site in a magazine, paper or on TV etc. Please post here and let me know. I like to keep a record of where the site was seen.

As the site gains in popularity, we are getting mentions in books, magazines and newspapers as well as on the net.

We`ve been mentioned in the book "A Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the HARRY POTTER Universe", as well as "Potter`s world". A book by one of our very own fanfic authors here at HPFF, Linda Green.

Several newspapers have mentioned the site as well. The latest being the UK`s "Sunday Telegraph" which ran an item in it`s July 15th magazine supplement, praising a certain Logical Raven for having " writing sharper than that of his mentor [JK Rowling] "

While I am sure Logical is thrilled at the mention, I would like to point out the he is in fact a she wink.gif

I`ve put a little taster of the article below. The full article can be found here.

The article was also carried by "Scientific American"

The brilliance of Logical Raven, who is a teacher in his day job, is that he is entirely logical about the Potter world; he realises, for example, that Aunt Petunia is of course a bad witch, that Mundungus stole the Slytherin locket which contained one of the horcruxes, and that R.A.B. are the initials of Regulus Black, brother of Sirius.

And his writing is sharper than that of his mentor, but then it is not hard to improve on the flat prose of J K. In fact, it is quite possibly because her own style is so bland that her readers feel able to play with her characters, format and eye for detail. (It would be a tougher job by far to extract Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire from the intricate and ironic sentences of Lemony Snicket’s Series of Unfortunate Events).

If J K Rowling were to read the works of Logical Raven, how could she avoid feeling, if not destroyed by her own creation, at least a little mauled by his claws?

#2 kelstar

kelstar

First Year

• Members Elite
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

Wow, this site is soooo big! Metioned in newspapers, congrats!

#3 almost_witch

almost_witch

Third Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:50 AM

There was an article I cut out of the newspaper about a month and a half ago that had a mention of HPFF in it. I'll tyep out the little part that had HPFF mentioned in it:

The Harry Potter generation had taken to the internet, drawn to sites such as mugglenet.com, the behemoth of Harry Potter fan sites, where members can discuss anything from Rowling's allusions to Arthurian legend to which characters will die in harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Or they might try fan fiction: harrypotterfanfiction.com now has more than 41,000 stories, making it one of the largest fan fiction wedsites.

I squeed so much when I read the article. it was in an Australian newspaper called The Age, in a well-sized article about the end of Harry Potter. It was called The Magnificent Seven, but there is no way I'm going to write out the full article. I'll keep my eye out for more stuff too.

Posted Image
credit to Colorkiller
Governor A. Witch on PottersWorld.net

#4 joojoo

joojoo

First Year

• Members Elite
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:42 PM

Wow - congrats to LogicalRaven. You must be feeling so proud! I haven't seen anything of HPFF on any article so far, but I'll be sure to keep my eyes open!
x

#5 Arithmancy_Wiz

Arithmancy_Wiz

The Site Wiz

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:05 AM

There was a brief mention of the site in The Star Ledger, one of New Jersey's largest daily newspapers. It was in the "Today" section (pg 33) of the May 10th edition. The article was part of a collection of weekly segments focused soley on Harry Potter, in anticipation of the then upcoming release of Deathly Hollows. Each week there was a different theme. This particular article was dedicated to HP fanfiction.

Here is a quote from the article:

The Muggles are writing back. With the countdown to the final installment of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series under way, some fans of the books have taken matters into their own hands. Fan fiction, a phenomenon that was born in the science-fiction community some 20 years ago, has spread far and wide thanks to the internet bringing devoted fans of books, films and TV shows together. And the Harry Potter phenomenon is in full flower there.

The Web site www.fanfiction.net has almost 300,000 Potter stories, and the number grows daily. Other sites - www.harrypotterfanfiction.com, www.mugglenet.com and www.sugarquill.net - also post fan fiction, but they have guidelines and rules for submitting.

(original article by Claudia Perry)

I cut the article out months ago but it got packed away during my move. Finally found it amongst the piles of boxes! Let me know if you need/want more info smile.gif

set by hayley jade @TDA

Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

Author's Page (12+) / @HPFF Twitter (12+)

#6 timeturner

timeturner

Head Mistress/ Prof of Siriusly Black Magic

• Emeritus Staff Members
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:06 AM

International Herald Tribune
Seattle Post Intelligencer
Yale Daily News
CNN
Wall Street Journal
The Age (Australian)
The Star (Canada)
MSNBC
Dallas Morning News
WFAA-TV (ABC affiliate)

#7 lilyandjamesfan

lilyandjamesfan

Site Shipper

• Members Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:20 PM

wow that is amazing and its great to hear writers like LogicalRaven getting that kind of praise from a national newspaper.

reglion.jpg

Av and Sig by Me

My Author Page (M)

#8 Vera_Black_Potter

Vera_Black_Potter

Second Year

• Members Elite
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:43 PM

On Harry Potter Wiki in the list on HP Fan Sites:

QUOTE(Taken from Wikipedia)
... Harry Potter Fan Fiction.Com: A fan fiction site with over 44,000 stories archived.

