Photo
- - - - -

I Am An Idiot

Posted by BitterEpiphany , 13 February 2012 · 636 views

So, it will come as no surprise to anyone who follows me on twitter or follows my personal blog that I'm in the process of moving. Strictly speaking, I'm actually in the process of packing because I don't get the keys to the new place until the first of March but I'll be damned if, right now, this doesn't feel like the hard part.

I work in a huge office and I've been collecting the boxes from 8-1/2 x 11 paper for a little over a month now, two at a time, three days a week and, up to now, box mountain has just been growing in the corner. I should give myself the credit that is due - I packed a box of DVD's and video games last week and yesterday I started wrapping up some breakables from one of my bookshelves because I found a stack of newsprint laying around but, other than that, I haven't done anything. Mostly, it's because I'm a pretty organized thinker. I leave for Europe about two and a half weeks after I move and I'm terrified of trying to find my travel toothbrush amidst another, more disorganized box mountain made by haphazardly throwing things together. (Never mind that that's exactly what will happen if I keep ignoring my packing responsibility.)

In my mind, what I want to do is pack a box of, for example, painting paraphernalia - brushes, dishes, loose acrylics, watercolors, etc... - label it neatly and put it in the corner to be moved. The problem is that when it comes time to find a box of painting things, I can't. The brushes are in a cup on the coffee table, there's a tube of white acrylic on my desk, a crate of random acrylics on the bookshelf and I have no earthly idea where I left the oils. To find them, I have to sift through mountains of other crap (and yes, Internet, it's really just crap) that it's all buried under.

Aside from the really obvious realization that I need more storage space - hello, moving! - I've been really struggling on what to do. Until, that is, this afternoon when I had the epiphany that I could label and line up the boxes on the floor and just start putting things in the right box.

It's taken me like a month and a ton of freak-outs to figure out what every six year old knows. Sometimes, they key really is to just take it one step at a time.
I'm off to pack the contents of my coffee table now :)

I don't think I would have ever thought of that. :) Good luck with moving and the trip!
Photo
Gryffin_Duck
Feb 13 2012 02:25 AM
That is such a good idea. I just throw stuff randomly into boxes and that has resulted in many things disappearing over the past four years. College has that effect. :laugh:
Photo
Georgia Weasley
Feb 13 2012 02:41 AM
Moving sucks. Period. The packing is the worst thing ever. Last time, I just labeled boxes by room, swept things into the boxes, and put them there when we got to the new place. Good luck with this! I always procrastinate until it's a dire situation.
Photo
Arithmancy_Wiz
Feb 13 2012 03:06 AM
No exaggeration, in the last nine years, I have moved seven times. Here are the two things I have learned: (1) Do NOT tape any of your boxes until you are done packing. You will regret it and either end up opening and retaping the boxes half a dozen times or else packing your underwear in with the blender. (2) Leave one large box empty until the very last moment. This is where you can stick everything that has no other logical place to go. Accept that one box will be full of crap but know that you can always just shove it in the corner of your new apartment and pretend it doesn't exist. If you're like me, you won't even open it and it will just be ready to go the next time you have to move :D
Photo
BitterEpiphany
Feb 13 2012 05:00 AM
LOL, will do, a_wiz. I move people all the time but I myself move very seldomly. I moved my dad in three days - we crossed three states, twice, packed his two bedroom apartment, brought it back and unpacked it in 72 hours. I did not sleep. Also, nothing got broken. Somehow, this seems harder because I still need things!!! It's easier when you can pack everything but the paper plates, plastic silverware and toilet paper - somehow, trying to only pack the things I'm not going to use is a major commitment. "Pack the candy molds? But what if I want to make lollipops..."

I'm totally a huge fan of the "Random Stuff That Got Forgotten" box though....the things you find behind the couch...things you find in the back of the kitchen cabinets...

Recent Comments

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

April 2014

S M T W T F S
20212223 24 2526