So what if I made the edit myself? It's still mentioned. tongue.gif

And congrats to LogicalRaven (and of course Jay) for being so famous!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
icons by the brilliant bwahahahabeck @ LJ <3

#9 Selene

Selene

Head of Slytherin/Keeper of the Clock

• Validator
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

The site was mentioned in the Des Moines Register over the summer. I'm not sure what it said, since I was in a different state and my mom lost the article. sad.gif

#10 DarwinRules

DarwinRules

New student

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:04 AM

Go LogicalRaven!!

HPFF.com was also mentioned in Xpose! In issue 94 of Xpose magazine our very own Firefawn was mentioned, and the site in conjunction since the article referenced his story. It stated that Firefawn drew the reader in with "unpretentious Gothic imagery and lucid storytelling," and mentioned that their story, Eclipse of the Sky, was representative of the darker genre of fanfiction. yes.gif

Link: http://www.mugglenet...94_2005_pg3.jpg

#11 xx_pumpkinn_xx

xx_pumpkinn_xx

New student

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

I must admit that I love randomly brosing wikipedia, and to my surprise, found this :

Another major Harry Potter Fan Fiction site is harrypotterfanfiction.com [1], which boasts to be the oldest, and best unofficial Harry Potter Fan Fiction site. The site is particularly family friendly, as each story goes through a validation queue, which are then reviewed by respectable, adults. The site includes spin-off sites such as a forum community, a graphics site that makes banners for stories on the fan fiction archive, the-dark-arts.net [2], and a Harry Potter Role Playing World, Potter's World. Some notable staff on the site include Jay, the sites founder, BitterEpiphany, a Forum Administrator, and timeturner, LogicalRaven, RavenGryffindor, (administrators on the archive itself), and Violet, an administrator on the graphics forum.

Did any of you write this? I mean, there's too much inside information to be posted by just a random person. But nevertherless, I squeed when I saw this =) ^_^

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
all icons by the beautiful fantôme @tda <3
also known as lily4evrmore : Into Temptation [15+]│Whispers of the Willows[15+] Classics and Clichés [M]
"don't worry, penni has an intimidating and hostile aura"

#12 Ellarose C

Ellarose C

First Year

• Members Elite
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:07 PM

There was an article in the paper today that just was... lol sooo prefect. smile.gif

'Fan Fiction Is As Old As Storytelling Itself' (12+)

I thought this might belong here.

~ Caroline

Posted Image
avatar by me, sig by Joanne K - power to the Raves!

$ My Author's Page (12/15+) $ Ask Me Something (12+) $ My DeviantART (M) $ My Pilot Gallery (15+) $

$ Read my NaNo Novel! (15+)$

We've all dyed our eyebrows yellow for the festivities. What's YOUR house doing?

#13 Regina_Noctis

Regina_Noctis

New student

• Members+
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

I actually saw this on MIT.edu in one of their random articles of the week. Can't remember if HPFF was mentioned by name or not, but it was about how fanfiction is spreading international English literacy.

Regina Noctis
haud moribunda iacet, vivitque vigetque Latina

HPFF (Mature) ~ Meet the Author (12+) ~ FictionCentral (Mature) ~ FanFiction.Net (Mature)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

To err is human. . . to utterly foul things up requires a computer.

Ninety-five percent of teenagers are concerned about being popular. If you are one of the five percent who aren't, copy this,
put it in your sig, and add your name: SereneChaos, Varda, TheGreenFairy, Juna, Elemental Vampyre, Lily_girl, Regina_Noctis
98 percent of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2 percent who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
92 percent of the world's teens would die if Abercombie and Fitch or Aeropostale told them it was uncool to breathe.
Copy this in your sig if you would be the 8 percent that would be laughing your head off.

#14 Skin&Bones_

Skin&Bones_

First Year

• Members Elite
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

The article was also carried by "Scientific American"

within the article

...would be what 'fen' (the plural of 'fan' in fanfic speak) call...

ok, so when did we start saying 'fen' is what I wonder?

*Thought I would be able to wait out the image ban, but it's not happening*

Have you read Playing Cat and Mouse?
:3 *points down*

"You'll be the death of me," Blaise let slip from his lips as he took a moment and leaned into Draco for a whisper.

Draco grinned, silver eyes flashing mischievously.

"I should hope for no less,"

-Chapter 1 of Nine Lives

PS: It's Arrived {CLICK [M]}

Want to know more? Ask at my Ask Me Page or check out my Live Journal *points down again*

Author Page [12+] - Ask Me Page [12+] - LJ [15+]

#15 tell_me_what_the_truth_is

tell_me_what_the_truth_is

Site DJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:33 AM

'fen'? what is THAT? LOL never heard that before haha. I might start using it. hello all fen.... yes. I rather like that tongue.gif

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users